PDA

View Full Version : Horrible accident at the Big A

PaceAdvantage
11-27-2010, 11:14 PM
Don't see a thread on this anywhere else...horrible spill on the turf today in Aqueduct's 3rd...sent Jose Bermudez to hospital for "general evaluation," but jockey Jason Gracia sounded much more seriously injured suffering what was called "multi-system trauma."

From this most recent article, it seems both jockeys are going to be ok, but Gracia is listed in critical condition with broken ribs and a concussion.

One horse, Ryan and Jack, died after clipping heels, falling, and getting slammed by another horse (October Dreams) as he attempted to get up...October Dreams was reportedly uninjured in the accident.

http://drf.com/news/jockey-critical-after-aqueduct-spill

Jasonm921
11-27-2010, 11:43 PM
Yeah....lets hope for the best and a speedy recovery. What worried me is that the NY Daily News had this on their web home page and Yahoo was linking to it on their home page as well which I didn't think was a good sign.

nijinski
11-28-2010, 12:01 AM
Saw a quick replay on the news ,awful accident . I'm hoping both Jocks fully
recover.
RIP Ryan and Jack ,the horse suffered a fractured skull.

Jason Gracia who was brought to Intensive Care is a double bug Jockey from
what I can gather. Earlier reports were that his horse D an R clipped heals
with another causing him to go down , but that was not verified.
Bermudes horse was last on the turn and literally plowed into the fallen opponent . First time I have ever seen that happen with the trailing horse.

Jasonm921
11-28-2010, 12:03 AM
Gracia rode in Monmouth this past summer.

Shelby
11-28-2010, 01:26 PM
I saw it happen yesterday. It was awful. I didn't know the outcome, so I didn't post anything here.

I can't believe the other jockey wasn't hurt worse.

All I saw was two horses and two jockeys sprawled out on the track. :(:(:(

garyoz
11-28-2010, 02:20 PM
Gracia upgraded to stable from critical per a DRF tweet. Bermudez released from the hospital.

Stevie Belmont
11-30-2010, 01:25 PM
The knuckleheads at NY The Daily News needed four reporters to cover a break down, and put Aqueduct Disaster on the front page in the lower right hand corner on Sunday's paper, yet not a word about the Cigar Mile on either the front or back page.

Only breakdowns are news worthy to them.

I said it once, I'll say it again. If the NY Daily News can only cover negative racing stories, it's time for them to drop coverage of racing all together.

The NY Post had it where it belonged. In their THROUGH THE BINOCS section.

Yeah....lets hope for the best and a speedy recovery. What worried me is that the NY Daily News had this on their web home page and Yahoo was linking to it on their home page as well which I didn't think was a good sign.

Cardus
11-30-2010, 01:46 PM
The knuckleheads at NY The Daily News needed four reporters to cover a break down, and put Aqueduct Disaster on the front page in the lower right hand corner on Sunday's paper, yet not a word about the Cigar Mile on either the front or back page.

Only breakdowns are news worthy to them.

I said it once, I'll say it again. If the NY Daily News can only cover negative racing stories, it's time for them to drop coverage of racing all together.

They are newsworthy items, for one, because they are rare. If they happened routinely, they wouldn't be "newsworthy" in the truest sense of the word.

What about the Cigar Mile belonged on the back page? (For those unfamiliar with this paper, the back page is where sports coverage begins.)

It's not a newspaper's job to be a racing cheerleader. (Leave that for the bloggers.) The Daily News covers the biggest racing events, as you know, so it does not cover only "negative stories."

Stevie Belmont
11-30-2010, 02:07 PM
They are not nearly as rare as you say they are. This sport has seen these horrible incidents over the years. It's the part of the game that everyone has to live with, especially the jockeys who get up on the horses everyday and risk their lives doing it. We know what happens, it's a horrible thing. It's very upsetting to watch when these things happen. They are stomach churning, and any horseman or woman will tell you that, as well as a common racing fans.

They go put it on the front cover so all the racing no-nothings can attack, attack, and attack some more. Yea that is great for the sport. Do you know how many news items that were more worthy to go up there instead? Too many. And ones we will never hear about either.

Last I heard The Cigar Mile is a SPORTING EVENT as well.

The Cigar Mile will never, ever make it on any back page period. I don't even recall when Wanderin Boy had his horrific breakdown it being on the front cover of the Daily News either.

Why was the breakdown not on the back page?

They are newsworthy items, for one, because they are rare. If they happened routinely, they wouldn't be "newsworthy" in the truest sense of the word.

What about the Cigar Mile belonged on the back page? (For those unfamiliar with this paper, the back page is where sports coverage begins.)

It's not a newspaper's job to be a racing cheerleader. (Leave that for the bloggers.) The Daily News covers the biggest racing events, as you know, so it does not cover only "negative stories."

OTM Al
11-30-2010, 02:07 PM

Then we would have to buy the Post. I don't want it even when it's free. And honestly I don't think their writers are all that great either.

Cardus
11-30-2010, 04:25 PM
They are not nearly as rare as you say they are. This sport has seen these horrible incidents over the years. It's the part of the game that everyone has to live with, especially the jockeys who get up on the horses everyday and risk their lives doing it. We know what happens, it's a horrible thing. It's very upsetting to watch when these things happen. They are stomach churning, and any horseman or woman will tell you that, as well as a common racing fans.

They go put it on the front cover so all the racing no-nothings can attack, attack, and attack some more. Yea that is great for the sport. Do you know how many news items that were more worthy to go up there instead? Too many. And ones we will never hear about either.

Last I heard The Cigar Mile is a SPORTING EVENT as well.

The Cigar Mile will never, ever make it on any back page period. I don't even recall when Wanderin Boy had his horrific breakdown it being on the front cover of the Daily News either.

Why was the breakdown not on the back page?

If breakdowns were common, they would not be "news." That is one reason why it is covered. This particular incident was more sensational than usual, which is why it received added attention. (I am not defending the News on this issue, for I oppose sensationalizing for sensationalizing's sake.) You'd have to have evidence to support that it was placed in the front page banner box so that "no-nothings can attack" racing.

And again: it is not a newspaper's role to do what is "great for the sport." Cheerleading is for bloggers.

Stevie Belmont
11-30-2010, 05:40 PM
I don't think it belonged on the front page that's all there is to it.

What about when Go Go Shoot went down on Turkey Day? It looked bad, but it was nothing more than a stumble. He popped back up and was fine, so was JV. And that could have been a really bad one. Thankfully on Thanksgiving it was not.

How about a "Miracle At The Big A On Turkey Day" on the front page of Daily News?

Fat chance.

Jasonm921
11-30-2010, 05:41 PM
I agree with Stevie. This got a little bit extra attention and the article was not even in the sports section. I had a personal beef with this article because the Daily News STOLE my photo of Jason Gracia and used it in their article. I confronted them on it and they apologized but never the less they did it.

Cardus
11-30-2010, 06:14 PM
I don't think it belonged on the front page that's all there is to it.

What about when Go Go Shoot went down on Turkey Day? It looked bad, but it was nothing more than a stumble. He popped back up and was fine, so was JV. And that could have been a really bad one. Thankfully on Thanksgiving it was not.

How about a "Miracle At The Big A On Turkey Day" on the front page of Daily News?

Fat chance.

I agree and stated that I disapproved of the News' sensationalization of it.

However, you had a lot of opinions on the matter, some of which I disagreed.

Cardus
11-30-2010, 06:16 PM
I agree with Stevie. This got a little bit extra attention and the article was not even in the sports section. I had a personal beef with this article because the Daily News STOLE my photo of Jason Gracia and used it in their article. I confronted them on it and they apologized but never the less they did it.

How did the paper steal your photo?

toetoe
11-30-2010, 06:17 PM
Then we would have to buy the Post. I don't want it even when it's free. And honestly I don't think their writers are all that great either.

Confession: I sometimes pay two dollars --- two dollars !!! --- for the NYP, and mainly for the cryptic crossword. How sad ... I know. :( .

Jasonm921
11-30-2010, 10:35 PM
They pulled it off my flickr site. Apparently not too many people have photos of him.

bigmack
11-30-2010, 10:51 PM
They pulled it off my flickr site. Apparently not too many people have photos of him.
Did they credit you?

Jasonm921
11-30-2010, 11:02 PM
Nope. And they cut out my name that I put on my photos.