PDA

View Full Version : Woodbine outrider -good or bad -todays 7th race

picojim
11-21-2010, 06:32 PM
yes he makes a tremendous save..but slightly interferes with a horse

qqNH3qOCom8

johnhannibalsmith
11-21-2010, 06:38 PM
Excellent move. I can't imagine how without his actions the "best case scenario" would have been any less a problem than the outrider was.

trackrat59
11-21-2010, 06:39 PM
Great catch by the outrider. He was in close at the back of the pack but I really didn't see any of the other horses ever react to him/her being there. I don't think it was interference at all.

Tom
11-21-2010, 06:52 PM
Nice catch!
He earned his pay today.

jballscalls
11-21-2010, 07:10 PM
could have been way worse if he didn't catch that horse. and the contact he made with that horse looked completely minimal. great catch

Stillriledup
11-21-2010, 07:19 PM
I'm assuming they refunded the 8 horse who got brushed by the outrider horse, which was obviously the right thing to do. Nobody can ever say Wdb isnt looking out for the player.

PaceAdvantage
11-21-2010, 07:34 PM
What would Matt Carothers say? (WWMCS?)

"That was aggressive."

Good job by the outrider, but doesn't anyone else think this is a little too extreme? Honestly, how many racing disasters can you recall being caused by a loose horse? I've seen plenty of loose horses recently, and I can't recall one causing any sort of major problem...in fact, I dare say that outrider could have caused more problems than that loose horse had things played out slightly differently.

PaceAdvantage
11-21-2010, 07:36 PM
I'm assuming they refunded the 8 horse who got brushed by the outrider horse, which was obviously the right thing to do. Nobody can ever say Wdb isnt looking out for the player.I would hope they didn't refund a dime on that 8.

PhantomOnTour
11-21-2010, 07:51 PM
That's about the 3rd time this year I've seen a WO outrider go get one like that. Great job, and no refund on the #8 is in order in my opinion.

johnhannibalsmith
11-21-2010, 08:03 PM
I'm assuming they refunded the 8 horse who got brushed by the outrider horse, which was obviously the right thing to do. Nobody can ever say Wdb isnt looking out for the player.

Sharp handicappers would have predicted the incident. Why punish them?

Stillriledup
11-21-2010, 08:50 PM
Sharp handicappers would have predicted the incident. Why punish them?

:lol:

Stillriledup
11-21-2010, 08:53 PM
What would Matt Carothers say? (WWMCS?)

"That was aggressive."

Good job by the outrider, but doesn't anyone else think this is a little too extreme? Honestly, how many racing disasters can you recall being caused by a loose horse? I've seen plenty of loose horses recently, and I can't recall one causing any sort of major problem...in fact, I dare say that outrider could have caused more problems than that loose horse had things played out slightly differently.

There was a race at Del Mar that caused a bunch of problems with a loose animal. It was the 9th race on Aug 8th if you wanna watch it.

PaceAdvantage
11-21-2010, 09:36 PM
There was a race at Del Mar that caused a bunch of problems with a loose animal. It was the 9th race on Aug 8th if you wanna watch it.Oh, I'm sorry. I didn't realize I had stated trouble NEVER comes from having a loose horse in a race...

Oh, that's right, I DIDN'T write such a thing at all.

What I was saying was I believe as much trouble can come from what that outrider did out there, as can come from having a loose horse out there. Loose horses usually run their race, believe it or not...and they surprisingly win what seems to be a large number of races, giving credence to the "weight off" theory... :lol:

Stillriledup
11-21-2010, 09:43 PM
Oh, I'm sorry. I didn't realize I had stated trouble NEVER comes from having a loose horse in a race...

Oh, that's right, I DIDN'T write such a thing at all.

What I was saying was I believe as much trouble can come from what that outrider did out there, as can come from having a loose horse out there. Loose horses usually run their race, believe it or not...and they surprisingly win what seems to be a large number of races, giving credence to the "weight off" theory... :lol:

You said you can't recall one, so i did you a favor and recalled one FOR you.

WASNT THAT NICE OF ME? :sleeping:

PaceAdvantage
11-21-2010, 09:46 PM
You said you can't recall one, so i did you a favor and recalled one FOR you.

WASNT THAT NICE OF ME? :sleeping:Can't recall one recently. I suppose three months to me isn't all that recent...and love the emoticon choice considering what I wrote to you on that other thread... :lol:

Stillriledup
11-21-2010, 09:49 PM
Can't recall one recently. I suppose three months to me isn't all that recent...and love the emoticon choice considering what I wrote to you on that other thread... :lol:

I knew you would like that!

nearco
11-21-2010, 10:52 PM
could have been way worse if he didn't catch that horse. and the contact he made with that horse looked completely minimal. great catch

Could have been way worse? I have literally seen hundreds, probably thousands of loose horses in my decades watching racing, sometimes 4 or more in a race (hell, in the Grand National, you can have 10 or more running loose at any one time). I'm racking my brains trying to remember all the "way worse" incidents they caused. Do they cause interference, yeah sure, but that's part of racing.
I saw a race one time at Colonial where an outrider went flying after a horse and in the process wiped out two mounted horses in his over zealousness. Nice catch by the guy today, but if things hadn't gone just right he could well have caused way more problems than the loose horse would have.
Let them run loose, they are herd animals, it's what they do.

Horseplayersbet.com
11-22-2010, 09:26 AM
The obvious thing I take from this video is that the paces are so phony on polytrack in route races that a pony with a 180? pound rider can go a lot faster than the field in the first quarter mile.

JustRalph
11-22-2010, 11:39 AM
The obvious thing I take from this video is that the paces are so phony on polytrack in route races that a pony with a 180? pound rider can go a lot faster than the field in the first quarter mile.

I don't think that's germane. The pony only has to run for a couple hundred yards. Those other horses could probably all out run him if it were a race of a furlong or so...........but the pony has an advantage. He doesn't have to do a mile or more.

The last time we saw this from Woodbine the pony was discovered to be a former maiden who actually had some decent breeding if I remember right? He couldn't get it done at any distance but had some early speed. I would think that would be the perfect horse for these assignments.

johnhannibalsmith
11-22-2010, 12:16 PM
... He couldn't get it done at any distance but had some early speed. I would think that would be the perfect horse for these assignments.

Yep... a good outrider looks bad when he's poorly mounted and a bad outrider looks good when he's well mounted.

It's one of the nicest thing about watching some of the best tracks, you get to enjoy the outstanding work of excellent riders that are extremely well-mounted. I think that it's a tremendously underappreciated component of the races. I genuinely can watch an outrider make a great catch on a cool old quarterhorse and have it totally overshadow everything else as the best performance of the day.