PDA

View Full Version : Aqueduct Inner Track Tips

xfile
12-01-2010, 07:42 AM
New York Racing "The Insider"
Aqueduct Inner Track Tips

Destroying The Myths: The one-mile inner dirt track is not a "synthetic" surface. It is a dirt, clay, and loam composite over a limestone base to facilitate drainage.

There are no underground hot-water pipes to keep the track from freezing.

The stretch isn't short - at 1,155.5 feet, it's the longest of any NYRA dirt stretch because of the tight, short turns.

Distances: Sprints can go no longer than 6-furlongs. Seven-furlong races would start on the clubhouse turn so are not run at all.

One-mile races go two turns with a very short run to the first turn, making inside speed a big advantage.

Same with the mile and 70 yard and mile-and-a-sixteenth races. Races at 9-furlongs are not as post-dependent but are speed favoring nonetheless.

Horse For The Course Angle: Early in the meet, this one pays out some dividends.

Horses that have been plodding along at Aqueduct Main Track, Belmont, Saratoga, and other venues but who have shown an affinity for the inner track in past seasons often come alive when they get back to winter racing at Aqueduct on the inner dirt.

Inside Speed At Two Turns: Races from a mile to 8.5 furlongs leave the gate and hit a sharp turn very quickly.

Outside posts get fanned wide and lose a lot of ground or drop back to tuck in to lose a lot of ground. Both maneuvers are not to a runner's advantage.

Inside runners with early pace that carry huge numbers (odds) often outrun their odds. Outside posts can be OK if the horse can clear the field and get to the inside.

Speed At Any Distance: Nobody wants to be fanned on the tight turns. Racing wide over the Aqueduct inner track doesn't work unless the horse is much the best.

Many races are won by a rail-skimming ride and then a sweep to the outside once by the quarter pole.

Study the riders and charts to see who's cashing with this move.

Trainer Angle$: Nowhere is the trainer angle more important than on the Aqueduct inner dirt. Gary Contessa is loaded for bear year after year and snags the majority of his earnings during the winter at Aqueduct.

Shippers: Look for Finger Lakes, Philadelphia, and Suffolk shippers that come in with their out-of-state riders.

This angle can sometimes make your day. The big horses are laid up or down south, the top trainers are in Florida, and the competition is wide-open.

Rail Bias: Is the rail "golden"?

You'll know after the third race. When the inner rail is on, the top riders will do most anything to get there.

Check to see if they're avoiding it and make adjustments in your plays. Be aware of the track condition.

After a thaw, water that was frozen deep down can rise to the top of the track on a sunny day and change track conditions in short order.

Planning ahead is fine but the winter Aqueduct player has to be prepared to make adjustments on a race-by-race basis.

Summary: Aqueduct inner track racing can be very profitable but requires the handicapper to virtually re-learn the game and keep in mind that standard handicapping will not work.

The best horse does not always get home on top because of the "quirks" inherent in the physical layout of the track and the weather conditions. Those that heed the "angles" are at a huge advantage.

MPRanger
12-01-2010, 08:11 AM
Great info! Thanks. I'm taking notes.

xfile
12-01-2010, 08:20 AM
WEDNESDAY DEC 1 - AQUEDUCT UPDATE - @NYRAnews: No live racing or simulcasting at Aqueduct today due to heavy rains and high winds.

xfile
12-01-2010, 08:57 AM
WEDNESDAY DEC 1 - AQUEDUCT UPDATE - @NYRAnews: No live racing or simulcasting at Aqueduct today due to heavy rains and high winds.

or to be blunt: "CRAP" http://www.fullcardreports.com/images208/santa2.gif ....But....Tampa Bay opens in a week and change

Gapfire
12-01-2010, 09:39 AM
Outside posts can be OK if the horse can clear the field

Very true, in fact, horses breaking outside of post position 4 win 42% of the races run at a mile on the inner.

www.gapfire.com

CBedo
12-01-2010, 12:32 PM
Very true, in fact, horses breaking outside of post position 4 win 42% of the races run at a mile on the inner.

www.gapfire.comBut what percentage of the starters are they?

fmolf
12-01-2010, 05:31 PM
But what percentage of the starters are they?
Trying to clear a field with the turn coming up so quickly is usually a desparation move and rarely works unless there is absolutely no other speed to the inside.most races are won from the outer posts by dropping in to the rail and pressing the pace.they may win 42% but they also are underperforming campared to posts 1-4....

Robert Fischer
12-01-2010, 06:09 PM
it's a cheap enough meet that certain classes of horses will have problems. And if those horses get everything in their favor, they will appear to do well and be overrated and can be opposed next time. Particularly statebreds who have yet to graduate. It works because the meet isn't cheap enough that horses can routinely overcome problems and not have a great setup. Certain trainers excluded.

Jackal
12-01-2010, 07:16 PM
There is nothing cheap about AQU. I have seen to many horses struggle in $5,000 claimers at AQU become ALW winners at FL. I realize the level of competition at Finger Lakes isn't that great but it's stronger than most low level tracks.

Robert Fischer
12-01-2010, 07:43 PM
There is nothing cheap about AQU. I have seen to many horses struggle in $5,000 claimers at AQU become ALW winners at FL. I realize the level of competition at Finger Lakes isn't that great but it's stronger than most low level tracks.

cheap may have been a bad choice of words...

the class level is such that at the lower levels the angle i stated has been good to me.

if it was too cheap problems wouldn't matter. Almost all the horses I note lose as low-odds choices later in the aqueduct meet, and drop and eventually end up at lower-level tracks where they often do well.

Tom
12-01-2010, 09:33 PM
Many state breds ship to FL and improve dramatically.
Many state breds are cheaper than dirt. :rolleyes:

therussmeister
12-01-2010, 09:48 PM
Many state breds ship to FL and improve dramatically.
Many state breds are cheaper than dirt. :rolleyes:
But are they cheaper than synthetics?

PaceAdvantage
12-02-2010, 05:41 PM
New York Racing "The Insider"
Aqueduct Inner Track Tips

Destroying The Myths: The one-mile inner dirt track is not a "synthetic" surface. It is a dirt, clay, and loam composite over a limestone base to facilitate drainage.

There are no underground hot-water pipes to keep the track from freezing.

The stretch isn't short - at 1,155.5 feet, it's the longest of any NYRA dirt stretch because of the tight, short turns.

Distances: Sprints can go no longer than 6-furlongs. Seven-furlong races would start on the clubhouse turn so are not run at all.

One-mile races go two turns with a very short run to the first turn, making inside speed a big advantage.

Same with the mile and 70 yard and mile-and-a-sixteenth races. Races at 9-furlongs are not as post-dependent but are speed favoring nonetheless.

Horse For The Course Angle: Early in the meet, this one pays out some dividends.

Horses that have been plodding along at Aqueduct Main Track, Belmont, Saratoga, and other venues but who have shown an affinity for the inner track in past seasons often come alive when they get back to winter racing at Aqueduct on the inner dirt.

Inside Speed At Two Turns: Races from a mile to 8.5 furlongs leave the gate and hit a sharp turn very quickly.

Outside posts get fanned wide and lose a lot of ground or drop back to tuck in to lose a lot of ground. Both maneuvers are not to a runner's advantage.

Inside runners with early pace that carry huge numbers (odds) often outrun their odds. Outside posts can be OK if the horse can clear the field and get to the inside.

Speed At Any Distance: Nobody wants to be fanned on the tight turns. Racing wide over the Aqueduct inner track doesn't work unless the horse is much the best.

Many races are won by a rail-skimming ride and then a sweep to the outside once by the quarter pole.

Study the riders and charts to see who's cashing with this move.

Trainer Angle$: Nowhere is the trainer angle more important than on the Aqueduct inner dirt. Gary Contessa is loaded for bear year after year and snags the majority of his earnings during the winter at Aqueduct.

Shippers: Look for Finger Lakes, Philadelphia, and Suffolk shippers that come in with their out-of-state riders.

This angle can sometimes make your day. The big horses are laid up or down south, the top trainers are in Florida, and the competition is wide-open.

Rail Bias: Is the rail "golden"?

You'll know after the third race. When the inner rail is on, the top riders will do most anything to get there.

Check to see if they're avoiding it and make adjustments in your plays. Be aware of the track condition.

After a thaw, water that was frozen deep down can rise to the top of the track on a sunny day and change track conditions in short order.

Planning ahead is fine but the winter Aqueduct player has to be prepared to make adjustments on a race-by-race basis.

Summary: Aqueduct inner track racing can be very profitable but requires the handicapper to virtually re-learn the game and keep in mind that standard handicapping will not work.

The best horse does not always get home on top because of the "quirks" inherent in the physical layout of the track and the weather conditions. Those that heed the "angles" are at a huge advantage.I found these exact same words on some other board written two years ago. Care to elaborate?

Gapfire
12-03-2010, 10:17 AM
I found these exact same words on some other board written two years ago. Care to elaborate?

Yes, I just read the same thing on a different board dated Dec. 2008.

xfile
12-03-2010, 11:37 AM
I found these exact same words on some other board written two years ago. Care to elaborate?
No surprise if it was posted before. It has appeared on our website in the free section for the last 3-4 years. Still good stuff.

Gapfire
12-03-2010, 11:41 AM
No surprise if it was posted before. It has appeared on our website in the free section for the last 3-4 years. Still good stuff.

So you authored these tips xfile? Good stuff :ThmbUp:

xfile
12-03-2010, 11:50 AM
So you authored these tips xfile? Good stuff :ThmbUp:
Thanks - I have another good one for Aqu I'll post....