PDA

View Full Version : Mail Service in Dissarray???

newtothegame
11-27-2010, 12:34 AM
Say it isn't so joe........lol.
A new Post Master...
Will it help??? Highly doubt it myself.

Incoming Postmaster General Taking Over Mail Service in Disarray

Published November 26, 2010

| FoxNews.com

Neither snow nor rain will stop the Postal Service (http://www.foxnews.com/topics/postal-service.htm#r_src=ramp), but fiscal woes ... that's another matter.

A new postmaster general is preparing to take the reins next week at an organization beset by staggering financial losses, union disagreements and an ongoing battle over how to fix itself with regulators and lawmakers.

The change in command comes at a critical time for America's mail service. Outgoing Postmaster General John Potter has warned that the service faces hundreds of billions of dollars in losses over the next 10 years unless big changes are made. When Patrick Donahoe, a postal insider who currently serves as Potter's deputy and chief operating officer, takes over upon Potter's Dec. 3 retirement. He will face an American institution heading toward disarray.

"Pat will have the same problems that Jack has," said William Burrus, former president of the American Postal Workers Union, praising the headway Potter made while hoping for serious reforms in the years ahead.
http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2010/11/24/incoming-postmaster-general-taking-mail-service-disarray/?test=latestnews

prospector
11-27-2010, 09:58 AM
last week my netflix dvd went to my neighbor
two weeks ago my medicine from the VA was delivered 3 blocks away..

i have big numbers on my house
i have big numbers on my mailbox
i have my address on my mail

i have an idiot for a mailman.....

Tom
11-27-2010, 10:42 AM
Do we really need an incompetent, money pit of a post office anymore?
Private companies do it so much better. and make money.

mostpost
11-27-2010, 11:48 AM
Do we really need an incompetent, money pit of a post office anymore?
Private companies do it so much better. and make money.
Here we go again. UPS and FedEx deliver packages. UPS delivers 5.5 billion pieces a year. FedEx delives 2.2 billion pieces a year. USPS delivers 177 billion pieces a year. USPS delivers 584 million pieces every day. Put another way USPS delivers as much mail in thirteen days as UPS and FedEx combined deliver in an entire year.

USPS delivers mail six days a week and Express Mail 7 days a week and and 365 days a year. UPS and FedEx do not deliver on weekends, do not deliver Express Mail on Sundays and only deliver Express Mail on saturdays at a high premium.

USPS delivers mail, for the same cost, to every address in all of the fifty seven....I mean fifty...states. UPS and FedEx do not deliver letter mail at all and do not deliver parcels to many areas, just to the ones that are profitable.

When UPS and FedEx do the same things that USPS does, then, maybe, you
can talk to me about how wonderful they are. The fact is they could not do it, they will not do it, they do not want to do it. Not on the same terms as USPS does.

GameTheory
11-27-2010, 11:53 AM
can talk to me about how wonderful they are. The fact is they could not do it, they will not do it, they do not want to do it. Not on the same terms as USPS does.Uhh.... because they are barred by law from doing so. Kinda the point. And of course the terms would be different. Also the point. The post office lives by artificial and arbitrary rules.

Greyfox
11-27-2010, 11:56 AM
USPS delivers mail six days a week and Express Mail 7 days a week and and 365 days a year.

In this day and age of e-mails and fax machines, is it really necessary to have mail delivered 6 days a week??
If I were Post Master General, I'd cut service to 5 days per week for starters.
No weekend service.

Tom
11-27-2010, 11:58 AM
USPS delivers mail six days a week and Express Mail 7 days a week and and 365 days a year.

A lot of it to the right addresses and undamaged. :ThmbUp:

mostpost
11-27-2010, 12:07 PM
last week my netflix dvd went to my neighbor
two weeks ago my medicine from the VA was delivered 3 blocks away..

i have big numbers on my house
i have big numbers on my mailbox
i have my address on my mail

i have an idiot for a mailman.....
In my entire life I don't remember more than a handful of times when I received someone else's mail or when my mail was delivered to someone else.
The accuracy of mail delivery is well over 99%. Do you think UPS and FedEX never misdeliver. Human beings work for all these organizations.

PhantomOnTour
11-27-2010, 12:10 PM
My humble two cents is that if Mosty was of a different political persuasion these post office threads wouldn't even exist.
We all know it...

Dave Schwartz
11-27-2010, 12:20 PM
Remember Jimmy Walker, the comedian? He used to tell a joke about the post office that fits right in here.

He said that now that drug testing had be instituted at the post office, they would certainly find drugs. But there was one drug they would never find: speed! :lol:

redshift1
11-27-2010, 12:23 PM
USPS delivers mail, for the same cost, to every address in all of the fifty seven....I mean fifty...states. UPS and FedEx do not deliver letter mail at all and do not deliver parcels to many areas, just to the ones that are profitable.

Wrong UPS delivers parcels to almost all U.S. address except APO"s, FPO"s and some PO's AND USPS parcel delivery is subsidized by more profitable USPS services.

UPS actually makes money delivering parcels, the Post Office loses money on Its parcel delivery operation.

GaryG
11-27-2010, 12:38 PM
The USPS bottom line would be better if the mail carriers were not overpaid union members working for the fed govt. Perhaps if they were paid in relation to their actual value, the way that salaries are determined in private industry.

mostpost
11-27-2010, 12:45 PM
Say it isn't so joe........lol.
A new Post Master...
Will it help??? Highly doubt it myself.

Incoming Postmaster General Taking Over Mail Service in Disarray

Published November 26, 2010

| FoxNews.com

Neither snow nor rain will stop the Postal Service (http://www.foxnews.com/topics/postal-service.htm#r_src=ramp), but fiscal woes ... that's another matter.

A new postmaster general is preparing to take the reins next week at an organization beset by staggering financial losses, union disagreements and an ongoing battle over how to fix itself with regulators and lawmakers.

The change in command comes at a critical time for America's mail service. Outgoing Postmaster General John Potter has warned that the service faces hundreds of billions of dollars in losses over the next 10 years unless big changes are made. When Patrick Donahoe, a postal insider who currently serves as Potter's deputy and chief operating officer, takes over upon Potter's Dec. 3 retirement. He will face an American institution heading toward disarray.

"Pat will have the same problems that Jack has," said William Burrus, former president of the American Postal Workers Union, praising the headway Potter made while hoping for serious reforms in the years ahead.
http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2010/11/24/incoming-postmaster-general-taking-mail-service-disarray/?test=latestnews
A new Postmaster General is not going to help. It's just a new guy doing the same old things. The policies have to change, not just the people. Everyone needs to contribute. First the Congress has to fix the policy under which USPS has overfunded its pension plan by over $75B. On average the plan is overfunded by $7B every year. The postal deficit this year was $8.5B.
Details can be fund here:
http://www.postalreporternews.net/2010/06/23/usps-oig-fixing-csrs-overpayment-and-pre-funding-requirements-would-fully-fund-pension-and-retiree-health-benefits/

Second, Postal Management needs to revisit its discounting system. USPS offers discounts to mailers who presort their mail. It does this because having the mailers presort their mail saves USPS money. The problem is that the discounts USPS gives are greater than the savings it achieves. This makes no sense, but Postal Mangement is afraid to change them for fear of losing customers.

Third, Postal Unions need to reconsider their stance on Saturday delivery. Greyfox mentioned E-mail and Faxes, and he is absolutely correct. Not only is Saturday delivery not required for businesses, but the use of personal e-mail has virtually eliminated the use of personal letters. Perhaps a compromise could be wrked out in which regular home delivery on Saturdays is eliminated, but Express Mail is still delivered seven days a week. Perhaps businesses could opt to get Saturday delivery by paying an annual fee.

One should not get the impression that eliminating Saturday delivery would mean that your area post office would be shut down over the weekend. There would still be window services. There would still be Express Mail delivery and pickups from collection boxes. And there would be clerks working and sorting mail; although the crews would be smaller.

mostpost
11-27-2010, 12:51 PM

Wrong UPS delivers parcels to almost all U.S. address except APO"s, FPO"s and some PO's AND USPS parcel delivery is subsidized by more profitable USPS services.

UPS actually makes money delivering parcels, the Post Office loses money on Its parcel delivery operation.
They deliver parcels to most addresses, but would they be able to deliver letters to every address, every day and make a profit doing so. They may be willing to deliver to every address, but how often are they required to do so.
Six miilion parcels a day. Would that even cover every address in the state of New York?

Greyfox
11-27-2010, 12:52 PM
:ThmbUp: :ThmbUp: You've got some good ideas there Mosty. Credit where credit is due.

By the way I bought a stamp the other day and said to the clerk:
"Should I stick it on myself."

The clerk replied: "It'll get there faster if you stick it on the envelope." :D

redshift1
11-27-2010, 12:59 PM
The USPS bottom line would be better if the mail carriers were not overpaid union members working for the fed govt. Perhaps if they were paid in relation to their actual value, the way that salaries are determined in private industry.

Sounds like an austerity tinged generalization based on ideology. Have you actually compared salaries between the federal and private sectors in the delivery industries.

redshift1
11-27-2010, 01:03 PM
They deliver parcels to most addresses, but would they be able to deliver letters to every address, every day and make a profit doing so. They may be willing to deliver to every address, but how often are they required to do so.
Six miilion parcels a day. Would that even cover every address in the state of New York?

Are we not discussing parcels here ?????

boxcar
11-27-2010, 01:09 PM
Here we go again. UPS and FedEx deliver packages. UPS delivers 5.5 billion pieces a year. FedEx delives 2.2 billion pieces a year. USPS delivers 177 billion pieces a year. USPS delivers 584 million pieces every day. Put another way USPS delivers as much mail in thirteen days as UPS and FedEx combined deliver in an entire year.

USPS delivers mail six days a week and Express Mail 7 days a week and and 365 days a year. UPS and FedEx do not deliver on weekends, do not deliver Express Mail on Sundays and only deliver Express Mail on saturdays at a high premium.

can talk to me about how wonderful they are. The fact is they could not do it, they will not do it, they do not want to do it. Not on the same terms as USPS does.

Mosty, oh Mosty....KNOCK, KNOCK...anyone home? Are there any lights in your attic? (Well...with you, I'd settle for a mere candle :lol: :lol: )

Mosty, your logic is twisted worse than a pretzel, as usual. The fact that the private services have proven that they have preformed well with what "little" they do well speaks well of them and suggests that they indeed might be ready assume additional responsibilities just as superbly. Therefore, they deserve serious consideration.

Conversely, the USPS...well....they ain't what they used to be. It's sad to see an old institution dying. But truly...I think they might be as ripe for extinction as unions are. :lol: :lol:

I borrow my logic, incidentally, from my Master, whose logic, of course, is impeccable and beyond questioning or any shadow of a doubt. In a Kingdom of Heaven parable of the Nobleman and the Minas (Lk 19:11-27), the Nobleman gave his ten slaves one mina each and commanded them to do business with their minas until he returned. After a long period, the Nobleman returned and ordered that the ten slaves be brought to him to give an accounting of the business they had conducted in his absence. The first slave presented ten minas to his Master, and this pleased him. He praised the slave for the good job he did and told him that because he had been faithful in a very little thing, that he is being rewarded the authority over ten cities.

Then the second slave was brought to him and presented to his Master five minas. Again, the Nobleman expressed his pleasure with the slave for a job well done and told him that because he had been faithful in a very little thing that he would rewarded authority over five cities.

Then a third slave was brought before the Nobleman and the all the slave could offer up to his Master was a lame excuse for failure. He told his Master that he knew what an exacting man he was and that he was afraid of him because he knew that his Master took up what he did not lay down and reaped that which he did not sow. But the Master asked him why, then, since he knew these things that at the very least he did not put the mina in a bank, so that upon his return he would collect the interest on his money? The slave's unfaithfulness, therefore, angered the Nobleman and he commanded the bystanders to take the mina away from the slave and to give it to the one who had earned 10. The bystanders, being somewhat surprised at this command, reminded the Nobleman that that slave had already been rewarded; but the Master justified his actions by saying that to everyone who has, more shall be given; and to those who do not have, even what they have, that shall be taken away from them!

So many things to be learned from this parable, one barely knows where to begin. But one thing is crystal clear: Jesus did not believe in rewarding or even in perpetuating failure; but was big on rewarding success! Only liberals believe in rewarding and perpetuating failure.

Boxcar

mostpost
11-27-2010, 01:27 PM
SOS. That is not meant as the universal distress call.
I have copied below your profile as it is relevant to my reply.
Birthday:
September 20th, 1942
Biography:
Full time player for many years in So Cal
Interests:
hiking in the mountains
writer

You are a writer. I'm not sure what that means. Are you a fiction writer? Do you write technical manuals for appliances. Do you write fact based articles for magazines. Do you write for a political blog such as Hot Air or the Blaze? No, wait, that would go under fiction.
Regardless, the fact that you are a writer indicates that you do not and have not worked in a union environment. I have worked in both union and non union shops. I can tell you that there are differences in how people work and there are those who will do less and those who will do more. I can also tell you that those differences are not based on whether a person belongs to a union.

You have zero experience with the job of letter carrier. You have an opinion based on an irrational hatred of unions. Go out and spend six months delivering mail in a Chicago winter or a Louisana summer then come back here and tell me how overpaid carriers are. Until then STFU.

johnhannibalsmith
11-27-2010, 02:00 PM
How the hell can Mositeposites call himself a true liberal when NONE of his solutions to fixing the deficits at USPS involved TAKING MORE MONEY FROM US!!!

:)

ArlJim78
11-27-2010, 02:04 PM
Its a glorified paper route with great pay and bennies, of course they're overpaid relative to what the same work would fetch in the private sector.

boxcar
11-27-2010, 02:08 PM
SOS. That is not meant as the universal distress call.
I have copied below your profile as it is relevant to my reply.

You are a writer. I'm not sure what that means. Are you a fiction writer? Do you write technical manuals for appliances. Do you write fact based articles for magazines. Do you write for a political blog such as Hot Air or the Blaze? No, wait, that would go under fiction.
Regardless, the fact that you are a writer indicates that you do not and have not worked in a union environment. I have worked in both union and non union shops. I can tell you that there are differences in how people work and there are those who will do less and those who will do more. I can also tell you that those differences are not based on whether a person belongs to a union.

You have zero experience with the job of letter carrier. You have an opinion based on an irrational hatred of unions. Go out and spend six months delivering mail in a Chicago winter or a Louisana summer then come back here and tell me how overpaid carriers are. Until then STFU.

:( :( :( :( :( My heart aches for those poor letter carriers (especially those who would never think of walking to a mailbox :rolleyes: ) who have to work under such adverse conditions that would be pretty similar to a bag boy's at a supermarket when he has to go outside in all kinds of weather to manually retrieve shopping carts that are scattered all over a large lot so that customers can shop. I venture to say that down here in my part of Americana, a bagger would probably earn on average about $8. /hr -- most of them, I have to think would be part-timers. So, since their work is more or less comparable to the physical demands of a letter carrier, how would $13. per her sound for a newbie full time letter carrier, sound? Plus he gets all those f/t benefits, right? Don't forget: P/T baggers don't get much in the way of bennies. And don't forget...in retail, people do not get to sit down very much.

Sounds fair to me. Whaddya say, Mosty?

Boxcar

mostpost
11-27-2010, 02:58 PM
I borrow my logic, incidentally, from my Master, whose logic, of course, is impeccable
My Bad!!! I thought you were talking about Rush. :rolleyes:

mostpost
11-27-2010, 03:10 PM
:( :( :( :( :( My heart aches for those poor letter carriers (especially those who would never think of walking to a mailbox :rolleyes: ) who have to work under such adverse conditions that would be pretty similar to a bag boy's at a supermarket when he has to go outside in all kinds of weather to manually retrieve shopping carts that are scattered all over a large lot so that customers can shop. I venture to say that down here in my part of Americana, a bagger would probably earn on average about $8. /hr -- most of them, I have to think would be part-timers. So, since their work is more or less comparable to the physical demands of a letter carrier, how would $13. per her sound for a newbie full time letter carrier, sound? Plus he gets all those f/t benefits, right? Don't forget: P/T baggers don't get much in the way of bennies. And don't forget...in retail, people do not get to sit down very much.

Sounds fair to me. Whaddya say, Mosty?

Boxcar
A carrier spends five and half to six hours outside everyday. I doubt if a bag boy spends thirty minutes a day outside retrieving carts. A bag boy does not have to carry a thirty-five pound bag while retrieving those carts. A bag boy does not have to walk up and down over a thousand steps every day to retrieve those carts.
I am not trying to put down bag boys, but the physical demands are just not comparable and the mental demands aren't either.

johnhannibalsmith
11-27-2010, 03:12 PM
...and the mental demands aren't either.

You ever check out the look on one's face if you dare ask where the artichoke hearts are?

mostpost
11-27-2010, 03:17 PM
Are we not discussing parcels here ?????
The discussion is whether a private company can do the job the Postal Service does and do it better. UPS and FedEx were given as examples of delivery service companies that work better than the Postal Service. My point was that they don't do the same thing as the Postal Service. Their combined volume is 3-4% of the Postal Services volume. Their delivery routes are exclusively mounted routes, while Postal Service delivery routes are primarily foot routes.

mostpost
11-27-2010, 03:22 PM
:ThmbUp: :ThmbUp: You've got some good ideas there Mosty. Credit where credit is due.

By the way I bought a stamp the other day and said to the clerk:
"Should I stick it on myself."

The clerk replied: "It'll get there faster if you stick it on the envelope." :D
Postal humor! Can't beat it.
Worst ever example of postal humor:
A man came into our Post Office and said, "I'd like a single stamp."
With great relief I replied, "Good! We're all out of the married ones."

bigmack
11-27-2010, 03:24 PM
Postal carriers are trained professionals:
http://videosift.com/video/Lazy-Mailman-Delivers-Mail-Just-Short-Of-Kicking-It-To-Door

boxcar
11-27-2010, 03:34 PM
A carrier spends five and half to six hours outside everyday. I doubt if a bag boy spends thirty minutes a day outside retrieving carts. A bag boy does not have to carry a thirty-five pound bag while retrieving those carts. A bag boy does not have to walk up and down over a thousand steps every day to retrieve those carts.
I am not trying to put down bag boys, but the physical demands are just not comparable and the mental demands aren't either.

Where do you live? In the backwoods somewhere? Go to a busy supermarket and just stand outside and observe how often you see one bagger after another out on the lot collecting carts. And those carts are literally all over the lot.

Also, you obviously have no idea how much weight they push when pushing six to eight large carts at one time. The vast majority of supermarkets do not use those electric cart pushers, such as what Wal Mart uses.

And finally, a bagger probably walks a heck of a lot more than a mere thousand steps even on a short shift! Besides, retrieving carts, he has to carry out groceries for customers. He has to run to do clean-ups in the aisles. He has to run to refill front end supplies (bags, register tape, etc.). I would venture to say that the physical demands on those people are just about as great as they are on the stockers on a stock crew. And remember: Unlike most letter carriers, they never get to sit down, except on their short breaks! They're continually on their feet for virtually their entire shift.

Boxcar

redshift1
11-27-2010, 03:39 PM
The discussion is whether a private company can do the job the Postal Service does and do it better. UPS and FedEx were given as examples of delivery service companies that work better than the Postal Service. My point was that they don't do the same thing as the Postal Service. Their combined volume is 3-4% of the Postal Services volume. Their delivery routes are exclusively mounted routes, while Postal Service delivery routes are primarily foot routes.

My point was they (usps) are losing money on their parcel service so take letter delivery out of the equation and they cannot compete with FedEx and UPS

mostpost
11-27-2010, 03:39 PM
Postal carriers are trained professionals:
http://videosift.com/video/Lazy-Mailman-Delivers-Mail-Just-Short-Of-Kicking-It-To-Door
He expended more energy doing that than if he had just picked it up and carried it to the door. Perhaps he had a physical problem and was under doctor's orders not to lift more than a certain weight. But if that were the case, he should not have been given such a package and other arrangements should have been made for delivery of the package. All of which makes me question the validity of the video.

johnhannibalsmith
11-27-2010, 03:53 PM
... Perhaps he had a physical problem and was under doctor's orders not to lift more than a certain weight...

And my heart surgeon has to wear an eyepatch... :lol:

Tom
11-27-2010, 03:57 PM
I think we hit a nerve!

Hey Gary, mail mostie an apology. Then call his neighbor and ask him to take it over to him! :lol::lol::lol:

Sorry mostie......you pitched that water mellon, I had to swing at it!

hcap
11-27-2010, 06:17 PM
My heart aches for those poor letter carriers (especially those who would never think of walking to a mailbox ) who have to work under such adverse conditions that would be pretty similar to a bag boy's at a supermarket when he has to go outside in all kinds of weather to manually retrieve shopping carts that are scattered all over a large lot so that customers can shop. I venture to say that down here in my part of Americana, a bagger would probably earn on average about $8. /hr -- most of them, I have to think would be part-timers. So, since their work is more or less comparable to the physical demands of a letter carrier, how would $13. per her sound for a newbie full time letter carrier, sound?Why do I get the feeling you never worked a hard day in your life? Ever do construction? Manual labor? Ever work physically with others on a common project?
Load or unload trucks?

It is difficult to take you seriously criticizing others who sweat for a living when you come off as physically soft and reluctant to break your ass when necessary. Just asking.

boxcar
11-27-2010, 07:14 PM
Why do I get the feeling you never worked a hard day in your life? Ever do construction? Manual labor? Ever work physically with others on a common project?
Load or unload trucks?

It is difficult to take you seriously criticizing others who sweat for a living when you come off as physically soft and reluctant to break your ass when necessary. Just asking.

Why do you ask? I compare the work baggers perform in supermarkets to those of mail carriers, and you come off asking me if I have ever worked? On what grounds!? Or are you just behaving as a typical moral busybody?

Boxcar
P.S. Just asking...

prospector
11-27-2010, 07:45 PM
In my entire life I don't remember more than a handful of times when I received someone else's mail or when my mail was delivered to someone else.
The accuracy of mail delivery is well over 99%. Do you think UPS and FedEX never misdeliver. Human beings work for all these organizations.
trade you mailmans...

canleakid
11-27-2010, 08:56 PM
THE POST OFFICE SYSTEM AS WE KNOW IT, WILL FADE AWAY!!!! E-MAIL, ON LINE BANKING, NEWSPAPERS, MAGAZINES ALL THE THINGS THAT WE GOT IN THE MAIL IS SLOWING DOWN. THEY WILL CUT IT DOWN TO 5 DAYS A WEEK THAT IS A FACT. NO OVERTIME (WILL SAVE ALOT OF $$$) CUT BACK ON WORKERS, THE COST OF STAMPS WILL GO UP, JUST A FEW THINGS THAT WILL HAPPEN IN OUR LIFE TIME. BELOW IS A LINK TO SEE IF YOU ARE SMART ENOUGH TO PASS THE TEST!!!! ;) TO BECOME A MAIL PERSON :confused:

http://www.pse-net.com/PostOffice.htm

boxcar
11-27-2010, 08:59 PM
THE POST OFFICE SYSTEM AS WE KNOW IT, WILL FADE AWAY!!!! E-MAIL, ON LINE BANKING, NEWSPAPERS, MAGAZINES ALL THE THINGS THAT WE GOT IN THE MAIL IS SLOWING DOWN. THEY WILL CUT IT DOWN TO 5 DAYS A WEEK THAT IS A FACT. NO OVERTIME (WILL SAVE ALOT OF $$$) CUT BACK ON WORKERS, THE COST OF STAMPS WILL GO UP, JUST A FEW THINGS THAT WILL HAPPEN IN OUR LIFE TIME. BELOW IS A LINK TO SEE IF YOU ARE SMART ENOUGH TO PASS THE TEST!!!! ;) TO BECOME A MAIL PERSON :confused:

http://www.pse-net.com/PostOffice.htm

It can't take much. After all, Mosty is workin' there. :rolleyes:

Boxcar

GameTheory
11-27-2010, 09:23 PM
To be fair, a mail carrier is a much tougher job than anything a kid does at a supermarket, physically and mentally.

Also to be fair, to declare the post office can handle all these letters better than anyone else when no one else is allowed to try is kinda silly...

Tom
11-27-2010, 11:53 PM
Ever do construction? Manual labor? Ever work physically with others on a common project?
Load or unload trucks?

Construction, no.
Manual labor, yes. Trucks, yes.
Janitor, yard work, golf caddy when the bags were as tall as I was.

Thing is, on all those jobs, I knew how little I was worth. And made sure I was able to excel at them and get opportunities for better. When I started out, I was making $2.10 and hour doing back-breaking work at a dairy. And I knew I was lucky to get it and prayed someone wouldn't come along and do it for $2.00.

The phrase "living wage" never entered my mind because any damn fool could do what I was doing. Know your role and shut your hole. Good career advice when you don't stand out from the herd.

hcap
11-28-2010, 05:23 AM
I think someone who hasn't been out in the "trenches" breaking their back doing physical labor has no business cackling about others who may break theirs.

Tom
11-28-2010, 11:04 AM
You don't have to dig a ditch to know what the final product is worth.
Fact of life, hcap, life is not fair. Just because you break your back doesn't make the ditch any more valuable. The key is to figure out how to make a contribution that someone is willing to pay for.

hcap
11-28-2010, 12:33 PM
You don't have to dig a ditch to know what the final product is worth.
Fact of life, hcap, life is not fair. Just because you break your back doesn't make the ditch any more valuable. The key is to figure out how to make a contribution that someone is willing to pay for.OK, but ascribing god like powers to the so-called free market is a crock and inflates worth of the guys who can pull the most strings. Being that as it may, a UNION is just another example of the evolution free markets. So if the "market sets salaries and therefore "worth", union members are never overpaid.

To cackle on and on about this is absurd. Just as CEOs can bargain for earning 4000 x's as much as a union worker an organization of workers may bargain for whatever they can get.

jballscalls
11-28-2010, 12:54 PM
Why do you ask? I compare the work baggers perform in supermarkets to those of mail carriers, and you come off asking me if I have ever worked? On what grounds!? Or are you just behaving as a typical moral busybody?

Boxcar
P.S. Just asking...

What do you or did you do for a career?? i mean you know what Mostie does and you belittle him for it, so surely you must be part of a more noble profession.

maybe if we knew more about Boxcar the person, we would have less dislike for Boxcar the poster, because we may actually know where some of your anger and hatred come from.

hcap
11-28-2010, 01:00 PM
What do you or did you do for a career?? i mean you know what Mostie does and you belittle him for it, so surely you must be part of a more noble profession.

maybe if we knew more about Boxcar the person, we would have less dislike for Boxcar the poster, because we may actually know where some of your anger and hatred come from. :ThmbUp: :ThmbUp:

Greyfox
11-28-2010, 01:05 PM
You guys are trying to unload a boxcar. ;)

jballscalls
11-28-2010, 02:42 PM

i'm honestly just curious about the person behind the One Big Ass Mistake America sign.

surely there is a man behind those biblical quotes, a story, feelings, happiness, sadness and so much more.

I think once i did hear him say he lived in Florida. so we do know that.

I think there would be demand on PA backstretch for Boxie's memoirs. i'd buy a copy

johnhannibalsmith
11-28-2010, 02:47 PM
...maybe if we knew more about Boxcar the person, we would have less dislike for Boxcar the poster, because we may actually know where some of your anger and hatred come from.

You don't know? It's a computer program!

http://www.microdaq.com/images/onset/software/boxcar3.6.gif

Tom
11-28-2010, 03:21 PM
Being that as it may, a UNION is just another example of EXTORTION.

FTFY

boxcar
11-28-2010, 04:39 PM
You don't know? It's a computer program!

http://www.microdaq.com/images/onset/software/boxcar3.6.gif

:lol: :lol: :lol: That's good! And I'm a program with a great sense of humor.

Boxcar

boxcar
11-28-2010, 04:41 PM

Good luck with that. That would take some very heavy lifting. :lol: :lol:

Boxcar

boxcar
11-28-2010, 04:57 PM

maybe if we knew more about Boxcar the person, we would have less dislike for Boxcar the poster, because we may actually know where some of your anger and hatred come from.

I have a pretty good business background. Owned a couple. Sold 'em both. I "retired" from working for others many moons ago to played the ponies full time for about 15 years. And then retired from that after I made enough to support my better half in a manner in which she was never theretofore accustomed, :D because I wanted to spend my time more constructively in non-business, non-racing related areas.

Now, for the past 4 years or so, I've been working in partnership with another gent on our own racing programs because I wouldn't mind getting back into the game on a p/t basis.

I joke with Mosty because I think he's a trip for various reasons. Anyone who works honestly for a living, I respect ...even Hcap, our resident "rat catcher". :lol: :lol:

I can laugh at myself as fast as I can laugh at anyone else. I hate no one. However, there are things in the world I despise.

Mysteriously yours, ;)
Boxcar

jballscalls
11-28-2010, 09:59 PM
I have a pretty good business background. Owned a couple. Sold 'em both. I "retired" from working for others many moons ago to played the ponies full time for about 15 years. And then retired from that after I made enough to support my better half in a manner in which she was never theretofore accustomed, :D because I wanted to spend my time more constructively in non-business, non-racing related areas.

Now, for the past 4 years or so, I've been working in partnership with another gent on our own racing programs because I wouldn't mind getting back into the game on a p/t basis.

I joke with Mosty because I think he's a trip for various reasons. Anyone who works honestly for a living, I respect ...even Hcap, our resident "rat catcher". :lol: :lol:

I can laugh at myself as fast as I can laugh at anyone else. I hate no one. However, there are things in the world I despise.

Mysteriously yours, ;)
Boxcar

thank you for that, i really enjoyed reading a snippet of your story! always nice to find out actual things about people on these boards

NJ Stinks
11-28-2010, 11:44 PM
thank you for that, i really enjoyed reading a snippet of your story! always nice to find out actual things about people on these boards

Don't tell my wife, JB, but I'm really not that great a horseplayer. ;)

jballscalls
11-28-2010, 11:52 PM

most of aren't!! i had some friends of my sister's up in the booth last week and gave them 2 exacta's in a row. they asked "why don't u just gamble for a living?"

i told them "it doesn't always work that way"

:)

boxcar
11-29-2010, 12:04 AM

Are you great at anything? :D

Boxcar

NJ Stinks
11-29-2010, 01:21 AM
Are you great at anything? :D

Boxcar

Well, let's see now, Boxcar.

Oh yea....I pride myself in being an avid liberal! :p

Or to put it in your terms - a stinking, rotten Commie! :jump:

Golf and Horses
11-29-2010, 05:47 PM
Well here's an interesting development.

http://www.postalreporternews.net/2010/11/25/usps-starts-fiscal-year-2011-with-283-million-profit/

jballscalls
11-30-2010, 11:26 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hox-ni8geIw

I thought of everyone here at PA as kramer, and Mosty as Newman

boxcar
11-30-2010, 11:37 AM
Well, let's see now, Boxcar.

Oh yea....I pride myself in being an avid liberal! :p

:sleeping: :sleeping: Most people excel in their pursuit of evil. So, what else is new? :p :p

Boxcar
P.S. You would have more accurately described the kind of liberal you are with the term RABID. :p :p

boxcar
11-30-2010, 11:44 AM
Well here's an interesting development.

http://www.postalreporternews.net/2010/11/25/usps-starts-fiscal-year-2011-with-283-million-profit/

And note carefully in that report what took the biggest hit in the cutbacks --customer service by a whopping 11%. This goes right to the heart of what I've been saying all along about health care: You wanna make a profit? Then you can't offer Quality, Price and Service. One of these has to go.

Boxcar

hcap
11-30-2010, 12:58 PM
This goes right to the heart of what I've been saying all along about health care: You wanna make a profit? Then you can't offer Quality, Price and Service. One of these has to go.. Yet we both agreed that the VA public option was an excellent model. I do not believe the VA is expected to make a profit.
:sleeping: :sleeping:

boxcar
11-30-2010, 01:56 PM
Yet we both agreed that the VA public option was an excellent model. I do not believe the VA is expected to make a profit.
:sleeping: :sleeping:

Nor does the VA offer the best care in the U.S. So, don't get carried away and try to extrapolate excellent quality out of a government-run operation. The overall care could probably be rated as decent or good. On a scale of 1 to 10, with 10 being Best, the VA might rate a 7 or so, which I think would be acceptable for low-end priced service.

Boxcar

hcap
11-30-2010, 04:42 PM
Nor does the VA offer the best care in the U.S. So, don't get carried away and try to extrapolate excellent quality out of a government-run operation. The overall care could probably be rated as decent or good. On a scale of 1 to 10, with 10 being Best, the VA might rate a 7 or so, which I think would be acceptable for low-end priced service.
BoxcarWould you like to discuss this in a civil manner.? The previous thread was shut down by PA. How about I resist calling you megalo :eek: :eek: :eek: iac , and you hold off on c;)mmie?

boxcar
11-30-2010, 04:59 PM
Would you like to discuss this in a civil manner.? The previous thread was shut down by PA. How about I resist calling you megalo :eek: :eek: :eek: iac , and you hold off on c;)mmie?

There's really nothing discuss unless you happen to believe the VA-Military model offer the highest quality health care in the land. Furthermore, under my model, I wouldn't want this model to offer the best care per se, even if it was capable of doing so. The primary purpose behind the model was to provide PRICE-oriented but a multi-tiered level of services to low income people, which would automatically reduce the overall quality of the services by necessity. If Quality is desired and can be afforded, that kind of care could be had in the Private Sector where it has always been. In short, my Model would fall somewhere between a Soup Kitchen operation and the Four Seasons. Consumers patronizing the former type should not expect to receive the quality cuisine of the latter. Very simple free market concept to understand. ;)

Boxcar

hcap
11-30-2010, 05:30 PM
Actually there is quite a bit to discuss. But if you are not willing, I have other things to do.

I would mention that the public option was rejected by the repugs because they were afraid that it would siphon many off private providers and insurers into the program. I would agree with that. In fact I would guess 75-90% of the country would enroll. And if run similar to plans in other countries, costs would be much lower and controlled, and efficacy would be as good if not better than private providers.
On a scale of 1 to 10, with 10 being Best, the VA might rate a 7 or so, which I think would be acceptable for low-end priced service.A full blown public option based on single payer as the VA , due to economy of scale, strict price controls, lower administrative costs and no profit taking, as in all other western democracies would do much better than your low ball rating. Only your opinion. If you want I can post the charts and graphs supporting my premise once again? You are welcome to post contrary stats. If you have any

Greyfox
11-30-2010, 05:39 PM
Actually there is quite a bit to discuss. But if you are not willing, I have other things to do.

For cripes sake Hcap, this thread is about Mail Service.
You guys got a thread closed down already about health delivery.
Now you are hijacking this one.
If you and Boxie want to go at it try PMing each other or start another thread addressing your issues.

boxcar
11-30-2010, 05:41 PM
For cripes sake Hcap, this thread is about Mail Service.
You guys got a thread closed down already about health delivery.
Now you are hijacking this one.
If you and Boxie want to go at it try PMing each other or start another thread addressing your issues.

I agree. "cap is still obsessing. I won't fuel the flames of health care here.

Boxcar

Greyfox
11-30-2010, 05:45 PM
I agree. "cap is still obsessing. I won't fuel the flames of health care here.

Boxcar

:ThmbUp: He/she can't seem to let it go. The obsession to have the last word is noted there.

Golf and Horses
11-30-2010, 05:46 PM
And note carefully in that report what took the biggest hit in the cutbacks --customer service by a whopping 11%. This goes right to the heart of what I've been saying all along about health care: You wanna make a profit? Then you can't offer Quality, Price and Service. One of these has to go.

Boxcar

I get what you're saying but it seems to me when you are a business that is offering a "service" that customer services would not be where you would want to make cuts, I mean you are depending on the customer...if they don't get the service they will go elsewhere...of course we are talking about the USPS...not so sure the real business world applies there. Maybe Mostpost can enlighten as to the customer services cutbacks.

boxcar
11-30-2010, 05:58 PM
I get what you're saying but it seems to me when you are a business that is offering a "service" that customer services would not be where you would want to make cuts, I mean you are depending on the customer...if they don't get the service they will go elsewhere...of course we are talking about the USPS...not so sure the real business world applies there. Maybe Mostpost can enlighten as to the customer services cutbacks.

You're forgetting something: Does not the USPS have a monopoly on mail service -- or certainly very close to it?

Also, the service the USPS is really offering is mail-parcel-package delivery. This is the core service -- not customer service employees behind the service counter. If USPS cuts back on the core service, that would drive customers away for sure and motivate them to seek other alternatives.

Boxcar

hcap
11-30-2010, 06:05 PM
For cripes sake Hcap, this thread is about Mail Service.Little short sighted there GF. Boxcar brought up the issue on THIS thread in his usual know-it-all way. But I will let it go.

mostpost
11-30-2010, 06:11 PM
I have no idea. I'm retired. Most likely it's cutting window service hours or manning the window with less people. Closing for lunch, opening later, closing earlier.
Here is the thing about that closing for lunch business. Aside from the inconvenience to customers who need to do their postal business on their lunch hour. When you close the service window, the clerk who was working that window does not disappear. He goes in the back and hopefully performs useful work. He is still getting paid the same as if he were working up front. The one thing it does is shift the cost from one department to another. So you may have an 11% cut in customer services and an increase in mail processing. I don't see how that saves the PO overall.

boxcar
11-30-2010, 06:22 PM
I have no idea. I'm retired. Most likely it's cutting window service hours or manning the window with less people. Closing for lunch, opening later, closing earlier.
Here is the thing about that closing for lunch business. Aside from the inconvenience to customers who need to do their postal business on their lunch hour. When you close the service window, the clerk who was working that window does not disappear. He goes in the back and hopefully performs useful work. He is still getting paid the same as if he were working up front. The one thing it does is shift the cost from one department to another. So you may have an 11% cut in customer services and an increase in mail processing. I don't see how that saves the PO overall.

Doing More with Less is how! Multi-taking is how!

It's good to learn that the PO has emerged from the 19th century and finally discovered Parkinson's Business Law. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Boxcar

boxcar
11-30-2010, 06:29 PM
Little short sighted there GF. Boxcar brought up the issue on THIS thread in his usual know-it-all way. But I will let it go.

Only in an ancillary way to make the singular point that sound business principles or laws apply in all areas of the private sector and even in the public one whenever its goal is to make a profit!

Boxcar
P.S. Hcap, methinks I also know more about business than you'll ever know. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Golf and Horses
11-30-2010, 06:32 PM
You're forgetting something: Does not the USPS have a monopoly on mail service -- or certainly very close to it?

Also, the service the USPS is really offering is mail-parcel-package delivery. This is the core service -- not customer service employees behind the service counter. If USPS cuts back on the core service, that would drive customers away for sure and motivate them to seek other alternatives.

Boxcar

I guess less customer service employees at the windows will mean longer lines and waits at the P.O....which may cause people to seek alternatives to the USPS...Yes the USPS is pretty much a monopoly...by the way I have 2 very good friends that have worked at the USPS for 20 + years...some of their stories are unbelievable...they work in a huge facility not a regular post office for the public