PDA

View Full Version : How is the Gazelle still a Grade 1

Jasonm921
11-24-2010, 10:51 PM
A 3 year old filly race in the end of November is still a grade 1? I know they moved it from the Belmont schedule 2 years ago but unless they let older mares in this race this should be the first one down graded next year by the Grading Committee.

NTamm1215
11-25-2010, 12:03 AM
A 3 year old filly race in the end of November is still a grade 1? I know they moved it from the Belmont schedule 2 years ago but unless they let older mares in this race this should be the first one down graded next year by the Grading Committee.

Have you taken a look at last year's Gazelle field? The winner was already a GI winner in 2009, the place horse came back to win a little race this year called the Breeders' Cup Ladies' Classic, the defending 2YO filly champion was in the field along with another filly who was GI placed.

The 2008 edition was won by a filly who had previously earned two GI wins in that season and came back to win two GIs in 2009.

The 2007 edition was won by a filly who was multiple GI placed and the runner-up won the Las Virgenes, SA Oaks, Kentucky Oaks, and Belmont Stakes.

The 2006 edition was won by a filly who had previously won the Mother Goose and Alabama. The 5th place finisher in that field had won the GI Acorn. The 4th place finisher was Unbridled Belle, who went on to win the Delaware Handicap and Beldame in the following year.

There are a lot of races that have GI status that don't deserve it. The Gazelle is absolutely not one of them.

Jasonm921
11-25-2010, 04:25 AM
You are missing the point. A race restricted to 3 year old fillies should not be a Grade 1 at the end of November in their 3 year old year. It is generally accepted that a 3 year old of either sex can compete against their elder counterparts by the end of the year. That is the point.

JustRalph
11-25-2010, 04:43 AM
Have you taken a look at last year's Gazelle field? The winner was already a GI winner in 2009, the place horse came back to win a little race this year called the Breeders' Cup Ladies' Classic, the defending 2YO filly champion was in the field along with another filly who was GI placed.

The 2008 edition was won by a filly who had previously earned two GI wins in that season and came back to win two GIs in 2009.

The 2007 edition was won by a filly who was multiple GI placed and the runner-up won the Las Virgenes, SA Oaks, Kentucky Oaks, and Belmont Stakes.

The 2006 edition was won by a filly who had previously won the Mother Goose and Alabama. The 5th place finisher in that field had won the GI Acorn. The 4th place finisher was Unbridled Belle, who went on to win the Delaware Handicap and Beldame in the following year.

There are a lot of races that have GI status that don't deserve it. The Gazelle is absolutely not one of them.

I believe this is exactly how the grading committee determines the grading isn't it ? If so, the above is a pretty good argument. :ThmbUp:

FenceBored
11-25-2010, 07:31 AM
You are missing the point. A race restricted to 3 year old fillies should not be a Grade 1 at the end of November in their 3 year old year. It is generally accepted that a 3 year old of either sex can compete against their elder counterparts by the end of the year. That is the point.

Guess Sanata Anita didn't get the memo either. Don't they have G1s for both 3yo colts and fillies on December 26?

NTamm1215
11-25-2010, 08:14 AM

So the Hollywood Derby, Malibu and La Brea must be on the verge of losing their Grade I as well.

The Gazelle has been a Grade I because of the strength of the fields it has assembled. Only when that stops is it in danger of losing the Grade I. Not because of positioning on the calendar.

GatetoWire
11-25-2010, 10:27 AM

The sport needs to promote more late in the year Graded Stakes for 3 year olds.
Many of these fillies may not be ready for Grade 1's versus the older mares but the experience they will get in a race like the Gazelle will set them up nicely for their 4 year old campaigns.

Unrivaled Belle certainly benefited from her race in last year's Gazelle and I am sure that many of the fillies in this years race will too.

With many of our older stars retiring we need more races that will help our developing 3 year olds turn into older stars not less.

Jasonm921
11-25-2010, 11:10 PM
If they aren't ready then they aren't worthy of a shot at a Grade 1. I am a believer that they have too Many grade 1 races out there. After the Distaff and the Classic have been run, I think the training wheels have to come off. They could have the Gazelle but I feel they should make it a Grade II. I disagree with the logic that a Grade 1 race this late in the year helps build a foundation for next year. It does the opposite, it gives owners one last chance to snag an easy grade 1 win and send them to the breeding shed with an enhanced resume for the spring breeding season. The less grade 1's the more competitive the fields and I would believe owners may be willing to keep their horses around longer to get that lucrative and much harder to achieve Grade 1.

To an earlier post, I stated that the race has moved on the calendar which I felt changed the level of relevance as a grade 1 not as a valid competitive event. So the Belmont versions of the race that were alluded to is a non factor in this debate. As to last years renewal no one cared about Unrivaled Belle at the time. Heck not many people cared about her after she beat Rachel. Flashing was a grade 1 winner but in a 7 furlong race (Test i believe) and StardomBound was a shell of herself and a champion by name only much as Meadow Star was in her final races. Bottom line...let's hold our Grade 1 races to the highest standard and not give them out like Little League trophies.

More importantly...hope everyone had a great Thanksgiving.

NTamm1215
11-26-2010, 01:22 AM
If they aren't ready then they aren't worthy of a shot at a Grade 1. I am a believer that they have too Many grade 1 races out there. After the Distaff and the Classic have been run, I think the training wheels have to come off. They could have the Gazelle but I feel they should make it a Grade II. I disagree with the logic that a Grade 1 race this late in the year helps build a foundation for next year. It does the opposite, it gives owners one last chance to snag an easy grade 1 win and send them to the breeding shed with an enhanced resume for the spring breeding season. The less grade 1's the more competitive the fields and I would believe owners may be willing to keep their horses around longer to get that lucrative and much harder to achieve Grade 1.

To an earlier post, I stated that the race has moved on the calendar which I felt changed the level of relevance as a grade 1 not as a valid competitive event. So the Belmont versions of the race that were alluded to is a non factor in this debate. As to last years renewal no one cared about Unrivaled Belle at the time. Heck not many people cared about her after she beat Rachel. Flashing was a grade 1 winner but in a 7 furlong race (Test i believe) and StardomBound was a shell of herself and a champion by name only much as Meadow Star was in her final races. Bottom line...let's hold our Grade 1 races to the highest standard and not give them out like Little League trophies.

More importantly...hope everyone had a great Thanksgiving.

There are a number of far more egregious Grade Is in this country than the Gazelle. I'm still a little baffled that you singled it out as a race that should be downgraded.

You also can't talk about how it should be downgraded and completely ignore past runnings. Races are downgraded when the quality is not worthy of the current grade. They're not downgraded because they are moved on the calendar and owners can get a GI placing before retiring their horses. You can't argue that it should be downgraded then disregard the criteria used to downgrade it.

I completely agree with you that there are far too many GI races. I think that's undeniable, but to single this race out is odd.

Jasonm921
11-26-2010, 03:29 AM
Because it's this weekend. I have plenty of other races too...do you have an hour :)

ihatenyra
11-26-2010, 07:18 AM
It eventually will be downgraded if it keeps attracting fields like this. The only horse in this field you can ever even mistake as a G1 horse is Awesome Maria and that was only because of her performance as a 2yo.