PDA

View Full Version : “He’s too much of a freak for me,” Talamo said. “He can bench 270"

andymays
11-27-2010, 09:19 AM
http://www.drf.com/news/talamos-work-ethic-matches-his-appetite

Excerpt:

“He’s too much of a freak for me,” Talamo said. “He can bench 270. I’m more in the 160, 170 range. But working out a lot has helped me. I can definitely feel it down the lane, and just feeling good in general. I think horse racing’s more of a mental game than physical anyway, with all the ups and downs, and if your body’s good your mind will follow.”

As for dietary secrets, don’t bother asking Joe.

“I’m a ‘see-food’ eater – whatever I see I eat,” Talamo said. “But I’m only 20, so my metabolism is high, I know that . And I do eat in moderation, but I can have three, four meals a day and not worry about weight.”

Charli125
11-27-2010, 11:40 AM
I wrestled from the time I was 10 till I was 22, and I have the utmost respect for the losing weight aspect of the game. To keep your weight down at that level is an incredible feat for all but the naturally skinnniest of jockeys.

It almost makes me feel bad when I'm at the track eating a plate of nachos and drinking a beer!

andymays
11-27-2010, 11:50 AM
I wrestled from the time I was 10 till I was 22, and I have the utmost respect for the losing weight aspect of the game. To keep your weight down at that level is an incredible feat for all but the naturally skinnniest of jockeys.

It almost makes me feel bad when I'm at the track eating a plate of nachos and drinking a beer!

Part of the article says that sometimes he eats a sandwich when he goes into the sweatbox.

Charli125
11-27-2010, 11:55 AM
Part of the article says that sometimes he eats a sandwich when he goes into the sweatbox.

Yeah, he's just a freak of nature.

Pace Cap'n
11-27-2010, 08:05 PM
It's Mike Smith can do the 270.

Stillriledup
02-02-2011, 10:49 PM
It's Mike Smith can do the 270.

Thats awesome for a guy who weighs less than 120.

The Bit
02-02-2011, 10:56 PM
I wonder how many of these guys go onto have stomach problems later in life. One of my best friends was a very good high school and college wrestler. He was always struggling to make weight. Well, now that we are nearing our 30's, he has stomach problems from what doctors summise is all the years of malnutrition and "alternative" techniques. Atleast 50% of the time that we go out for a burger or some wings, he ends up throwing up outside the place or in the parking lot. This is normal now. He doesn't feel ill in anyway, just throws his meal up.

Charli125
02-02-2011, 11:06 PM
I wonder how many of these guys go onto have stomach problems later in life. One of my best friends was a very good high school and college wrestler. He was always struggling to make weight. Well, now that we are nearing our 30's, he has stomach problems from what doctors summise is all the years of malnutrition and "alternative" techniques. Atleast 50% of the time that we go out for a burger or some wings, he ends up throwing up outside the place or in the parking lot. This is normal now. He doesn't feel ill in anyway, just throws his meal up.

I'm the exact same way. I can't eat anything with seasoning without feeling sick, and I have IBS, Heartburn, etc. It's not a good thing for your digestive system, that's for sure.

The Bit
02-02-2011, 11:09 PM
You guys that wrestle are serious. The stuff I saw him do to make weight was unreal. Unfortunately you seem to pay for it later.