PDA

View Full Version : Remembering John Lennon

Marshall Bennett
12-08-2010, 06:16 AM
Thirty years ago today. I'll always miss him. He was such a part of my teenage years growing up. RIP.

ArlJim78
12-08-2010, 08:09 AM
It's hard to believe that it was thirty years ago. I remember exactly what I was doing, watching Monday night football when Howard Cosell broke the news.

It was a strange time, Reagan was shot and wounded only a few months later.

The_Knight_Sky
12-08-2010, 09:14 AM
Another Lennon fan here (and of 60'-90's popular music)
We can only Imagine what pop culture would be like if he were alive today.

http://i51.tinypic.com/qxj3bp.jpg (http://theknightskyracing.blogspot.com/2010/12/watching-wheels-remembering-mr-lennon.html)

view video and post here (http://theknightskyracing.blogspot.com/2010/12/watching-wheels-remembering-mr-lennon.html)

PhantomOnTour
12-08-2010, 10:34 AM
Odd how folks recall Lennon's death but no mention of the Pearl Harbor attack on Dec 7th.

Marshall Bennett
12-08-2010, 10:58 AM
Odd how folks recall Lennon's death but no mention of the Pearl Harbor attack on Dec 7th.
You just did. It's surely worth mentioning.

JustRalph
12-08-2010, 12:46 PM

sign of the times...........and the age of the average person in the U.S. now.

I was watching that same Monday night football game and heard it that way. I was not a huge Beatles fan, but it was in the day when we weren't so used to random killings. There were no terrorists to speak of and the weekend newscast didn't spend the first 10 minutes every night talking about the multiple murders that had occurred in the last 12 hours. I remember Peter Jennings getting choked up about it.

ArlJim78
12-08-2010, 03:41 PM
Not as odd as someone waiting for a John Lennon thread to mention Pearl Harbor.

RaceBookJoe
12-08-2010, 03:55 PM

Remember Pearl Harbor was my facebook message yesterday...got a few people thanking me for reminding them. Felt like saying 'how do you forget that date?? " rbj

PhantomOnTour
12-08-2010, 04:51 PM
Not as odd as someone waiting for a John Lennon thread to mention Pearl Harbor.
Better than no mention at all, eh Jim?

redshift1
12-08-2010, 05:02 PM
What I remember was we had a guy in our department named Dave Chapman .... very strange at the time everyone was asking.... was it that dave.

bigmack
12-08-2010, 05:22 PM
_m8uoObnWQM

TJDave
12-08-2010, 05:29 PM

Dead in 1980:

Edward Bullard, William O. Douglas, Jimmy Durante, Bill Evans, Eric Fromm, Alfred Hitchcock, Pascual Jordan, Strother Martin, John Mauchly, Marshall McLuhan, Henry Miller, Jesse Owens, John-Paul Sartre, C. P. Snow, Mae West...

Yet, we choose to venerate a member of the Coleoptera order. :rolleyes:

Almost forgot--Victor Sen Yung and Harland Sanders. Two, of many, who influenced my life way more than Johnny boy. ;)

riskman
12-08-2010, 05:42 PM
Dead in 1980:

Edward Bullard, William O. Douglas, Jimmy Durante, Bill Evans, Eric Fromm, Alfred Hitchcock, Pascual Jordan, Strother Martin, John Mauchly, Marshall McLuhan, Henry Miller, Jesse Owens, John-Paul Sartre, C. P. Snow, Mae West...

Yet, we choose to venerate a member of the Coleoptera order. :rolleyes:

Almost forgot--Victor Sen Yung and Harland Sanders. Two, of many, who influenced my life way more than Johnny boy. ;)

But...but...the thread is remembering John Lennon
talk about failure to communicate!

Overlay
12-08-2010, 09:02 PM
I have a friend who is English on one side of his family, and whose wife is also British. He was such a big Beatles fan, and was so affected by the shooting, that he gave his son (who was born shortly afterwards) "Lennon" as his middle name.

Rookies
12-08-2010, 11:31 PM
Saw the boys live in 1964.

Transformative group over the entire Western society. :ThmbUp:

No bigger impact ever on music, art, culture, style, politics, etc.

banacek
12-08-2010, 11:40 PM
I have a friend who is English on one side of his family, and whose wife is also British. He was such a big Beatles fan, and was so affected by the shooting, that he gave his son (who was born shortly afterwards) "Lennon" as his middle name.

My daughter's name is Julia (after the Beatles song..John's mother's name). My wife actually wanted to name her Lennon..I thought about it, but it seemed to a little too hippie;) ..and when we told her that when she was a teen, she was actually upset we didn't!