PDA

View Full Version : Bettin'& Tweetin'- A Perfect Pair!

BombsAway Bob
12-03-2010, 05:36 PM
Jamie Newell wrote an excellent piece on Twitter technology,
& how the Horse Racing industry & horseplayers take advantage of it-
http://www.smilepolitely.com/sports/if_you_bet_you_should_tweet12032010/

JustRalph
12-03-2010, 07:41 PM
Good article Bob.......... Thanks for the link

I stopped following some horse racing types because there was just way too much bullshit. I will check back on some of those mentioned in the article.

right now I only follow TLG ..........

If you have an Ipad........try "Flipboard" for following twitter. It's great.

Tom
12-03-2010, 09:13 PM
How do you follow a twitter? Or a tweeter?
What is this stuff anyways?

JustRalph
12-03-2010, 11:45 PM
http://twitter.com/

Tom, Twitter is a website you sign into, where you can blast out 140 character short messages to friends and family (these are called followers) that have subscribed via twitter to your "feed" or "tweets"

Step 1: go to twitter.com and sign up (pick a user name)

Step 2: search for who you may want to follow. These can be everything from Celebrities to Bloodhorse.com. The @ symbol is at the beginning of a twitter identity.

Step 3: after choosing to follow certain people (just search for them on the twitter page, and click "follow") they will then show up on the page when you log into twitter. right now, mine looks like this:
http://www.justralph.com/storage/tweets.jpg

There is a lot of crap being tweeted, by celebrities etc.......
but there are some good things that it is used for. TLG/Andy Serling will Tweet track conditions, races taken off the turf etc.......and sometimes you get it prior to the ADW posting it. You also get other stuff from Andy too, his picks, sometimes he makes observations about horses in the post parade, or the pools etc.

Step 4: You don't have to use the Twitter webpage. There are apps for reading and "tweeting". Tweeting means to send out a message

You can use these apps on your smartphone, Ipad etc. They make it easier and look better. Here is a screenshot of what the tweets I am following and how they look in the flipboard application on the Ipad.
http://www.justralph.com/storage/tweets1.jpg

Log in and play with it. I have nobody following me, but I do follow some tech types and a few others. I added some racing stuff after reading this thread today. There are other horse racing people tweeting, but remember, anybody can tweet whatever the hell they want. Just because they are tweeting about horse races etc.......doesn't mean they know what the hell they are talking about......... :lol: just like the rest of the internet.......Caveat Emptor

Tom
12-04-2010, 10:06 AM
Wow, I had no idea I needed that stuff yesterday!~~:D

Might be worth following Andy.

Thanks, Ralph.

BombsAway Bob
12-04-2010, 04:42 PM
I'll follow you Ralph... what's your @??? handle?

Tom
12-04-2010, 05:29 PM
OK, I signed up and am following Andy.
Hope he doesn't head to the Men's room! :eek:

btw, I am Tommy Malice now.:D

JustRalph
12-04-2010, 06:12 PM
I'll follow you Ralph... what's your @??? handle?

_JustRalph

underscoreJustralph

some idiot already has "justralph" ........ :bang:

That's what I get for signing up about 3 yrs after it's fashionable

Tom, I will follow you ............and Bob.......fill me in on yours.......

it's going to be like the He Man Women haters club :lol:
wBIC8JTQMMQ

JustRalph
12-04-2010, 06:17 PM
OK, I signed up and am following Andy.
Hope he doesn't head to the Men's room! :eek:

btw, I am Tommy Malice now.:D

tom

couldn't find you......... let me guess, you were just kidding me?

I guess I am going to have to "tweet" a little......hmmm....what could I say?

Tom
12-05-2010, 12:22 AM
I'm there now - had to confirm my account.
Tom was taken, so was Tom_PA.

I don't see anywhere to add anyone to follow though - come to think of it, I don't even see where you can send a damn tweet after the first one. This looks like Face Book - another waste of time. I have already lost interest in it!:bang:

Tom
12-05-2010, 12:40 AM
OK, now I know I am done with this nonsense....I just found _justralph.

:lol::lol::lol:

JustRalph
12-05-2010, 04:25 AM
Tom, try this link

Hit this link (http://twitter.com/#!/_justralph)

Tom
12-05-2010, 10:46 AM
OK, that's better!~:D

I keep seeing the yellow banner telling mo to confirm my account - which I have done several times. This is like dealing with the morons at McDonalds!

Still see no place to add follows or to send a damn tweet out.
Homepage seems like a wasted journey.

JustRalph
12-05-2010, 03:04 PM
Tom, are you hitting the link in your email to confirm your account?

Tom
12-05-2010, 06:55 PM
OK, that worked.....though I would not have guessed that was it. :rolleyes:

Thanks.

JustRalph
12-05-2010, 08:24 PM
I am expecting witty Tweets every ten minutes from now on....... :lol:

JimG
12-19-2010, 11:43 AM
My twitter account is _JimG in case anyone wants to follow. Like JustRalph, I had to use the underscore character as JimG was taken.

Seems to me twitter could add to racing enjoyment by getting info from tracks and "hot tips" from people you follow.

Jim

DJofSD
12-19-2010, 12:09 PM
If this keeps up, Mike will need to upgrade his BBS software so as to be able to include those graphic icons for Twitter, FB, digs, etc.

But I'm not yet motivated to jump in the pool just yet.
Twitter is a constant river of information, and if you aren't checking it at least a couple times a day, you will likely miss out on something.I'm just not motivated and who needs the distractions?

Convice me otherwise.

JustRalph
02-11-2011, 02:08 AM
Changed my Twitter Moniker to

"DaRealJustralph"

netbet
02-11-2011, 08:21 AM
I am thoroughbredRD on Twitter if anyone is interested.

Canarsie
02-11-2011, 08:53 AM
Twidroid for the Android is a great app

http://twidroyd.com/

The only tweet I have come straight to my phone is bridgejumper alert. All the rest I see in a neat and concise format that I can scroll.

One more thing is if you put gambler in your profile lots of services will follow you and tweet back. That's why I set mine to authorize, one service was tweeting every ten minutes how much they cashed. They didn't state that they put out 20 tweets in 5 minutes. :lol:

Haven't really tweeted much maybe I will. I'm Tautog on there got in at the early stage. Believe it or not that name was taken in gmail beta :bang:

fiveouttasix
02-11-2011, 10:17 AM
Mine is Fiveouttasix ...have not used it much yet.