PDA

View Full Version : The Dream Act

boxcar
12-08-2010, 10:41 PM
This piece of garbage legislation passed the House by a margin of only 18 votes or so, surprisingly. However, anyone laying any bets that at least one Repug in the Senate won't break ranks? This is all it would take to get this passed. An unanimous block of Rs is needed to force a filibuster to kill this. Anything less would make the score, Dems 3; Repugs 0 during this lame duck.

Boxcar

Jay Trotter
12-08-2010, 10:48 PM
How could you possibly be against DREAMS!!!

http://www.moonand6.com/wp-content/gallery/front-page-items/grinch_santa.jpg

This piece of garbage legislation passed the House by a margin of only 18 votes or so, surprisingly. However, anyone laying any bets that at least one Repug in the Senate won't break ranks? This is all it would take to get this passed. An unanimous block of Rs is needed to force a filibuster to kill this. Anything less would make the score, Dems 3; Repugs 0 during this lame duck.

Boxcar

Tom
12-08-2010, 11:03 PM
It's a bad act.
That is why libs love it.
No sense to it at all.
You equate college with service.

BS.

If they want to serve, fine, let them serve than give them a green card.

But college, and WE pay for it - BS.

Maybe an earthquake will hit DC before the lame ducks leave......that is MY Dream.

boxcar
12-08-2010, 11:19 PM
How could you possibly be against DREAMS!!!

http://www.moonand6.com/wp-content/gallery/front-page-items/grinch_santa.jpg

It very simple. I'll even put it terms you might understand: Disregard for the Rule of Law is not exactly the American Dream.

Boxcar
P.S. By the way, is that you in the caption?

nijinski
12-08-2010, 11:44 PM
Does this mean ,whatever I want ,all I have to do is Dream .

TJDave
12-09-2010, 01:45 AM
This piece of garbage legislation passed the House

IMO, this is a fair piece of legislation. It allows the best of those who came here as juveniles a chance to remain. Why do you consider it garbage?

nijinski
12-09-2010, 02:15 AM
IMO, this is a fair piece of legislation. It allows the best of those who came here as juveniles a chance to remain. Why do you consider it garbage?

Many people as well as politicians fear it will encourage a larger influx
of illegal immigration coming to seek amnesty .

As it is they would also then qualify for the Pell grants that are back on the
table. Very nice package we would be giving away while we struggle to get our kids into college.

TJDave
12-09-2010, 02:41 AM
As it is they would also then qualify for the Pell grants that are back on the
table. Very nice package we would be giving away while we struggle to get our kids into college.

Under the terms of this bill they would not qualify for Pell grants.

nijinski
12-09-2010, 03:20 AM
Under the terms of this bill they would not qualify for Pell grants.

You know what then , if you get a tax refund then you can donate it to them.

TJDave
12-09-2010, 03:35 AM
You know what then , if you get a tax refund then you can donate it to them.

Why would I want to do that?

newtothegame
12-09-2010, 03:40 AM

How do you define "best"? Or is that somewhere in the bill about college "qualifications"?

First off, I am against it, when so many of our own kids would love to have a free education. Is there something in the bill to get that money back?
I currently PAY out of my pocket for my grandaughters education.
If, she is a citizen of this country and has to pay her own way, how can they bring someone in, offer them citizenship, and pay their way for them? Seems to me somethings wrong with that picture!
I am not against them becoming productive citizens......just do it the way that is ALREADY in place. I mean millions before them have done it that way!

TJDave
12-09-2010, 03:54 AM
First off, I am against it, when so many of our own kids would love to have a free education. Is there something in the bill to get that money back?
I currently PAY out of my pocket for my grandaughters education.
If, she is a citizen of this country and has to pay her own way, how can they bring someone in, offer them citizenship, and pay their way for them?

Who's paying their way...Or offering citizenship?

Have you read the bill?

newtothegame
12-09-2010, 04:48 AM

Have you read the bill?

Actually, I have read SOME...and based on "In state tuition" language, or lack thereof, it would seem to me that most illegals who can show residence in a state would be eligible for state help. If this is not the case, can you explain why there are estimates that this will cost U.S tax payers about 6.2 billion (i believe ) per year? If they are paying their own way, why is there a "cost" to it?
Next, what about the "potential" loophole for criminals? As reported in the news, the bill would allow people with up to two priors to be eligible. Now Sen Durbin has come out and said that no one with a FELONY would be eligible. Well gee, that's pretty broad range of crimes one can committ and still be eligible.
Next, you and I both know it offers a path to citizenship if they fulfill military or college obligations.
Don't you live in Mexico?
If as you mentioned (and still yet to answer although I answered your questions), we are getting the "BEST", why would you not want to keep the "BEST" in mexico? Or whatever country they are from?
Seems to me I would want to keep the best and brightest in my home country!

ArlJim78
12-09-2010, 08:22 AM
Like the healthcare bill it contains waiver authority so it's a trojan horse and a mere steppping stone on the way to amnesty.

Now is the time for a new social benefit program, FOR Children of ILLEGALS? Have we gone mad in this country? Honestly if this goes through its all over for this country if you ask me.

Robert Goren
12-09-2010, 08:34 AM
There may be some case for the military service part of it(or maybe not), but a college degree, come on man. Of coarse, this no chance of passing, but it makes good fodder for talk radio.

boxcar
12-09-2010, 12:23 PM

It's garbage in principle. Why should the kids of lawbreakers be rewarded for their parents' utter disregard for and disdain for our laws? The parents and, therefore, their kids shouldn't have been here in the first place. That's why it's garbage. We should not be rewarding lawbreakers, which the parents are. Therefore, this law would be grossly unfair to all those who have played by the rules of the immigration game to be here in this country legally.

Boxcar

boxcar
12-09-2010, 12:25 PM

Have you read the bill?

Have you?

Boxcar

boxcar
12-09-2010, 12:27 PM
There may be some case for the military service part of it(or maybe not), but a college degree, come on man. Of coarse, this no chance of passing, but it makes good fodder for talk radio.

It passed the House be a decent margin, didn't it? Tell us why, if you would, why this bill has no chance of passing in the senate this is literally loaded with RINOs.

Boxcar

TJDave
12-09-2010, 02:11 PM
Why should the kids of lawbreakers be rewarded for their parents' utter disregard for and disdain for our laws? We should not be rewarding lawbreakers, which the parents are.

Then, we should punish children for the sins of their fathers? :rolleyes:

Therefore, this law would be grossly unfair to all those who have played by the rules of the immigration game to be here in this country legally.

Have you polled these folks? I doubt they would consider it 'grossly unfair'. ;)

And, yes, I've read the bill.

TJDave
12-09-2010, 02:17 PM
Tell us why, if you would, why this bill has no chance of passing in the senate this is literally loaded with RINOs.

You consider Orrin Hatch, the bill's sponsor and the second highest ranked conservative in the Senate, a RINO?

boxcar
12-09-2010, 02:56 PM

Have you polled these folks? I doubt they would consider it 'grossly unfair'. ;)

No, I'd much rather poll you! Answer me this, sir: You think it's fair for one group of people to have to play by one set of immigration rules and then have a different set of rules apply to another group? That's your idea of fair? That's your idea of treating people equally under the law? Your idea of "fair" is to give preferential treatment to one group at the expense of another or when another was never afforded that same opportunity? Well, I don't. And for this reason (and others, too), I consider this be an unrighteous law and worthy for deposit into the nearest dumpster.

And for your info, my church has more than a few Hispanic members. Not one, who I have talked to about this issue, believe in amnesty or any backdoor deals leading to amnesty for lawbreakers or the children of the lawbreakers.

And I reject your premise that the "children" are being punished. The children are part of a family unit. When one part of that unit stumbles then, yes, oftentimes the whole unit "falls" (i.e. suffers consequences). When a father is out of work and no longer is earning the income he once did and he must deny them privileges that they formerly enjoyed, are not the children also suffering for the unemployment "sin" of the father? Or a mother decides she has had enough with her marriage and walks out on the entire family and leaves the working father holding the bag of kiddies, will not the kids (and quite possibly the father, as well) suffer emotionally and psychologically?

Life for fallen human beings is a bear, isn't it!? The choices mothers and fathers make can indeed impact the entire family unit. Choices aren't made inside a moral vacuum. They carry consequences. This is an indisputable fact of life. And those choices very frequently impact, for better or worse, those nearest to us, i.e. immediate family members! :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

And if the kids think they're being treated unfairly by the U.S. government if this bill doesn't pass, then I suggest they look to their parents who put them in this position in the first place! The U.S. government didn't kidnap these kids and bring them across the border by force, did it!?

Boxcar

boxcar
12-09-2010, 02:59 PM

Good, then we're waiting for your explanation of why this bill would cost taxpayers mucho billions since you have essentially claimed previously that there aren't any freebies in it for the kids of these lawbreakers.

Boxcar

boxcar
12-09-2010, 03:01 PM
You consider Orrin Hatch, the bill's sponsor and the second highest ranked conservative in the Senate, a RINO?

Of the highest order, as if this is directly relevant to your questions.

Boxcar