PDA

View Full Version : Greatest 'moment' in thoroughbred announcing.

Stillriledup
11-19-2010, 08:47 PM
Give me your top 5, or top 1 'moment' in announcing. What is your 'giants win the pennant" moment in horse race announcing?. Is there one?

Is it:

"moving like a tremendous machine"

Or, could it be:

"With one, final, acceleration"

Or, maybe:

"The incomparable, the unbeatable....."

Could it be:"THIS......IS....UN......BE...."
What's your vote for greatest moment in announcing?

Grits
11-19-2010, 09:02 PM
SRU, for me, you coulda stopped at the end of your first quote.:)

johnhannibalsmith
"Victory Gallop is six lengths from the lead but he's gathering momentum.

And as they arrive at the top of the stretch, Real Quiet is taking the lead! He's coming to the eight pole! Twenty years in the waiting, one furlong to go, but here comes his rival, Victory Gallop!

As they come to the final sixteenth, Kent Desormeaux imploring Real Quiet to hold on! Victory Gallop, a final surge! It's going to be very close!

Here's the wire! ... [pause] ... IT'S TOO CLOSE TO CALL!

Was it Real Quiet or was it Victory Gallop? A picture is worth a thousand words. This photo is worth FIVE MILLION DOLLARS. OH NO!

History in the waiting, on hold, till we get that photo finish!"

At the moment, it was probably the perfect call, it seemed as good as the race. The finish made you want to watch it again and when you heard the call the second time, you still tensed up and mercifully exhaled as though pained even though you know what was coming.

I'm not Durkin's biggest fan, but I thought this was probably the best call I ever heard in a meaningful race - one that actually elevated the excitement, drama, and suspense, rather than just describe it entusiastically or eloquently.

tzipi
I have to say Secretariats call because it wasn't a natural performance. It was an impossible feat. JMO

Stillriledup
11-19-2010, 09:14 PM
SRU, for me, you coulda stopped at the end of your first quote.:)

Moving like a tremendous machine is probably the most memorable thing ever said in thoroughbred announcing history. It might not even be close either.

Ocala Mike
11-19-2010, 10:08 PM
One shot - Chic Anderson's call of Secretariat's 1973 Belmont is the gold standard.

Repeat 'moments' - Fred Capposella's "It is now post time." When he announced it, you knew the machines would shut right now!

Ocala Mike

RaceBookJoe
11-19-2010, 10:13 PM
Moving like a tremendous machine is probably the most memorable thing ever said in thoroughbred announcing history. It might not even be close either.

Totally agree, and for me in 2nd place happened a few seconds later when he said "He's out there all alone" like he really couldnt believe what was happening. rbj

Cubbymac26
11-19-2010, 10:28 PM
That quote could very well be top 5 in all of sports history whenever u see the highlight they always show that part

Durkins cigar one was good as well as the victory gallop one(to this day I still don't see when he goes by)

Jasonm921
11-19-2010, 11:26 PM
That quote could very well be top 5 in all of sports history whenever u see the highlight they always show that part

Durkins cigar one was good as well as the victory gallop one(to this day I still don't see when he goes by)

Totally Agree--with the entire post

keithw84
11-20-2010, 03:25 AM
I'm not Durkin's biggest fan, but I thought this was probably the best call I ever heard in a meaningful race - one that actually elevated the excitement, drama, and suspense, rather than just describe it entusiastically or eloquently.

You summed up exactly why this was such a great call. When I was a brand new fan, I watched this race over and over because the end was so thrilling.

v j stauffer
11-20-2010, 03:35 AM
You summed up exactly why this was such a great call. When I was a brand new fan, I watched this race over and over because the end was so thrilling.

Chic Anderson's call of Secretariat's Belmont will always be the Gold Standard.

I do think though some of my work during the time Black Ruby and Taz we're going at it deserves some recognition.

bigmack
11-20-2010, 03:44 AM
"Holy Bull, as game as a race horse can be"

GARY Z
11-20-2010, 07:09 AM
on a contemporary basis:

My wife knows everything, the wife doesn't know :)

and the day I lost to this horse at Sar listening to Durkin rant, and
the seats were literally vivrating to:

ARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR,ARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR RRRR

:eek: :bang: :eek:

tubesockshakur
11-20-2010, 08:03 AM
durkins 1987 classic call was fantastic.

The Hawk
11-20-2010, 10:06 AM
DEPUTY!

(C'mon, someone had to do it...)

Stillriledup
11-20-2010, 02:20 PM
DEPUTY!

(C'mon, someone had to do it...)

I'm still waiting for some clever owner to name a horse: Durkin's Deputy :jump:

sandpit
11-20-2010, 02:54 PM
1991 BC Juvenile "...and Arazi blows right by him." Durkin's tone of stunned reverence fit perfectly for what happened.

devilsbag
11-20-2010, 03:18 PM
Tom Durkin's call in the 1996 Breeders' Cup Turf: "It is Diplomatic Jet, and a pesky Rick's Natural Star right there with him, through a quarter in twenty-four and one-fifth seconds..." still sends a chill up my spine.

Market Mover
11-20-2010, 03:41 PM
Tom Durkin's call in the 1996 Breeders' Cup Turf: "It is Diplomatic Jet, and a pesky Rick's Natural Star right there with him, through a quarter in twenty-four and one-fifth seconds..." still sends a chill up my spine.

Diplomatic Jet was a gallant warrior, and he went on to G1 glory in that carefully planned career by conditioner Picou. Does anyone know what happened to him after retirement?

Market Mover
11-20-2010, 03:43 PM
1991 BC Juvenile "...and Arazi blows right by him." Durkin's tone of stunned reverence fit perfectly for what happened.

"And here indeed...is a SUPERSTAR!"

v j stauffer
11-21-2010, 02:51 AM
Today's 4th at Hollywood Park

bigmack
11-21-2010, 03:35 AM
Technical difficulty or were you indisposed?

Stillriledup
11-21-2010, 03:36 AM

:lol:

MNslappy
11-21-2010, 03:46 AM

Vic, I still go back a few times a year (and I just did recently) to re-watch the 2006 Florida Derby. :ThmbUp: That race still holds a special place in my heart and the call was outstanding.

v j stauffer
11-21-2010, 10:57 AM
Technical difficulty or were you indisposed?

Head set crapped out.

v j stauffer
11-21-2010, 10:59 AM
Vic, I still go back a few times a year (and I just did recently) to re-watch the 2006 Florida Derby. :ThmbUp: That race still holds a special place in my heart and the call was outstanding.

One of my fondest memories in my 30 years in racing.

v j stauffer
11-21-2010, 11:03 AM

I was standing five feet from Tom Durkin in the Churchill Downs announcers booth when he said " And Bertrando is a stunned 2nd" I looked over at him and thought to myself who the hell says something like that on this pressure packed stage? Knew right then and there I could never be the best.

Paseana
11-21-2010, 12:07 PM
"It's a photo finish that doesn't deserve a loser!"

2002 Test Stakes - You and Carson Hollow

That's one race, along with the call, that I will never forget!

Stillriledup
11-21-2010, 02:29 PM
I was standing five feet from Tom Durkin in the Churchill Downs announcers booth when he said " And Bertrando is a stunned 2nd" I looked over at him and thought to myself who the hell says something like that on this pressure packed stage? Knew right then and there I could never be the best.

2nd best is alright in our book! :ThmbUp:

affirmedny
11-21-2010, 03:34 PM
"and they'd have to sprout wings to catch him" - 5000 times since 1983.....

Stillriledup
11-21-2010, 10:12 PM
Eddie B's call in the 5th tonight at Los AL.

X mas is right around the corner! :ThmbUp:

sandpit
11-21-2010, 10:42 PM

That's got to be one of the most special memories ever for you http://paceadvantage.com/forum/images/UBGX/I9.gif. I myself was sitting in what I thought at the time were crummy seats: near the quarter pole right on the rail with my girlfriend and future wife. As the Juvenile field came around the turn, I told her that some horse was moving quick from the back. When Arazi came flying, I thought he was going to run right into us he was moving so fast!

grexxon
11-22-2010, 09:22 AM
There was a horse called Nobody. As they turned for home the announcer said
It's Nobody in front.

Stillriledup
11-22-2010, 04:48 PM
There was a horse called Nobody. As they turned for home the announcer said
It's Nobody in front.

And, if you beat him, people will say you beat Nobody. :eek:

Mike_412
11-22-2010, 05:02 PM
There's so many for me to choose from. The Holy Bull Travers call is one of my favorite calls of all time. Durkin captured the moment beautifully. I also liked Durkin's call in the 98 Mile with Da Hoss winning it for the 2nd time. I could go on for days about how many Durkin calls I've enjoyed over the years. The man is brilliant.

Vic's call in the 2004 Fountain of Youth was outstanding. The stretch run between Read the Footnotes and Second of June was awesome and Vic painted the picture beautifully. His best call ever imo.

devilsbag
11-22-2010, 06:35 PM
Who can ever forget 獲得 グランド in last year's Japan Cup?

eastie
11-26-2010, 12:12 PM
what about Red Dog vs. Red Neck on the Odd Couple TV show. Oscar even had the winner of the greta stretch duel...priceless moment is when Felix asks, in the middle of the stretchcall, "why do they have 2 red hosses in the same race?"

Achenar vs. Padonia was heard a million times up the heights after one awesome race at Rockingham

snoadog
11-26-2010, 01:50 PM
I know you are all going to hate me but the six words Dave Johnson is famous for is really what sealed the deal for me. I was a kid when Genuine Risk won the derby, I thought all races were going to send a chill down my spine after that

therussmeister
11-26-2010, 08:48 PM
For me the greatest moment in thoroughbred announcing is when it was revealed that Richard Grunder would not be returning as Canterbury's announcer.

thaskalos
11-26-2010, 09:36 PM
I don't remember the poster who suggested this race call a while back...but I will be forever greatful to him/her - because it is the greatest call of a race I have ever heard.

Greg Miles calling Makybe Diva's 3rd Melbourne Cup win, in 2005.

Unforgettable!