PDA

View Full Version : Paulick report makeover

JustRalph
12-03-2010, 08:04 PM
I just noticed Ray Paulick has made over his website. I am not a big Paulick fan really, but this website makeover seems to be first class to me. It's a little busy, which is one of my pet peeves.........but a big improvement.

Now if someone would just shake up Equidaily and make that crappy code easier to read, we would be making real progress.

just a note for those who might not have seen it.

www.paulickreport.com

joanied
12-03-2010, 09:06 PM
I'm still deciding if I like it...I just use Paulick Report for headline news, mostly.

beertapper
12-04-2010, 02:29 AM
not liking the new site... part of what make paulick report good imo was its drudge report like layout...simple but easy to read

there's a reason why drudge has never changed, yet it has 9 billion hits this year alone

Tom
12-04-2010, 10:08 AM
Looks like DRF now - crappy!
Far too busy - I have no patience to have to look for things.
Being a reader, I like a table of contents format! :D

tbwinner
12-04-2010, 10:15 AM
Don't like it...loved the Drudge-styled page, easier to read and find things. Plus some links from PA here now are broken when linking to Paulick.

Bruddah
12-04-2010, 10:22 AM
Looks like DRF now - crappy!
Far too busy - I have no patience to have to look for things.
Being a reader, I like a table of contents format! :D

I prefer table of contents formats, as well. However, most publications, sites et al, place them where you have to search in order to use them. Almost like they are ashamed of them. I consider them as road maps to whatever information is being disseminated.

FenceBored
12-04-2010, 10:27 AM
Bad scene, Bix.

Tom
12-04-2010, 10:40 AM
I prefer table of contents formats, as well. However, most publications, sites et al, place them where you have to search in order to use them. Almost like they are ashamed of them. I consider them as road maps to whatever information is being disseminated.

I was thinking that yesterday, when I opened a magazine. Remember when you opened the cover and there was the TOC on the first page?
I found it on page 10!!!!

joanied
12-04-2010, 10:41 AM
Yeah...me thinks I don't care for it either...like I said before, I liked the old one...just scroll down and pick what you want to read. I don't like having to use the tabs to go from page to page just to see what's there...and the ads he has are too big, and I don't like those scroller things where you have to wait to read the headlines...
my review gives it--:ThmbDown:

jelly
12-04-2010, 12:15 PM
Bad move,I'll take the old one.

beertapper
12-04-2010, 06:47 PM
problem is, the only competition is equidaily, and there's just too much on that page.... hurts my eyes to look at that too..:bang:

FenceBored
12-04-2010, 07:29 PM
problem is, the only competition is equidaily, and there's just too much on that page.... hurts my eyes to look at that too..:bang:

Seems to be the choice, huh? Either too busy with too much raw text, or too busy with graphics and doodads.

Bullet Plane
12-04-2010, 07:39 PM
Paulick has kind of a West Coast bias..that I don't like. But, before the change, I checked out both sites. I don't like the new format for the Paulick...too hard to find info.

Maybe its just me...I liked the old format much better.

johnhannibalsmith
12-04-2010, 08:14 PM
I try not to bitch about stuff like this because I'm usually in the minority - but I just can't concentrate long enough at the new site to read anything - there's just something about that layout that makes me want to escape immediately.

My eyes knew just where to go to find what I wanted at the old site, this one wants to drag my eyes all over the place and my little brain gets aggravated quickly.

JustRalph
12-09-2010, 06:59 PM
paulick explains the changes

http://paulickreport.com/blogs/inside-the-paulick-report/confused-over-new-pr-format-don-t-be/

also, in the comments section he basically says you can bitch all you want. he isn't changing back :lol:

FenceBored
12-09-2010, 07:13 PM

http://paulickreport.com/blogs/inside-the-paulick-report/confused-over-new-pr-format-don-t-be/

also, in the comments section he basically says you can bitch all you want. he isn't changing back :lol:

That's nice. He ain't changing back, and I'm not going back.

I'm taking the Paulick Report off my regular routine and replacing it with Equidaily.

I've always found Equidaily cluttered (and visited irregularly because of that), but better that than the mess Paulick has made of his site. He took the bad redisign of Bloodhorse.com and said "I can do worse!"

johnhannibalsmith
12-09-2010, 08:37 PM
... He took the bad redisign of Bloodhorse.com and said "I can do worse!"

Ironically (well sort of), the sole reason why I began frequenting his site was because of my complete frustration with the makeovers at regular stops like Blooshorse, TbTimes, etc. It was refreshingly simple. Now, I guess I'll just wait for AndyMays to post the real important stuff.

The_Knight_Sky
12-10-2010, 09:32 AM
Now, I guess I'll just wait for AndyMays to post the real important stuff.

Andy can only do so much for us. ;)

It took me a couple of days to figure it all out.
There are 5 main categories for the latest news.

At the top is RAY'S PADDOCK

Then comes THE BIZ - PEOPLE

Underneath: BLOODSTOCK - RACING

These categories have the same content if you clicked NEWS on the top menu.
But through the tab at the top you also get to see the older stories that you might have missed.

I think it's great that horseplayers have an avenue to send in their comments
that are seen by industry professionals. This is something that has been lacking for the longest time.

andymays
12-10-2010, 09:35 AM
Ironically (well sort of), the sole reason why I began frequenting his site was because of my complete frustration with the makeovers at regular stops like Blooshorse, TbTimes, etc. It was refreshingly simple. Now, I guess I'll just wait for AndyMays to post the real important stuff.
Thanks. :ThmbUp: :D

I think it comes down to money. He's able to sell more advertising with this format. I like the old site better.

strapper
12-10-2010, 12:34 PM
It's natural to resist change I guess. I don't have any problem with the "new look" Paulick. Other websites that have changed, for instance, Twitter or Yahoo, I didn't appreciate. I'm not liking the "new Twitter" because I don't have high speed, but for most folks it's probably better. Nobody seems to make gradual nips and tucks on sites, they just make these drastic change new looks. Probably all about $$$ to get more advertising $$$ if you want to know the cold truth.

Barry Irwin
12-10-2010, 03:26 PM
Ray's revamped website is a little trickier to use.

However, anything he does has to be seen as worthwhile, because he is showing more reportial savvy, guts, spunk and drive than any Turf Writer in the game today.

I support him 100 percent.

andymays
12-10-2010, 03:39 PM
Ray's revamped website is a little trickier to use.

However, anything he does has to be seen as worthwhile, because he is showing more reportial savvy, guts, spunk and drive than any Turf Writer in the game today.

I support him 100 percent.

Lately he seems to be more receptive to articles/pieces that Horseplayers want to see. He put up the piece by Roger Way (rwwupl on this board) which was very critical of the CHRB a couple of days ago. I want to see more articles/pieces like that. :ThmbUp:

http://www.paulickreport.com/news/people/hana-chrb-dominated-by-narrow-interests/#PageComment_38971

Fager Fan
12-10-2010, 08:09 PM
I wonder if he's making many friends with the other racing publications. Those guys are paying a lot of salaries to write their articles and Paulick in essence uses their content for the content of his own site. If he relied for his site content only his own articles, there'd be one new article a day there, if that. I've got to think that the DRF and Blood-Horse aren't happy about it.

Barry Irwin
12-10-2010, 08:18 PM
Fager, every time somebody links from Paulick to a DRF story, the DRF registers a hit and hits are what drives advertising revenues. I sent a story from my website to Ray a few weeks ago. It was not a major item. Yet, our website received many more hits on the weekend our colt Pluck won the BC Juv Turf. Hits are where its at. That's why stoopid AOL uses all these lame tricks to try to get people to click on a story. They be hooked on they hits, mon!

FenceBored
12-10-2010, 08:42 PM
I think it's great that horseplayers have an avenue to send in their comments
that are seen by industry professionals. This is something that has been lacking for the longest time.

Hellooooo, McFly?

What do you think Pace Advantage is?

Fager Fan
12-10-2010, 08:55 PM
Fager, every time somebody links from Paulick to a DRF story, the DRF registers a hit and hits are what drives advertising revenues. I sent a story from my website to Ray a few weeks ago. It was not a major item. Yet, our website received many more hits on the weekend our colt Pluck won the BC Juv Turf. Hits are where its at. That's why stoopid AOL uses all these lame tricks to try to get people to click on a story. They be hooked on they hits, mon!

I can see that being true for your website but I'm not sure that'd be the case for the major trade publication websites. I've heard a few people say (before the makeover, granted) that they didn't go to the DRF and BH sites daily anymore, they just scanned Paulick's page since he'd link to any of the good stuff from the other sites. Surely that can't be good for them.

JustRalph
12-10-2010, 09:47 PM
I can see that being true for your website but I'm not sure that'd be the case for the major trade publication websites. I've heard a few people say (before the makeover, granted) that they didn't go to the DRF and BH sites daily anymore, they just scanned Paulick's page since he'd link to any of the good stuff from the other sites. Surely that can't be good for them.

advertising rates are based on hits. It's analogous to ratings on a TV show

Online Ads are big bucks..... just ask Google.....

There are app developers in the Android and Apple Stores that are giving their apps away and embedding ads in the programs. Many many are knocking down 10k a month for tiny little programs and games. Just for putting a Ford Ad or a Software ad in the program.

These are little guys. The Big guys are killing it. How about one million a month............

http://amiey.com/angry-birds-generates-one-million-in-ad-revenue/

"Angry Birds Generates One Million In Ad Revenue? is a post from: Android Phone Geek You’ve undoubtedly heard a lot about Angry Birds as of late. The Android version has around 5 million downloads to date and counting. It’s become a very popular application on Android and other mobile platforms and it’s generating about $1 million per month in advertising revenue. This is according to Peter Vesterbacka, the Mighty Eagle of Rovio in an interview with Tech Crunch."

Ad revenue is where it's at. More hits, more revenue. That simple.

Grits
12-11-2010, 06:04 PM
So, Ralph, how long ya been playing "Angry Birds?" You and your techie self, I know you've got it. OTM Al probably has it, too. :lol:

JustRalph
12-11-2010, 06:52 PM
So, Ralph, how long ya been playing "Angry Birds?" You and your techie self, I know you've got it. OTM Al probably has it, too. :lol:

actually, I don't have Angry Birds..I have seen it, but don't get the attraction ?

I have a couple others. Angry Birds is the big one right now though........

I actually play something called "Cut the Rope" and "Rage HD"

8xPUdFaraoQ

51wRuwNV1No

Grits
12-11-2010, 07:05 PM
Ralph, I like the top one, the bottom, nope, not so much. Little too violent. You're keen on it because of your days on the firing range.;)

Grits
12-11-2010, 07:22 PM
[b]I've heard a few people say (before the makeover, granted) that they didn't go to the DRF and BH sites daily anymore, they just scanned Paulick's page since he'd link to any of the good stuff from the other sites.[/b[ Surely that can't be good for them.

FF, this seems mighty lazy for a true racing fan. I'd think one would be better informed going to DRF and BloodHorse, and then on to Paulick and Equidaily to pick up opinion pieces and other added news pieces from various print editions--though, as we know, newspapers are carrying less and less racing coverage.

I wonder if he's making many friends with the other racing publications.

I'd be surprised if a close relationship with other racing publications is one Ray Paulick's primary goals.

The_Knight_Sky
12-11-2010, 10:34 PM
Fager, every time somebody links from Paulick to a DRF story,
the DRF registers a hit and hits are what drives advertising revenues.

I sent a story from my website to Ray a few weeks ago.
It was not a major item. Yet, our website received many more hits
on the weekend our colt Pluck won the BC Juv Turf.

Hits are where its at.

Precisely. DRF, The Bloodhorse, Thoroughbred Times and others should
be thanking the aggregators for bringing their stories to the mainstream audience.

The Paulick Report does a fairly good job of aggregating the news. Admittedly some of the topics (like Zenyatta) does get redundant after a while. The new format (including a list of Tweets on the bottom) keeps the news up to the hour - if not the minute.

I don't see how different it is if someone posted on Pace Advantage
that Gary Stevens is coming out of retirement (again) along with a link.
Everyone would be sure to chime in. The PR format allows for commenting
in addition to leading the masses to the good stuff.

EquiDaily does a much more comprehensive job on a variety of topics.
You can expect everything and the kitchen sink floated at the top of the page
every morning. The readership of EquiDaily is well-established since it has
been around for a much longer time. Getting featured on powerhouse EquiDaily means your website is going to have a near-record number of visitors.

Both of these racing oriented news aggregators serve a purpose.
Without them a lot of the interesting racing items on the web would be like
trees falling in the Amazon - not many would hear about them.

As a result people form a habit of visiting the aggregators or
horse racing forums like PA in order to find the pertinent news linked elsewhere on the web. News that they otherwise would not have found by themselves. That's the value of aggregators and active horse racing forums.

JustRalph
12-12-2010, 07:02 PM
http://www.nytimes.com/2010/12/12/technology/12birds.html?_r=1&partner=rss&emc=rss

if I was Paulick I would try real hard to implement angry birds into the site :lol:

The_Knight_Sky
12-13-2010, 09:33 AM
I'd be surprised if a close relationship with other
racing publications is one Ray Paulick's primary goals.

It shouldn't be. He's a journalist.

If you're going to be in the business of aggregating the news,
then put the various issues front and center and let the people decide.

"Friendships" in horse racing shouldn't stop anyone from doing their job.

InsideThePylons-MW
12-19-2010, 06:38 PM
It seems like content is down and comments are way down since the switch.

I know they have sites that track traffic, etc. but I have no idea how to use them.

Is traffic down since the upgrade?

andymays
12-19-2010, 06:39 PM

I know they have sites that track traffic, etc. but I have no idea how to use them.

Is traffic down since the upgrade?

There have been glitches with the comments. Soime people are unable to comment because of their browser. You have to email them to let them know it you're comment doesn't register.

PaceAdvantage
12-19-2010, 09:26 PM

Is traffic down since the upgrade?The only reliable way to track traffic is to audit the specific site's weblogs. All these online sites claiming to "know" what kind of traffic a site has are inaccurate at best, and completely bogus at worst.

Think about it...how can a third party know with any accuracy how much traffic a particular site gets WITHOUT having access to the site's weblogs, or by placing code on the pages of the site itself that report back to the third party?

The short answer is, they can't.

Grits
12-19-2010, 09:37 PM
It shouldn't be. He's a journalist.

If you're going to be in the business of aggregating the news,
then put the various issues front and center and let the people decide.

"Friendships" in horse racing shouldn't stop anyone from doing their job.

This was my point, particularly given his lengthy tenure at BloodHorse.

Bruddah
12-19-2010, 09:59 PM
The only reliable way to track traffic is to audit the specific site's weblogs. All these online sites claiming to "know" what kind of traffic a site has are inaccurate at best, and completely bogus at worst.

Think about it...how can a third party know with any accuracy how much traffic a particular site gets WITHOUT having access to the site's weblogs, or by placing code on the pages of the site itself that report back to the third party?

The short answer is, they can't.

That is absolutely on target. However, unless you have experience running a site or writing code for internet sites, most people do not have a clue. Same thing I said a few years back.

You may have educated some of your members. :ThmbUp:

Kelso
12-19-2010, 10:43 PM
he basically says you can bitch all you want. he isn't changing back :lol:

Clearly he's angling for a job in track management.

jelly
12-20-2010, 12:35 AM

My hits to paulick's site is down about 75%.

andymays
12-20-2010, 07:39 AM
One interesting thing is that yesterday he put up an excerpt from a Vic Zast article on synthetic complainers. The Vic Zast article on HRI only got one comment from me. The Paulick excerpt got 35 comments. The Paulick site isn't really a message board so I wonder if there could be some legal action over this down the road.

The_Knight_Sky
12-20-2010, 09:31 PM
The Paulick excerpt got 35 comments.

The Paulick site isn't really a message board so I wonder if there could be some legal action over this down the road.

If someone posts an excerpt of the HRI - Zast piece here at Pace Advantage and PA members throw in their two cents in a thread here
how much different is that from what the Paulick Report is doing?

No matter which horse racing forum you visit you're going
to find news excerpts and links to the original source on variety of topics.

The major difference of course is that the Paulick staff is creating the topic to be discussed. I see no harm in it as it engages the reader to visit
the originating site. Linking makes the world go 'round.

Writers should be happy to be linked.
Stealing ideas from other writers/bloggers, well that I'm not too fond of. :ThmbDown: