PDA

View Full Version : Tampa Bay Downs-Being Creative!!!

Maxspa
12-04-2010, 12:11 PM
All,
Tampa Bay Downs is offering a $9.00 package. For your $9.00 you get the following:
1. Club House Admission
2. $5.00 Food Voucher
3. $2.00 Betting Voucher
4. A Valet Parking Ticket
5. A Box Seat (with some days restricted)!

The selling of these packages only 6 per person began at 6.30 am and of this time 12:00 noon nearly a thousand packages have been sold.

This is for your information only and I wrote this to inform PA members not to encourage anyone to buy them. Great Idea to attract new customers and hats off to Tampa Bay Downs for being creative!
Maxspa

chickenhead
12-04-2010, 01:31 PM
I don't think a link would be out of order, you don't work for Tampa or anything...and anyway it's a good deal.

http://www.groupon.com/tampa-bay-area/

Sold via Groupon, the private 2 year old startup that turned down a $6 billion dollar buyout from Google yesterday. That takes stones. 1,189 sold thus far.

Glad to see a track using some of the new marketing venues.

Charli125
12-04-2010, 01:57 PM
I don't think a link would be out of order, you don't work for Tampa or anything...and anyway it's a good deal.

Sold via Groupon, the private 2 year old startup that turned down a $6 billion dollar buyout from Google yesterday. That takes stones. 1,189 sold thus far.

What a great idea by the Tampa marketing department. Who knew you could actually use today's technology to help sell your product like, oh, EVERY other industry does?!? We're slow to adapt as an industry, but it's nice to see that someone is forward thinking.

I see a lot of good stuff coming out of Tampa right now, and I'm really looking forward to their upcoming meet.

JustRalph
12-04-2010, 04:59 PM

They were idiots for not taking that offer.

I stopped getting my groupon emails a while back. Most the stuff they push is crap.

they are about to be "disrupted" that's the new tech term btw, for somebody coming in and sabotaging your business model.

There are at least four other companies ready to "out coupon" Groupon. There are rumors of much better deals to be had, and several larger companies signing exclusivity deals with those about to go after Groupon's schtick. Fools I tell you!! Fools!!! :lol:

There is value in being first though. We shall see what happens.

This Tampa deal is the first thing I think I ever would have been interested in, via Groupon.

Bruddah
12-04-2010, 05:16 PM
I commend them for trying to "put butts in the bleachers". Something I have preached that race track management wasn't doing. If they do it enough, they may create a new fan base that has a new sports activity. Gee! What a novel idea? :rolleyes:

lamboguy
12-04-2010, 06:13 PM
one thing for sure, tampa does get live people to the track. they have done everything else right and have been sucessfull at it. i haven't been there in 6 years and that was when they didn't have this big a meet. i am going to show my face there sometime this year.

Mike_412
12-04-2010, 06:20 PM
Good for Tampa Bay Downs. It's really great to see all they've been trying these last few years. Who knew that lowering takeout and an actual marketing plan that doesn't involve giving away some fadoozi jockey bobblehead could be successful. What a novel concept. I wish them nothing but the best on their upcoming meet.

Beachbabe
12-04-2010, 06:54 PM
All,
Tampa Bay Downs is offering a $9.00 package. For your $9.00 you get the following:
1. Club House Admission
2. $5.00 Food Voucher
3. $2.00 Betting Voucher
4. A Valet Parking Ticket
5. A Box Seat (with some days restricted)!

The selling of these packages only 6 per person began at 6.30 am and of this time 12:00 noon nearly a thousand packages have been sold.

This is for your information only and I wrote this to inform PA members not to encourage anyone to buy them. Great Idea to attract new customers and hats off to Tampa Bay Downs for being creative!
Maxspa

When I first read this , I had to re-read it over & over. First I thought you were giving props to Tampa; then I read this line & thought you didn't want anyone buying this thing.
IMHO, maybe italicizing the word "inform" and a comma after members.
I'm not criticizing here, nor am I the designated grammar police (God forbid), but I imagine maybe others were as confused as I.
Anyway, thanx for the info. And a "pat on the back" to Tampa.

egreen
12-04-2010, 08:33 PM
Tampa Bay Downs has embraced technology and customer service far better than most tracks. I've been impressed with a number of things they have done and look forward to my annual visit to the most fan-friendly track in Florida and pretty much anywhere.

NikeUnlimited
12-04-2010, 08:52 PM
Los Alamitos has a similar deal on groupon, it's for $25 though.

"for $25, you get a race day package at Los Alamitos Race Course (a $68 value). The package includes two passes to the Vessels Club ($10 value each), a $10 food voucher, exclusive club parking ($8 value), two souvenir shot glasses ($15 value), and an 8"x10" group photo snapped within the winner's circle ($15 value)."

http://www.groupon.com/deals/los-alamitos-race-la?c=dnb&p=2

JustRalph
12-04-2010, 09:12 PM
Los Alamitos has a similar deal on groupon, it's for $25 though.

"for $25, you get a race day package at Los Alamitos Race Course (a $68 value). The package includes two passes to the Vessels Club ($10 value each), a $10 food voucher, exclusive club parking ($8 value), two souvenir shot glasses ($15 value), and an 8"x10" group photo snapped within the winner's circle ($15 value)."

http://www.groupon.com/deals/los-alamitos-race-la?c=dnb&p=2

Damn, they have sold 385 of those........... that's got to be a success huh?

The Hawk
12-04-2010, 09:36 PM
Damn, they have sold 385 of those........... that's got to be a success huh?

That's more than anyone outside of Tampa has sold.

Track Collector
12-04-2010, 11:18 PM
Never heard of Groupon until today.

Every year at Christmas time my wife and I drive down to Florida to visit her parents. During our visit, I get to spend a day on my own to soak up the sunshine at the live race meet at Tampa Bay Downs.:)

Just purchased one of these packages.

Maxspa
12-05-2010, 01:37 PM
All,
As of Sunday 12/5/ 2010, more than 2,000 packages have been sold!
It's great that racing fans have responded to this offer, being that Holiday shopping usually takes precedence at this time of year!!
Maxspa

Bruddah
12-05-2010, 01:58 PM
Tracks need to put a Family Pak coupon together, preferrably to be used on a Sunday. Offer a value where a young family can come to the track for a days outing. Initally, they probably won't spend much on betting but you need to start creating fans early. Put an experience in the children's lives. A coupon good for one or two Sundays during a meet will create a lot of good will immediately and in the future.

Unfortunately, Racing management doesn' think or plan for the future. :confused:

Charli125
12-06-2010, 11:56 AM
All,
As of Sunday 12/5/ 2010, more than 2,000 packages have been sold!
It's great that racing fans have responded to this offer, being that Holiday shopping usually takes precedence at this time of year!!
Maxspa

My wife, who isn't really a racing fan but does frequent Groupon, thinks it's a wonderful idea, and asked if our local track, EMD, ever does anything like this. I'm only 31, and I know a lot of my friends have disposable income, think a trip to the track would be interesting, and just need a little push to get out to the track.

Every track should be doing this type of thing, and I'm glad Tampa has.