PDA

View Full Version : Using a smart phone to bet at an ADW

OCF
12-03-2010, 08:40 PM
I'm thinking about buying a smart phone, mainly for use in monitoring tote boards and betting at an ADW. Is there a phone and ADW that you've had good experience with? I'm particularly interested in how late I can get a bet down, need to be able to place a wager up until the first flash of 0 MTP. Is that a reasonable expectation? I bet NYRA mostly, I think there's usually about two minutes-plus between the first 0 MTP flash and the starting gate opening.

Otis11
12-03-2010, 10:22 PM
I use an Android phone with TwinSpires. TS supports all smart phones. iPhones and Windows phones will play video. Not all Androids will. I think you need version 2.1 or higher. I know mine didn't until I upgraded to 2.1.

The interface could be a LOT better. How? I'm not really sure. It's just kind of "cludgy" looking. As far as the speed, it's really dependent on your connection - whether you're going through the cell lines or WiFi makes a big difference for me. I usually try to get my wagers in with 2MTP.

JustRalph
12-03-2010, 11:11 PM
I rarely do it via phone, because the screens are just too small and I have one of the biggest out there (EVO). Consider an Ipad or a Samsung Galaxy Tab, 7 inch tablet. Or wait a month or so and you will have five more options. Tons of Tablet computers coming out to challenge the ipad. I have an ipad and once you have a Ipad, you will never look at the phone again.

This just came out this week for 599 bucks, pretty neat option

nS9Sy7DkobY

OCF
12-04-2010, 07:11 AM
As far as the speed, it's really dependent on your connection - whether you're going through the cell lines or WiFi makes a big difference for me.

Which is quicker, cell phones or WiFi?

GatetoWire
12-04-2010, 09:11 AM
I have used XpressBet mobile on my iPhone many times.
The interface is a little slower than the regular XpressBet site but over all it is very reliable.
You can make bets right up to the bell with no issues

ranchwest
12-04-2010, 10:25 AM
I am on TwinSpires and have an iPhone.

The TS mobile interface is usable, but very simple. The video is extremely good considering the iPhone is a small mobile device.

I can access the regular TS site, but cannot access video from there. The iPhone doesn't support that format.

If you need to wager at 0 mtp, you will probably be disappointed with most mobile devices. With TS mobile, the default is $2 win wager. If you want anything else, you have to change the web page to wager type, change web page back to race, change web page to amount, change page back to race. If you have your selection made in advance, that's not too bad. If you are handicapping as you go, it's slow and you will need to try to get your wager in by 2 mtp, as someone else suggested. After you select your wager, amount and horse, it is a web page change to confirm your wager and another web page change to have TS confirm your wager -- making the wager can take I'd guess about a minute sometimes (seems like an eternity).

I have my PP's/data converted to a web page, which works fairly well on an iPhone, though it admittedly is a bit small. The Safari browser allows stretching the page, though, which helps a lot.

ranchwest
12-04-2010, 11:01 AM
I probably should place my wagers through the regular TS site and watch the video through the mobile site. On the iPhone it is very easy to switch through multiple sites with Safari.

JustRalph
12-04-2010, 12:23 PM
Which is quicker, cell phones or WiFi?

normally, Wifi. But that all depends on how many people are using it. Walk into a Starbucks and there are five people sitting there.......decent connection. Walk into a Starbucks and 20 are using it.......probably not so good.

Some places with 4G Cell Signals are really really good, some not. Depends on the quality of the signal etc.

CBedo
12-04-2010, 04:30 PM
normally, Wifi. But that all depends on how many people are using it. Walk into a Starbucks and there are five people sitting there.......decent connection. Walk into a Starbucks and 20 are using it.......probably not so good.

Some places with 4G Cell Signals are really really good, some not. Depends on the quality of the signal etc.Agree with JRalph. Most of the time, wifi is faster, but it depends on the location and load. Also, now that carriers are rolling out 4g, sometimes that connection is super fast. I was getting about 10x the speed of 3g in some spots in downtown Denver with my Sprint 4g phone (which by the way has a nice screen for watching mobile video).

OCF
12-04-2010, 06:29 PM
There's a wealth of good info here, thanks everybody!