PDA

View Full Version : EXACT KEY BOX VS PART WHEEL

teddy
11-20-2010, 09:13 PM
Never played a key box till lately when I like a 6 to one shot and higher to win, backing it up with the other two has increased my costs but saved my rear too. Does anyone have any thoughts on if its a bad ideal to key one horse like that.

lamboguy
11-20-2010, 09:59 PM
the only time i ever play an exacta box is when i think there are 2 win factors, one of them has early pace, the other late. otherwise i stick to win.

i think you have the right idea, you have a good record and a great return on your money, my advice would be to stick with it. i think you won at harness the other day too.

teddy
11-21-2010, 12:22 AM
Thanks. Im doing good this week.. They call it a key box , its really like 1 with 23 and 23 with 1.... so you key one horse first and second. There is some sure losers there but if the horse is longer odds it seems to make sense. Maybe change the dollar amounts so its more of a dutch.

fmolf
11-21-2010, 08:24 PM
Thanks. Im doing good this week.. They call it a key box , its really like 1 with 23 and 23 with 1.... so you key one horse first and second. There is some sure losers there but if the horse is longer odds it seems to make sense. Maybe change the dollar amounts so its more of a dutch.
all i play is exactas and win bets and i will often play my longer priced win horse underneath in the exactas with no more than 2 logical horses that could beat me.I believe Quinn calls this "an exacta as a place bet".My records show that in the long run if your keying your horse second as well as on top with more than three horses youd be better off just keying your horse on top for more money...get paid for your good handicapping instead of spreading scared money around and thinning out your winnings.

raybo
11-22-2010, 07:25 AM
all i play is exactas and win bets and i will often play my longer priced win horse underneath in the exactas with no more than 2 logical horses that could beat me.I believe Quinn calls this "an exacta as a place bet".My records show that in the long run if your keying your horse second as well as on top with more than three horses youd be better off just keying your horse on top for more money...get paid for your good handicapping instead of spreading scared money around and thinning out your winnings.

I agree, even though I play supers, not exactas, the principle is the same. I have never keyed a horse in a super.

I trust my handicapping and go with my winner on top using a progressive modified box/wheel, a pyramid under the winner, each line duplicated in the underneath lines, which include more horses as I go down the lines.

This has proven, in my research to be the most efficient ticket structure, regarding ROI.

lamboguy
11-22-2010, 08:38 AM
I agree, even though I play supers, not exactas, the principle is the same. I have never keyed a horse in a super.

I trust my handicapping and go with my winner on top using a progressive modified box/wheel, a pyramid under the winner, each line duplicated in the underneath lines, which include more horses as I go down the lines.

This has proven, in my research to be the most efficient ticket structure, regarding ROI.if i was playing that way i would go 1 with 2 with 4 with 8 for superfecta's. i don't play superfecta's or trifecta's because they offer $1.00 and $.10 options. i would rather see them as a $2 or $3 base bet.

CBedo
11-22-2010, 02:45 PM
It depends on the situation (the type of horse, the odds, etc), but the key box is an effective part of of my arsenal, in the exacta and in the trifecta (don't play many supers), or at least some version of it. I don't often play the exact same amounts with my key as with him underneath, and especially in the trifecta, I tend not to use the same number of horses in the two other spots. I might key my horse in all three spots, but the other two will change depending on where my key is.