PDA

View Full Version : Android Smart Phones

redshift1
11-29-2010, 02:11 PM
Anybody use the Android based smart-phones I'm getting one with my new cell provider?

CBedo
11-29-2010, 02:41 PM
I was a long time iPhone user that roughly two months ago, switched to Sprint & to the Samsung Epic (Galaxy line of phones). I think there are pluses and minuses relative to the iPhone. I'll try to summarize what I think.

Data & Cost

I switched mainly for data and cost issues. With the iPhone, I either had to jailbreak it or, or carry another broadband wireless card, and also had data caps from AT&T and from Veriozn on my MiFi card. I didn't think I would ever go over the caps, but it's amazing how many places I find myself with no internet service and need the card. With Sprint, I can use my phone as a wireless hotspot and have a truly unlimited data plan. This cuts down on my costs dramatically. I live in Denver which is rolling out 4g and the data speeds I have gotten when I have it have been 3-5x faster than 3g. (It is also nice that the phone actually works well in my home, whereas my IPhone 3Gs and 4 got poor reception in home.

User Experience

I haven't had any issues finding replacement applications on Android for the ones I used on iPhone. Most have similar apps for both, and there are ample selections of new apps if I can't find the same old one I had.

It is a very different experience not being tied to iTunes, and a desktop/laptop computer. Everything from music to podcasts to apps can be found on the phone without having to be tethered to another computer. If you miss your iTunes connection, there are a couple programs that allow you a similar experience, even connecting to your iTunes library.

There are lots of little things that Apple really gets right in terms of the user interface and experience that the Sprint Android OS is slightly behind on. Nothing major, but little things that just made your life easy. I think you begin to get used to the Android, you don't notice them as much, but for someone who is computer illiterate or has a fear of devices, I'd stick with the iPhone for now. Hopefully, the next upgrade of Android will catch up somewhat in this department (I'm running 2.1, not 2.2).

Google Integration

I have had a google voice number for sometime and although the iPhone wasn't terrible, the ease of use and integration with my android phone is awesome. It literally took less than a minute after I turned on the new phone to get/synch my contacts and address book as well as my gmail account and other google tools.

Hardware

I chose the Epic over the Evo which has a full keyboard, and thus makes the phone much thicker than an iPhone, but that doesn't really bother me. I will say that I always hated the onscreen keyboards on the iphone and thought it would be the same with Android, but the "Swipes" typing (where you don't lift your finger, and draw lines from key to key) is really fast and it seems to learn what I want to type pretty quick, so I'm using the slideout keyboard less and less.

My biggest complaint is battery life. I thought the iPhone battery life was bad, but my Epic is much worse. If you leave on the GPS and the 4g, my phone will barely last a full day. With those services off, and not in use, it will last a couple days maybe, but heavy use definitely drains the battery. The good news is that you can carry extra batteries if you want and they aren't expensive.

I'm sure I've left out some positive/negative features, but I hope this helps and if you have any other questions, fire away. Overall, I'm glad I switched and this phone serves the purpose for the reason I switched.

chickenhead
11-29-2010, 03:20 PM
I'm using an Incredible, I like it a lot. Sense UI is nice and clean, phone is very snappy. Just a great phone. Battery could last longer, but I get through the day no sweat. Has 8 gig flash on board which is nice.

JustRalph
11-29-2010, 05:04 PM
Use the Evo, and CBedo just wrote the best damn review and contrast between the two I have ever read. :ThmbUp:

If you want the best of both worlds, get a Wifi Ipad and use the android hotspot in your phone, to connect the Ipad to the net. That's what I do, and love it. I have both worlds at my fingertips.

redshift1
11-29-2010, 05:23 PM
Thanks, CBedo, I'm getting the HTC desire should be plenty for me PLUS the plan has unlimited data so when I get the ipad (wireless only), I'm good to go for 3g capability.

What's a Google Voice number?

redshift1
11-29-2010, 05:30 PM
Use the Evo, and CBedo just wrote the best damn review and contrast between the two I have ever read. :ThmbUp:

If you want the best of both worlds, get a Wifi Ipad and use the android hotspot in your phone, to connect the Ipad to the net. That's what I do, and love it. I have both worlds at my fingertips.

I just found out about the tethering that's why i went with the Android Smart phone.

Cox Cable in Orange County CA just started a wireless service so I went with their plan $19.00 for the phone + a $200.00 Visa Card, total monthy charge $65.00 with discounts.

JustRalph
11-29-2010, 06:15 PM
What's a Google Voice number?

http://www.google.com/googlevoice/about.html#utm_source=en-ha-na-us-sk&utm_medium=ha&utm_term=google%20voice&utm_campaign=en

I've had mine for a while now.......works pretty good. Most of the time

you can also make calls from inside Gmail now.

CBedo
11-29-2010, 06:25 PM
http://www.google.com/googlevoice/about.html#utm_source=en-ha-na-us-sk&utm_medium=ha&utm_term=google%20voice&utm_campaign=en

I've had mine for a while now.......works pretty good. Most of the time

you can also make calls from inside Gmail now.I've been using it since the earlyl beta and I love it. The addition of calling (or being called) in gmail is nice, but what I don't understand is why I have to have my google voice & the gmail web page open to get all the functionality I want. You would think they would integrate the gmail calling into the google voice page.

JustRalph
11-29-2010, 06:43 PM
You would think they would integrate the gmail calling into the google voice page.

They are supposedly addressing that in the new year. I have heard this complaint many times on tech blogs and tech shows.

Btw, try "Google Goggles" it's weird but it works.

watch the video here

http://www.google.com/mobile/goggles/#text

not sure what the future holds for goggles......but it is interesting.

bigmack
11-29-2010, 07:37 PM
I've been using it since the earlyl beta and I love it.
If you have a phone, what's to love?

CBedo
11-29-2010, 07:45 PM
The list is long!

1) Not being tied to a single phone or carrier.
2) Being able to reached at multiple phones.
3) Being able to call from multiple phones (and have is show up as your google number).
4) Easiest contact management ever.
5) Sending & Receiving texts from any internet enabled device.
6) Different voice mail messages for different people or groups.
7) Blocking numbers easily or even giving them the "this phone is our of service" message.
8) Choose your own phone number.
9) Free visual voicemail and voicemail transcription
10) Easy to manage minutes if you need to.

I could go on and on. It's not a life change, but it makes my life easier.

bigmack
11-29-2010, 08:02 PM
Choose your own phone number.
That's new. Just snagged one that spells my name. I see value now. :ThmbUp:

CBedo
11-29-2010, 08:25 PM
That's new. Just snagged one that spells my name. I see value now. :ThmbUp:Haha! I spent at least 30 minutes picking mine out originally. :)

tribecaagent
11-29-2010, 08:34 PM
Cbedo is a tough act to follow. Bravo to you Bedo.

Let me say that I had the G1 since the beginning. Sucks. DO NOT PURCHASE THE G1. I then upgraded to the G2. It's the shiznit (as per Snoop Dog). It's all that and a bag o' chips. Super-duper device. YES, PURCHASE THE G2.

bigmack
11-29-2010, 11:33 PM
Being able to call from multiple phones (and have is show up as your google number
?

http://i165.photobucket.com/albums/u70/macktime/goophone.png

kingfin66
11-30-2010, 01:11 AM

Is this difficult to do? I have been able to tether my G1 to my netbook using PDAnet. It works like a charm. I would love to save money on a wifi iPad and the data plan by tethering to that as well. Is there a way to do it without rooting the phone?

redshift1
11-30-2010, 01:31 AM
Is this difficult to do? I have been able to tether my G1 to my netbook using PDAnet. It works like a charm. I would love to save money on a wifi iPad and the data plan by tethering to that as well. Is there a way to do it without rooting the phone?

This might help.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hbaOTN0BIN8

JustRalph
11-30-2010, 07:33 AM

yep, pay sprint 29 bucks a month. The nice thing is you can call up and turn it off and on as you need it.

I have yet to jailbreak my phone to do it without the fee, but I have an unlimited data plan with sprint and the jailbreak is looking more and more enticing........

There are some hotspot plans out there on cheaper phones that run just 30 bucks a month and you get a whole new phone ? I am told that some are buying the palm pre from sprint and using the hotspot feature that has 2Gig plan a month......for 15 bucks........ you have to catch it on sale though?

redshift1
11-30-2010, 12:21 PM
Froyo 2.2 apparently includes tethering without rooting or jail-breaking.

The G1 unfortunately needs rooting or jail-breaking to accept froyo 2.2.

CBedo
11-30-2010, 12:31 PM
?

http://i165.photobucket.com/albums/u70/macktime/goophone.pngThat's definitely part of it, but the key is under voice settings to set up other phones and when/if you want those phones to ring when someone calls your number (setup is pretty easy). I have setup two cell phones, my home phone, & my gmail talk.

You can tell it at what times you want them to b called. For example, if you are worried about your cell minutes going over, have it ring your land line until the evening when your cell minutes are free.

bigmack
11-30-2010, 12:34 PM
You had mentioned:
Being able to call from multiple phones (and have is show up as your google number)
Apparently, that feature has yet to be rolled out.

I am told that some are buying the palm pre from sprint and using the hotspot feature that has 2Gig plan a month......for 15 bucks........ you have to catch it on sale though?
Capped plans aren't worth the worry of butting into the ceiling. Especially when they're as limited as 2GB

CBedo
11-30-2010, 12:34 PM
I haven't rooted my phone (yet). It does pretty much everything I want it to do with 2.1. It would be nice to run Froyo and get rid of all the Sprint crap in the OS, which I'd assume, has to slow things down.

But since I have the 4g and hotspot capabilities right now, I'm a little apprehensive of doing anything to screw it up, lol, especially since Samsung is promising an OS upgrade soon.

We'll see.

bigmack
11-30-2010, 12:40 PM
"Jailbreak" is usually referred to with iphones. "Root" is with others.

If you choose to do either they can always be undone easily.

AEj_grcVK24

CBedo
11-30-2010, 12:41 PM
That's definitely part of it, but the key is under voice settings to set up other phones and when/if you want those phones to ring when someone calls your number (setup is pretty easy). I have setup two cell phones, my home phone, & my gmail talk.

You can tell it at what times you want them to b called. For example, if you are worried about your cell minutes going over, have it ring your land line until the evening when your cell minutes are free.Oh, I didn't read the bottom part. I've never tried to send a text message from another phone. Only sent it from my cell or a computer and it works fine. As far as calling, if you tell google voice to call from another phone, the caller id works and shows your google voice number. For example, if I tell my google voice app on my iMac to call you from my home phone, it will ring my home phone, I will pick it it up, and then it will dial you, and you will see my google voice number show up on the caller id.

turfnsport
11-30-2010, 01:01 PM
I need a new android or blackberry phone.. anyone happy with twinspires mobile on their phone? I'd just like a phone with a good web browser and to catch the occasional race on TW when I am out and about.

Any recommendations?

CBedo
11-30-2010, 01:03 PM
I need a new android or blackberry phone.. anyone happy with twinspires mobile on their phone? I'd just like a phone with a good web browser and to catch the occasional race on TW when I am out and about.

Any recommendations?I don't think it's optimal, but the screen size on my epic (Samsung Galaxy series) does pretty well when displaying video and the crappy TS mobile site.

redshift1
11-30-2010, 01:05 PM
"Jailbreak" is usually referred to with iphones. "Root" is with others.

If you choose to do either they can always be undone easily.

AEj_grcVK24

Correct same thing gaining system administrator access.

kingfin66
12-08-2010, 12:12 AM
This might help.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hbaOTN0BIN8

Thanks redsift. It turns out that it is a little bit more complicated than that video makes it out to be. First, the phone has to be rooted. Anybody who is interested in rooting Android phones really needs to go here:

http://theunlockr.com/2010/09/23/how-to-root-the-htc-g1-dream-androot-method/

This worked the first time, although I have to admit that it was very helpful reading the blog posts of the pitfalls people ran into. Turning off McAfee was key!