PDA

View Full Version : Who would have thought?

Dave Schwartz
11-27-2010, 01:53 AM
UNR 34, Boise St 31!

JustRalph
11-27-2010, 02:01 AM
I guess Dr Gee was right

MrBaseball
11-27-2010, 02:36 AM
Think he'll keep his scholarship?? Better yet, will he be allowed to stay in school?? How much $$$ did his 2 miscues cost the athletic department? From possible National Title Game or Rose Bowl appearance....mucho dinero !!!

Now.......a trip to the Vegas Bowl in mid-Dec.!!! :lol:

Do they drop out of the top ten........for sure!! :blush:

Mr Baseball

RXB
11-27-2010, 03:39 AM
Brotzman is a senior so the schollie issue doesn't really apply.

Except for the screen pass that went for a long TD and the Hail Mary that set up the first missed chippy, Nevada utterly dominated Boise St in the second half. Boise's defence was dead tired in the 4th quarter. Nevada has played Boise St very tough four years in a row, getting off to a very poor start in each of those games before rallying, and finally it was their turn. Good job, Wolfpack!

JustRalph
11-27-2010, 05:24 AM
http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=5854411

Highlights

rastajenk
11-27-2010, 09:21 AM
I heard a guy on the radio this morning say the refs will get a good talking-to, as their homerism cost the league $17 million. I didn't stay up and watch it, so I can't address that aspect of it, except to say, that's a big chunk.

And another analyst was saying that the second-place WAC bowl commitment was the Kraft MacNCheese Bowl against some ACC bottom-feeder; big dropoff from where they were headed. Oh, how the supposed mighty have fallen. :eek:

Dave Schwartz
11-27-2010, 12:16 PM
I heard a guy on the radio this morning say the refs will get a good talking-to, as their homerism cost the league $17 million. I didn't stay up and watch it, so I can't address that aspect of it, except to say, that's a big chunk.

That would be odd as UNR got the worst of three calls that cost them 2 possessions and a first down.

Marshall Bennett
11-27-2010, 12:20 PM
I heard in post game interviews both the coach and q-back seemed to try and take pressure off the kickers back by saying their team had squandered multiple opportunities throughout game. I'd say this is true with most teams that lose.
When your kicker misses two chip shots at the game's end and lose I find it hard to look elsewhere. That was horrible and shouldn't have happened.
On the other hand I feel Boise St. was overrated anyway, so perhaps it should have happened. :)

Dave Schwartz
11-27-2010, 01:05 PM
I truly feel for that kicker. I guess his story is that he was a freshman walk-on that set school records. What a terrible legacy for him to carry through life. It seriously could change the future path of his life.

Zippy Chippy
11-27-2010, 06:01 PM
I truly feel for that kicker. I guess his story is that he was a freshman walk-on that set school records. What a terrible legacy for him to carry through life. It seriously could change the future path of his life.

This game will rank in my top 10 games of all time. I hate hate hate Boise St. I can't stand Auburn but had to root for them yesterday because the thought of Boise playing in the Nat'l Championship would drive me nutty.

canleakid
11-27-2010, 10:10 PM
boise so glad your gone and please stay gone!!!!!!! :lol:

PhantomOnTour
11-27-2010, 10:17 PM
Anyone see the irony in the ad at the bottom of this page? It's a black Friday sale on BSU shirts.
:lol:

Valuist
11-30-2010, 01:04 PM
I guess Dr Gee was right

But he has no business opening his big mouth. I don't believe he is a professional football handicapper or linemaker so he shouldn't talk about something that is completely unqualified to do.

If he had any intelligence at all, he'd realize there's more money to be made with a playoff.

rastajenk
11-30-2010, 02:06 PM
I don't think that's the intelligent take at all, although I agree with you that he was going somewhere that he shouldn't have been going.

If the voters had any sense of irony, they'd put the Buckeyes up over Wisconsin so that they could meet TCU in the Rosie Bowl and settle it on the field. ;)

Valuist
11-30-2010, 03:48 PM
The ONLY intelligent solution is to have a playoff and get rid of the good ole' boys club circle jerk between the SEC, Big Ten, Big 12 and the other major conferences. If you are good enough, prove it on the field.

And to insult everyone's intelligence by saying its too much for "student athletes" is ridiculous. They don't say that about Div 2 football....they don't say that about the NCAA basketball tournament or any of the other sports Since a football tourney could be played in the period encompassed by winter break, its a laughable argument.

JustRalph
11-30-2010, 06:02 PM
Let's face it. Gordon Gee ain't exactly Vince Lombardi....... :lol:

but he got that one right.........

dav4463
11-30-2010, 10:30 PM
Boise lost one game to a good team. Last year they beat both Oregon (current number one) and TCU. They have been successful every season for the past few years.

It's ONE GAME! Nevada is no slouch. I don't understand those who now say that Boise didn't belong. They are still just as good as any other one loss team out there. Boise, Nevada and TCU would win the Big 12 this year!

Give them some credit. Boise State is one heck of a football program. They win year after year.

Valuist
11-30-2010, 11:19 PM
Another thing about the idiot Ohio State president. Boise is TRYING to play schools like Ohio State but schools like that won't play Boise. They fear a home and home because their percentage of the gate won't be as big as playing a garbage can at home, and NOBODY beats Boise on their home blue turf.

Just have the playoff. And if the Texases, Ohio States and USC prevail, then fine. At least it would be settled on the field; not due to a computer.

slew101
11-30-2010, 11:55 PM
Boise did everything possible wrong in that second half. Getting shutout is almost unthinkable with the way they moved the ball in the first half. First drive of the second half, Boise had two drops from their WRs, one for a walk-in TD that would have made it 31-7.

I really think if they played at Nevada 9 more times, they'd win 9 times. They can play with anyone. If you watch their line play, they are huge and just as big as the top schools.

Boise lost one game to a good team. Last year they beat both Oregon (current number one) and TCU. They have been successful every season for the past few years.

It's ONE GAME! Nevada is no slouch. I don't understand those who now say that Boise didn't belong. They are still just as good as any other one loss team out there. Boise, Nevada and TCU would win the Big 12 this year!

Give them some credit. Boise State is one heck of a football program. They win year after year.

dav4463
12-01-2010, 11:32 PM
It's true. Boise wants to play big schools, but other teams are afraid to play them or would rather go for bigger paydays.

TCU solved their problem by moving to the Big East. I guess Boise needs to find a way to get in a BCS conference.

cj
12-01-2010, 11:40 PM
It's true. Boise wants to play big schools, but other teams are afraid to play them or would rather go for bigger paydays.

TCU solved their problem by moving to the Big East. I guess Boise needs to find a way to get in a BCS conference.

Not really sure what they solved. If they were in the Big East this year, they'd still be 3rd.

Valuist
12-02-2010, 12:18 AM
That's true. Sagarin had West Virginia as the top team in the Big East, at a very unimpressive # 30 ranking.

JustRalph
12-02-2010, 12:26 PM
Dr. Gee comes clean :lol:

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=5874511

"Ohio State president E. Gordon Gee says in the future, he will stick to running the university and leave comments about college football to the experts.

"What do I know about college football? I look like Orville Redenbacher. I have no business talking about college football," he said Wednesday, according to The Columbus Dispatch.

More than a week ago, Gee said teams in the major conferences such as the Big Ten and SEC are more deserving to play for the BCS national championship because they play tougher competition every week. "We do not play the Little Sisters of the Poor," he said."

http://www.thebuckeyebattlecry.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/11/E.-Gordon-Gee.jpg

schweitz
12-02-2010, 01:53 PM
Not really sure what they solved. If they were in the Big East this year, they'd still be 3rd.

If Boise had not lost to Nevada and Boise jumped TCU in the BCS standings there was a very good chance that TCU would not have been in a BCS bowl game this year because the BCS does not have to let more than one non-BCS school into the BCS bowls. If TCU wins the Big East they would definitely get a BCS Bowl. That is just one of the advantages to TCU's move to the Big East.

cj's dad
12-02-2010, 02:03 PM
TCU wanting to be admitted to the Big East and the Big East allowing the move proves that major colleges and programs are little more than street whores.

Then again many have long awaited a match up between UConn and TCU.

Stoors CT. is close enough; I'm in !!!

schweitz
12-02-2010, 02:53 PM
TCU wanting to be admitted to the Big East and the Big East allowing the move proves that major colleges and programs are little more than street whores.

Then again many have long awaited a match up between UConn and TCU.

Stoors CT. is close enough; I'm in !!!

The Big East didn't just allow the move---they courted TCU. Another perceived benefit for TCU is that if in the future there is going to be 4 super conferences
(as speculated by many) it will be easier for TCU to get into one of these super conferences if they are in a BCS conference.

TCU will do well in the Big East with football and baseball, but its going to be pretty ugly with basketball.

cj's dad
12-02-2010, 03:01 PM
The Big East didn't just allow the move---they courted TCU. Another perceived benefit for TCU is that if in the future there is going to be 4 super conferences
(as speculated by many) it will be easier for TCU to get into one of these super conferences if they are in a BCS conference.

TCU will do well in the Big East with football and baseball, but its going to be pretty ugly with basketball.

I understand fully why it was done. TCU gets it's chance to play in the big game and the Big East conf. gets a school with football cred. I think you're missing my point. I would wager that one of the original intents of naming conferences was to reflect geographical locale; PAC/ACC/
SEC etc... Conference by location also cut down travel expenses. Of course this was when much travel by teams was not done by plane nor was it necessary to do so. Now I realize that traveling from Texas to the East Coast is not exactly a long, torturous trip.

My point is that there is no rivalry between TCU and their future conf. members; NONE !!

schweitz
12-02-2010, 03:11 PM
My point is that there is no rivalry between TCU and their future conf. members; NONE !!

Yeah, I agree but it is whats happening in many conferences and there will be more moving and shifting. I understand that the Big East is looking to add at least 3 more football schools.
As for the travel (at least from TCU's point of view) it's no different from what they are already doing---just changing the direction from west to east.

cj
12-02-2010, 04:39 PM
The travel issue really isn't that much of a change from what they were already doing in the Mountain West, just in the opposite direction.