PDA

View Full Version : Dirt Track labeled as "Good"

xfile
11-25-2010, 08:33 AM
Dirt Track labeled as "Good" - Do you consider this a 'wet track' in your handicapping in looking for a horse who has a positive record on wet track? Technically sloppy, muddy, good are all off tracks. Track is 'off'. I'm curious what you all do on the 'good' track. Personally I find it more significant when the track passes from 'fast to good' than from 'sloppy or muddy to good'. 2 different directions.

sammy the sage
11-25-2010, 08:57 AM
Personally I find it more significant when the track passes from 'fast to good' than from 'sloppy or muddy to good'. 2 different directions.

I find the REVERSE to be true...perhaps I'll elaborate...if you do :lol:

Gapfire
11-25-2010, 10:40 AM
Dirt Track labeled as "Good" - Do you consider this a 'wet track' in your handicapping in looking for a horse who has a positive record on wet track? Technically sloppy, muddy, good are all off tracks. Track is 'off'. I'm curious what you all do on the 'good' track. Personally I find it more significant when the track passes from 'fast to good' than from 'sloppy or muddy to good'. 2 different directions.

I'd say that my figs are less accurate when the track is drying out. It looks like you are saying the opposite is happening with you.

Dave Schwartz
11-25-2010, 12:00 PM
"Good" tracks are, for me, a bit of an anomaly.

I find that I can handicap good tracks with data from fast tracks, but not the other way around.

My performance on "good" is just like "fast" but if I add "good" track data to a track model it distorts my picks on "fast" tracks.

thaskalos
11-25-2010, 01:17 PM
In my opinion, "good" is...NO GOOD!

For my handicapping, I equate it with a muddy track...and consider it much different than a sloppy or a fast track.

raybo
11-25-2010, 07:23 PM
My experience is that many times a "good" track is slower than a "muddy" track. This may be because sometimes a track is actually still just "sloppy" when they assign the "muddy" condition. As the track begins to dry out, it becomes "sticky", which, IMO, is worse than "muddy" regarding slowness of the surface.

Personally, I don't pay too much attention to the label, but instead, to what the times look, or looked like.

"Off" tracks can be misleading, except for horses that clearly don't like surfaces that aren't dry and fast. I do a lot of watching when tracks are "off". Don't care too much for chaos, I like callable races, as a superfecta player, just let me get the winner, I've got a good shot at getting the other 3.