PDA

View Full Version : The Symposium on Racing and Gaming. No Horseplayers Allowed?

andymays
11-22-2010, 10:34 AM
http://www.ua-rtip.org/symposium/2010/symposium_2010_info.html

------------------------------------------------

It's entirely possible that maybe I'm missing something, but as I look through the Symposium information I don't see much of anything about or for Horseplayers. It kind of reminds me of a sport fishing convention and we're the fish. ;)

It seems to me that these things are all about these people patting each other on the back for the bad jobs most of them are doing and networking.

The best one for me is on California Racing. David Israel believes that Horse Racing is all about the entertainment. Not the gambling. This video is based on a true story and it is starring .....wait for it ....... wait for it...... David Israel. Yes that's right Mr. Entertainment himself. Try not to laugh. :lol:

CHRB-HANA Member Meeting Video starring David Israel. Must Watch! :ThmbUp:

http://www.xtranormal.com/watch/7386975/
------------------------------------------------------

Thursday, December 9

The State of California Racing

Speakers from the Golden State will talk about the “state of the state’s” racing industry and what they are doing to prevent or promote seismic shifts in the California racing landscape.

Moderator:
Jay Privman, National Correspondent, DRF

Speaker:
Joseph Harper, CEO, Del Mar Thoroughbred Club
David Israel, Vice Chairman, California Horse Racing Board
Norman C. Towne, Consulting and Advocacy

http://www.ua-rtip.org/symposium/2010/symposium_2010_info.html

The 37th Annual Symposium on Racing & Gaming, presented by The University of Arizona’s Race Track Industry Program, will be held December 6-9 at the Westin La Paloma Resort in Tucson, Arizona.

Igeteven
11-22-2010, 11:00 AM
Israel is one french fry short of a Happy Meal at McDonald's

johnhannibalsmith
11-22-2010, 11:15 AM
Israel is one french fry short of a Happy Meal at McDonald's

Probably the toy too.

rwwupl
11-22-2010, 11:24 AM
I hope David Israel does not embarrass himself or horse racing with drivel as he did at the September CHRB meeting at Fairplex with a staged show that indicated that horse players should pay "just to see the horses run at the track" for its entertainment value alone.

Ref: "Get Out the Lifeboats" By Bill Christine

http://www.horseraceinsider.com/west-coast-wash/09272010-get-out-the-lifeboats/

The_Knight_Sky
11-22-2010, 11:44 AM
I hope David Israel does not embarrass himself or horse racing with drivel as he did at the September CHRB meeting ....

Should that happen someone is sure to put it on YouTube and preserve it for posterity. :ThmbUp:

Stillriledup
11-22-2010, 01:47 PM
I hope David Israel does not embarrass himself or horse racing with drivel as he did at the September CHRB meeting at Fairplex with a staged show that indicated that horse players should pay "just to see the horses run at the track" for its entertainment value alone.

Ref: "Get Out the Lifeboats" By Bill Christine

http://www.horseraceinsider.com/west-coast-wash/09272010-get-out-the-lifeboats/

Oops, too late.

Saratoga_Mike
11-23-2010, 06:12 PM
It looks to me like anyone can attend this conference. You just need to pay the conference fee. How is this different from a bunch of retailers attending a retail conference that focuses on new marketing techniques and/or new retail technologies, but doesn't include panels on end customers?

rwwupl
11-23-2010, 07:08 PM
It looks to me like anyone can attend this conference. You just need to pay the conference fee. How is this different from a bunch of retailers attending a retail conference that focuses on new marketing techniques and/or new retail technologies, but doesn't include panels on end customers?

It is a symposium on Racing and Gaming

Racing people put on the show, and Gaming people make it go!.

It is all about the racing people and their plans, where are the gaming people?

Listening To David Israel tell us about California racing and its entertainment value is an insult.

Who wants to pay to see if the racing people can improve on their dismal record of failure?

rwwupl

Saratoga_Mike
11-23-2010, 07:23 PM
It is a symposium on Racing and Gaming

Racing people put on the show, and Gaming people make it go!.

It is all about the racing people and their plans, where are the gaming people?

Listening To David Israel tell us about California racing and its entertainment value is an insult.

Who wants to pay to see if the racing people can improve on their dismal record of failure?

rwwupl

Again, what's the difference between this conference and Target attending a retail conference where Target customers aren't directly addressed? I can assure you Target management attends those type conferences. Does that upset you, too? Serious question.

andymays
11-23-2010, 07:31 PM
Again, what's the difference between this conference and Target attending a retail conference where Target customers aren't directly addressed? I can assure you Target management attends those type conferences. Does that upset you, too? Serious question.

If Target lost 50% of it's business over the last 10 years and kept the same management team what would that say about the company? What would it say about a symposium that kept having some of the same people give advice to others in the industry?

Horse Racing is the greatest gambling game of skill ever invented but while other gambling games of skill have seen a 500% increase in wagering Horse Racing has seen a 50% decline in handle. Maybe the people in charge are part of the problem.

David Israel doesn't believe Horse Racing is about the gambling. He says it's about the entertainment. :rolleyes:

If you've never watched this video it's based on a true story and it's star is David Israel.

CHRB-HANA Member Meeting

Saratoga_Mike
11-23-2010, 07:39 PM
If Target lost 50% of it's business over the last 10 years and kept the same management team what would that say about the company? What would it say about a symposium that kept having some of the same people give advice to others in the industry?

Horse Racing is the greatest gambling game of skill ever invented but while other gambling games of skill have seen a 500% increase in wagering Horse Racing has seen a 50% decline in handle. Maybe the people in charge are part of the problem.

David Israel doesn't believe Horse Racing is about the gambling. He says it's about the entertainment. :rolleyes:

If you've never watched this video it's based on a true story and it's star is David Israel.

CHRB-HANA Member Meeting

First, I love those videos.

But I still see no issue with the horse racing industry holding a conference without holding panels specifically tailored to the end customers. It isn't any different than any other industry conference, regardless of the state of the industry. I guess we just disagree. Please suggest two to three panels that you'd like to see at this conference???

andymays
11-23-2010, 07:42 PM
First, I love those videos.

But I still see no issue with the horse racing industry holding a conference without holding panels specifically tailored to the end customers. It isn't any different than any other industry conference, regardless of the state of the industry. I guess we just disagree. Please suggest two to three panels that you'd like to see at this conference???

I put a question mark next to the statement "No Horseplayers Allowed". I'm sure Horseplayers can go if they pay the fees. I understand the fees for a booth are pretty high. I added that because the Horse Racing Industry is one of the worst when it comes to listening to their customers.

Saratoga_Mike
11-23-2010, 07:46 PM
I put a question mark next to the statement "No Horseplayers Allowed". I'm sure Horseplayers can go if they pay the fees. I understand the fees for a booth are pretty high. I added that because the Horse Racing Industry is one of the worst when it comes to listening to their customers.

And your suggested panels?

andymays
11-23-2010, 07:48 PM
And your suggested panels?

Believe it or not someone needs to teach most of the people who run the sport about gambling. Most of them see it as entertainment.

Saratoga_Mike
11-23-2010, 08:02 PM
Believe it or not someone needs to teach most of the people who run the sport about gambling. Most of them see it as entertainment.

So you would hold a panel on gambling from the customer's perspective? What else?

andymays
11-23-2010, 08:07 PM
So you would hold a panel on gambling from the customer's perspective? What else?

That's the biggest problem. I don't know if you follow California Racing and have ever listened to a CHRB meeting but this is a big problem. I was on a conference call with a few Horseplayers and a couple of members of the Thoroughbred Owners of California and they indicated that they were in the process of hiring someone to teach them about gambling. I know it sounds crazy but it's the truth. The TOC is the driving force behind the takeout raise out here and the retention cap which prevents players in California from receiving significant rebates. Too many of the people running the sport don't get it. If betting on Horse Races was a good bet then it would be thriving.

Saratoga_Mike
11-23-2010, 08:15 PM
That's the biggest problem. I don't know if you follow California Racing and have ever listened to a CHRB meeting but this is a big problem. I was on a conference call with a few Horseplayers and a couple of members of the Thoroughbred Owners of California and they indicated that they were in the process of hiring someone to teach them about gambling. I know it sounds crazy but it's the truth. Too many of the people running the sport don't get it. If betting on Horse Races was a good bet then it would be thriving.

I don't follow California racing. I did on the margin prior to the synthetic switch. With the switch back, I might watch it a little more (up from not at all).

Isn't this the industry event that Steve Crist and some other bettor-friendly people have held panel discussions at in the past?

andymays
11-23-2010, 08:18 PM
I don't follow California racing. I did on the margin prior to the synthetic switch. With the switch back, I might watch it a little more (up from not at all).

Isn't this the industry event that Steve Crist and some other bettor-friendly people have held panel discussions at in the past?

Don't know. I'm sure there is some good stuff at the symposium. If he did speak there they didn't get the message about being bettor-friendly.

toussaud
11-23-2010, 09:52 PM
I see both ends.

It would be like best buy asking it's clients to come to a retail conference or ford asking it's clients to come to the north American auto show or something like that.

The difference being however, they actually know a thing or two about their clients. our industry doesn't. They spend hundreds of millions of dollars a year to figure out exactly what we think, want, pretend to want but don't want, will pay for, will not pay for, exactly how to place what where... that damn bag of chex mix and pop get me everytime at best buy. every last time.

you walk in a race track, consider yourself lucky if you can figure out how to do everything at all

Stillriledup
11-23-2010, 10:42 PM
Here's the mistake that Israel is making. He feels racing is entertainment first, but what he fails to realize it that the only time racing is actually some form of entertainment, is when Zenyatta is racing in the Breeders Cup going for 20 in a row. People WILL go to see her as a form of entertainment, they're not all there to bet.

But, 99.9% of all the thoroughbred races that are carded, ESPECIALLY in Mr Israel's home state, are carded strictly for gambling purposes. For every person who's going to Santa Anita to see random horses run in circles, the other 99 people are there to gamble on the races and only care about wins or losses.

THIS is what Mr Israel fails to realize.

thaskalos
11-23-2010, 11:14 PM
I see both ends.

It would be like best buy asking it's clients to come to a retail conference or ford asking it's clients to come to the north American auto show or something like that.

The difference being however, they actually know a thing or two about their clients. our industry doesn't. They spend hundreds of millions of dollars a year to figure out exactly what we think, want, pretend to want but don't want, will pay for, will not pay for, exactly how to place what where... that damn bag of chex mix and pop get me everytime at best buy. every last time.

you walk in a race track, consider yourself lucky if you can figure out how to do everything at allHorse racing is neither a retail business like Best Buy or Ford...nor is it a form of entertainment.

When we go shopping at Best Buy or at a car dealership, we get a certain amount of value for the money that we spend...and we go home with products that we can actually use. The same can hardly be said about our visits to the racetracks...from which, the vast majority of the players return with empty pockets...and nothing to show for their "donations".

Can an argument be made that horseracing is a form of entertainment then?

Well...that isn't so hard to determine. We can compare the attitude of the players as they file out of the racetracks and OTBs, with the demeanor of the crowds as they file out of other entertainment businesses, like theaters and baseball stadiums...do the horseplayers appear to have been as entertained as the other folks seem to be? Of course not!

Horse racing is strictly a gambling game, and that makes it imperative that its leaders be well informed about gambling and gamblers. As a gambling game, THEIR success is directly dependent to OUR success...and if they don't soon wise up and transform this game into a better "gamble" than it currently is...they will soon be left with no customers at all.

Horseplayersbet.com
11-24-2010, 08:21 AM
The big difference between retail or marketing conferences in any other industry versus this symposium is that no matter what the product or product line is for other industries, those attending are consumers too and most likely own the products they are discussing.

Horse racing is about gambling and it only makes sense to have gamblers to have a major say in how the industry acts.

andymays
12-07-2010, 08:19 AM
The big difference between retail or marketing conferences in any other industry versus this symposium is that no matter what the product or product line is for other industries, those attending are consumers too and most likely own the products they are discussing.

Horse racing is about gambling and it only makes sense to have gamblers to have a major say in how the industry acts.

Let's hope we have some reporters asking tough questions about the gambling part of Horse Racing. In particular I would like someone to ask David Israel of the CHRB about it on Thursday.

andymays
12-07-2010, 08:46 AM
Big Event Blog: Marketing the wagering product

http://blog-beb.thoroughbredtimes.com/2010/12/marketing-wagering-product.html

Excerpt:

In preparing to cover this year's Symposium on Racing and Gaming I was pleased to see that—in setting the agenda—the University of Arizona's Race Track Industry Program emphasized not only the racing aspect of that couplet but also as part of that a favorite topic of mine: marketing the wagering product.

andymays
12-07-2010, 02:47 PM
Evans: Optimism, But Not Without Changes | BloodHorse.com

http://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing/articles/60240/evans-optimism-but-not-without-changes

Excerpt:

Churchill Downs Inc. president and chief executive officer Bob Evans said Dec. 7 there are reasons to be optimistic about the future of horse racing—but not without major changes in the way the industry does business.
Evans, the keynote speaker at the University of Arizona Symposium on Racing and Gaming in Tucson, Ariz., cited alternative gaming, improved balance sheets, technology, a market for quality racing, and innovation geared toward customers as positives. The key, he said, is dealing with changes in supply and demand.

“It’s going to be different, but there is room for a lot of optimism,” Evans said.

Read more: http://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing/articles/60240/evans-optimism-but-not-without-changes#ixzz17SOgVc8W

InsideThePylons-MW
12-07-2010, 03:21 PM
Evans: Optimism, But Not Without Changes | BloodHorse.com
Excerpt:

Churchill Downs Inc. president and chief executive officer Bob Evans said Dec. 7 there are reasons to be optimistic about the future of horse racing—but not without major changes in the way the industry does business.

“It’s going to be different, but there is room for a lot of optimism,” Evans said.

Hilarious stuff.

This coming from a guy who is doing his best to destroy racing through numerous actions.

1. Creating a monopoly to....1. restrict access to signals 2. control incoming signals and the price they pay for them 3. raise host fees which eliminate or drastically lower incentives for horseplayers 4. all but end any chance of a reduction of takeout ever due to the host fee increases.

2. Become an ADW monopoly.

3. Control pricing and signal distribution so that other ADW's will find it hard to compete and either cave-in or go out of business.

4. Shift on-track money to ADW owned by CDI which results in no revenue for horsemen and huge profits for CDI.

5. Eliminate rebates for any horseplayer not betting a million per year through enforcement which includes threats and intimidation toward horseplayer friendly ADW's.

So basically CDI and Evans go out of their way to fvck horseplayers and horsemen, which he easily gets away with, so obviously he is optimistic about the future.

andymays
12-07-2010, 03:24 PM
Hilarious stuff.

This coming from a guy who is doing his best to destroy racing through numerous actions.

1. Creating a monopoly to....1. restrict access to signals 2. control incoming signals and the price they pay for them 3. raise host fees which eliminate or drastically lower incentives for horseplayers 4. all but end any chance of a reduction of takeout ever due to the host fee increases.

3. Control pricing and signal distribution so that other ADW's will find it hard to compete and either cave-in or go out of business.

4. Shift on-track money to ADW owned by CDI which results in no revenue for horsemen and huge profits for CDI.

5. Eliminate rebates for any horseplayer not betting a million per year through enforcement which includes threats and intimidation toward horseplayer friendly ADW's.

So basically CDI and Evans go out of their way to fvck horseplayers and horsemen, which he easily gets away with, so obviously he is optimistic about the future.

There is basically nobody there to challenge anyone on their statements. They get to spin as much as they want.

That's the reason for the thread and the poll I started.

http://www.paceadvantage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=78012

Horseplayersbet.com
12-07-2010, 03:57 PM
Consolidation of the price of the product will work wonders. Consolidation of racing though will backfire big time, as much of horse racing is subsidized, and needs to be. Consolidate and governments will not give racing welfare status anymore because there just won't be enough people employed by the industry.

DeanT
12-07-2010, 04:35 PM
Hilarious stuff.

I'd love to see someone from CDI come and refute points one through five.

They'd have to be damn good.

andymays
12-07-2010, 04:39 PM
I'd love to see someone from CDI come and refute points one through five.

They'd have to be damn good.

That's exactly why we need our own reporters.

andymays
12-08-2010, 11:58 AM
Tote protocols stall international simulcast growth - Thoroughbred Times

http://www.thoroughbredtimes.com/national-news/2010/12/08/tote-protocols-stall-growth.aspx

Excerpt:

There is demand throughout the world for races from other countries, but issues related to differences in tote protocol between countries have stymied wagering outlets from supplying customers with international content.

A panel of international simulcasting providers discussed their frustration during a Tuesday morning session at the University of Arizona Race Track Industry Program’s Symposium on Racing and Gaming.