PDA

View Full Version : Russell Baze is the best jockey.

Stillriledup
11-21-2010, 05:27 PM
I know you'll say that he doesnt ride at the bigger tracks, but let me tell you why he's the best jock. Russell is the best rider because he's one of the only guys who actually handicaps the races PROPERLY and his rides according to each horse as an individual. If he's on a stalker and there's a ton of speed in the race, he knows this and sits back. Most other riders just grab the reins and ride without any regard to the specific situation. He's the smartest jockey out there.

I know that his competition is pretty average, but he still seems to always be in the right position, moreso than anyone else, and you have to appreciate that when you're betting. You know with him you're not going to get a dumb ride.

Bullet Plane
11-21-2010, 05:34 PM
I don't watch enough races out there to know the difference. But, I did notice that when he was injured, the guy that took his place (the same jockey agent) did about as well.

Also, at Arlington, there is a jockey agent who books rides, and whoever rides for him is the leading jockey. One guy leaves, goes on to better things, and you think...well, now there will be one hell of a scramble for top jock. Then some new guy that works for this agent comes in..and guess what?
He's leading jockey.

Anyway, that's what I've noticed.

Stillriledup
11-21-2010, 06:01 PM
I don't watch enough races out there to know the difference. But, I did notice that when he was injured, the guy that took his place (the same jockey agent) did about as well.

Also, at Arlington, there is a jockey agent who books rides, and whoever rides for him is the leading jockey. One guy leaves, goes on to better things, and you think...well, now there will be one hell of a scramble for top jock. Then some new guy that works for this agent comes in..and guess what?
He's leading jockey.

Anyway, that's what I've noticed.

I know what you're saying, but here's the thing. Russel can be counted on to ride one specific horse great. If you have one bet, and you have your life savings on that one last bet you plan on making in your lifetime, and you bet Russell, you're going to get a great ride. You can count on any one specific race to be Russell's best, but with the other guys, they just compile up great stats because of numbers. Top guys like Bejarano (for example)will win tons of races also, but you can't count on Raffy to ride one specific race great....he'll ride bad on occasion and just lose races because his head isn't in the game (or whatever). You can count on Russell to ride great if you've got the 'right' horse, that's what i like about him over these other top riders out there.

exactatom
11-21-2010, 06:14 PM
I think about Baze the same way I do about Jerry Hollendorfer. The wins against the Northern California/fair competition should be netted out of the records when determining their greatness. I hear a lot of talk about Hollendorfer being Hall of Fame material, but here is a guy who has done most of his damage in the minor leagues. We do not include a MLB's minor totals in considering him for Coopersotwn.

cj
11-21-2010, 06:26 PM
It is hard to get in trouble in 6 horse fields.

Stillriledup
11-21-2010, 06:28 PM
It is hard to get in trouble in 6 horse fields.

Bejarano gets in trouble more than Baze in similarly short fields.

Stillriledup
11-21-2010, 06:30 PM
I think about Baze the same way I do about Jerry Hollendorfer. The wins against the Northern California/fair competition should be netted out of the records when determining their greatness. I hear a lot of talk about Hollendorfer being Hall of Fame material, but here is a guy who has done most of his damage in the minor leagues. We do not include a MLB's minor totals in considering him for Coopersotwn.

Wins are wins according to the record books. I know what you're saying, a lot of people are still saying Laffit is the all time leading rider in wins, they don't count Russell or anyone who's riding in the minors. You're points are valid.

cj
11-21-2010, 06:32 PM
Bejarano gets in trouble more than Baze in similarly short fields.

I never claimed he was the best though.

dansan
11-21-2010, 06:33 PM
when he's on the favorite 95% of the time its hard not to win wish he would retire

dansan
11-21-2010, 06:49 PM
baze rarely brings these home to win 4mtp

Bullet Plane
11-21-2010, 07:19 PM
I think the best way to judge jockey talent is to see who brings in the 20-1, 30-1 shots. Baze and GoGo, bringing in the 6-5 shots...doesn't really impress me. I'm not saying they suck, but, they are not really much better than any other jockey.
When I make a play, I don't care who is riding. Since they well known ones take more money at the windows, and don't really have that much of a talent edge, it all equals out.

Stillriledup
11-21-2010, 07:22 PM
I think the best way to judge jockey talent is to see who brings in the 20-1, 30-1 shots. Baze and GoGo, bringing in the 6-5 shots...doesn't really impress me. I'm not saying they suck, but, they are not really much better than any other jockey.
When I make a play, I don't care who is riding. Since they well known ones take more money at the windows, and don't really have that much of a talent edge, it all equals out.

Actually the best way to see jockey talent is to study videotapes and not look at statistics. Stats lie sometimes, but your eyes don't. If you see it on tape, it happened.

Bullet Plane
11-21-2010, 07:40 PM
I don't want to study jockey talent. Like I said; one is about the same as any other. The ones getting the live mounts are bet down.

If I study a replay I look for hidden "horse" talent....not jockey talent. It's about the horse, not the jockey. Of course, that is only my opinion. And different handicappers will look at different things. I'm just not a "jockey" handicapper. Because the public betting depends so much on the jockey, I don't see much percentage in following along with them.

Dan Montilion
11-21-2010, 07:45 PM

Winner of the Kentucky Oaks three times. Won the Santa Anita Handicap. No doubt it took him a while to move onto the national scene but his work since then says hall of fame.

dansan
11-21-2010, 08:24 PM
dude are talking about baze from GG because the baze I know couldnt cut it down in socal and came back to northern cal

domino1891
11-22-2010, 09:10 AM
It's hard to argue with his statistics. He has accumulated 11,098 wins as of yesterday.

The_Knight_Sky
11-22-2010, 09:52 AM
Stillriledup wrote:

Most other riders just grab the reins and ride
without any regard to the specific situation.

He's the smartest jockey out there.

He's shrewd indeed.
There have been only three jockeys that have made an impression on me while on the racetrack. Jerrry Bailey. Pat Day. Russell The Muscle Baze.

It's obvious that he's prepared himself through the past performances and personal notes. I don't think a vast majority of the riders out there are able to read the past performances and react on the racetrack as well as Baze does. As a matter of fact I think many of the riders at any racetrack just show up out of the jockeys room and take instructions from the trainer
before getting a leg up. That's no route to success.

MONEY
11-22-2010, 10:21 AM
I don't want to study jockey talent. Like I said; one is about the same as any other. The ones getting the live mounts are bet down.

I won't bet on a horse ridden by Lucie Herkova, no matter how good it looks in film or on paper. We would have never heard of Blame or Zenyatta had Herkova been their regular rider.

Stillriledup
11-22-2010, 01:50 PM
Stillriledup wrote:

Most other riders just grab the reins and ride
without any regard to the specific situation.

He's the smartest jockey out there.

He's shrewd indeed.
There have been only three jockeys that have made an impression on me while on the racetrack. Jerrry Bailey. Pat Day. Russell The Muscle Baze.

It's obvious that he's prepared himself through the past performances and personal notes. I don't think a vast majority of the riders out there are able to read the past performances and react on the racetrack as well as Baze does. As a matter of fact I think many of the riders at any racetrack just show up out of the jockeys room and take instructions from the trainer
before getting a leg up. That's no route to success.

100 percent true. Baze is head and shoulders above other riders in riding specifically for the situation. In other words, if he's on a 40-1 shot (not that he ever rides 40-1 shots, but i needed some example to use), he doesn't send him dueling into the pace like he's 3-5, you wouldnt believe how many other riders don't have any clue their 'chances' going into a race. Most of these jocks are probably just drinking the kool aid and listen to exhuberant owners or trainers when they tell them 'training great, give him a shot to win'.

gm10
11-22-2010, 03:17 PM
I know you'll say that he doesnt ride at the bigger tracks, but let me tell you why he's the best jock. Russell is the best rider because he's one of the only guys who actually handicaps the races PROPERLY and his rides according to each horse as an individual. If he's on a stalker and there's a ton of speed in the race, he knows this and sits back. Most other riders just grab the reins and ride without any regard to the specific situation. He's the smartest jockey out there.

I know that his competition is pretty average, but he still seems to always be in the right position, moreso than anyone else, and you have to appreciate that when you're betting. You know with him you're not going to get a dumb ride.

Have to agree with you. He handicaps his races and he gets rewarded for it.

Stillriledup
11-22-2010, 03:51 PM
Have to agree with you. He handicaps his races and he gets rewarded for it.

Thanks.

I follow Golden Gate pretty seriously and i handicap those races and watch more GG replays than most people and what Russell does is outstanding. I find myself betting against him a lot because i try to stay away from 3-5 shots, but i do often lose to him because he just outrode my guy. And, he doesnt 'give up' on beaten horses, i can't tell you how many times he was beat for the win with 70 yards to go and rode the hair off the horse for a minor check to beat my tri or super. He's no Desormeaux, that's for sure.

gm10
11-22-2010, 04:14 PM
Thanks.

I follow Golden Gate pretty seriously and i handicap those races and watch more GG replays than most people and what Russell does is outstanding. I find myself betting against him a lot because i try to stay away from 3-5 shots, but i do often lose to him because he just outrode my guy. And, he doesnt 'give up' on beaten horses, i can't tell you how many times he was beat for the win with 70 yards to go and rode the hair off the horse for a minor check to beat my tri or super. He's no Desormeaux, that's for sure.

I'm with you. I only follow GG on some days, certainly a lot more since they have Tapeta, but it became clear to me a long time ago that Baze is just smarter and more professional than the others by a large factor. I like GG, you know where you are with that track. Baze will do what he needs to do, and the track will be fair. It used to be even better when the Miranda brothers were riding more often. They call one of them Krusty the Clown over here (I forget which one).

Stillriledup
11-22-2010, 04:44 PM
I'm with you. I only follow GG on some days, certainly a lot more since they have Tapeta, but it became clear to me a long time ago that Baze is just smarter and more professional than the others by a large factor. I like GG, you know where you are with that track. Baze will do what he needs to do, and the track will be fair. It used to be even better when the Miranda brothers were riding more often. They call one of them Krusty the Clown over here (I forget which one).

You mean A Miranda, the guy with the 'weird' way of sitting on a horse? He was the guy who was the head bobber....kind of like GF Almeida rode in So Cal. I hate betting on guys who 'look bad' on a horse, A Miranda was one of them.

gm10
11-22-2010, 04:58 PM
You mean A Miranda, the guy with the 'weird' way of sitting on a horse? He was the guy who was the head bobber....kind of like GF Almeida rode in So Cal. I hate betting on guys who 'look bad' on a horse, A Miranda was one of them.

yes it was Alfredo
he was on the biggest win bet I ever placed and he actually won - gave me a few heart attacks though

Stillriledup
11-22-2010, 05:02 PM
yes it was Alfredo
he was on the biggest win bet I ever placed and he actually won - gave me a few heart attacks though

Did Fredo retire? I haven't seen him around riding anywhere.

gm10
11-22-2010, 05:39 PM
Did Fredo retire? I haven't seen him around riding anywhere.

Hmmm not sure what happened. Been nearly a year since he had a ride.

dansan
11-22-2010, 07:59 PM
he's at the bottom of lake tahoe he's swimming with the fishes oh crap wrong fredo

JohnGalt1
11-22-2010, 08:28 PM
A few years ago on our local sports radio station James Ochs (?) was interviewed. A caller asked if he had a weaker race. Ochs said he was only slightly above average on the turf.

If you have Formulator or Ultimate Bris jockey stats, you can verify if that's still true.

If you notice, many times Hollendorfer doesn't use him on his turf horses.

In the 2009 Claiming Crown he brought home two winners that paid about $17 and $23.

chickenhead
11-22-2010, 08:58 PM
Baze always rides a horse hard and puts them into the race, which is why he has success, but I don't think he'd great tactically. He doesn't strike me as someone with much of a clock in his head.

Market Mover
11-22-2010, 09:04 PM
I won't bet on a horse ridden by Lucie Herkova, no matter how good it looks in film or on paper. We would have never heard of Blame or Zenyatta had Herkova been their regular rider.

She does best when riding a plodder taking the inside route at huge odds at Tampa or Suffolk.
Very rarely, she brings in 50-1 bombs to win. Does anyone have her current up to date stats and yearly stats? Thanks.

Market Mover
11-22-2010, 09:07 PM

While we are on the subject, could anyone list the names of jocks who ride in a simliar fashion? I've seen what you're mentioning with G.F. Almeida (what happened to him?), and the SoCal circuit was notorioius for these head bobbers. I believe Johnny V does the occasional bob on the NYRA circuit when he tries to rein in that speed early. Any others? And links to youtube vids to prove it may help...

johnhannibalsmith
11-22-2010, 09:12 PM
Terry Gard.

Stillriledup
11-23-2010, 02:57 AM
While we are on the subject, could anyone list the names of jocks who ride in a simliar fashion? I've seen what you're mentioning with G.F. Almeida (what happened to him?), and the SoCal circuit was notorioius for these head bobbers. I believe Johnny V does the occasional bob on the NYRA circuit when he tries to rein in that speed early. Any others? And links to youtube vids to prove it may help...

Miranda and Almieda are head bobbers and i'm sure that a few with less talent from smaller tracks ride in the same style. Good question, i know i've seen a few of these bobber-types, but can't think of any off hand.

I think GF is an exercise rider in So Cal, he works quite a few horses but maybe his weight is too high to ride in the afternoons? I don't know, or, maybe he was injured and had to retire? He's still around working horses as far as i know.

TJC
11-23-2010, 04:28 AM
You can get jockey, trainer, and horse stats at Equibase.com

There is a search box on the left side of the main page

TJC

gm10
11-27-2010, 03:50 PM
The opener @ GG today was textbook Baze. Read the script exactly right pace-wise, then pretended he wanted to go round the outside but shot through at the rail moments later and stole a march. Brilliantly simple.

andymays
11-27-2010, 04:07 PM
The opener @ GG today was textbook Baze. Read the script exactly right pace-wise, then pretended he wanted to go round the outside but shot through at the rail moments later and stole a march. Brilliantly simple.

Yes, it reminded me of Lafitt Pincay Jr. winning the Belmont on Caveat. :) :rolleyes:

Sericm
11-28-2010, 05:31 AM
Russell Baze is a top jockey on a minor circuit. He couldn't cut it in Southern California.
How many Kentucky Derbys, Preakness, Belmonts, or Breeders Cup has he ridden in and won?.How many times does he get a call to ride a quality Horse from top trainers?
If Martin Garcia, or Joel Rosario had stayed up North Baze wouldn't be winning as much as he does.

If Lafitt Pincay had ridden that circuit all those years he probably would have had 20,000 wins.

The two best Jockeys were:
1. Willie Shoemaker
2. Lafitt Pincay

After those two take your pick.

Stillriledup
12-02-2010, 05:11 PM
Here's a PERFECT example of what i'm talking about. Take a glance at today's 4th race from Hollywood Park (Dec 2) . In this race, is an 11-1 shot named My Last Tycoon. He's too slow to win, but he does have a shot at a minor board spot, probably 4th. So, guess what happens? The horse is NOT ridden like a desperate longshot, but a major contender. The rider shoots the horse out of the gate, doesn't save ANY ground (2 wide on both turns) and gets nailed for 4th in the super by a half length. This horse was NOT ridden for the specific situation, but rather just ridden as if the rider had no clue he was outclassed and needed to save ever inch of ground to MAYBE get 3rd or 4th. This horse actually raced semi respectable and would have had a major change to get a higher board spot had the rider been more conservative and rode to the situation.

how cliche
12-03-2010, 10:36 AM
Russell's biggest attribute is also his biggest flaw. From the word go he gives off the body language that he's riding the horse who is much the best...almost every race. Therefore, it often looks like he's driving a car, merely pondering when to hit the gas, put on the brakes and steer the wheel. The nags pick up on this supreme confidence and run better for him. But the rides lack the subtlety needed to succeed at a major circuit.

Question: Do you think Baze would've won aboard Dakota Phone had the dorf given him the mount in the cup?

Stillriledup
12-03-2010, 01:54 PM
Russell's biggest attribute is also his biggest flaw. From the word go he gives off the body language that he's riding the horse who is much the best...almost every race. Therefore, it often looks like he's driving a car, merely pondering when to hit the gas, put on the brakes and steer the wheel. The nags pick up on this supreme confidence and run better for him. But the rides lack the subtlety needed to succeed at a major circuit.

Question: Do you think Baze would've won aboard Dakota Phone had the dorf given him the mount in the cup?

Probably not just because Rosario makes them 'run faster' than Russel. I'm not suggesting Russell makes horses run faster than everyone else, he's just the guy who is the smartest guy from a 'riding to the situation' standpoint as well as the guy you can count on to ride any one horse great. Its like the old quote from Joe Dimaggio. They asked Joe why he plays so hard every day and he said, "because there might be a kid in the stands who's seeing me for the first time" Russell is the guy who fits that Dimaggio mold, he's the guy who you can count on for sustained excellence pretty much for every mount.

I do like your point about Russ riding every horse like he's much the best, he gives off that confidence, i do see that.

Stillriledup
03-11-2011, 05:24 PM
Russell is putting on a riding clinic today at GG so far.

precocity
03-11-2011, 05:36 PM
baze is a great jockey in a 3 horse race :ThmbUp:

Stillriledup
03-11-2011, 05:38 PM
baze is a great jockey in a 3 horse race :ThmbUp:

Its still hard to win, regardless of how many horses are in the race.

precocity
03-11-2011, 05:42 PM
Its still hard to win, regardless of how many horses are in the race.
:D :ThmbUp:

Stillriledup
03-11-2011, 05:45 PM
:D :ThmbUp:

:D

Unless its a walkover!

Stillriledup
05-19-2011, 05:58 PM
Russell's hammering them today boys! :ThmbUp:

andymays
05-19-2011, 06:00 PM
Russell the muscle is good but he can't compete with the best that ever lived. Not even close.

hugh
05-19-2011, 10:40 PM
Going to see Mr. Baze in action on Sunday... it's dollar day!
Love it.

Run Nicholas Run
05-20-2011, 12:49 AM
Terry Gard.

Donnie French, ron beverly and david reyes-frisby

Bruddah
05-20-2011, 11:44 AM
Truthfully, Russel Baze would have a difficult time shining the boots of Pat Day and Jerry Bailey. The list would be too long to mention all the greats of the distant past.

He's the best local jock in the Bay area, that's about all that can be said.

In my opinion, there have only been about a dozen jockeys truly deserving of Hall of Fame status. (from abt. 1940 to today)

pondman
05-20-2011, 12:41 PM
The great jocks can get a horse moving-- without signalling the other jockeys.

Russell Baze is a gifted horseman, who has the ability to sit motionless, and hand ride a horse. You never see him thrashing around as other jockeys do. There are not many who can do this. Plus he has a stellar work ethic.

He's hall of fame, but I'd put others in the 1st spot-- Laffit Pincay jr., Shoemaker.

Unfortunately his horses are over bet in most races! And in the majority of cases are not good value bets.

Due to the fact that I bet many shippers into GG, I would prefer to see others riding. Baze usually kills the odds, making his horses break even at best, which in my opinion makes most of his horses a pass. He also kills most exotics.

You can't leave him out, but you don't want to bet him.

Stillriledup
12-14-2012, 06:56 PM
Subtle but great.

Ringmistress...a horse who refuses to win, was 'hand ridden' on the incorrect lead by RB all the way to the wire. He nursed this mare, kept her under a hold, didnt whip her, didnt jerk her head to try and get her to switch leads, just sat on her and tricked her into thinking that the wire wasnt coming.

Brilliant stuff from America's all time winningest jock.

:ThmbUp:

nijinski
12-14-2012, 08:12 PM
He certainly is very talented .
No way can he be compared to those who were named to ride the nations top horses in the most prestigious races with the pressure on .
I think he is excellent within his own comfort zone .

I can't agree with you that other jocks don't handicap the races .

Stillriledup
04-19-2013, 06:53 PM
:ThmbUp:

He's "going off" today at GG.

MJC922
04-19-2013, 09:55 PM
In my opinion Baze has the hands. Granted he's capitalizing on the mistakes of the other riders around him at GG more than he ever would at SA. I wouldn't hesitate to back him in any big race no matter who he's riding against. I feel he's on par with a guy like Gary Stevens, certainly talented. Over the years Bailey impressed me as a guy who did everything right an awful lot of the time and did it against top competition. Pat Day lost too many races by riding every horse the same way, always rating, frequently buried down inside waiting for a hole, it might make sense to do that on a 25-1 shot, not when your horse is ten lengths the best. Of course Pat also won many races he had no business winning for that reason, but that doesn't cut it with me. I never saw a better rider in my lifetime than Angel Cordero Jr. When you look at the totality of his career, including the horrible injuries, the great comebacks, not afraid to be super aggressive early in a race, was able to get huge run out of marginal horses. No better stretch rider in the last 50 years either coming from behind or holding a horse together late. As a fan it's very difficult to compare horses over the decades but the surest bet I could ever make in my life would be when they bury me I'll have never seen a better rider than Cordero.

Paseana
04-19-2013, 10:35 PM
As a fan it's very difficult to compare horses over the decades but the surest bet I could ever make in my life would be when they bury me I'll have never seen a better rider than Cordero.

I hated Angel because of how he supposedly "mugged" the filly, and in his storied career, that's one of the things that he will be known for.

But this quote above is the greatest testimony to a jockey that I've ever seen, and it was articulated so beautifully.

MJC922, thank you for that. What a beautiful post!

mannyberrios
04-19-2013, 10:54 PM
To me Mr. Cordero was the best

v j stauffer
04-20-2013, 04:06 AM
In my opinion Baze has the hands. Granted he's capitalizing on the mistakes of the other riders around him at GG more than he ever would at SA. I wouldn't hesitate to back him in any big race no matter who he's riding against. I feel he's on par with a guy like Gary Stevens, certainly talented. Over the years Bailey impressed me as a guy who did everything right an awful lot of the time and did it against top competition. Pat Day lost too many races by riding every horse the same way, always rating, frequently buried down inside waiting for a hole, it might make sense to do that on a 25-1 shot, not when your horse is ten lengths the best. Of course Pat also won many races he had no business winning for that reason, but that doesn't cut it with me. I never saw a better rider in my lifetime than Angel Cordero Jr. When you look at the totality of his career, including the horrible injuries, the great comebacks, not afraid to be super aggressive early in a race, was able to get huge run out of marginal horses. No better stretch rider in the last 50 years either coming from behind or holding a horse together late. As a fan it's very difficult to compare horses over the decades but the surest bet I could ever make in my life would be when they bury me I'll have never seen a better rider than Cordero.

Love this post. Have to challenge one point. IMO Laffit Pincay Jr. may have been a slightly better pure stretch drive finisher.

Jerry Brown, master of the Thorograph Sheets once told me no jockey that ever lived could make a horse run fast enough to change it's TG number. With one rare exception. He said it was rare indeed but the only guy he saw that could do it was Laffit.

I was in the Announcers booth at Garden State Park when he willed Spend A Buck across the line in the Jersey Derby. To this day haven't seen anything like that.

Both iconic riders Angel & The Pirate.

castaway01
04-20-2013, 08:52 AM
Baze is very talented and durable but to me he's like saying a guy who played 20 years in Triple A and hit .330 at that level would have done the same against major league players. Easy to say he could have won 11 million races at the top level, but we don't know that. He never proved it. He wouldn't have gotten the horses, for one thing. Beating 5-horse fields with mediocre riders is wonderful, but he's not doing it against the best.

Stillriledup
04-20-2013, 01:10 PM
Love this post. Have to challenge one point. IMO Laffit Pincay Jr. may have been a slightly better pure stretch drive finisher.

Jerry Brown, master of the Thorograph Sheets once told me no jockey that ever lived could make a horse run fast enough to change it's TG number. With one rare exception. He said it was rare indeed but the only guy he saw that could do it was Laffit.

I was in the Announcers booth at Garden State Park when he willed Spend A Buck across the line in the Jersey Derby. To this day haven't seen anything like that.

Both iconic riders Angel & The Pirate.

Love Angel, love the Pirate, two of my favorite all time jocks, probably top 2.

Stillriledup
04-20-2013, 01:39 PM
I think as time has gone on, the GG riding colony has gotten much stronger, especially in recent times. Dennis Carr and Juan Hernandez are excellent riders who could compete at any track imo and guys like Frank Alvarado and Billy Antongeorgi are no slouches either.

Russell would have many less wins if he rode regularly in So Cal or in the 'big leagues' but his greatness, to the fans and bettors, is his ability to day in and day out, race after race without fail, ride a heady and smart race, i think that his brain and his race strategy is as good as anyone out there and that's what seperates him from many riders.

Can he make as much 'speed' as the top riders in the game? Absolutely not, but if i had my last dollar and had to win my last bet, i would probably seek out a R Baze mount to make that wager on.

I watch a TON of video replays as i'm sure you all do to, and what i see is that not every jock who is riding at top tracks is actually good. Some jocks, who USED to be good and currently employ a top and well connected agent, continue to get mounts despite being 'unbettable' for the most part. Sure, those jocks will win a ton of races just due to the numbers game and their agent getting them on top mounts, but for the most part, some jocks are higher up on the pecking order than their actual talent and you can't count on them to always ride well.

I guess the 64 dollar question might be this. Should we hold it against a human racing participant who chooses to be the big fish in the small pond? I think Russell's wins and all his success are totally taken into context by racing fans across the globe, we all know he isnt beating the elite riders in America on a regular basis, but if you watch Golden Gate on a daily basis, handicap their races, watch video replays the night before while preparing for your betting day, you will see that not only does Russell always seem to have his horse in position, but he rides the hair off every horse all the way to the wire....if you need Russell to hang on for 3rd or 4th in the final race (maiden 8 claimer) tri or super, you can expect he will do everything in his power to get that board spot. You certainly can't say that about every jock.

Greatness is what you make it out to be and as a bettor, when i lay my 2 dollars down on the nose, i'm hoping to get a professional ride, i'm hoping my jock handicapped the race the night before, puts his horse in favorable position, rides belly down all the way thru the wire and gives me my money's worth. Russell is one of the very best at giving you your money's worth....that's all you can ask.

forced89
04-20-2013, 07:03 PM
Russell Baze reminds me of David Gall, a jock who often led the nation in wins in the 60s and 70s. He rode mostly in Southern Illinois and dominated.

pondman
04-20-2013, 11:30 PM
I made $3,100 hundred dollars today (Victorias on fire in the 5th) betting as I've repeatedly suggested. Find a horse ridden by an unknown coming in from S. Cal. Avoid Russell Baze in all races.

I've had a conversation with Chad Schvanevelt a few years ago. He said the key to Russell Baze is that he doesn't make any movements on a horse. He sits perfectly still so that other jockeys don't know when he is making a move. He's got strength and body control. You don't see him flailing around. You don't know if he is asking a horse, and then he all of a sudden gets away from you. Plus he will do all the defensive riding, wedge you, force you inside-- all of the thing many horses won't do.

I disagree with the strength of the colony. There were a few years when they had Baze, Rafeal Meza, Warren, and Hansen.

Stillriledup
04-21-2013, 12:32 AM
I made $3,100 hundred dollars today (Victorias on fire in the 5th) betting as I've repeatedly suggested. Find a horse ridden by an unknown coming in from S. Cal. Avoid Russell Baze in all races.

I've had a conversation with Chad Schvanevelt a few years ago. He said the key to Russell Baze is that he doesn't make any movements on a horse. He sits perfectly still so that other jockeys don't know when he is making a move. He's got strength and body control. You don't see him flailing around. You don't know if he is asking a horse, and then he all of a sudden gets away from you. Plus he will do all the defensive riding, wedge you, force you inside-- all of the thing many horses won't do.

I disagree with the strength of the colony. There were a few years when they had Baze, Rafeal Meza, Warren, and Hansen.

Where does the top 4 best riders at GG (Baze, Hernandez, Carr and Frank A) rate in the grand scheme of things? We know they're not as good as the elite jocks in So Cal and we know they're not as good as the Gulf/Keeneland jocks, but where do you put these guys, who else is ahead of them?

Sunday Silence
04-21-2013, 12:46 AM
Baze tried his hand at the Big Leagues in So Cal and got his lunch handed to him. Great jockeys will dominate anywhere. Look at Rosario. Holllendorfer on the other hand can hang at big tracks and in big races. Especially if he owns the horse. Watch out.

pondman
04-21-2013, 02:32 AM
Where does the top 4 best riders at GG (Baze, Hernandez, Carr and Frank A) rate in the grand scheme of things? We know they're not as good as the elite jocks in So Cal and we know they're not as good as the Gulf/Keeneland jocks, but where do you put these guys, who else is ahead of them?

It's really an issue of who wants to ride in a $4,000 claimer. Who is willing to duck inside and try and make a cowboy move along the rail for $400? They can't really refuse or they are history

Baze, himself, is in a league of his own. He keeps showing up for work. He's a hall of famer. Everyone needs to respect him. Would I bet him? No.

There are young kids who show up at the gate who'll do crazy riding. This stuff is much more dangerous than you think. I was visiting a trainer at Bay meadows a few years ago and a chick got toss over the fence onto the asphalt. It was a long way down. A group of trainers were standing around talking about how their workmen's comp was going to go up. It's a tough business.

The last super Jock that rode at the Gate was probably Matt Garcia. He drilled Baze right off the bat and so I started betting him, made some money. These kids aren't going to stay at the Gate for ythe money if they've got any gonads.

Dennis Carr tried to make it in the Great LakesRegion ( couldn't do it at finger Lakes.) Alvarado? He doesn't ride what I bet. All of my success comes from the unknowns, the Francos (bugged at SA) , guys who ride in the morning at SA, and guys such as Sanchez who rides in the morning (I made $22,000 off a ride by Sanchez/ Moss) and David Lopez.

Do I thing they are good horsemen? Yes. They can survive in the business. But do I think they could handle the competition in Florida. No. They'd never make it in N.Y. or in S.Cal. They stick it out for the summer fairs, with $3,200 claimers. And that's okay. They are regular people with families and kids. But they aren't the big leagues. They're not going to have any Breeder cup bios or derby mounts. And they know they won't get the phone calls.

v j stauffer
04-21-2013, 03:53 AM
It's really an issue of who wants to ride in a $4,000 claimer. Who is willing to duck inside and try and make a cowboy move along the rail for $400? They can't really refuse or they are history

Baze, himself, is in a league of his own. He keeps showing up for work. He's a hall of famer. Everyone needs to respect him. Would I bet him? No.

There are young kids who show up at the gate who'll do crazy riding. This stuff is much more dangerous than you think. I was visiting a trainer at Bay meadows a few years ago and a chick got toss over the fence onto the asphalt. It was a long way down. A group of trainers were standing around talking about how their workmen's comp was going to go up. It's a tough business.

The last super Jock that rode at the Gate was probably Matt Garcia. He drilled Baze right off the bat and so I started betting him, made some money. These kids aren't going to stay at the Gate for ythe money if they've got any gonads.

Dennis Carr tried to make it in the Great LakesRegion ( couldn't do it at finger Lakes.) Alvarado? He doesn't ride what I bet. All of my success comes from the unknowns, the Francos (bugged at SA) , guys who ride in the morning at SA, and guys such as Sanchez who rides in the morning (I made $22,000 off a ride by Sanchez/ Moss) and David Lopez.

Do I thing they are good horsemen? Yes. They can survive in the business. But do I think they could handle the competition in Florida. No. They'd never make it in N.Y. or in S.Cal. They stick it out for the summer fairs, with $3,200 claimers. And that's okay. They are regular people with families and kids. But they aren't the big leagues. They're not going to have any Breeder cup bios or derby mounts. And they know they won't get the phone calls.

I think you must mean Martin Garcia.

bigchump
04-21-2013, 02:35 PM
Baze holds the Santa Anita track record for 1½ miles on turf set on October 14, 1989, aboard the 3-year-old colt, Hawkster.
He also rode in two Derbys and finished double-digits both times.

Gallop58
04-21-2013, 03:11 PM
Baze holds the Santa Anita track record for 1½ miles on turf set on October 14, 1989, aboard the 3-year-old colt, Hawkster.
He also rode in two Derbys and finished double-digits both times.

Ahemmm.... Not anymore. (Track record)
Bright Thought nabbed a new WR on the same course just recently.

picojim
08-19-2013, 12:03 AM
nice long article in the NY Times about Baze

http://www.nytimes.com/projects/2013/the-jockey/?_r=0#/?chapt=introduction

fouroneone
08-19-2013, 03:49 AM
Excellent article. Not just a great story about Russell's life and career but a great look into the state of our sport in general outside of NYRA and Kentucky.

Midnight Cruiser
08-19-2013, 12:31 PM
nice long article in the NY Times about Baze

http://www.nytimes.com/projects/2013/the-jockey/?_r=0#/?chapt=introduction

Great piece. Thanks for sharing. MC