PDA

View Full Version : Question for Mosty

chickenhead
11-22-2010, 10:15 PM
about Postal delivery rules.

Our mailbox is down on the street side in our cul de sac. Our neighbor parks his truck near it on the curb -- usually the front of his truck is about 5 feet back from the mailbox.

The post office dude doesnt deliver mails on those days, he cruises by in his truck. When we get the mail later, it has "mailbox blocked" written on it.

The box isn't blocked, he would just have to get out of his rig to put it in, or pull forward and back into place if he really didn't want to get out. He just can't pull forward, nose in, and end up next to the box.

Question -- isn't that guy supposed to give me my frickin' mail? Is having to step out of his mobile and take a step or two legitimate grounds for "mailbox blocked" non-delivery, if the box is 5ft clear on one side, and 50 ft clear on the other?

It's pissing me off, but I want to know what the rules are before I get McNasty..

bigmack
11-22-2010, 10:27 PM
Look, man; the USPS motto is "through rain, sleet, or snow..." It don't say nothin' about havin' to get outta no truck. :bang:

boxcar
11-22-2010, 10:32 PM
Look, man; the USPS motto is "through rain, sleet, or snow..." It don't say nothin' about havin' to get outta no truck. :bang:

That's right! If I was stupid enough to work in the public sector, I'd be smart enough to take advantage of that situation by doing as little work as possible for as much money as possible. It's called paycheck value. :lol: :lol:

:ThmbUp: to the lazy driver who gets it. :lol:

Chick, have you considered moving as an option? :lol:

Boxcar

Tom
11-22-2010, 10:35 PM
Chick, break some beer bottles on the road near your box. Kill two birds with one stone!

bigmack
11-22-2010, 10:57 PM
Chick, break some beer bottles on the road near your box. Kill two birds with one stone!
Beer bottles is more of NY thang.

Northern CA "McNasty" is Chick having his girlfriend throw pomegranates at the truck AND the postal carrier.

Keeps his hands clean. What, with the new job & all. :rolleyes:

chickenhead
11-22-2010, 11:09 PM
Hey...HEY!

bigmack
11-22-2010, 11:17 PM
Hey...HEY!
Sure it was directed at mosty, but like the mail, it might take a while. We're just filling the gap while he's sortin' the bulk from your special delivery.

And now, herrrreeere's mosty...

newtothegame
11-22-2010, 11:21 PM
Not that I truly know what's in their contracts...but I am sure Mosty will be along shortly. He will more then likely tell us how its a contractual thing which in the end, will only make ya more "McNasty" lol
get the pomegrandes ..........ready....aim....fireeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee! :lol:

johnhannibalsmith
11-22-2010, 11:51 PM
You've got Mosite all wrong...

He will explain, in detail, that by the actual letter of the postal law, the driver is probably not specifically violating any rules, per se, or something...

but...

...he will point out that the carrier should take more pride in his job like a real carrier would have back in the day and make sure a good fellow like Mr. Chic Kenhead or Current Resident gets his bills punctually.

JustRalph
11-23-2010, 12:02 AM
i've been down this road. Some jurisdictions have a law against it. have you checked out your city ordinances?

I just went over and talked to the neighbor.....it worked out.

boxcar
11-23-2010, 12:37 AM
Sure it was directed at mosty, but like the mail, it might take a while. We're just filling the gap while he's sortin' the bulk from your special delivery.

And now, herrrreeere's mosty...

He'll be right along. He seeks answers to PO problems from the DU, also. :D

Boxcar

mostpost
11-23-2010, 12:39 AM
about Postal delivery rules.

Our mailbox is down on the street side in our cul de sac. Our neighbor parks his truck near it on the curb -- usually the front of his truck is about 5 feet back from the mailbox.

The post office dude doesnt deliver mails on those days, he cruises by in his truck. When we get the mail later, it has "mailbox blocked" written on it.

The box isn't blocked, he would just have to get out of his rig to put it in, or pull forward and back into place if he really didn't want to get out. He just can't pull forward, nose in, and end up next to the box.

Question -- isn't that guy supposed to give me my frickin' mail? Is having to step out of his mobile and take a step or two legitimate grounds for "mailbox blocked" non-delivery, if the box is 5ft clear on one side, and 50 ft clear on the other?

It's pissing me off, but I want to know what the rules are before I get McNasty..
To specifically answer your question, the carrier is not required to deliver your mail if the box is inaccessible or if doing so would place the carrier in jeoporady. (Such as snow or ice on the steps or a dog on the front porch.)

Now it seems like it would be a simple thing for him to stop, get out and walk to your box. But, don't forget those routes are set up to be delivered in a specific period of time. Management does not like it if the carrier exceeds that time. Obviously it would not take much time to do this for you, but then he would have to do the same everytime someone's mailbox is blocked. If he has 500 stops and 10% are blocked it could easily add an hour to his time on the street.
So, what can you do? You could ask your neighbor if he could park his truck 25 or 30 feet back from your mailbox. I know that in a typical cul de sac there may not be a great deal of room and he may not be able to do that.
I do not know if everyone on your cul de sac has an individual box or if there is a cluster of boxes for the entire cul de sac. Assuming it is your box only that is involved would it be difficult to move it to another location?
If none of these suggestions work, or if you don't want to try them, I would suggest you go to your local office and talk to the delivery supervisor. Tell him the situation and request that he talk to your neighbor. By parking his truck where he is, your neighbor is interfering with the delivery of the mail. The supervisor can couch his request as originating in a complaint by the carrier that the carrier is unable to properly do his job due to the presense of the neighbor's truck. Don't be McNasty, but make it clear that the Post Office must do something to solve the problem. If you get no satisfaction from the delivery supervisor insist on talking to the Post Master. If this fails, (the Post Master shouldn't be Post Master,) there is an 800 number (sorry, I no longer remember what it is) where you can register a complaint. A copy of your complaint goes to your Postmaster's boss's office and they are followed up on. I hope this helps.

mostpost
11-23-2010, 12:46 AM
You've got Mosite all wrong...

He will explain, in detail, that by the actual letter of the postal law, the driver is probably not specifically violating any rules, per se, or something...

but...

...he will point out that the carrier should take more pride in his job like a real carrier would have back in the day and make sure a good fellow like Mr. Chic Kenhead or Current Resident gets his bills punctually.
I did like you said. I think most carriers would make the effort to deliver the mail even if it meant getting out of the truck (I know I would have), IF this happened rarely or occassionally. But if this is, as it appears to be, a frequent occurence then he really has no choice but to take the mail back.
Believe me the carrier would much rather deliver the mail the first then carry it back and forth several times.

mostpost
11-23-2010, 12:48 AM
One thing I forgot to mention; the Postal Service has strict rules against backing up if it can be avoided. Drivers are instructed that if they miss a delivery, they are to go around the block rather than back up even a few feet.

mostpost
11-23-2010, 12:52 AM
Chick,
Here is a link to the USPS Customer Service page
http://www.usps.com/customerservice/welcome.htm?from=global_header&page=customerservice

johnhannibalsmith
11-23-2010, 12:53 AM
... Drivers are instructed that if they miss a delivery, they are to go around the block rather than back up even a few feet.

Soooo.... ironically it is Mr. Post that has been driving for the man with a 13EEEE sized carbon shoe.... uhhh huh... :eek:

chickenhead
11-23-2010, 02:03 AM
jesus h christ

I can see a PO box in my future.

bigmack
11-23-2010, 02:10 AM
One thing I forgot to mention; the Postal Service has strict rules against backing up if it can be avoided. Drivers are instructed that if they miss a delivery, they are to go around the block rather than back up even a few feet.
What's the policy about drivin' up on the sidewalk?

IUKqExOYJ8o

Tom
11-23-2010, 08:38 AM
To specifically answer your question, the carrier is not required to deliver your mail if the box is inaccessible or if doing so would place the carrier in jeoporady. (Such as snow or ice on the steps or a dog on the front porch.)

Whatever happened to that snappy code you guys used to brag about?

GameTheory
11-23-2010, 10:04 AM
Is it prescribed by law that your mailbox must be on the street in some areas? (I'm assuming yes -- part of zoning rules or something.) After all, in most neighborhoods, the mail carriers have to walk up steps at each and every house to deliver to a box or a slot near the door. Could chickenhead actually put a mailbox on his porch and demand his mail be delivered there?

This would happen all the time at a house in the Bel-Air area of LA where I used to stay sometimes. They don't even have sidewalks up there, but there is legal parking all along the street, and it is well-used. You can't stop people from parking in front of the mailboxes, so they are blocked 50% of the time (and one day a week you are REQUIRED to put out your trash cans there if you can find room between the cars). Nor is there anyone specific to complain to as it is lots of different random people parking there. So at least half of the time the mail didn't get delivered. What can be done?

Pell Mell
11-23-2010, 10:30 AM
I have found that a twenty dollar bill at xmas time keeps the mail and garbage running smoothly. :lol:

GameTheory
11-23-2010, 11:20 AM
I have found that a twenty dollar bill at xmas time keeps the mail and garbage running smoothly. :lol:I think we get a card or something shortly before Christmas (which, amazingly, they deliver) telling us it is illegal or something to tip postal workers. Or did I dream it?

BlueShoe
11-23-2010, 11:28 AM
the Postal Service has strict rules against backing up if it can be avoided. Drivers are instructed that if they miss a delivery, they are to go around the block rather than back up even a few feet.
By following this procedure how many millions of gallons of extra fuel is used each year? Paid for and subsidized by, of course, the taxpayer. If backing up is so difficult, why not just hop out of the mailster and walk back? Doing this no more than a couple of times a day would hardly add time.

mostpost
11-23-2010, 11:48 AM
jesus h christ

I can see a PO box in my future.
I thought about suggesting that, but wasn't sure if you wanted the hassle of going to the post office everyday.

mostpost
11-23-2010, 11:53 AM
Is it prescribed by law that your mailbox must be on the street in some areas? (I'm assuming yes -- part of zoning rules or something.) After all, in most neighborhoods, the mail carriers have to walk up steps at each and every house to deliver to a box or a slot near the door. Could chickenhead actually put a mailbox on his porch and demand his mail be delivered there?
He could not. The area is setup for curbside delivery. There may not even be sidewalks. I think this is mostly an economic issue. A carrier in a car can deliver to a lot more homes than one on foot.
This would happen all the time at a house in the Bel-Air area of LA where I used to stay sometimes. They don't even have sidewalks up there, but there is legal parking all along the street, and it is well-used. You can't stop people from parking in front of the mailboxes, so they are blocked 50% of the time (and one day a week you are REQUIRED to put out your trash cans there if you can find room between the cars). Nor is there anyone specific to complain to as it is lots of different random people parking there. So at least half of the time the mail didn't get delivered. What can be done?
I do not have a solution to the problem. I tried to deal with Chickenhead's specific situation, assuming it was unique.

Greyfox
11-23-2010, 11:55 AM
I do not have a solution to the problem. I tried to deal with Chickenhead's specific situation, assuming it was unique.

I have a solution.

Move the mail box.

mostpost
11-23-2010, 11:55 AM
I think we get a card or something shortly before Christmas (which, amazingly, they deliver) telling us it is illegal or something to tip postal workers. Or did I dream it?
It is USPS policy that employees not accept tips. It is a policy honored more in the breach than in the observance.

GameTheory
11-23-2010, 11:56 AM
I do not have a solution to the problem. I tried to deal with Chickenhead's specific situation, assuming it was unique.Unique to hilly areas in pricey parts of California. Only millions affected...

mostpost
11-23-2010, 12:09 PM
By following this procedure how many millions of gallons of extra fuel is used each year? Paid for and subsidized by, of course, the taxpayer. If backing up is so difficult, why not just hop out of the mailster and walk back? Doing this no more than a couple of times a day would hardly add time.
It's not a matter of difficulty. It's a matter of safety. Those mailsters (as you call them) are loaded with blind spots. Children have been hit by carriers backing their vehicles.
In reality, this does not use "Millions of gallons of extra fuel each year." All routes (mounted or foot) are designed for forward movement. If a carrier has delivered mail to a particular box and notices one or two houses further on that he has another letter for that house, his instructions are to bring that letter back to the Post Office and deliver it the next day. Only in the case of a priority or Express letter would he go back around to make the delivery. In many cases he would dismount and walk back.
Understand that the prohibition on backing up is not absolute. Sometimes, as in the case of a dead end street, it is a necessity. In those cases it must be done with utmost caution and for the briefest distance possible.

bigmack
11-23-2010, 12:14 PM
It is USPS policy that employees not accept tips. It is a policy honored more in the breach than in the observance.
If it has a value over $20 it should be shared with other postal employees :lol:

http://i165.photobucket.com/albums/u70/macktime/post.png

mostpost
11-23-2010, 12:16 PM
What's the policy about drivin' up on the sidewalk?

IUKqExOYJ8o
Apparently it's OK. See video proof above. We did not have mounted routes in the Chicago suburb of Bellwood, Il. where I worked, but I'm sure the policy is you deliver to the box without getting out of the truck; where ever the box might be. It's not about a lazy mailman; it's USPS policy.

BTW What happened to "I'm a liberal for a week?"

bigmack
11-23-2010, 12:19 PM
BTW What happened to "I'm a liberal for a week?"
It's still in full force. Opinions of the USPS are non-partisan.

I rather suspect that if a superior saw that video he/she would clearly say it is not accepted policy for a carrier to drive up on the sidewalk where kids ride their bikes and old people, like yourself, walk. :rolleyes:

mostpost
11-23-2010, 12:25 PM
If it has a value over $20 it should be shared with other postal employees :lol:

http://i165.photobucket.com/albums/u70/macktime/post.png
One of the companies in the town where I worked would bring in large quantites of cookies several times a year. The funny thing is they would bring in Christmas cookies at Easter; Easter type cookies around the Fourth of July; patriotic, red, white and blue decorated cookies in the fall and Halloween themed candies at Christmas. Leftover cookies....not the greatest thing.

mostpost
11-23-2010, 12:27 PM
It's still in full force. Opinions of the USPS are non-partisan.

I rather suspect that if a superior saw that video he/she would clearly say it is not accepted policy for a carrier to drive up on the sidewalk where kids ride their bikes and old people, like yourself, walk. :rolleyes:
Drivers are encouraged not to run over people. :rolleyes:

boxcar
11-23-2010, 12:36 PM
Drivers are encouraged not to run over people. :rolleyes:

The fact that they need to be encouraged doesn't speak well to their competence level, does it? :rolleyes:

Boxcar

Greyfox
11-23-2010, 12:40 PM
Chickenhead initially said:

"Is having to step out of his mobile and take a step or two legitimate grounds for "mailbox blocked" non-delivery, if the box is 5ft clear on one side, and 50 ft clear on the other?"

That's 55 feet to work with.
Moving the box so that there would be 25 feet on one side, and 30 feet on the other would solve the problem. Or is that too easy?

mostpost
11-23-2010, 12:56 PM
Chickenhead initially said:

"Is having to step out of his mobile and take a step or two legitimate grounds for "mailbox blocked" non-delivery, if the box is 5ft clear on one side, and 50 ft clear on the other?"

That's 55 feet to work with.
Moving the box so that there would be 25 feet on one side, and 30 feet on the other would solve the problem. Or is that too easy?
From my #12:
Assuming it is your box only that is involved would it be difficult to move it to another location?
The question would be, what would be the cost and who would pay it. I believe those boxes are the property of the homeowner and he would incur any cost of moving it.

chickenhead
11-23-2010, 01:56 PM
Yeah its open because it is driveway for my house and the guy next to me. If it wasn't, someone would probably park there too. Lots of room to pull over..but not actually somewhere you,d put a mailbox.

cj's dad
11-23-2010, 02:02 PM
When I lived in Balt County in a single family home we had the same problem with the mailman as you have. One day I was in the yard and walked out to get the mail from him because the neighbor had once again parked in close to the box. He would not hand it to me. He said he had to put it in the box and drove off.

Mosty - is this correct ??

GameTheory
11-23-2010, 02:06 PM
When I lived in Balt County in a single family home we had the same problem with the mailman as you have. One day I was in the yard and walked out to get the mail from him because the neighbor had once again parked in close to the box. He would not hand it to me. He said he had to put it in the box and drove off.

Mosty - is this correct ??I've had the mail handed to me plenty of times with different carriers in different states my whole life. Nobody ever raised an eyebrow. And I've handed them outgoing mail also.

Maybe they weren't sure you really lived there?

mostpost
11-23-2010, 02:55 PM

Mosty - is this correct ??
Technically, it is. But I always believed that common sense trumped technicality. If I recognized the person, or if he came out of the house, or was working on the lawn or otherwise appeared to be the owner of the house, I would hand him the mail. If none of these were the case, I would ask to see I.D. No I.D. no mail.
A lot of people, in a lot of fields, are very anal retentive. Example: When I worked as a window clerk, people would come in occasionally and tell us they had forgotten or lost the key to their PO box. The rule was we were not supposed to hand them their mail. They were either to return with their key or purchase a new key. My partner would never deviate from the rule. My attitude was give them the mail as long as I could identify the person as the legitimate owner of the PO Box. Of course, if a person consistently came in and claimed to have forgotten his PO box key, or if he had lost it and refused to buy a replacement, I would not give that person his mail.

Greyfox
11-23-2010, 03:20 PM
Yeah its open because it is driveway for my house and the guy next to me. If it wasn't, someone would probably park there too. Lots of room to pull over..but not actually somewhere you,d put a mailbox.

Then it sounds that your neighbour is actually parking in front of your house when he is 5 feet from the box.

schweitz
11-23-2010, 04:07 PM
When someone parks in front of my mailbox I don't get mail that day, but on days that there is a package too large for my mail box it get put on my front porch. It kind of seems like the postal employee is just pissed that somebody has parked in front of my mailbox and doesn't want to go to the extra work to deliver my mail. :confused:

Greyfox
11-23-2010, 04:13 PM
Most of my mail has plastic windows on the front. It is a blessing when it doesn't come. I can't remember the last card or letter to come from a friend. (What friends?;) )

cj's dad
11-23-2010, 08:36 PM
Technically, it is. But I always believed that common sense trumped technicality. If I recognized the person, or if he came out of the house, or was working on the lawn or otherwise appeared to be the owner of the house, I would hand him the mail. If none of these were the case, I would ask to see I.D. No I.D. no mail.
A lot of people, in a lot of fields, are very anal retentive. Example: When I worked as a window clerk, people would come in occasionally and tell us they had forgotten or lost the key to their PO box. The rule was we were not supposed to hand them their mail. They were either to return with their key or purchase a new key. My partner would never deviate from the rule. My attitude was give them the mail as long as I could identify the person as the legitimate owner of the PO Box. Of course, if a person consistently came in and claimed to have forgotten his PO box key, or if he had lost it and refused to buy a replacement, I would not give that person his mail.

Thanks for the heads up - I knew I was not imagining things