View Full Version : Best Horse Names

sq764
09-25-2003, 11:02 PM
Watching Belmont replays.. 1st race - Place horse:

'Butterface'

Nice...(That's just wrong :-)

DJofSD
09-25-2003, 11:49 PM
I seem to recall a runner named Bodacioustatas.

DJofSD

BillW
09-26-2003, 12:02 AM
On the cleaner side: :eek:

Daddysmokedcigar - a Dare and Go filly(?) . Is one of my more recent favorites.

Zaf
09-26-2003, 12:03 AM
Hesaputz!

Loved when Trevor called his name !

ZAFONIC

cj
09-26-2003, 09:19 AM
Hesaputz...isn't that the horse that was forced to undergo a name change a few years back?

witchdoctor
09-26-2003, 09:38 AM
Hannibal Lecture (Race caller said that he was eating up the field.)
Closer to home Aamoo (Pronounced Amoooooooooooo) was one of my favorites

bettheoverlay
09-26-2003, 10:24 AM
There is a horse called Dating Minors running somewhere. Don't know how that got by the censors.

My current fav is a midwest horse called Spiritual Drift, mostly cause it describes my usual mood. Haven't won with him yet though.

Buddha
09-26-2003, 10:49 AM
A few months ago at mountaineer there was a horse named Damifino. Only if he had one the race, you could get everyone who asked if he won the race.

Who won the 5th?

Damifino.

What do you mean, you were here weren't you

Yes.

Well, who won the 5th?

Damifino.

Who?.....

sq764
09-26-2003, 11:04 AM
Still the funniest thing I have ever heard was during a harness race at Freehold Raceway. Larry Ledereman is the announcer and those of you who have hear him, know he’s a character..

There is harness horse named ‘Dominatrix’ and in the race, she was winning and his call down the stretch: “And Pierce is whipping Dominatrix down the lane, and she’s loving it”

Zaf
09-26-2003, 11:41 AM
Originally posted by cjmilkowski
Hesaputz...isn't that the horse that was forced to undergo a name change a few years back?

Yes the Jockey Club required that. I think the owner changed the name and used his son's or nephew's name as a replacement.

Uh, Thanks Dad :o

ZAFONIC

delayjf
09-26-2003, 12:02 PM
Marythetwit horse ran at Ak-Sar-Ben some years back.

Valuist
09-26-2003, 12:09 PM
I remember a horse named Tihsho would ran in Kentucky in the mid 90s; as Harry Caray used to say, spell that one backwards.

Let's not forget the perenial NW2 claimer Knobgobbler who ran at AP and Haw 3-4 years ago.

Valuist
09-26-2003, 12:26 PM
Forgot about the NY-bred siblings:

1. Ham Sandwich
2. With Mustard
3. On Rye
4. To Go

Lefty
09-26-2003, 12:46 PM
Hesaputz became Mr. Stanley and never did much after that.
Valuist, I remember Knobgobbler and always wondered how they got away with that one and then a horse named Hezaputz forced into a name change. Doesn't make sense to me.
Also in NY a few yrs ago, "Scorched Panties"

Valuist
09-26-2003, 01:16 PM
There was a horse a few years ago named Columbine Sorrow (or something like that) who was racing at the time of the Columbine shootings. They ended up changing the name shortly after the incident.

sq764
09-26-2003, 02:00 PM
These are all entertaining names, but what are the coolest horse names?

I always thought Easy Goer and Sunday Silence were cool horse names.

For harness racing, I always liked Red Bow Tie (helped that he won $3 million+)..

Niko
09-26-2003, 03:48 PM
I was always fond of Leatherneck Louie, a hard fighting quarterhorse.

cj
09-26-2003, 05:22 PM
Originally posted by Lefty
Hesaputz became Mr. Stanley and never did much after that...

Probably had an identity crisis :D

PaceAdvantage
09-27-2003, 12:03 AM
Durkin has a horse named after him running Saturday at Belmont

WINMANWIN
09-27-2003, 12:14 AM
Originally posted by PaceAdvantage
Durkin has a horse named after him running Saturday at Belmont

Just in case anyone wants to know the name, DURKIN'S CALL. Curious to hear Tom's comments during the running..:eek:

freeneasy
09-27-2003, 05:45 AM
iam waiting for someone to name a horse " i'd rather be sailing" then running around in this circle

panda1
09-27-2003, 09:23 AM
Here's a few names from the past.......

kissinthedark
dropyourdrawers....won the louisianna super derby years ago
bestestfriend
maryhadalittle
port conwaylane
queen of St mary
rainbow colors

witchdoctor
09-27-2003, 06:06 PM
We have a weanling out of the mare Lucky and Weiss (by Lucky North out of Our Edelweiss)by the stallion Capote's Prospect (by Capote out of Ballerina Princess). The name I want to use is Capote Got Lucky. My wife keeps vetoing it. Any other ideas??

freeneasy
09-27-2003, 08:20 PM
how about lucky prospect

BillW
09-27-2003, 08:23 PM
Originally posted by cjmilkowski
Probably had an identity crisis :D

He was probably expecting to be renamed Mr. Johnson. :p

Figman
09-27-2003, 08:50 PM
I remember being "a youngin" and first betting on the ponies with the town's bookmaker who also ran the local grocery store. Used to hang-around with another horse playin buddy for a half hour or forty five minutes after school and have a soda pop and a bag of potato chips. The store also attracted some oldtimers that often kept their friend, the oldtimer bookie, company throughout the day. They used to joke with each other on certain days that "all the women will be in today to get down on their favorite horse at the local harness track." And sure enuff....you would see many more women customers than usual slipping the bookie a piece of paper with some cash - their hunch bet. The horse's name was PETER UP!

Tom
09-27-2003, 11:00 PM
Originally posted by BillW
He was probably expecting to be renamed Mr. Johnson. :p
that was the name John Wayne Bobbit traveled under to
avoid the press - "Les Johnson "

:(

turfspec
09-28-2003, 12:03 AM
For some reason names I associate with Maryland breeding or training. One of my alltime favs - Mr. Pitty Pat. Anyone remember, was it Dumdedumdedum? The JC must have misplaced their dictionary the day ' Frottage' was approved. For cool it's hard to beat Ruffian.

JustRalph
09-28-2003, 12:38 AM
Balmoral Park Horse

"Squawshitbluegrass" I think it was a filly.........

Not sure exactly on the spelling but I think that's right.

The announcer at Balmoral....... I think he does Hawthorne now, used to complain about having to say the name.

PaceAdvantage
09-28-2003, 12:50 AM
Moved this thread out of the Handicapping forum for obvious reasons....just doing a little house cleaning tonight....don't mind me....LOL

kenwoodallpromos
09-28-2003, 02:07 AM
How about naming the horse WeissVeto?

turfspec
09-28-2003, 04:56 AM
Witch,

NorthbyNorthWeiss

WeissGuy

NormanTD
09-30-2003, 09:38 PM
I didn't really see this one but as it was told to me..

Sire - Smarten
Dame - County Music Singer

Horse - Dolly Smarten

IRISHLADSTABLE
10-04-2003, 08:04 PM
Originally posted by DJofSD

DJofSD

Thanks DJ

Years ago i worked in the bond dept at Smith Barney.
There was a young lady named Gina who was very chesty.
Everytime she would pass the dept my friend Tom would say
she got some Bodacious ta ta's . Seeing the name brought
back some funny memories.

Jimmy

IRISHLADSTABLE
10-04-2003, 08:18 PM
Originally posted by Valuist
Forgot about the NY-bred siblings:

1. Ham Sandwich
2. With Mustard
3. On Rye
4. To Go

Valuist,
I love that horse Ham Sandwich. I had a Great Neck
Filly in the 80'S named Oats to Go .

Jimmy

Pace Cap'n
10-04-2003, 08:31 PM
Not a horse name, but there is a high school football team in the area known as the "Spoofhounds".

Spoofhounds.

IRISHLADSTABLE
10-06-2003, 04:49 PM
HAM SANDWICH WORKED OUT AT FINGER LAKES

DATE 10/6/03

DIST 3 FURLONGS

SURFACE DIRT

TYPE BREEZING

TIME 36.80

JIMMY /ILS

rmania
10-07-2003, 09:51 AM
The funniest I ever saw was a horse named Fumducker. Ran for a couple of months before the Jockey Club figured it out and made them change it.

VetScratch
10-07-2003, 01:44 PM
Left On Laramie (Chicago circuit)

Probably driving instructions to HAW/SPT clubhouse entrances... West on 31st from Cicero Ave, then left on Laramie.

But one trainer insisted the name was meant to instruct jockeys how to find a stable gate if they blew the first turn on the old SPT bullring oval.

Dave Schwartz
10-07-2003, 01:52 PM
rmania,

Actually, the horse was Mr. Phumducker.

But close enough. <G>

Dave

Valuist
10-07-2003, 02:37 PM
I remember Left on Laramie. And many a rider blew that 1st turn at the old Spt.

shanta
10-07-2003, 03:57 PM
my fav was " boy chick"! forget where i saw him (or her) run a few years ago!

Valuist
10-10-2003, 09:27 AM
Here's a vote for the dumbest name: The Wedding Guest.

cryptic1
10-13-2003, 12:07 PM
A number of years ago some friends and I had a horse with a
trainer recommended by a colleague. The trainer was a Damon
Runyon character. He had a story for everything. He walked around with an unlit stogie hanging out of this mouth and uttered his pearls out of the side of his mouth.
We allowed him to talk us into having our horse winter at his
farm. The plan was to have this horse ready for the early 4 1/2
furlong races when Woodbine opened in March. The horse was a
hard trying sprinter. He worked the horse twice and found an
early $40,000.00 claimer for it to enter. It won in a hard drive. It came back to the barn extremely tired as it was related to me by a partner as I wasn't at the track. Four days later a partner phones and advises the horse is back in three days later. I question the advisability of this but the partner says the trainer
has barked he's ready.
I miss this race as well. He tries hard and finishes third in another claiming race. I get a call the next day from a partner who went to the barn and advises the horse is lame and he is going to get a shot of bute the following day. I assume the horse is to be laid off to correct the problem as do the other partners.
FIVE Days later another call from a partner who incredulously announces the horse has been entered in a $20,000.00 claimer. I immediately phone up the managing partner
and ask what the hells going on. I am told that the managing partner had met and the trainer had said the horse is fit and can
win another at 4 1/2 furlongs. I tell him if anything happens to the horse we're getting another trainer as this is insane.
The horse runs and finishes an exhausted last. I go to the barn with my partners as the horse is being washed. The first thing he growls out the side of his cigar chewing mouth as we enter his office "he ain't worth a ham sandwich". And with that ended my relationship with my first thoroughbred trainer.
The horse evenually came back five months later as an
$8,000.00 claimer and won. He subsequently became part of Frank Passero's winning streak at Gulfstream racetrack. The horse would have been a hard knocking upper claimer but for our naivete and our trainer's myopic view of managing horses.

cryptic1, learning as he goes..

Valuist
10-20-2003, 09:48 AM
Here's a couple more. Breeder/owner/trainer Noble Brown has one horse; it's name? Gimmeone Stall Plse.

Another one from SA: Sex Machine. I'm sure the owner will claim its named after him.

Claim digger
10-22-2003, 08:27 PM
Best name I ever saw was a horse by Porterhouse out of a mare called Pasta Fasulla.

The name?

Indigestion

Zaf
06-25-2007, 12:57 AM

1st at Colonial today :

4 Super Putz (MD) 20/1

I guess Hesaputz is not acceptable , but Super Putz is O.K. :lol:

Z

BillW
06-25-2007, 01:02 AM
1st at Colonial today :

4 Super Putz (MD) 20/1

I guess Hesaputz is not acceptable , but Super Putz is O.K. :lol:

Z
Firm Woody ran in a chariot race today too - the chariot gods aren't as discriminating though, I guess. :D

Hank
06-25-2007, 01:20 AM
Great horses with great names,the two all time best imho are COUNT FLEET, and MAN O WAR.

Humph
06-25-2007, 03:49 AM
The funniest I ever saw was a horse named Fumducker. Ran for a couple of months before the Jockey Club figured it out and made them change it.

On similar lines, there used to be a horse in England called Joe Blob (or should that have been Jow ?). Surprisingly the Jockey Club there allowed it.

Cangamble
06-25-2007, 11:51 AM
I named a horse once, Abolish It. I can't believe they let it get through:). Unfortunately, she raced to her name. I had her for three starts and then sold her for peanuts. Luckily, I was only partners on her.

HuggingTheRail
06-26-2007, 01:24 AM
From Canada,

At Exhibition Park (now Hastings) in the early - mid 1980's there was

Hoof Hearted

Horsefan
06-29-2007, 06:47 PM
I am tracking alot of two year old race results to see who some of our next star's might be ( I know it's too early yet:)) There is a filly in the Landaluce Stakes this Saturday called The Golden Noodle. It's a match made in heaven for her and The Green Monkey. Imagine the possibilities- The Golden Monkey, The Green Noodle, Monkey Noodles . . .

By the way, in the Landaluce Ever So Pretty, a full sister to Stormello, will be making her second start. She won the first time out.

46zilzal
06-29-2007, 06:48 PM
From Canada,

At Exhibition Park (now Hastings) in the early - mid 1980's there was

Hoof Hearted

Announcer refused to prononunce it...said Hoof Heart TED.

Premier Turf Club
06-29-2007, 07:10 PM
I remember a horse that raced on the NYRA circuit in my youth named What A Wabbit. I remember during one stretch drive Marshall Cassidy calling

That's What A Wabbit on the Wail...

Mike Peagram has given some of his clever names. Anyone remember Isitingood?

BillW
06-29-2007, 07:13 PM
Mike Peagram has given some of his clever names. Anyone remember Isitingood?

The clever thing about that name was that horse was out of Crusader's Sword. :lol:

bettheoverlay
06-29-2007, 07:26 PM
There is a horse scratched out of the last race today at Arlington called Thong or Pantie

HuggingTheRail
06-29-2007, 09:12 PM
Announcer refused to prononunce it...said Hoof Heart TED.

Yep, that would have been Doug Reid..

dylbert
06-29-2007, 09:20 PM
How about funny, goofy one from 1970s, "Akepot Sasnak", better known as Topeka, Kansas spelled backwards. Must have run at Ak-sar-ben?! or Atokad?!

SaratogaSteve
06-29-2007, 11:01 PM
Some of my faves from NYRA over the years...

Dolce Dolce Dolce
Achtung
Harvey Pack
Quick Quack Quick
Win

And the best owner w/ names is Caesar Kimmel repsonsible for Bodacious Tatas, Flat Fleet Feet, and the best name of all time, Cunning Stunt...

KingChas
06-30-2007, 12:17 AM
Cunning Stunt vs. Golden Balls :eek:

Headlines:

Golden Balls by two!

Cunning Stunt by a headbob!

Enough already ,I'm going to apply for that anchor job on HR/TVG. :p

KingChas
06-30-2007, 01:07 AM
:eek:

Charts

Cunning Stunt ridden out

Golden Balls scratched

:D

NY BRED
06-30-2007, 07:52 AM
by Caesar Kimmel, same owner ad Bodacious Tates

Horsefan
06-30-2007, 03:06 PM
(Written in good humor) Wow KingChas! As I get to know people here that is perhaps (note I said "perhaps"=non offensive) a very revealing post! Actually it's very funny:) When we picked for his last race on MSNBC no one even mentioned that his name was out of the ordinary:rolleyes: I didn't have the guts to bring it up, let alone the other name. Isn't Golden Balls named for David Beckham. So nice that's Golden Balls is running well. We need these horses with funny names to run well!!! If I see another "AP" in a name I'll scream!!!

cnollfan
07-01-2007, 02:53 PM
Quayle, by Deputy Commander out of Oblivious T

At Centennial in the 1970s there was a horse named Kissmarusty. The announcer refused to call his full name for some reason.

jognlope
07-01-2007, 06:08 PM
I love

atswhatimtalkinbout

mommadonetoldme

conman cunningham (at SA?)

datyoumizblue

declined amex

spelling's off of course...

Pace Cap'n
07-01-2007, 07:15 PM
One of my favorites, a filly on the NY circuit several years back--Anita Cocktail.

reckless
07-01-2007, 08:27 PM
I know I am dating myself here but there was an old racing columnist that once wrote a column on creative names of thoroughbreds. here were just a few I remembered:

Sire-Porterhouse, Dam-Pasta Fagiole:
Foal--Indigestion

Sire-Tom Fool, Dam-Pansy:
Foal--Social Outcast

Good4Now
07-01-2007, 11:28 PM
Calling a horse at Turf Paradise one day
Sky Hoof Hearted.
He cracked up and could barely call the remainder of it...

At a harness track, heard the announcer call
OG's Anita P.

PaceAdvantage
07-02-2007, 01:13 AM
Nice Assay

GaryG
07-02-2007, 05:30 PM
In Weds at Mth: Backside Action

Lasix1
07-02-2007, 05:44 PM
And don't forget those two sophomoric clowns from California, Bob Baffert and Mike Pegram who pushed the naming envelope with:

Isitingood
&
Inexcessivelygood.

KingChas
07-03-2007, 11:37 AM
(Written in good humor) Wow KingChas! As I get to know people here that is perhaps (note I said "perhaps"=non offensive) a very revealing post! Actually it's very funny:)

Welcome aboard Horsefan.
All in fun ,was just using horse's names and racing lingo.

A very revealing post?

Indeed, it's called "Perverted Handicapp(er)ing"! :D

boomman
07-03-2007, 01:31 PM
4 of my favorites:

1) Yakahickamicadola
2) Mendafendabenda
3) Yo Hoof Hearted (quarter horse)

And then folks in New Mexico started naming horses after people that worked at The Downs at Albuquerque: such as Donthecookster Lizthecookster

and my all time favorite (courtesy of Bill and Trixie Gallaway) and just ran at Sunland in the spring:

Mr. Boomer :D

Boom

Horsefan
07-03-2007, 03:39 PM
Okay watch out The Green Monkey, you might have some competition for the love of The Golden Noodle in the form of Spaghetti Mouse.:)

46zilzal
07-03-2007, 03:55 PM
Okay watch out The Green Monkey, you might have some competition for the love of The Golden Noodle in the form of Spaghetti Mouse.:)
The Mouse just won a grade three Sunday...Not a bad nag owned by an Italian restaurant propriator Nick Felicella.

Zaf
05-15-2008, 09:11 PM
Well the Jockey Club saw it fit to change the name of He's a Putz, but Super Putz just rounded out the Super in the 5th at CT. :lol:

Z

Zaf
05-15-2008, 09:13 PM
I guess I will have to play Silver Knockers at PIM on Saturday, where's Golden Balls when you need him :lol:

Z

jcrabboy
05-15-2008, 09:30 PM
A gelding named Sportinachubby. That's irony.

Jimmie

eastie
05-15-2008, 10:01 PM
Morning Wood and Morning Dilemma were pretty funny.

Believe It , Alydar is Affirmed. Funny -tshirt from the 78 derby.

juanepstein
05-16-2008, 01:03 AM
Theres a horse running in australia named Euthenasia.

Kelso
05-16-2008, 01:55 AM
These are all entertaining names, but what are the coolest horse names?

I always thought Easy Goer and Sunday Silence were cool horse names.

For harness racing, I always liked Red Bow Tie (helped that he won $3 million+)..

Don't know why, but I always enjoy seeing "Igor" on the MTH program. To myself, I always respond "IGOR!!" :jump: Again, don't know why.

Kelso
05-16-2008, 02:01 AM
We have a weanling out of the mare Lucky and Weiss (by Lucky North out of Our Edelweiss)by the stallion Capote's Prospect (by Capote out of Ballerina Princess). The name I want to use is Capote Got Lucky. My wife keeps vetoing it. Any other ideas??Princess Capote

cj's dad
05-16-2008, 02:38 AM
I seem to remember two horses distinctly;

one was Bubble Gum who always seemed to stick to the rail and Cabbage, who at Laurel at 40/1 won by a head.

juanepstein
05-16-2008, 02:40 AM
We have a weanling out of the mare Lucky and Weiss (by Lucky North out of Our Edelweiss)by the stallion Capote's Prospect (by Capote out of Ballerina Princess). The name I want to use is Capote Got Lucky. My wife keeps vetoing it. Any other ideas??

Grusinskaya

greta garbos charachter name in GRAND HOTEL(1932).

she played a ballerina.

Marlin
05-16-2008, 02:41 AM
Princess CapoteAs some one who works with names, please do not combine sire and dam to produce a bland name. Come up with something original that means something to you and only you. Princess Capote is lame.

v j stauffer
05-16-2008, 06:12 AM
Hannibal Lecture (Race caller said that he was eating up the field.)
Closer to home Aamoo (Pronounced Amoooooooooooo) was one of my favorites

Aamoo won the 1st Woodlands Derby. I called the race. Bobby Lester rode the winner. He was named for a race condition. At A Mile Or Over.

v j stauffer
05-16-2008, 06:17 AM
And don't forget those two sophomoric clowns from California, Bob Baffert and Mike Pegram who pushed the naming envelope with:

Isitingood
&
Inexcessivelygood.

Another Pegram classic was Fin Entertainment.

v j stauffer
05-16-2008, 06:25 AM
I called Musta Faredid in Detroit.

There was one named Honor and Offer.

My favorite though has to be Nomecourtney.

Buddy Edwards who trained in South Fla. for many years has a little daughter named Courtney.

Each day after a long day at work Buddy would go home. Courtney would burst out of the house and come running into Buddy's arms.

"Hi daddy, Hi daddy" she would shout. Buddy would greet her with a different made up name each time. One time he'd say "hello Mary". The next "hello Alice"

Each time the little girl would sternly correct her dad by matter of factly saying. " No Me Courtney!"

alhattab
05-16-2008, 08:05 AM
Sometimes you see names and you have to wonder. Lately there is a horse running (in Illinois?) called Popshandsarehot. Years ago at Monmouth I believe there was a horse named Onlycookhalfofit. Who the hell comes up with this.

And Vic the best call of a tough name I've ever heard was at Saratoga a few years ago in a race featuring Caesar Kimmel's filly Flat Fleet Feet. She's leading in the stretch and Durkin flawlessly says "and its Flat Fleet Feet first in the final furlong!"

cj's dad
05-16-2008, 10:22 AM

Isitingood
&
Inexcessivelygood.

Rock Hard Ten

sandpit
05-16-2008, 10:24 AM
Two very cool name to me were:

The Wicked North
Seven Gold Stones

A funny one from 20 years ago or so:
Ibynshytone (sp?). He went gate to wire one day at Churchill, and Battaglia called him everything he could but what it really said. I think Paul McGee trained the horse.

LottaKash
05-16-2008, 10:59 AM
Currently, at the Harness......"IWANNABESEDATED".....:lol:

falconridge
05-16-2008, 01:19 PM
There was a New York-based filly, a decent runner active about thirty years ago, by Never Bend, out of Call Card. Her name: Straight (not to be confused with a Left-Coast runner of the same name who campaigned more recently).

Others:

Splitting Headache, f. (1971), by The Axe, out of Top o’ the Morning

Cut the Talk, f. (1971), by The Axe, out of Hot Gossip

and, of course, the Frank Wright-trained winner of the 1971 Belmont Stakes: Pass Catcher (by All Hands).

(Rough night, Vic? What on earth were you doing posting circa 3:00 in the morning?)

Premier Turf Club
05-16-2008, 02:20 PM
POSSLQ a filly out of Instant Sin (owned by Christiana Stables I think).

POSSLQ was the short-lived IRS acronym for Persons (of the) Opposite Sex Sharing (same) Living Quarters. :)

Yorker
05-16-2008, 02:36 PM
Amongooseamongus took the first at Belmont today. :) :)

TimesTheyRAChangin
05-16-2008, 03:02 PM
Can't help it.
I just love "Deweycheatumnhowe" ,the undefeated two-year-old trotting colt in 2007.
What do you expect from the dark side?
TTRAC

v j stauffer
05-16-2008, 05:21 PM
There was a New York-based filly, a decent runner active about thirty years ago, by Never Bend, out of Call Card. Her name: Straight (not to be confused with a Left-Coast runner of the same name who campaigned more recently).

Others:

Splitting Headache, f. (1971), by The Axe, out of Top o’ the Morning

Cut the Talk, f. (1971), by The Axe, out of Hot Gossip

and, of course, the Frank Wright-trained winner of the 1971 Belmont Stakes: Pass Catcher (by All Hands).

(Rough night, Vic? What on earth were you doing posting circa 3:00 in the morning?)

Played a poker turnament at HP casino that started at 7:15. It's a GOOD thing that I was just laying down at 3:00. Usually I can watch my favorite 8:00pm shows when I play 7:15 tourneys.

Pace Cap'n
05-16-2008, 07:21 PM
Played a poker turnament at HP casino that started at 7:15. It's a GOOD thing that I was just laying down at 3:00. Usually I can watch my favorite 8:00pm shows when I play 7:15 tourneys.

Heard at one of our home games:

"He's so bad when he gets in a tournament he leaves his car running."

rcknhrse
05-16-2008, 07:43 PM
Two blasts from the past that used to run at Rosecroft.
1.FUNNYMANSLASHOUT
2.MONEYBOYRAINBOW

slewis
05-16-2008, 09:04 PM
by Caesar Kimmel, same owner ad Bodacious Tates

I was about to add that one to the list.

Don't know how it made it past the JC.

We submitted "Client Number Nine" the NEXT morning of the scandal and it was taken.

nativenova
05-16-2008, 09:44 PM
Woodbine had some years back

Badmaneday

Blondeinamotel

Herekittykitty

borntoride
05-17-2008, 01:41 AM
Haul Lass

LottaKash
05-23-2008, 12:27 AM
" U Bet Shiraz "............

" FRANKYLUVSMEATBALS ".........

Cangamble
05-23-2008, 07:38 AM
Abolish It

(say it a couple of times fast)

MzDucat
05-23-2008, 11:12 AM
Anyone remember Larry Lederman saying, "They chased her all night but they couldn't get [B]Oliver Klosov[/ :rolleyes: B]".

joanied
05-24-2008, 12:49 PM

Have you named your weanling yet? A colt or filly? How about 'Northern Prospect', 'Prospecting Capote', 'Capote's Luck', 'Capote North'... good luck!!

joanied
05-24-2008, 12:55 PM
Is this :confused: thread for cool names or horrible names...or both?

Cool names: Foolish Pleasure (I am biased)
Some of the names of great ones past: Ridan, Damascus, Jaipur, Buckpasser, Ta Wee, Shuvee, Gallent Bloom, Ruffian....there are so many really great names.
Some of horses not so great: Distant Land, Play on Words, Equal Change, Toasted.

:)

witchdoctor
05-25-2008, 02:28 PM
We named her Coldbludedprincess. She was the fastest horse whenever they ran in the field. Unfortunately, she developed an infection as a yearling and died.

jognlope
05-26-2008, 02:21 PM
Well if I ever have one it's going to be named "Ain'titallamess."

Golf man
05-27-2008, 02:26 AM
FROM THE WEST COAST:

"FREDDIEPUDPUCKER"

juanepstein
05-28-2008, 09:28 PM
GERIHATTRICKS

7th at penn tonight

BCOURTNEY
05-29-2008, 01:03 AM
I remember a horse named Tihsho would ran in Kentucky in the mid 90s; as Harry Caray used to say, spell that one backwards.

Let's not forget the perenial NW2 claimer Knobgobbler who ran at AP and Haw 3-4 years ago.

Holywood Race 7 - Saturday, May 24, 2008 Gobbler's Knob

Lefty
05-29-2008, 01:16 AM
Used to be a horse named Knob Gobbler. Sounds like same person named this one.

cj's dad
05-29-2008, 01:34 AM

In memory of Truman Capote, how about Capotes Soft Shoes

BCOURTNEY
05-29-2008, 01:43 AM
In memory of Truman Capote, how about Capotes Soft Shoes

.. or perhaps Capotes Light Loafers? Lol.

Living Flame
05-29-2008, 12:47 PM
Yep, Nice Assay has to be the one I'll always remember!:lol: I remember the owners trying to come up with a legitimate excuse for that name. ;)

My current favorite is...STUD MUFFIN! I loved Tom Durkin's call: "...then it's Stuuuuuud Muffinnnn..." :D

Slip With Me, and Yes Yes Oh yes are pretty funny too.

Autism Awareness is really nice.

whyhorseofcourse
05-29-2008, 12:52 PM
Currently, at the Harness......"IWANNABESEDATED".....:lol:

Yes!
Thats my favorite harness horse!

joanied
05-29-2008, 01:30 PM
At looking at a post from 'Living Flame' here, I remembered another name I think was really good...a mare we had on the farm in Ocala (by Count Fleet) named

"Free Flame"...we also has a mare that was the very first foal by Needles...her name was 'Seamstress'.

Bad names from the farm's mares.... Dandy DoeDoe, Nutty Doughnut, Halibut:lol:

thespaah
05-29-2008, 06:25 PM

DJofSDso do I..I remeber Marshall Cassidy at NYRA trying to miss pronounce the horse's name. I guess he was trying to "soften it up" a bit..
Other names....Whatta Wabbit......POSSLQ, J.Strap and my all time favorite, Hoof Hearted( Quarter Horse)

thespaah
05-29-2008, 06:54 PM
Here's a few names from the past.......

kissinthedark
dropyourdrawers....won the louisianna super derby years ago
bestestfriend
maryhadalittle
port conwaylane
queen of St mary
rainbow colors
Ahh Port Conway Lane...I read an article about that one back in like 1981 or '82. Made his last start at age 15....Here's an SI article form 1983...http://vault.sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vault/article/magazine/MAG1120510/index.htm
Here's his pedigree.....look at the birth years of his great grand ancestors...
http://www.pedigreequery.com/port+conway+lane

joanied
05-29-2008, 07:28 PM
Ahh Port Conway Lane...I read an article about that one back in like 1981 or '82. Made his last start at age 15....Here's an SI article form 1983...http://vault.sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vault/article/magazine/MAG1120510/index.htm
Here's his pedigree.....look at the birth years of his great grand ancestors...
http://www.pedigreequery.com/port+conway+lane

Holycows:eek: this horse made 242 starts....incredible. Amazing to see those horses in his pedigree only 4 or 5 generations back.
The good old days!!!

joanied
05-29-2008, 07:30 PM
Used to be a horse named Knob Gobbler. Sounds like same person named this one.

I need to look up both those horses...we had a mare in Ocala (years ago) named 'Gobbler's Image'

joanied
05-29-2008, 07:39 PM
I need to look up both those horses...we had a mare in Ocala (years ago) named 'Gobbler's Image'

Neither of the Gobbler horses are related to Gobbler's Image, but amazing as it seems, I found her:

http://www.pedigreequery.com/gobblers+image

I just had some :jump: fun and looked up a bunch of mares and the 2 stallions we had on the Ocala farm...I was amazed that I found almost all of them...it's:faint: been years.
Sure brings back good memories!!!

Swale
05-30-2008, 08:43 AM
Current horse on the Ohio circuit: Anita Xanax.

alhattab
07-01-2008, 10:10 PM
I saw a good one over the weekend:

Palmilla

Don't know if they meant what my sick mind thinks, but after a few beers I couldn't help but wander there.

YokohamaMary
07-02-2008, 12:35 AM
Horse that raced (maybe still races) at Monti in upstate NY:

Life is a Cabernet.

Lot of great drivers names up their too. General Washington ring a bell?

Norm
07-03-2008, 06:06 PM
Back in the days when Fred Capossela was race caller at NYRA tracks, there was a horse named I Found Gold which seemed innocent enough until you heard it pronounced by 'Cappy' with his New York / Italian accent which transformed the name into something marvelously mirthful ! :)

46zilzal
07-03-2008, 06:15 PM
My Painful Lass caught my eye the other day.

motorhead
07-04-2008, 09:53 AM
i believe it was tom durkin that said this was the toughest name to call

"cunning stunt"

joanied
07-05-2008, 10:16 AM
Back in the days when Fred Capossela was race caller at NYRA tracks, there was a horse named I Found Gold which seemed innocent enough until you heard it pronounced by 'Cappy' with his New York / Italian accent which transformed the name into something marvelously mirthful ! :)

Would love to hear that call.... Cappy was the best...and Durkin is the best since.

Boats
07-05-2008, 02:05 PM
A couple from Australia.

A gelding named Stunon - spell it backwards
A horse named Aydee Fic
for the translation see
http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/comments/0,22023,23782819-11088,00.html

ldiatone
07-05-2008, 04:51 PM
i liked the the name a few year ago, fla cir."pens pens pens"(ya read'n skate) and also the horse from Northfield "hey louie" and of course track announcer did his "godfather" voice every call!

rufus999
07-07-2008, 03:19 PM
'Wrecked em'. Ran at Suffolk Downs many years ago.

http://c.imagehost.org/t/0883/wrecked_em.jpg (http://c.imagehost.org/view/0883/wrecked_em.jpg)

joanied
07-07-2008, 04:17 PM

http://c.imagehost.org/t/0883/wrecked_em.jpg (http://c.imagehost.org/view/0883/wrecked_em.jpg)

:eek: :lol: :eek:

Peter Berry
07-07-2008, 07:45 PM
Very hard to beat MARGE GUNDERSON (The Deputy-Mink Hat).

TheGhost
07-07-2008, 11:12 PM
How about FACIAL. Horse was out of CREME DELA CREAM. Just wrong lol.

Peter Berry
07-08-2008, 06:14 PM
Here's another: MOA ANNETTE, a daughter of Van Nistelrooy.

thruncy
07-10-2008, 12:25 AM
Shakabuku (Ran @FG in '80s) Hall Lass (ELP recently) Tonto McShvartz (NJ in the '80s. Made 'em change name, I think) Who's For Dinner--aptly named... (Saw him lose his MDN 1st start run on turf at BEL because he leaned over to bite Hangover Yank turning for home. Became a very good turf runner sans biting habit. Cunning Stunt.

vor99
07-10-2008, 06:03 PM
My two favourites from Australia:

Sex Machine - Sire was Shagny... shag is an Australian euphemism for sex

Far Call - not sure if she ever raced ( I met her breeder, a dear old lady who never really understood why people had a chuckle when she told them the name of her horse.)

Cangamble
07-10-2008, 06:21 PM
Ascot In The Gate (Say it with your eyes closed)

She has a two year old offspring running at Woodbine on Saturday.

Cangamble
07-10-2008, 06:24 PM

Did he come from the rear of the field?

tleusin
07-10-2008, 06:25 PM
Tequila Mockingbird

Smash That Phone (echos my feeling about those awful things)

Chingadero (beaten by Texas Wildcat at Lonestar)

OUSucks- Texas owned and raced in Oklahoma. Was told the announcer would
not say the name only the number.

IBCNU
07-10-2008, 11:42 PM
Won my first bet with a horse named "Fumandacheese".....

IBCNU
07-10-2008, 11:54 PM
Out of Jr. Prospect/Tall and restless.