PDA

View Full Version : Racing in CA will make a huge comeback now!

InsideThePylons-MW
12-02-2010, 12:11 PM
http://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing/articles/60154/aaron-vercruysse-added-as-toc-consultant

....I guess he's a better choice than Todd Schrupp,,,,,,but maybe not?

"Vercruysse, who recently resigned as vice president of racing and wagering at Santa Anita Park, where he spent the last nine years"

....Wow! What a resume builder. 9 years service at a place when wagering and racing fell off a cliff while you were in charge.

"“We’re very excited about bringing Aaron aboard, and his addition couldn’t be coming at a better time,” said Brian Boudreau, TOC vice chairman and also also chairman of the owner group's ADW and simulcasting committee. “With so many racing and gaming issues coming up, including recent legislation to increase purses, his understanding of the economics in racing will be vital to maximize returns for owners, trainers, and jockeys.”

.....Is this guy serious? His addition couldn't be coming at a better time? Aaron's understanding of the economics in racing will be vital to maximize returns? How did that work out in his 9 years at SA Brian?

“Under this board’s leadership, TOC has a renewed focus on strategic issues that deliver meaningful results for Thoroughbred owners and the California horseracing industry,” Lamothe said

.....Zetcher says that owners fund the sport....Auerbach somehow thinks all owners should make a profit racing horses....That's a great starting point to focus on strategic issues.

Lamothe said. “We’re thrilled to be working with Aaron, who brings an excellent skill set, broad industry knowledge, and an accomplished track record to help us achieve our goals.”

.....Accomplished track record? What? Where?

"Vercruysse also served on the board of directors of Tracknet Media Group from 2008 to 2010."

.....Wow! Tracknet! A group formed to screw horseplayers and owners.

"He is a graduate of the University of Arizona Race Track Industry Program."

.....Oh No! Say it isn't so! Not another one.

andymays
12-02-2010, 12:22 PM
It's really hard to read the stuff coming from California Racing these days.

I don't know much about Aaron but I do know that the TOC and the CHRB are stacked with people who know nothing about gambling. Every time I mention the fact that "they know nothing about gambling" I shake my head in disbelief but it's the truth. I guess Aaron can't make things any worse.

California racing couldn't be more off stride than it is right now.

andymays
12-02-2010, 12:46 PM
This was just sent to me by email.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sent: 12/2/2010 9:31:21 A.M. Pacific Standard Time
Subj: TOC

Dear Mr. Breed and Mr. Miller:

On November 5, 2010, I sent you an e-mail requesting that the California Horse Racing Board (the “CHRB”) meet with Mr. Jamgotchian to determine whether or not the Thoroughbred Owners of California (the “TOC”) had improperly used national thoroughbred racing marketing program funds. I understand that you did, in fact, meet with Mr. Jamgotchian to discuss in detail the TOC’s alleged violations regarding these funds. Since Mr. Jamgotchian has fully explained to you, the Executive Director and Counsel for the CHRB, the TOC’s alleged violations, we ask that the CHRB demand that the TOC immediately return these funds to the purse pools pursuant to Bus. & Prof. Code s. 19613.05, which states in pertinent part:

a) Any association, including a fair, that conducts thoroughbred racing shall pay to the owners' organization, contracting with the association with respect to the conduct of thoroughbred racing, an additional 1 3/4 percent of the portion required by Section 19613 for a national marketing program. These funds shall be used exclusively for the promotion of thoroughbred racing in conjunction with a national thoroughbred racing marketing program. Funds that may not be needed for this effort shall be returned to the purse pool at the racing associations where these funds were raised in direct proportion to the amount in which they were initially raised.

As previously stated, Mr. Jamgotchian has instructed me to file a lawsuit against the TOC and possibly the CHRB to require compliance with all applicable laws, including, but not limited to, Bus. & Prof. Code s. 19613.05, Before doing so, I ask that you update me on your investigation so Mr. Jamgotchian and I can determine whether or not the CHRB should be joined as a defendant in the lawsuit against the TOC.

Mr. Jamgotchian believes that the $1,167,025 received by the TOC from the NTRA pursuant to the Transfer Agreement dated on or about August 24, 2006, constitutes, without question, national marketing funds. Any returned funds according to Bus. & Prof. Code s. 19613.05 "shall be returned to the purse pool." Therefore, it seems clear that the CHRB must demand that the TOC immediately return the $1,167,025, plus statutory interest on these funds since August 2006, to the purse pools as required by law.

I look forward to your immediate response and hope that litigation against the CHRB will prove to be unnecessary.

Yours,

Ronald S. Caswell, Esq.
Caswell & Cannon

The_Knight_Sky
12-02-2010, 01:07 PM
.....Accomplished track record? What? Where?

"Vercruysse also served on the board of directors of Tracknet Media Group from 2008 to 2010."

.....Wow! Tracknet!
A group formed to screw horseplayers and owners.

I don't know much about Mr. Vercruysee the businessperson, to have an opinion. But this episode is another in a long line of racing executives that leave one position and take up another one before the next presidential election takes place.

The commitment to creating ideas, implement projects, oversee and follow through from horse racing's leaders is lacking.

And horse racing will not get recover http://i53.tinypic.com/200tyj8.gif with these types of disposable employments if everyone keeps jumping ship.

jelly
12-02-2010, 03:37 PM
You don't have to bet So. Cal. Boycott baby!

Tampa opens soon.

Pick-3, Pick-4, Super High-5, Pick-6
19 % Reduced from 20% last year!

Exacta
20.5 % Reduced from 21.5% last year!

The_Knight_Sky
12-02-2010, 03:52 PM

Tampa opens soon.

Exacta

There is still room for Tampa to lower to 19% and be "price-competitive". :D

But you're right.
Tampa Bay's keeps incrementally lowering the takeout rates and the public responds by supporting them every year.

The opposite is true at Calder. Yet they blame handle woes on "competition" from 2 days a week signals like Monmouth Park. Untruths and blatant lies seem to be fashionable to present in the media instead of doing the right thing.

jelly
12-02-2010, 05:29 PM
There is still room for Tampa to lower to 19% and be "price-competitive". :D

But you're right.
Tampa Bay's keeps incrementally lowering the takeout rates and the public responds by supporting them every year.

The opposite is true at Calder. Yet they blame handle woes on "competition" from 2 days a week signals like Monmouth Park. Untruths and blatant lies seem to be fashionable to present in the media instead of doing the right thing.

Agree,

but they are moving in the right direction and thats what I like to support.I expect the takeout to be lowered again in the near future.

Don't know if the people in Cali. can bet TB,but if so there is an alternative.

BlueShoe
12-03-2010, 01:24 PM
Don't know if the people in Cali. can bet TB,but if so there is an alternative.
Unless there is an otb policy change this year, the answer is no. Perhaps a few races for the first three weeks, but once Gulfstream starts, that will be the only simo signal into California from Florida. Would much prefer Tampa to Gulfstream, but not going to get it. Those full fields of cheaper horses and fine turf course are right up my alley. Play Tampa on my Nevada trips, and like the racing. The Tampa stewards, not so much.:ThmbDown: In just the last couple of years have suffered three very painful dq's at their hands, and this from very limited exposure. Just part of racing, but still, a couple of them were pretty ticky tack.

BillW
12-03-2010, 01:48 PM

Tampa opens soon.

Exacta

Jelly,

I think you are a year behind the times :)

TAM reduced their exacta to 20.5% last year (it was 21.5% in 2008). The PK races were reduced from 20% to 19% last year also.

This year they are reducing their PK's to 18%.

Hats off to Tampa Bay Downs! :ThmbUp: