PDA

View Full Version : Spin-off thread: Who makes the best store-bought burger?

Dave Schwartz
11-21-2010, 07:24 PM
Since so many seemed to enjoy the other burger thread, I thought I'd start this one.

Think of it as two types:
Fast food Burger King, Carl's, etc.

Gourmet Outback steakhouse, Fudrucker's, etc.

InsideThePylons-MW
11-21-2010, 07:34 PM
Fast Food = Culver's Butter Burger or In N Out

Gourmet = Lucille's BBQ

witchdoctor
11-21-2010, 07:34 PM
These are pretty good at the Burger Bar. Especially the Rossini.

http://www.burgerbarlv.com/

PhantomOnTour
11-21-2010, 07:45 PM
New place in town called Burgersmith's. They have something like 24 different blends of beef to choose from. A burger, fries and drink will run ya about $22 :eek:

PICSIX
11-21-2010, 07:47 PM
5 Guys Burgers & Fries!!

Overlay
11-21-2010, 08:18 PM
I can't remember the name (maybe if they're still in business someone from the New York City area can help me out), but when I worked in midtown Manhattan in the mid-70's, there was a burger chain that made the best burger (particularly cheeseburgers, where the cheese was served as a melted sauce rather than a slice) that I've ever had. I believe their slogan was something like "where burgs are better", and I think I remember their logo as a line drawing of the head of a winking chef. I used to go there for lunch when I worked at Brentano's bookstore. They made lunch the best part of the day.

GaryG
11-21-2010, 08:24 PM
In-N-Out for sure. I just wish they had them in the southeast. I start thinking about them whenever I get close to the CA line. Maybe the reason they are so good is that they aren't (or weren't the last I heard) franchised, all company operated. Now I am hungry.

Dave Schwartz
11-21-2010, 08:45 PM
Gary,

In-n-out's are all company stores. Always have been. Very Christian family owns them. They pay a fair wage (for fast food), have manager training and good benefits.

And you're right. They are excellent. Try the fries "animal style."

My choice for "gourmet-at-a-good-price:" Outback. Seriously great Tenderloin burger is $9.

Dave

Rookies
11-21-2010, 09:22 PM
Fat Burger

chickenhead
11-21-2010, 09:49 PM
In and out and 5 guys both make nice burgers. For everywhere chains, I go with Wendys and carls Jr.

witchdoctor
11-21-2010, 10:37 PM
Smashburgers are pretty good.

http://www.smashburger.com/

dylbert
11-22-2010, 12:19 AM
Fast Food: Wendy's especially Black & Bleu burger

Gourmet: Fuddrucker's especially one located inside Louisiana Downs!

TJDave
11-22-2010, 02:58 AM
Johnnie's Charcoal Broiler, Oklahoma City.

And...The best damn Onion Rings on the planet.

lamboguy
11-22-2010, 03:13 AM
I can't remember the name (maybe if they're still in business someone from the New York City area can help me out), but when I worked in midtown Manhattan in the mid-70's, there was a burger chain that made the best burger (particularly cheeseburgers, where the cheese was served as a melted sauce rather than a slice) that I've ever had. I believe their slogan was something like "where burgs are better", and I think I remember their logo as a line drawing of the head of a winking chef. I used to go there for lunch when I worked at Brentano's bookstore. They made lunch the best part of the day.was it called "fudruckers"?

Overlay
11-22-2010, 07:16 AM
was it called "fudruckers"?

No, I know Fuddruckers, although I've never been to one. (I'll have to try them sometime.) The place that I have in mind wasn't that large, just a small outlet on the south side of (I believe) West 45th Street, between Fifth Avenue and Sixth Avenue (Avenue of the Americas). (I'm talking 35 years ago, so that's a lot of time gone by.)

JustRalph
11-22-2010, 08:13 AM
No, I know Fuddruckers, although I've never been to one. (I'll have to try them sometime.) The place that I have in mind wasn't that large, just a small outlet on the south side of (I believe) West 45th Street, between Fifth Avenue and Sixth Avenue (Avenue of the Americas). (I'm talking 35 years ago, so that's a lot of time gone by.)

maybe this place........

Overlay
11-22-2010, 08:23 AM
Sounds good, but I don't think it's the one I have in mind.

Don't bother searching. Maybe it'll come to me in a dream.

ldiatone
11-22-2010, 10:11 AM
the burgers i make :) but i like Red Robins burgers.

andicap
11-22-2010, 10:22 AM
Fat Burger

Amen!

Also Johnny Rockets is good for a chain and in NYC Jackson Hole makes a great burger.

Fast food - Wendy's is undoubtedly the best. (with a good chili and Frosty as well. McD's wins for fries.)

BlueShoe
11-22-2010, 11:11 AM
Chains not cared for: McDonalds, Burger King, Jack in the Box.
Chains liked: Carls, Wendys.
Chain not tried yet but on the list: 5 Guys.
Chain overated but still okay: In n Out.
Chain top rated: Fatburger. Expensive, but the best chain burger.
Gourmet: ?? No opinion. Refuse to pay a premium. No burger is worth $10 or more.

andymays
11-22-2010, 11:18 AM
the burgers i make :) but i like Red Robins burgers.

Agree about Red Robin. :ThmbUp:

wisconsin
11-22-2010, 01:52 PM
1) Fuddruckers. It's good beef, but the grilled bun makes it the bomb.

2) Culver's.

3) Wendy's.

4) In N out. Fries too under-cooked for me. But that's another thread.

5) Hardees/Carls Jr. Only the Sourdough burger.

Tom
11-22-2010, 02:08 PM
Tom Wahl's - local place. Very good old fashioned burger and fries.
And homemade root beer in frosted mugs. yum.

CBedo
11-22-2010, 08:00 PM
Fast Food: FatBurger

Gourmet: Hut's Hamburgers in Austin & Cherry Cricket in Denver.

witchdoctor
11-22-2010, 08:02 PM
Johnnie's Charcoal Broiler, Oklahoma City.

And...The best damn Onion Rings on the planet.

I don't care for their burgers but I love their onion rings.