PDA

View Full Version : REPEATING POSTS

karlskorner
09-24-2003, 12:32 PM
Maybe it's me, but it is getting tiresome "rereading" posts. For reasons I don't understand, it seems that that in order to answer a post or add to it, the poster first has to insert in "bold" letters a post WE HAVE ALREADY READ and then further on down another poster will repeat the original post and it goes on and on.

It seems those literate in the English language like to fill up 3-4 screens with what could be said in a couple of sentences. As I said tiresome. Those who teach etc. etc. etc.

GameTheory
09-24-2003, 12:41 PM
Originally posted by karlskorner
Maybe it's me, but it is getting tiresome "rereading" posts. For reasons I don't understand, it seems that that in order to answer a post or add to it, the poster first has to insert in "bold" letters a post WE HAVE ALREADY READ and then further on down another poster will repeat the original post and it goes on and on.

The "quote" convention, as demonstrated here, is quite useful actually, because of the nature of message board threads. If the reply to a post is separated by a couple of posts in-between not quite part of the same chain-of-thought, then you need the quoted section to see what the responder is responding to. Without it, many posts wouldn't make sense. I like to cut out the non-relevant parts and highlight just what I'm responding to, but others may be lazy and just hit the quote button and start writing. Either way, when you see bold, feel free to send your gaze downward to the new material without delay!

karlskorner
09-24-2003, 01:37 PM
I understand what you are saying, but you just proved my point, 20 + people read what I posted and you repeated it. I know you were demonstrating. but it happens again and again. I would think if I wanted to answer Game Theory, I would put his name in the Post subject box and go on from there. Those that didn't understand my reply could scroll back. It's the intellects who want to impress, that create repeated posts and than go on for 3-4 screens that say nothing, that are most guilty.

PaceAdvantage
09-24-2003, 02:40 PM
I happen to like the feature, especially if a thread gets long, and the post you are responding to is more than a few posts "away"

I don't always use it, but I find it useful in certain situations.

JustRalph
09-24-2003, 02:54 PM
Originally posted by PaceAdvantage
I happen to like the feature, especially if a thread gets long, and the post you are responding to is more than a few posts "away" I don't always use it, but I find it useful in certain situations.

Obviously.........I agree with PA.........

karlskorner
09-24-2003, 03:22 PM
O.K. I can agree with PA, if a post being referred too is several back or on a previous page, but just go back over the past few days, somebody post, the next poster repeats that message and adds their own, the following poster repeats all or part of the past 2 posts, My God, we just read those 2, is retention that bad.

JimG
09-24-2003, 03:40 PM
I normally don't read the quote, unless I don't understand the post. That saves me time.

There are times when the quote is helpful and other times it is redundant.

Jim

GameTheory
09-24-2003, 06:42 PM
Just skip over it! It is just a touchstone so you can get your bearings, you don't have to read it. It is also helpful when you come to read new posts as a refresher of what's being talked about.

Sometimes I leave out the quote, thinking that I'll be the next response down, but since I'm so long-winded someone else often posts in the time it takes for me to compose one of these gems.

Tom
09-24-2003, 07:56 PM
Originally posted by JustRalph
Obviously.........I agree with PA.........

I don't think we should EVER use the quote function! :rolleyes:

WINMANWIN
09-24-2003, 09:39 PM
Originally posted by Tom
I don't think we should EVER use the quote function! :rolleyes:

As usual Tom gets me Laughing again. :D

kenwoodallpromos
09-25-2003, 02:45 AM
Great posts! Now the intellects can I.D. themselves simply by quoting, instead of having to Tell us how smart they are! I kind of want to learn to use quotes but do not know how.
It is not the quotes that irritate me, but those who post web site addresses to begin a thread but make no comment on the website I am supposed to go to.intellects! Intellects...
Just testing! Don't worry Kos, I won't quote on threads you start!!

VetScratch
09-25-2003, 07:18 AM
Karl,

What was the original issue in this thread?

Down With Quotes!!!! :)