PDA

View Full Version : TB for sale, so cheap it's like saving him...

joanied
12-06-2010, 06:17 PM
I hope it's OK I do this, but when I saw this ad for a TB gelding for sale at Charles Town, I felt I should post his photos & ad...use this link:

http://www.tbredsforsale.com/PalisadePrince.php

Maybe some of you around Charles Town Race Track might know him...he's a looker and they say he's sweet, sound and smart...they had him priced at $5,000.00 and have now reduced the price to $500.00 :eek:
Wish I could have another horse here at the farm...I'm affraid at this price he might end up with the wrong people...
maybe someone here would be interested :)

CincyHorseplayer
12-06-2010, 06:45 PM
I hope you are right too Joanie.Jesus H,at $500 he's worth a go.And you are right,if he does go to the wrong people he'll be raced 24 times a year and lose interest.

I'm rootin for him!

Saratoga_Mike
12-06-2010, 06:48 PM
I hope you are right too Joanie.Jesus H,at $500 he's worth a go.And you are right,if he does go to the wrong people he'll be raced 24 times a year and lose interest.

I'm rootin for him!

After his last few starts, I don't think he could lose anymore interest. He isn't a racehorse. Maybe someone can use him as a hunter or as a riding horse. Unfortunately I don't see anyone paying anything for him in this environment. I've given away much better ones than him. Let's hope he finds a good home.

CincyHorseplayer
12-06-2010, 08:09 PM
After his last few starts, I don't think he could lose anymore interest. He isn't a racehorse. Maybe someone can use him as a hunter or as a riding horse. Unfortunately I don't see anyone paying anything for him in this environment. I've given away much better ones than him. Let's hope he finds a good home.

If I had the land,at $500 I'd get him.If just to ride around the ranch at!But I don't,and if you are knee deep in horses I can see why you wouldn't want another body.

Sundown
12-07-2010, 10:37 AM
Just curious and for my own edification. If you had the land, barn and other necessities already, how much would a horse cost in upkeep as a pleasure horse?

OntheRail
12-07-2010, 11:09 AM
50 lb of dog food $21-35 a sack
50 lb of 12% sweet feed $6-$15 per sack

Feed pan for dog $5-$20
Fortex feed pan $12-$25

Dog water dish $5-$20
50-80 gal water tub $79-150 $29-50 for heating element.

Winter hay $2.00 to $5.00 per square bales 50-75 bales per horse depending on their wastage. Or $15-$45 per large 600-1500 lb round bales

So In truth if you have the land and barn not much more then any other four legged pet. The cost goes way up when you have to board them.

onefast99
12-07-2010, 12:31 PM
50 lb of dog food $21-35 a sack
50 lb of 12% sweet feed $6-$15 per sack

Feed pan for dog $5-$20
Fortex feed pan $12-$25

Dog water dish $5-$20
50-80 gal water tub $79-150 $29-50 for heating element.

Winter hay $2.00 to $5.00 per square bales 50-75 bales per horse depending on their wastage. Or $15-$45 per large 600-1500 lb round bales

So In truth if you have the land and barn not much more then any other four legged pet. The cost goes way up when you have to board them.

A good place to get some of those feeding items for free are when tracks close for the winter and horses are shipped out some trainers leave tubs and feeding apparatus or just give them away. We retired one of our geldings two years ago and he is a pleasure horse now, we obtained 2 months worth of feed for him and 10 bails of hay along with his favorite Jolly ball.

Linny
12-07-2010, 02:37 PM
He's a handsome horse and other than some loooong front pasterns, he's pretty well organized. If he's a pretty easy going type and could stand training as a riding/show horse I would be a decent buy for $500, although, yes, some as nice are out there for free.

Rough upkeep is expensive but not outrageous if you have the infrastructure in place, but... You can't just put him in the barn and look out the window at him. Also, horses are herd animals so keeping just one can become frustrating for him.
If the plan is to make him a pleasure/riding horse it is worth investing in some training unless you are a pretty knowledgable rider, used to horses from the track. This becomes more important if you plan to make a re-sale project of him.

Farrier and basic vet care are not cheap and most horses off the track need some of both. The feet of race horses tend to be trimmed differently from riding horses so adjustments need to be made as the hooves grow.

If you will need to board him, break out the checkbook. I ride at a decent but hardly fancy place with good care and facilities and monthly board is about $550. Board is stall/hay/grain fed 2x daily/stall cleaned/turn out in pasture, weather permitting. They make sure his blankets are on or off as needed and do a night check every evening. In some areas where land is at a premium, even self care board (they give you a stall or paddock and you provide all else + do the work yourself) is well over what my barn charges, and the equal of my barn is over $1k/month.

joanied
12-07-2010, 09:00 PM
In reply to you all...at least the thread brought some interest...except for those pasterns (Linny, like so many TB's) I thought he is a grand looking little horse...no, he's not a race horse, which I suppose is why they want him gone...at least they are in hopes of finding him a good home...they do say he's a good prospect for anything other than racing...sweet, smart, sound...
I realize horses are being given away...and real rescue horses are top priority, but, like I said, he caught my eye.

Sundown, it all depends on many things, including where you live...prices of feed and hay vary a lot...of course, you don't have to feed grain if a horse has good pasture and good hay, they do just fine...most folks in my neck of the woods don't grain their horses, I do, but once a day...they have hay 24/7 in winter..as long as they aren't breeding stock or working horses, hay & pasture is all they need.
Farrier costs about every 6 to 8 weeks, depends on your area...you don't have to keep shoes on a horse that isn't doing anything, and in fact, unless your riding in rough territory, shoes are not necessary...your basic costs would be hay, farrier, de worming every 6 to 8 weeks and yearly shots.
That's the basics of keeping a horse...well, horses, plural, an only horse breaks my heart...they really do need at least one buddy.

Anyway...let's keep our fingers crossed this one, along with so many others, find homes.
:)

Sundown
12-08-2010, 11:00 AM
Thanks for the info.
Hoping one of these days to have the means to have a few horses. Think the sunset over the Texas Hill Country with a few horses in the scene is a natural.

joanied
12-08-2010, 03:52 PM
Thanks for the info.
Hoping one of these days to have the means to have a few horses. Think the sunset over the Texas Hill Country with a few horses in the scene is a natural.

I hope your wish comes true...you know the saying, how horses are good for the inside on man, or something like that...once you bond with a horse, you have a friend for life.
I hope one day you'll watch the sunset with your horses...when the time comes, if you don't mind me suggesting this...try to get rescue horses.

Sundown
12-08-2010, 07:13 PM
I'll keep that in mind.

joanied
12-08-2010, 07:23 PM
I'll keep that in mind.

Actually, it's none of my business...maybe you'd want at least one horse that's ready to ride...or maybe you like a particular breed...so, I probably shouldn't have made any suggestions...I just hope that if you want to have a few horses some day, that you can find a way to get 'er done :jump:

Sundown
12-08-2010, 09:07 PM
I should have said that's what I'd look for. It seems, unfortunately, that there are too many horses out there of all types/descriptions to not keep an eye towards the rescues, although picking horses up from individuals ready to unload them is just this side of a rescue.

joanied
12-09-2010, 02:06 PM
I should have said that's what I'd look for. It seems, unfortunately, that there are too many horses out there of all types/descriptions to not keep an eye towards the rescues, although picking horses up from individuals ready to unload them is just this side of a rescue.

Anytime you can get a horse that's ready to go 'somewhere'...it's a rescue!!
If you started looking, or got in touch with recude organizations...it's amazing, and soooooo sad, the number of horses that need homes.

Good luck to you, sundown...living in Texas, almost seems like you have to have horses;) :)