PDA

View Full Version : Justice Served - Delay Convicted

Secretariat
11-24-2010, 11:45 PM
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/us_delay_trial

Jury convicts Tom DeLay in money laundering trial
By JUAN A. LOZANO, Associated Press Juan A. Lozano, Associated Press

AUSTIN, Texas – The heavy-handed style that made Tom DeLay one of the nation's most powerful and feared members of Congress also proved to be his downfall Wednesday when a jury determined he went too far in trying to influence elections, convicting the former House majority leader on two felonies that could send him to prison for decades.

Jurors deliberated for 19 hours before returning guilty verdicts on charges of money laundering and conspiracy to commit money laundering in a scheme to illegally funnel corporate money to Texas candidates in 2002. He faces up to life in prison on the money laundering charge, although prosecutors haven't yet recommended a sentence.

PaceAdvantage
11-25-2010, 12:13 AM
You do pick the weirdest times to show up around here... :lol:

boxcar
11-25-2010, 12:54 AM
You do pick the weirdest times to show up around here... :lol:

Not really when you stop to think about it. I'm thinkin' the Delay conviction is about the only thing Sec has be thankful for this year, thus far. Pretty sad, but probably true.

Boxcar

JustRalph
11-25-2010, 04:52 AM
Funny that he forgot to mention that the prosecutors changed their whole case around and used a totally different set of laws to go after Delay.

In fact, nobody had ever been convicted of "Money Laundering" using campaign funds. They were going to lose using the Campaign laws and they knew it. So they are stretching a totally different law to find a way to convict. This gets to be dangerous when it comes to the appeals process.

Remember, they convicted Ted Stevens in Alaska using a similar tactic and the appeals court judge admonished the prosecutor and threw the case out. Then put enough pressure on the prosecutor that he quietly went away.......and is persona non grata in Alaska and the legal community

I hope Tommy appeals. They jumped through hoops to get this done. I don't think he is totally innocent, but when you see a legal stretch like this....something ain't right with the prosecutors case.

Please notice that Sec has not posted a single thing since 11-2

I wonder what happen on 11-2 to keep him from coming around ? ??

Coincidence ???? 3 weeks of hiding and up pops Sec.........

Overlay
11-25-2010, 09:24 AM
Justice Served - Delay Convicted
So Sec must be of the opinion that justice DeLayed is not justice denied, after all.

Tom
11-25-2010, 10:32 AM
Sec should change his handle to Gout.

JustRalph
11-25-2010, 11:28 AM
Sec should change his handle to Gout.
:lol:

JustRalph
11-26-2010, 08:02 AM
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/40373923/ns/politics-more_politics/

The appeal should be interesting.........

mostpost
11-26-2010, 01:01 PM
Remember, they convicted Ted Stevens in Alaska using a similar tactic and the appeals court judge admonished the prosecutor and threw the case out. Then put enough pressure on the prosecutor that he quietly went away.......and is persona non grata in Alaska and the legal community
I believe you are wrong about this. The verdict in the Stevens case was vacated by the trial judge when evidence was presented that the prosecution had withheld witnesses and evidence that would have been helpful to the defense. The failure to adequately inform the defense was brought to light by the U.S. Attorney General Eric Holder who recommended vacating the verdict and the indictment.
Putting it another way, the misconduct took place during the Bush Administration; the correction took place during the Obama Administration.
I don't know that you can say the prosecutor quietly went away. Nicholas Marsh committed suicide about two months ago.

JustRalph
11-26-2010, 01:13 PM
I didn't want to bring up his suicide. I was trying to describe what happen without being coarse about it. If I had brought it up, your ilk would have probably berated me for it.

But no, you had to pile on.........

I believe you are wrong about this. The verdict in the Stevens case was vacated by the trial judge when evidence was presented that the prosecution had withheld witnesses and evidence that would have been helpful to the defense. The failure to adequately inform the defense was brought to light by the U.S. Attorney General Eric Holder who recommended vacating the verdict and the indictment.
Putting it another way, the misconduct took place during the Bush Administration; the correction took place during the Obama Administration.
I don't know that you can say the prosecutor quietly went away. Nicholas Marsh committed suicide about two months ago.

mostpost
11-26-2010, 02:59 PM
I didn't want to bring up his suicide. I was trying to describe what happen without being coarse about it. If I had brought it up, your ilk would have probably berated me for it.

But no, you had to pile on.........
it was not my intention to be coarse, just factual. I did not know if you were aware of the suicide. I don't know what my ilk would have done, but I would not have berated you for brining it up.

I'm glad to see you have no problems with the rest of my post.

mostpost
11-26-2010, 03:18 PM
Funny that he forgot to mention that the prosecutors changed their whole case around and used a totally different set of laws to go after Delay.
Can you provide specifics for this statement. The prosecutors indicted DeLay on conspiracy and money laundering charges. A judge threw out the conspiracy charges and was upheld by an Appeals Court. The prosecutors proceeded with the money laundering charges and DeLay was convicted. You might be able to say they modified their case, but you can't say they used a completely different set of laws. In any case, DeLay was found guilty of breaking the law. Does the fact that it was not the law he was originally charged with breaking excuse his criminality?
Here is the timeline from TalkingPointsMemo.com.

Tom DeLay - Indicted - Trial Pending Appeals Decision

Rep. Tom DeLay (R-TX) is being prosecuted in Texas by Travis County District Attorney Ronnie Earle for Money Laundering, a felony. He was indicted September 28th, 2005 on a Criminal Conspiracy charge. On October 3rd, a Money Laundering charge was added.

On December 5th, 2005 the judge threw out the Conspiracy charge against DeLay. The prosecutor, District Attorney Ronnie Earle, appealed. On April 19, 2006 the Texas Third Court of Appeals upheld the ruling to dismiss the conspiracy charge against DeLay.

The money laundering charge, a first-degree felony, carries a possible sentence of five years probation to life in prison.

JustRalph
11-26-2010, 03:52 PM
There are 22 states with similar money laundering laws. Not one has ever been used to go after campaign finance abuses. Until now.

This case will be watched all the way through the appeals process to see how far it goes. Do a Google search, you will find several articles implying the same thing.

Prosecutors all over the country are watching this as test case. Money Laundering laws were not written for Campaign finance ........this will be a test case.

delayjf
11-27-2010, 03:58 PM
Money Laundering laws were not written for Campaign finance ........this will be a test case.

If this sticks - does it open the doors to the wide spread use of RICO investigations into Politicians?

Tom
11-27-2010, 04:01 PM
If this sticks - does it open the doors to the wide spread use of RICO investigations into Politicians?

Let us hope so...keep a good thought. :jump::ThmbUp::jump::kiss:

JustRalph
11-27-2010, 04:33 PM

who knows.... I never thought of that..... but if the shoe fits.........?

bigmack
11-27-2010, 04:34 PM
For nothing else, he oughta get life for wearing this getup.

http://www.fancast.com/blogs/files/2009/10/tomdelayquits.jpg