PDA

View Full Version : Fox is Slipping Especially Beck

hcap
12-03-2010, 06:15 AM
http://www.dailykos.com/storyonly/2010/12/2/925035/-Glenn-Becks-Ratings-Sink-into-Irrelevancy

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5244/5227983308_115cc7ea3a_o.jpg

In the past year Beck has dropped from 2.67 million total viewers to 2.30 million, down 14%. In the key 25-54 year old advertising demographic it's even worse. He sank from 678,000 to 434,000, a drop of 36%. Keep in mind that the mid-term elections this year ought to have made his program more pertinent and compelling to his audience rather than less, yet he still underperformed last year's numbers by a huge margin.

Beck's deteriorating numbers came on the heels of his vaunted "Restoring Honor" rally in Washington, DC. Apparently that did nothing to restore his ranking. And two months later Jon Stewart and Stephen Colbert rubbed salt in his wounds by hosting an even bigger rally. It is also notable that in the same time frame both Keith Olbermann and Rachel Maddow improved their ratings.

GameTheory
12-03-2010, 09:34 AM
Keep in mind that the mid-term elections this year ought to have made his program more pertinent and compelling to his audience rather than less, yet he still underperformed last year's numbers by a huge margin.Why? These shows become more one-dimensional and incessantly repetitive during election cycles, and cheer-leading is always less popular than criticism. The popularity of all of these people is (relatively) tied to the popularity of their targets (inversely so) more than it is (directly) to the popularity of their own people in power. It seems nobody likes Obama anymore, even the left, so listening to criticism about him seems less interesting and relevant -- who needs convincing? And with the Repubs surge in power, that will get up the blood of the lefties and they will look to the Maddows and Olbermanns to find out what to complain about. I'm not sure what your point is supposed to be? If the ratings of the righties were going down, and the lefties going up AND the lefties did well in the election instead of getting a historic beating, then that might might an actual sea change in opinion. But this seems perfectly expected...

serp
12-03-2010, 09:37 AM
Robbing Peter to pay Paul. They are all self-important blowhards.

JustRalph
12-03-2010, 11:09 AM
yep, you are so happy about it huh Hcap?

By my fair to middlin math, they would have to drop another 280% to equal Msnbc......... so I don't think Roger Ailes or any of the Fox types are worried much.

Mike at A+
12-03-2010, 11:23 AM
After being so down for so long, MSNBC has nowhere to go but up. And in reality, many of their viewers are actually Fox viewers tuning into MSNBC for the comedic value. I know I'm guilty of tuning in occasionally.

andymays
12-03-2010, 11:31 AM
Cable News Ratings for Wednesday, December 1, 2010

http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/2010/12/02/cable-news-ratings-for-wednesday-december-1-2010/74104

ArlJim78
12-03-2010, 11:35 AM
I'm not surprised at all. I've mentioned on here many times that while I am as conservative as they come, I really cannot stand most of Fox's programs. People always want to tie conservatives to Fox and vice versa. No, good programming is good programming. You have to deliver good content, and as others have mentioned the same old childish rants from the same talking heads is boring. I really think they need a big shakeup at Fox if they want to reverse the slide. I think they need to elevate their game and get more serious about actual news and people making the news. If its always about their own people (Beck, O'Reilly, Hannity, etc) its becomes like an opinionated talk show network. It's clear that there is a pretty good sized audience for what they deliver, but I really think they need to change some faces and content on some of their shows. Need some variety.

Mike at A+
12-03-2010, 11:39 AM
Just keep the babes.

ArlJim78
12-03-2010, 11:42 AM
Just keep the babes.\
amen to that!

hcap
12-03-2010, 11:54 AM
I posted "Fox is Slipping" mostly to get everyone's attention. I can watch everybody on Fox and chuckle at what I consider the party line presented in a laughable factually wrong way. However, my main point was Beck. The craziest by far and beyond anything else on Fox. A frightening hysterical "Face in The Crowd" ripoff who was rapidly climbing in ratings. For a while looking to eclipse even O'Reilly. Now just as rapid in decline. As mentioned in the article, his Restoring Honor rally did very little ratings wise.

JustRalph
12-03-2010, 11:54 AM
I'm not surprised at all. I've mentioned on here many times that while I am as conservative as they come, I really cannot stand most of Fox's programs. People always want to tie conservatives to Fox and vice versa. No, good programming is good programming. You have to deliver good content, and as others have mentioned the same old childish rants from the same talking heads is boring. I really think they need a big shakeup at Fox if they want to reverse the slide. I think they need to elevate their game and get more serious about actual news and people making the news. If its always about their own people (Beck, O'Reilly, Hannity, etc) its becomes like an opinionated talk show network. It's clear that there is a pretty good sized audience for what they deliver, but I really think they need to change some faces and content on some of their shows. Need some variety.

Jim, there is no "slide" it's the usual post election, Holidays rating. When one of their shows repeats, it still bests 2nd place (MSNBC) prime time numbers by a factor of 4x. When your repeats would stomp your competition, you have nothing to worry about.

Btw, it is an opinionated Talk show network after 8p. That's prime time. Everybody goes to that format. Why do you think Headline news changed? There are so many outlets for news now, by 8p nobody is tuning in for the actual news at 8p. Even if they are, they get the crawl and the mid show update.

Roger Ailes knows what he is doing and he is blasting the pants off the competition every single hour of every day. He needs to move Greta to 5p and Beck to 9p and Hannity to 10p. Just my opine. But it doesn't really matter.....they tatoo the competition no matter what.

bigmack
12-03-2010, 11:59 AM
Without Fox, MSNBC would have nothing to talk about. Their obsession borders on the brazier.

hcap & his graphs. :D

Get a load of this line from the kid in the basement author:

The scope of Beck's ratings failure is not trivial. his decline far exceeds those of his Fox comrades. He routinely places fourth in the Fox lineup behind O'Reilly, Baier, and Hannity.
Then look at the ratings from andy's post.

A frightening hysterical "Face in The Crowd" ripoff
Hey, that's what Geo Soros says about him. A mind-meld of hcap & Gerogie Boy. What an eye opener. :eek:

lamboguy
12-03-2010, 12:01 PM
i think that greta has a great show and she gets good interviews. whether you like hannity or not he did get a big interview with g.w. bush recently, even though bush was hustling his book it was still a very well done interview and somewhat interesting. i highly doubt that keith oberman gets interviews that amount to didly

when the ratings go down it is usually for lack of content.

jelly
12-03-2010, 12:14 PM
Put Beck in Primetime and his rating might just beat O'Reilly.

ArlJim78
12-03-2010, 12:23 PM
Jim, there is no "slide" it's the usual post election, Holidays rating. When one of their shows repeats, it still bests 2nd place (MSNBC) prime time numbers by a factor of 4x. When your repeats would stomp your competition, you have nothing to worry about.

Btw, it is an opinionated Talk show network after 8p. That's prime time. Everybody goes to that format. Why do you think Headline news changed? There are so many outlets for news now, by 8p nobody is tuning in for the actual news at 8p. Even if they are, they get the crawl and the mid show update.

Roger Ailes knows what he is doing and he is blasting the pants off the competition every single hour of every day. He needs to move Greta to 5p and Beck to 9p and Hannity to 10p. Just my opine. But it doesn't really matter.....they tatoo the competition no matter what.
It may be all true, I simply don't care for either their news or opinion shows. Special Report is the one exception. Generally I prefer to watch Fox Business network over Fox News.
Yes Fox tattoos the competition especially if you mean MSNBC which is hideous beyond belief, most of their hosts belong in straight jackets. But I must say that I find myself tuning in to CNN more often if I just want to hear some news. the tone is more to my liking.

I'm not against opinion shows after 8PM per se. I just don't like what they deliver on Fox. Hannity, O'Reilly, I can't watch them. Yes Ailes knows what he's doing and these shows have a big following. I'm just not part of their fan base.

Mike at A+
12-03-2010, 12:41 PM
I posted "Fox is Slipping" mostly to get everyone's attention. I can watch everybody on Fox and chuckle at what I consider the party line presented in a laughable factually wrong way. However, my main point was Beck. The craziest by far and beyond anything else on Fox. A frightening hysterical "Face in The Crowd" ripoff who was rapidly climbing in ratings. For a while looking to eclipse even O'Reilly. Now just as rapid in decline. As mentioned in the article, his Restoring Honor rally did very little ratings wise.
Ah but the copycat rally (Restoring Sanity) really did work. Sanity was indeed restored on November 2nd.

riskman
12-03-2010, 12:44 PM

While many might be entertained and maybe even briefly enticed by the same old news and propaganda on Fox and other cable news they now have other news and opinion options on the internet. Everyone who switches from believing all the establishment cable news propaganda and print garbage to alternative press will likely be doing themselves a big favor.

NJ Stinks
12-03-2010, 01:05 PM
i think that greta has a great show and she gets good interviews. whether you like hannity or not he did get a big interview with g.w. bush recently, even though bush was hustling his book it was still a very well done interview and somewhat interesting. i highly doubt that keith oberman gets interviews that amount to didly

when the ratings go down it is usually for lack of content.

Olbermann regularly has on his show one of the brightest lights out there - Ezra Klein of the Washington Post.

Klein is a fountain of accurate information. Here's the title (and link) of his last offering from washingtonpost.com:

Posted at 10:22 AM ET, 12/ 2/2010
Why did the Democrats falter on the tax cuts?

By Ezra Klein

http://voices.washingtonpost.com/ezra-klein/2010/12/why_did_the_democrats_falter_o.html

johnhannibalsmith
12-03-2010, 01:12 PM

Didn't you read GameTheory's post?

Beck's whole schtick is basically "exposing" Obama, his minions, and the agenda. They're all exposed, there is no conspiracy any longer because they've all either resigned or essentially come out clean to accept the criticisms.

Obama was Jesus resurrected every waking moment for weeks and weeks and weeks as people tried to make him into something more than a politician - Well, Beck just obliged the audience of skeptics by taking it the other way, something more than a politician, but not in a positive way.

It's stale now. It was good entertainment at the time, but as he peeled away the layers of this and that to try and "expose" the truth - aspects of the president's facade began to lose their shine in general without Beck's help and it's just not interesting to search for obscure intangibles with which to criticize when a large population of the country can find solid tangibles without being enlightened to subtleties.

bigmack
12-03-2010, 01:21 PM
Olbermann regularly has on his show one of the brightest lights out there - Ezra Klein of the Washington Post.
:lol: Your hero. A 25 year old hyperpartisan from Orange County. :lol:

delayjf
12-03-2010, 01:56 PM
Ezra Klein of the Washington Post.

Another moron who thinks you can tax your way out of a recession. I'll sure he and Rachael Maddow that just can't believe they got the smacked down in the elections. All that liberal intellecual brain power and they keep rehashing the same old leftist failed policies. Ha ha :lol:

NJ Stinks
12-03-2010, 02:31 PM
Another moron who thinks you can tax your way out of a recession. I'll sure he and Rachael Maddow that just can't believe they got the smacked down in the elections. All that liberal intellecual brain power and they keep rehashing the same old leftist failed policies. Ha ha :lol:

The next time the "moron" says or writes something moronic, point it out here if you get a chance.

boxcar
12-03-2010, 02:37 PM
The next time the "moron" says or writes something moronic, point it out here if you get a chance.

It would be infinitely easier to record the historic event of when the "moron" actually said something that made sense. This might occur once every century.
To go the other way would require an army of people to do all the recording.

Boxcar

Robert Fischer
12-03-2010, 02:41 PM
fox is hit or miss, but Maddow is ultra annoying.

If Olberman could come from sportscenter... then i've got a good crossover for FOX to go to ... - JIM ROME

I'm telling you Jim Rome would be a star

hcap
12-03-2010, 02:50 PM
Didn't you read GameTheory's post?

Beck's whole schtick is basically "exposing" Obama, his minions, and the agenda. They're all exposed, there is no conspiracy any longer because they've all either resigned or essentially come out clean to accept the criticisms.

Obama was Jesus resurrected every waking moment for weeks and weeks and weeks as people tried to make him into something more than a politician - Well, Beck just obliged the audience of skeptics by taking it the other way, something more than a politician, but not in a positive way.

It's stale now. It was good entertainment at the time, but as he peeled away the layers of this and that to try and "expose" the truth - aspects of the president's facade began to lose their shine in general without Beck's help and it's just not interesting to search for obscure intangibles with which to criticize when a large population of the country can find solid tangibles without being enlightened to subtleties.Have you watched him lately? He is much worse than just his anti-Obama shtick. He is way crazier and my suspicion is not so much that anti-Obama stuff has run it's course-for god sakes-it's as bad HERE as ever-but that he has gotten TOO crazy even for Fox viewers. The few minutes that I can stomach is mind boggling. Phony maudlin tears completes the sick picture.

johnhannibalsmith
12-03-2010, 03:22 PM
I admit that I haven't seen him in a while. Well, a few minutes here and there. I never loved the show, but it was pretty decent entertainment most of the time. I just can't handle the interview segments and live audience think tank garbage and preaching on a stage like Steve Martin... What was unique about the show a year or so ago feels more like redundant reduntant redundancy most of the time when I do catch it.

It's no shock that the viewership has dropped off - it pretty much had to. You think he's crazy, I think he's calculated - If repackaging the show somehow is what it takes for the next "generation", I have my doubts that he will forsake the smart business option so that he can remain a madman screaming about ACORN and George Soros.

bigmack
12-03-2010, 03:24 PM
He's an Einstein. Speakin' of which, I always get a kick outta when a Jew points out the merits of Nazism. That's called going rouge. :faint:

http://i165.photobucket.com/albums/u70/macktime/ez1.png

http://i165.photobucket.com/albums/u70/macktime/ez2.png

PhantomOnTour
12-03-2010, 03:27 PM
After being so down for so long, MSNBC has nowhere to go but up. And in reality, many of their viewers are actually Fox viewers tuning into MSNBC for the comedic value. I know I'm guilty of tuning in occasionally.
Have you any facts to back this up or is it just opinion?

rastajenk
12-03-2010, 03:32 PM
Ezra Klein of the totally discredited JournoList, a "fountain of accurate information?" :D :D :faint: As in, "if we lose control of the narrative, just make shit up?" Too funny.

As to the original post, four per cent of nuthin' is still nuthin'.

bigmack
12-03-2010, 03:34 PM
Ezra Klein of the totally discredited JournoList, a "fountain of accurate information?" :D :D :faint: As in, "if we lose control of the narrative, just make shit up?" Too funny.
Oh yeah, I forgot about that. He's a real big brain. NJStinky looks to him for guidance. :lol:

Sericm
12-03-2010, 06:41 PM
The MSNBC ratings are still miniscule and always will be. O'Reilly draws 3 million viewers and Olbernazi 900 thousand. The Fox ratings are slipping, REALLY! Beck's ratings are 2 million plus his competition in the hundred of thousands. Slipping REALLY!

On election night Olbernazi and Chris tingle were the most pathetic duo of reporting the results I have ever seen in 40 years of watching.

BlueShoe
12-03-2010, 07:48 PM
hcap & his graphs. :D
Lets stop a moment and go back to the OP and see what Cappys source is. The Daily Kos?:eek: Do you really think that this Marxist propaganda mill is going to ever say anything positive at all about Fox, or to refrain from distorting the facts?

boxcar
12-03-2010, 07:58 PM
The MSNBC ratings are still miniscule and always will be. O'Reilly draws 3 million viewers and Olbernazi 900 thousand. The Fox ratings are slipping, REALLY! Beck's ratings are 2 million plus his competition in the hundred of thousands. Slipping REALLY!

On election night Olbernazi and Chris tingle were the most pathetic duo of reporting the results I have ever seen in 40 years of watching.

And Beck's time slot stinks! Hardly prime time.

Boxcar

Rookies
12-03-2010, 08:20 PM
I've always thought the FOX Loon Raver(s) & Toto on the shriek at the audience shows were cartoons and not even close to the cash cow Simpsons ( that has more hidden references to esoteric topics than any show ever on TV.)

I don't & won't ever pay for that station here, so I only see it for a few minutes when south of the border. I get the mainstream FOX network though and I would say that I am impressed with Chris Wallace on FNS.

He is almost balanced and normally fair, unlike that Con toady of the party line Kristol or to a lessor extent Hume. He does his background work and guests should be prepared. He is.

Tom
12-03-2010, 10:31 PM
I notice no one is able to dispute Beck's content or his predictions that have come true repeatedly.......going after the phony tears is like going after Obama for his butt ugly embarrassment of a wife.:D

So far, all I have heard is.....hecklers! :eek:

NJ Stinks
12-04-2010, 12:02 AM
Oh yeah, I forgot about that. He's a real big brain. NJStinky looks to him for guidance. :lol:

Mack, as you know, the fact that you don't like him is a plus. :lol:

jelly
12-04-2010, 01:11 AM
Glenn Beck’s Live Performance Draws 2,500 People, Thousands More Across the Country

By Molly Stark Dean on December 3, 2010 4:49 PM
Fox News Channel host Glenn Beck took his show on the road again last night playing to a crowd of 2,500 at the Benedum Center in Pittsburgh.

The road show was to promote his new book, “Broke: Restarting the Engine of America” was simulcast in 537 movie theaters nationwide.“This engine that the Founders gave us was perfect,” the TV and radio talker anchor told the crowd, “All we have to do is find the original parts.”

Fathom Events, which provides the theater experience, does not have numbers from last night’s simulcast shows but Dan Diamond, VP of NCM Fathom tells TVNewser the event sold-out in multiple theater locations across the country.

“Ticket reports indicate this was another very successful one-night Glenn Beck event with NCM Fathom,” says Diamond. “If anyone missed last night’s event, they only have one more opportunity to see it next week.” The show will return to theaters Wednesday.

Beck has incorporated the road show into his repertoire since his 2007 bestseller “An Inconvenient Book.” In June of 2009, Beck brought his “Common Sense” comedy tour to several cities, which was simulcast in movie houses.

cj's dad
12-04-2010, 01:45 AM
I notice no one is able to dispute Beck's content or his predictions that have come true repeatedly.......going after the phony tears is like going after Obama for his butt ugly embarrassment of a wife.:D

So far, all I have heard is.....hecklers! :eek:

Tom,I have said this repeatedly; i.e. his critics NEVER speak of the content of his program and whether or not that content is factual. The only attack if you will comes from name calling and trivial references to his on stage demeanor.

Personally, I don't care for Beck or any of the Fox cast except for the blondes that I without prejudice feel contribute much more to the show than the nightly line up of Bill, Sean and Greta !!

ElKabong
12-04-2010, 09:24 AM
It's to the point i can't watch o'reilly anymore. The guy is so condescending and overbearing, it's unwatchable and unlistenable (probably not a word). If any of us met anyone on the street with that type of personality, we'd all walk away from him. His style just won't cut it in the real world.

Same for Olberman, Matthews, Oconnell (or mcconnell, whatever the F his name is)

I've been giving Spitzer-Parker a try lately. So far so good.

I do like Greta's interviews....and all the FOX hotties are nice too

Tom
12-04-2010, 10:34 AM
Personally, I don't care for Beck or any of the Fox cast except for the blondes that I without prejudice feel contribute much more to the show than the nightly line up of Bill, Sean and Greta !!

I don't often listen to Beck too long because his radio show gets moronic quickly. I listen to the beginning of his TV show on XM on the way home, and tune in, if it sounds interesting, when I get home. I can't take Fox And Friend in the moring anymore - just a waste of air time. I watch the Fox NEWS shows, not talk shows, other than House Calls on Sunday morning.
Jamie is very good - smart cookie. Can't take Cavueto much - he is a rank amateur as a host. No interviewing skills at all.
Fair, Balanced, and often un-bee-lee-va-bly annoying. :D