PDA

View Full Version : WHO WAS THE "FAT MAN"

delayjf
09-24-2003, 12:39 PM
Anybody have any idea who Andy Beyer was refering to in his book "my 50,000 year at the races" when he talks about the Fat Man, a shadowy figure who was the master of the betting coup. It would be interesting to hear any stories about him or other who made a career of getting over on the public.

alysheba88
09-24-2003, 02:15 PM
What a great question. Always wondered this myself. Also wondering who jockey "Ganef" was. Cordero maybe?

Valuist
09-24-2003, 04:25 PM
LOL. I had forgotten all about Ganef but I suspected it was Jorge Velasquez.

delayjf
09-24-2003, 04:43 PM
If so maybe he could tell us more about the FAT MAN. I'm going to guess that he's now dead. It would be interesting to hear some of the stories associated with whom ever he is / was.

I don't recall "Ganef" what was his story?

Valuist
09-24-2003, 05:18 PM
Alysheba-

Correct me if I'm wrong on this because it has been almost 20 years since Beyer's "Winning Horseplayer" book came out. He recounted one race in which he was positive a horse had been stiffed, by a Hall of Fame rider who had been known for occasionally stiffing horses. Instead of using their real names, he changes the names. The rider's name was changed to "Ganef".

alysheba88
09-25-2003, 09:28 AM
Yes thats right Valuist. He said the jockey had won at least one Triple Crown race and was notorious for giving rides that would make the Boston Strangler proud.

JimG
09-27-2003, 01:58 PM
Originally posted by delayjf
Anybody have any idea who Andy Beyer was refering to in his book "my 50,000 year at the races" when he talks about the Fat Man, a shadowy figure who was the master of the betting coup. It would be interesting to hear any stories about him or other who made a career of getting over on the public.

Can't answer that one. Good question. I did hear that Andy Serling was "The Kid" in 50,000 yr at races.

Jim