PDA

View Full Version : after the bell betting

lamboguy
11-24-2010, 01:38 PM
will take a big hit once all the tracks switch to DISH NETWORK. DISH NETWORK feeds are all 7 second delayed feeds. so if you are sitting in a dogtrack in east oshkosh, a bell will not help you bet the break or cancel because you will be to late seeing it. it doesn't stop those that are at the actual track running the race. but that should be easy to police for a major race track. it doesn't stop anyone who might have access to the pools during or after the race, but that should be easy to find as well. this will be big for the harness racing game.

Stillriledup
11-24-2010, 02:54 PM
If you have satellite, its all pretty much on delay. Even though a channel like TVG is not in HD, if a person has that tvg as part of a satellite package, theres going to be a delay.

Most people have satellite anyway i'm guessing.

lamboguy
11-24-2010, 03:50 PM
first of all the adw were never the culprits of after the bell betting. i knew a guy that was doing about $5 million a year in after the bell betting at the BELMONT LODGE in BELMONT, NEW HAMPSHIRE for years. they have DISH NETWORK now, he is out of business. every track track now uses DISH. after the bell is gone goodbye for break bettors. its not dead for computer hackers though.

thaskalos
11-24-2010, 04:01 PM
first of all the adw were never the culprits of after the bell betting. i knew a guy that was doing about $5 million a year in after the bell betting at the BELMONT LODGE in BELMONT, NEW HAMPSHIRE for years. they have DISH NETWORK now, he is out of business. every track track now uses DISH. after the bell is gone goodbye for break bettors. its not dead for computer hackers though.
How long after the bell are we talking about, Lambo?

Stillriledup
11-24-2010, 04:09 PM

Are we talking about bets after the race starts?

lamboguy
11-24-2010, 04:13 PM
years ago i used to have up to 20 seconds to not only pick the horse, but another 10 seconds to cancel them.

the guy that i knew that was in new hampshire told me he could make money in harness with minus 1 second to call a harness race. if a short price horse broke before the bell he would have his ticket already and just hit send. every track had different time alotments after the bell, my guess is that it was less than 7 seconds. with DISH all these guys are DEAD. guys that either have access to pools or are hackers are a different story, that only would play blind pools like trifecta's and superfecta's.

BELMONT LODGE has closed its doors altogether now for simulcast wagering, they just lost their main customer.

baconswitchfarm
11-25-2010, 02:10 AM
I expect this to severely damage harness pools. A large amount of your handle comes in the last 30 seconds . Now cut off betting the last ten seconds. Like a toy store closing two days before christmas when their largest portion of income arrives. With that being said. It really doesn't matter. Handle this year is in financial freefall at most harness tracks. The tracks with slots don't give a damn about handle. The tracks that can never get slots are like zombies. They just keep stumbling along blindly and don't even know they are dead.

satrabyk
12-09-2010, 09:00 PM
I thought suspension of races are controlled automatically - ie. bets cannot take place once starting gate opens.

When and why are all tracks going to Dish Network feeds ?

Someone at Roberts Communications mentioned that the Dish Network feeds will be first generations feeds by Feb/2011. That should eliminate the current delay experienced at present time.

Longshot
12-10-2010, 02:02 PM
After the gate opens betting has been done. I watched a man at Evangeline Downs several nights standing so he could see the horses coming down the stretch give hand signals to a ticket seller who was still punching out tickets.

I myself, I must say am guilty to doing about the same thing in the late 90's at LaD.You could bet Los Al quarter horses races at LaD but you bet them at the self teller machines through Delta Downs. If you had a race with a 6/5 or so favorite you could key in a win bet on the horse and then watch the monitor while the race was being run. If your horse was easily on top about half way through the race you could hit the print ticket button and then the repeat ticket button as many times as you could before being locked out. Usually you could get 3 to 4 tickets bet. I never knew if I should feel like a bad person or just someone that was using what was given.

JustRalph
12-10-2010, 06:06 PM
After the gate opens betting has been done. I watched a man at Evangeline Downs several nights standing so he could see the horses coming down the stretch give hand signals to a ticket seller who was still punching out tickets.

I myself, I must say am guilty to doing about the same thing in the late 90's at LaD.You could bet Los Al quarter horses races at LaD but you bet them at the self teller machines through Delta Downs. If you had a race with a 6/5 or so favorite you could key in a win bet on the horse and then watch the monitor while the race was being run. If your horse was easily on top about half way through the race you could hit the print ticket button and then the repeat ticket button as many times as you could before being locked out. Usually you could get 3 to 4 tickets bet. I never knew if I should feel like a bad person or just someone that was using what was given.

Somebody Bookmark this post............and send it around.....including to HANA........

boogsley
12-10-2010, 10:15 PM
I thought suspension of races are controlled automatically - ie. bets cannot take place once starting gate opens.

When and why are all tracks going to Dish Network feeds ?

Someone at Roberts Communications mentioned that the Dish Network feeds will be first generations feeds by Feb/2011. That should eliminate the current delay experienced at present time.

Hope that info from Roberts is true. OTB I manage has been using DISH Network the last few months, and I get a lot of customers annoyed at the 3-7 second lag. Especially since HRTV shows most of the tracks closer to real time than our feeds (and TVG ends up another 2+ seconds after). Can't imagine how much handle is lost at bigger places.