PDA

View Full Version : The Belmont

SmartyParty
11-29-2010, 12:18 PM
How soon should I look into getting tickets for next year's Belmont? And where is a good place to stay on Long Island near the track? And how do I get there from an airport? Does it sound like I don't come East very often? Thanks!

Grits
11-29-2010, 12:24 PM
You're a long time from thinking about seats. Hotels on Long Island near Belmont are the Garden City, the Inn at Fox Hollow, the Marriott at Uniondale, and a nice one but much smaller, and not as costly--the Floral Park Lodge. There may be a couple of others that I've not stayed in, but I can't recall.

Belmont's not far from Kennedy Itnl., still, you may want a rental with a GPS.

Edit to add: A LaQuinta. It used to be a Wingate at Garden City--stayed there long ago, and couldn't remember the new name--hotel chain, etc.

Cardus
11-29-2010, 01:35 PM
Tickets are not offered for sale by NYRA until next year.

For the past few years, all applications (which are not available until early next year, either) postmarked by March 1 or 31 are handled together, at random.

I would stay in Manhattan, though.

It is easy to get to Belmont via the Long Island Rail Road out of the main train station in Manhattan, and the train leaves you on the far turn of the track; you are alongside of it as the trains pulls into the station. Plus, you have the advantage of doing a lot more in Manhattan.

If time is not too important, plan to spend Friday at Belmont as well. It's a decent card with at least one stakes race.

The advantage to spending Friday there, too, is that you have a chance to walk around comfortably and see the entire place. Saturday is not conducive to walking around in space.

SmartyParty
11-29-2010, 01:50 PM
Thanks, Grits and Cardus. I can see the point of staying in Manhattan, for sure: Broadway shows come to mind! And if I flew all that way, I would probably go to the races for three or four days. I'm kinda into racing! But wow! Is it really hard to get good seats? Cuz I had pretty bad ones at this year's BC. I am not one who likes to watch the TV monitors, and it was impossible to see the horses on the backstretch.

Belmont is one of the few big tracks I haven't been to ... yet. Can't wait!

Linny
11-29-2010, 03:29 PM
If the TC is on the line I could be packed. If no TC, you can wander around like you were back in the desert.

Belmont is a nice track to see and any seat in the clubhouse (and most in the grandstand) is probably good. You don't have to have a ticket for a seat as there is SRO admission and it's actually fairly easy to get close to the horses near the paddock, the tunnel and out on the apron. Other than the Belmont itself, the dirt races all start on the backstretch and the turf courses are not exactly close up to the stands because the dirt course is wiiiiiiide. Bring binoculars!

SmartyParty
11-29-2010, 03:39 PM
If the TC is on the line I could be packed. If no TC, you can wander around like you were back in the desert.

Belmont is a nice track to see and any seat in the clubhouse (and most in the grandstand) is probably good. You don't have to have a ticket for a seat as there is SRO admission and it's actually fairly easy to get close to the horses near the paddock, the tunnel and out on the apron. Other than the Belmont itself, the dirt races all start on the backstretch and the turf courses are not exactly close up to the stands because the dirt course is wiiiiiiide. Bring binoculars!

I always bring my binocs! Thanks, Linny! And wouldn't it be something if Uncle Mo or another good 3YO gives us our Triple Crown winner this year?!

Cardus
11-29-2010, 08:23 PM
For $100 you will get a very good seat. If race viewing matters, ignore most of the Clubhouse, for every section is past the finish line. Only the first two Clubhouse sections on the 3rd floor are worthy if the finish is important to you. You'll see it when the application is published.

Come February, I am sure that there are people here who can guide you.

PaceAdvantage
11-29-2010, 08:52 PM
If the TC is on the line I could be packed. If no TC, you can wander around like you were back in the desert.I wouldn't got that far...

SmartyParty
11-29-2010, 09:59 PM
For $100 you will get a very good seat. If race viewing matters, ignore most of the Clubhouse, for every section is past the finish line. Only the first two Clubhouse sections on the 3rd floor are worthy if the finish is important to you. You'll see it when the application is published.

Come February, I am sure that there are people here who can guide you.

Sounds good, Cardus! Thanks!