PDA

View Full Version : Health Care Costs

jballscalls
11-23-2010, 03:18 PM
anyone else's premiums, copays, deductables and out of pockets going up drastically in 2011??

MID sent out a big packet explaining all the extra costs because of health care reform and the companies costs went up big, and so did ours.

seems the only thing that it does is expand coverage to adult children to age 26, so us non children havers get screwed to pay for someone else?

ArlJim78
11-23-2010, 04:00 PM
No sorry that can't be right, Barack Obama said otherwise and he is smart and would not mislead anyone. We're all going to be saving an average of $2,500 per family. It must be some kind of mistake, or a typo. Better have them check it out.

__________________________________________________ ___

http://www.barackobama.com/pdf/Obama08_HealthcareFAQ.pdf

Q. Obama says his plan will save $2,500 annually for my family. How?

A. Through a combination of developing efficiencies in the system, expanding

coverage to all Americans, and picking up the cost of some high-cost cases.

Specifically:

- Health IT investment, which will reduce unnecessary and wasteful

spending in the health care system. Examples include extra hospital stays

because of preventable medical errors and duplicative diagnostic tests;

- Improving prevention and management of chronic conditions;

- Increasing insurance industry competition and reining in the abusive

practices of monopoly insurance and drug companies;

- Providing reinsurance for catastrophic cases, which will reduce insurance

premiums; and

- Ensuring every American has health coverage, which will reduce spending

on the “uncompensated” care of uninsured people who end up in

emergency rooms and whose care is picked up by institutions and then

passed through higher charges to insured individuals.

skate
11-23-2010, 04:33 PM
Pressure from employers, the BO administration on Monday loosened rules for bare-bones health-insurance policies. It's one of the administration's biggest steps to PEEL BACK regs that big business found stinky under the BO health-care bill.

Has to do with McDonalds and the fast turn over type coverage.

Just like nancy said, "we'll have to wait"

johnhannibalsmith
11-23-2010, 05:00 PM
anyone else's premiums, copays, deductables and out of pockets going up drastically in 2011??

I can't figure out how this is still a "I can't believe it" moment. Everything about everything that we heard about this "reform" poppycock figured to do absolutely nothing but get more crap government right in the middle of something that already sucks --- AKA SLOWER, SHITTIER, COSTLIER...

jballscalls
11-23-2010, 05:06 PM
I can't figure out how this is still a "I can't believe it" moment. Everything about everything that we heard about this "reform" poppycock figured to do absolutely nothing but get more crap government right in the middle of something that already sucks --- AKA SLOWER, SHITTIER, COSTLIER...

where did i post that i couldnt believe it?? i very much believed it then and believe it now that i actually have some hard stone cold facts in front of me!!

once again the middle class gets bent over

horses4courses
11-23-2010, 05:11 PM
This Fall, the corporation I work for hired an outside company (incompetent idiots) to tighten the screws on employees who might be obtaining insurance benefits under false pretenses.

We had to provide documentation proving children were ours, and that my wife and I are actually married. After much jumping through hoops, copies of birth/marriage certs, plus current tax returns, were forwarded to them.

I can understand the need to run a tight ship, but this outside company regularly gave conflicting information regarding requirements....very annoying.
Hiring an outside group to attempt to cut costs was, in itself, very likely more costly than finding any wrong-doers within the corporation.
Got the whole thing sorted out with our own HR dept - much less painful.

Just as that mess was solved, our open enrollment for next year got under way. Bottom line - higher costs and deductibles all round.
Similar coverage - much higher cost.
The only new point of interest - a matching by the corporation of contributions to a Health Savings Account (HSA).

Luckily for me, though, on November 2nd, my wife got elected to city council.
We are now, as a family, eligible for the city's health plan - should be a better deal, although we haven't studied it yet.

In closing, my feelings on why my employer reacted to health care costs.
(1) Children will soon be eligible to stay covered until age 26.
(2) Domestic partners will now be covered (subject to proof of relationship).

They had to offset these potential cost increases by passing on some costs to employees. It's a tough pill to swallow, but it has to be done.

Health care reform has a long way to go before it makes any difference.

bigmack
11-23-2010, 05:12 PM
I heard plenty of middle class folk made out fairly well in real estate. Weren't you one of them?

skate
11-23-2010, 05:14 PM

But dont you see, it's in the humor , when the facts hit the fan, it's like "see i told ya so".
Oh for sure, enough of the peeps believed this would/continue to happen.:)

As long as these "TRUE-LIES" continue, i say, turn on the fans, yepper.

johnhannibalsmith
11-23-2010, 05:50 PM
where did i post that i couldnt believe it?? ...

Page 411, verse VIXII, chapter sept., line -2, word one.

Hey, hey, hey, you... easy or I'll send Boxcar after you! :D

jballscalls
11-23-2010, 05:57 PM
I heard plenty of middle class folk made out fairly well in real estate. Weren't you one of them?

yeah, my condo that i own in Cincinnati that's worth 30% less than I paid for is really doing great!

(by the way, i haven't lived in cincinnati for 2.5 years)

jballscalls
11-23-2010, 05:59 PM
Page 411, verse VIXII, chapter sept., line -2, word one.

Hey, hey, hey, you... easy or I'll send Boxcar after you! :D

please never do that. i'm a fragile person, and another argument with him may be enough to send me off the 405 bridge

JustRalph
11-23-2010, 06:03 PM
where did i post that i couldnt believe it?? i very much believed it then and believe it now that i actually have some hard stone cold facts in front of me!!

just a question to clarify.........who did you vote for? McCain or the Screw Job?

boxcar
11-23-2010, 06:09 PM
please never do that. i'm a fragile person, and another argument with him may be enough to send me off the 405 bridge

Not to fear. I'll toss you a life preserver. :D

Boxcar

jballscalls
11-23-2010, 06:09 PM
just a question to clarify.........who did you vote for? McCain or the Screw Job?

I did not vote for change. (not that it matters but i've posted before a few times that i voted for McCain)

come to think of it i've never voted for a dem for president. i have for governor's and senate, but never POTUS