PDA

View Full Version : To Kill A Mockingbird

cj's dad
11-23-2010, 09:14 PM
Currently watching what could arguably be the best movie ever - your thoughts ??

boxcar
11-23-2010, 09:46 PM
Currently watching what could arguably be the best movie ever - your thoughts ??

I would rank that movie as probably being one of the Top Ten All Time. In fact, it's probably time to watch it again. It's been a while.

It's a shame that those good movie-making days are largely behind us. Modern cinema, generally, is garbage compared to older movies. In those days, an actor or actress were expected to act for a living. Not so much today...

Boxcar

Rookies
11-23-2010, 10:23 PM
The diff then v.s. now is the speech. Many of the greatest movies of the beginning golden age of film were dedicated to characters describing themselves through words, rather than actions.

Great book by Lee, Atticus Finch- odd cool name and Robert Duvall begins his long movie career.

Loved the movie and the legends, reminding me of the guy I saw Saturday night north of TO. He said to an audience of 5,000: " On September 16th. last, I turned 85."

That would be the master of another craft, but same vintage: Blues Boy King! :ThmbUp: :cool:

boxcar
11-23-2010, 10:31 PM
The diff then v.s. now is the speech. Many of the greatest movies of the beginning golden age of film were dedicated to characters describing themselves through words, rather than actions.

Great book by Lee, Atticus Finch- odd cool name and Robert Duvall begins his long movie career.

Loved the movie and the legends, reminding me of the guy I saw Saturday night north of TO. He said to an audience of 5,000: " On September 16th. last, I turned 85."

That would be the master of another craft, but same vintage: Blues Boy King! :ThmbUp: :cool:

And the characters of old more often than not described or expressed themselves without the use of foul language, also. This, too, added to the overall quality of the script and the acting.

Boxcar

JustRalph
11-23-2010, 11:01 PM
I like the look of that film. I am not a fan of courtroom drama. I like the stark Black and White look of the neighborhood scenes etc.

The dialog is very well thought out and the pacing is perfect. As opposed to other courtroom drama that always ends up in total bullshit.

PhantomOnTour
11-23-2010, 11:58 PM
Best movie ever is 'Witness For The Prosecution'

johnhannibalsmith
11-24-2010, 12:14 AM
Excellent movie and book. And it gave rise to a wonderful Dennis Miller line that you can pull out if you want blank stares - "...has got the attention span of Boo Radley."

OTM Al
11-24-2010, 09:11 AM
It's a shame that those good movie-making days are largely behind us. Modern cinema, generally, is garbage compared to older movies. In those days, an actor or actress were expected to act for a living. Not so much today...

Boxcar

I've heard many people say this, but it isn't really true. The movies of yesteryear that we see today are the ones that survived the test of time. They made many more films back then than they do today. Many film shoots lasted no more than a couple weeks and the studios just cranked them out. There was plenty of complete garbage made back then, it just hasn't been shown again since its initial run so no one remembers it. Actors had to act a lot because they were bound to a studio by contract and got paid very little for their work. Very few got to choose what they wanted to do.

On topic, "To Kill a Mockingbird" is quite good. Best ever is a matter of taste of course. I think "Casablanca" is the perfect movie and don't think "Citizen Kane" is even Welles' best film to name two films that are usually on top of most lists. Many people love "It's a Wonderful Life", but I think it's complete crap. Good films are still made. The recent "Lord of the Rings" films stack up against any epic ever made.

Tom
11-24-2010, 11:15 AM
Hands down...best flick ever........Blazing Saddles!

sandpit
11-24-2010, 12:24 PM

:jump: :jump: Was the first DVD I ever bought even though I'd seen the movie about 100 times. I could never figure out why when they showed it on various cable channels, the only one that didn't beep out the obvious words is BET :confused:

On topic, as good as the movie is, the fact that Lee wrote that book and never penned another is one of the most incredible achievements in literary history.

OTM Al
11-24-2010, 12:28 PM

If you've never seen Destry Rides Again and are a huge fan of Blazing Saddles, you must see it. Brooks must have seen this one a few times and is definitely a major influence on his movie.

Hank
11-24-2010, 03:56 PM
"To kill a mocking bird" was a great film, "The Godfather" still #1 on my list:ThmbUp:

Pell Mell
11-24-2010, 05:39 PM
I'm partial to westerns. Last great one for me was The Unforgiven. Must have seen The Good, The Bad, The Ugly a 100 times and still think Eli Wallach should have gotten an oscar for that one. :ThmbUp:

sandpit
11-24-2010, 07:55 PM
If you've never seen Destry Rides Again and are a huge fan of Blazing Saddles, you must see it. Brooks must have seen this one a few times and is definitely a major influence on his movie.

Destry is indeed excellent; and if you haven't seen Evil Roy Slade, you've missed the best made for tv movie ever.