PDA

View Full Version : Freehold Raceway, Saturday, November 20

Teach
11-19-2010, 01:47 PM
Race One: #3 KEVA KEY is the key in the opener. This veteran gelding with lifetime earnings of over a half-a-mill got "toasted" going for the lead (27.1) last week. This week, two changes: (1) new driver, Jim Pantaleano. "The Pandy Man" (I remember when he campaigned at Northfield) is one of the best gate-drivers in the business. If Keva Key can get to the lead (he should) and hit the quarter in :28-and-change and the half in :58-and-change, he may, as "The Boomer" would say: "...go..all..the..way!" (2) Last week, Keva Key faced early speed challenges; this week I think he can make it to the top more easily. Underneath (in no particular order), I like #1 Chris. He won last week's "perfect storm" (at least for him) race. Last week, with the horses in front of him "gassed," he made one quick brush and, as they say in Japan, it was: Sayonara-time I just don't think he gets the same kind of set up, this week. However, he can certainly be part. #2 Oh Whata Guy with "Yogi" Sheridan can hit the board; he closed nicely in his last. Outside, I like #7 Monbak with the Mainer, Gary Mosher. This horse went off the chalk (my pick) in last week's race. He got caught up in the early fractions. Yet, he can't be ignored here. Finally, #8 Blissfull Ball might overcome that outside post and be part of a gimmick.

Race Two: I've been pondering this race for several minutes...and I'm still not sure. I can make a case for three or four horses; yet, I've decided to make my top pick: #2 MUCH BETTOR-MERIT. Much Bettor-Merit appears to be rounding into form. This is his third pari-mutuel start back after a three-and-one-half month layoff. In the past, he's faced better, e.g., Porthill Gatsby. This horse may well have needed his last two. In the bike, Pat Berry's most capable. My only concern is that this horse doesn't have much gate speed. He'll have to "pick'em up and lay'em down" in the stretch. Yet, I believe the combination of his back-class and improving form should allow him to prevail. Underneath, #1 Bruce Kennedy might get part. This is not a ringing endorsement (he did miss a recent start due to illness). You can add to that the fact he's been racing primarily on wide-turned mile ovals, e.g., Meadowlands, Lexington. He could surprise, but I think not. Possible minor award. #5 Willow Run Huck should be going for the lead. Can he "bottom out" the field? I have my doubts. Yet, Jim Pantaleano's very good at holding horses together. Can he ration out his speed? I think he hits the board. #6 Made For Cruising (2nd Time Lasix) turned in a very good effort in his last (closed for 3rd). This horse is a factor here and should not be ignored. #3 Caviart Logan did turn in a decent qualifier; he might just complete a gimmick.

Race Three: #3 ITTAKESTWOBABY is my choice here. Wasn't that an impressive effort last week - albeit from the rail. Yet, anything resembling that effort will spell picture-taking time for this 3-year-old Cam's Card Shark-bred colt. Underneath, #2 Whole Lotta Shakin went wire to wire in his last. Anything resembling last week's effort and he's right in the thick of things. #5 Raider's Match will be gunning for the lead. He looks like the major danger for the top pick. Yet, he's missed a week; that a concern. #6 Micheles Dream Guy could be a surprise. This horse should not be overlooked. Finally, #8 Shoot First made a strong closing effort in his last. He might get part despite the outside post.

Race Four: #8 BEARER'S SUPRIZE (My Longshot Special) can take all the enchaladas from the outside post. There's not much early speed in front of him. He could shoot out from the #8 starting slot and be no worse than second or third as they hit the quarter. The start of the race will be critical. Smitty in the bike is most capable. Should be interesting. May provide some decent value. Underneath: #2 I Dood It has not shown much recently. Yet, he's capabable of waking up and contending here from a favorable inside post. Jim Pantaleano in the bike is a plus. #4 Professor Jeff is a lightly raced Matt's Scooter-bred horse who could surprise and add value to exotics. #5 Full of Luck could pick up the pieces in a gimmick. Finally, #7 Limestone Ridge N is a classy vet with $200,000 in lifetime earnings. He has the services of one of the best gate-drivers at Freehold, Jack Baggitt. If Baggitt leaves with this horse, he becomes an immediate "player" in this race. Could the exacta be: 8-7? I suppose anything's possible.

Race Five: I'm leaning powerfully in the direction of #2 COPPER CANYON. The switch from Lee Chekenian to Gary Mosher is huge. This veteran horse has over a quarter-of-mill in lifetime earnings. He got parked in his last and was out of the picture by the quarter pole. If this horse gets the careful handling that Mosher can bring, he should be a serious contender in this race. Underneath: #1 Sir Sisu has been a constant disappointment (went off chalk last week and finished up the track). Yet, on his best effort (he does have the rail), he can be part. #4 Travers Hall (Floyd Pratt's only horse) seems overmatched here. Yet, might complete a super. #6 Sandri Hanover is another horse who could pick up the pieces on his best effort. Finally, #7 Crewcut Hanover gets a big driver change from Greg Powell to one of the best, Andy Miller. That change gives this horse a much improved chance of hitting the board.

Race Six: #2 SUPERBAD HANOVER had an excellent qualifier. He appears primed. Andy Ray in the bike is a big plus. He looks like the horse to beat. Underneath, #1 Porthill Gatsby turned in an excellent effort in his last. Anything resembling last week's sterling effort and he's right in the thick of things. #3 The Maniac fits in this company and is capable of hitting the board. #4 Brokaw is an old sentimental favorite (wasn't he something a few years back!); yet, he seems to have slipped a few notches. I know little about his driver, Jim Rattray. Yet, I must say Brokaw turned in a decent effort at The Big M in his last. A horse of this caliber can never be overlooked. #5 Here Comes Hal fits in this company. I don't think he wins it, but he might finish off a gimmick. Finally, #7 Miffed The Boat could pick up the pieces on his best effort.

Race Seven: #1 MCARDLES STAR has faced better in the past. Jim Pantaleano's a plus. The rail also improves his chances. Looks like a solid choice here. Underneath, #2 The Bad Deputy will benefit from the inside post. Could gain a share here. #3 Camshaft Hanover has turned in some very fast times at 5/8ths and mile ovals. He can be a factor here. #5 Idealist has raced against better. He's a factor on his best effort. Finally, #6 J M Rambo can pick up the pieces in the gimmicks.

Race Eight: I like #3 ALBERT STREET A with Jim Pantaleano (now that Cat's not around, the "Pandy Man" looks like the "go-to"guy). The horse has won three in a row with Pantaleano in the bike before losing the next two with different drivers. I believe he'll return to his winning ways with Pantaleano in the bike. #1 Fifty-Fifty won last week from the rail. He gets the rail, again. He contends. #2 Moosehead Jack is a solid campaigner who can - on his best effort - be part in this tightly contested race. #4 Medoland Mac has faced better. He's been a bit of a mystery. If he shows up, he's a definite factor here. Finally, #7 Arid N has turned in some decent efforts at Pocono. He might just get part on his best effort.

Race Nine: #3 FOX VALLEY SOSA has won his last two. Can he make it three in a row? I believe so. That is if he can comfortably get to the lead. #1 Truly The Man should be out and going at the half. Did the early fractions soften up Fox Valley Sosa? If so..this horse becomes a player. I also like #6 Oragami Artist. This horse had his three-race winning streak snapped - abeit from the 8-hole - last week. Yet, he can be a factor here with these. #7 Justin Art won his last against cheaper company. He might get part. Finally, #8 Cam's Future fits well in this company. Can he overcome the outside starting post. If so, he might get part.

Race Ten: #1 COLE COMBUSTION goes from having a provisional driver, Lewayne Miller to one of the best in North America, Any Ray Miller. That can be a prescription for a visit to the winner's circle. Add to that the fact that the horse has the rail. Underneath: #2 Goodbye Sam has finished second and first in his last two. He'll benefit both from his inside starting post and the services of driver Jack Baggitt. #3 Stopwatch N is capable of being part in this field. #4 Brickyard Wayne has a decent closing kick and might just complete a super. Finally, #5 Double Your Moves has hit the board in his last three. He's most capable of being part here.

Race Eleven: #2 BOLDER with Harry Landy has won his last two. He's most capable of a quick burst of speed. His pacing gait seems a little strange, but he gets the job done, anyway. I believe he can make it three in a row despite the class hike. #3 Boston Red Sock finished second in this kind of company last week. #5 Artic Blue threw in a clunker from an outside post at the Meadowlands last week. He can make amends at the Freehold oval. #6 Ludi Christy finished second in his last. He can be a factor here. Finally, #8 Baffler ships in from Pocono. He may need a race over the Freehold half-mile; yet he could surprise and garner a minor award.

Race Twelve: #4 SUN MOON LAKE is a nicely bred Artsplace gelding who, last spring, competed in the Art Unger series at The Meadowlands. After a hiatus, he looks like he may be rounding back into shape. If he's reasonably ready, he can win this race. #1 Up Front Jim showed little from the outside post in his last. Yet, he now draws the rail. That can make a big difference for this well-bred horse with a degree of back-class. #2 Atreus has hit the board in his last four. He's a good closer who can certainly be in the mix. #3 Panning For Gold got parked out in his last against stronger company. He's back in with the kind he can handle. Capable of hitting the tote. #5 His Eminence was running very well in Illini country during the end of the summer. However, since shipping east he's hit the board only once. Might just wake up with the most capable Andy Miller in the bike.

Race Thirteen: #3 RIDGE ROCKET won his last in this company. Can he repeat? I think so. This 13-year-old Albert-Albert-bred gelding has had a most successful career with lifetime earnings in excess of one-quarter of a million dollars. #3 My Tractors Sexy looks like a major danger. He's faced better company at Pocono. #2 Three Five Seven has had to deal with some tough starting posts. He's now back on Lasix. On his best effort, he can be in the mix. #5 Mr. Pinto is a solid hit-the-board kinda horse. He can be used in the gimmicks. #6 Party For Two might just clean up a super.

As always, do your own due diligence. Good Luck! Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours.