PDA

View Full Version : Free Winzip utility for Windows 7 Home Premium

Vinnie
11-24-2010, 10:01 AM
Hello Folks!

I hope that everyone is doing well and I wish everyone on the board a very Happy Thanksgiving holiday. I just purchased a new laptop recently with Windows 7 Home Premium. My old Windows XP machine has the old utility of Winzip 8.1 and has always worked exceptionally well at unzipping the BRIS files for the software that I use. My question:

Is there a Free Winzip utility currently out there available for a Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit OS and what do you recommend?

Any and all feedback is welcomed.

Happy Thanksgiving and thanks for any feedback or recommendations.

GameTheory
11-24-2010, 10:14 AM
Hello Folks!

I hope that everyone is doing well and I wish everyone on the board a very Happy Thanksgiving holiday. I just purchased a new laptop recently with Windows 7 Home Premium. My old Windows XP machine has the old utility of Winzip 8.1 and has always worked exceptionally well at unzipping the BRIS files for the software that I use. My question:

Is there a Free Winzip utility currently out there available for a Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit OS and what do you recommend?

Any and all feedback is welcomed.

Happy Thanksgiving and thanks for any feedback or recommendations.
I think winzip lets you use it in "evaluation mode" pretty much forever as long as you don't mind clicking the "continue trial" box all the time.

But 7zip is a free and very good alternative, and for zipping files for yourself and others willing to use the 7z format (it will do .zip as well), the compression ratio is much much better. I took 500 MB of text files (very similar files) and put them in zip format with the standard options -- got down to 90 MB. Same files in 7z -- 1 MB. 1 MB!

Vinnie
11-24-2010, 10:51 AM
GameTheory:

Thanks so much for the excellent advice. I appreciate it.

Have a wonderful Thanksgiving. :)

serp
11-24-2010, 03:07 PM
Win7 has the ability to zip/unzip files built-in.

If you need more formats then I as well suggest 7zip.

hcap
11-24-2010, 03:15 PM
There is a built in utilitiy in Win 7 that allows you to zip and unzip. Generally if you right click on a file you will see those options.

However I heartily recommend 7 zip also. You can highlight a bunch of files at one time and unzip all to a directory of your choice. I frequently unzip hundreds of Bris data files simultaneously Other programs like Winzip will do this, but 7 zip is free and has all the other the positives Game Theory mentioned

Vinnie
11-24-2010, 05:54 PM
hcap, serp:

Thanks so much for the excellent information on 7Zip and Winzip. I appreciate the tips. I wasn't aware that Win7 had the built in zip that you mentioned hcap.

Once again, thanks a bunch for taking the time to respond folks. I appreciate it.

Have a wonderful Thanksgiving holiday. :)

Canarsie
11-24-2010, 06:00 PM
I have been using this program for well over 10 years it's the best there is. Here's the revue but it really doesn't need one. When I send or receive files it always knows if it's corrupt and is always updated.

http://download.cnet.com/WinRAR-32-bit/3000-2250_4-10007677.html

Vinnie
11-25-2010, 08:02 AM
I have been using this program for well over 10 years it's the best there is. Here's the revue but it really doesn't need one. When I send or receive files it always knows if it's corrupt and is always updated.

http://download.cnet.com/WinRAR-32-bit/3000-2250_4-10007677.html

Thanks for all of your help Canarsie. I appreciate it very much.

Have a wonderful Thanksgiving.