PDA

View Full Version : School forces boy to remove flag from bike

TJDave
11-19-2010, 12:19 PM
DENAIR, Calif. — A Stanislaus County school is forcing a student to take an American flag off of his bike.

Thirteen-year-old Cody Alicea put the flag there as a show of support for the veterans in his family. But officials at Denair Middle School told him he couldn’t fly it. He said he was told some students had complained.

http://www.kcra.com/video/25755096/detail.html

So now the eighth-grader folds up the flag and puts it in his backpack while he is in class. His father, Robert Kisner, said his son should not have to put the flag away. “He’s got that flag on his bike because he’s proud of where he comes from,” Kisner said.

But the superintendent said he’s trying to avoid tension on campus. “(The) First Amendment is important,” Superintendent Edward Parraz said. “We want the kids to respect it, understand it, and with that comes a responsiblity.”

Parraz said the campus has recently experienced some racial tension. He said some students got out of hand on Cinco de Mayo.

“Our Hispanic, you know, kids will, you know, bring their Mexican flags and they’ll display it, and then of course the kids would do the American flag situation, and it does cause kind of a racial tension which we don’t really want,” Parraz said. “We want them to appreciate the cultures.”

Parraz said if a disruption arises over a flag, they want it to be taken down to protect the safety of all students. The teen’s mother said she hopes to talk to the school principal to work something out.

wisconsin
11-19-2010, 12:21 PM
All I can say is "wow". :bang:

ArlJim78
11-19-2010, 12:33 PM
the school had to backtrack on that decision, due to overwhelming complaints.

here is the boy going to school on Monday, flying his flag, and with a few supporters along for the ride.:D

6U2hB-Pz4zs

Grits
11-19-2010, 12:46 PM
NEAT!!!:ThmbUp:

Sometimes, one really does question how very far this kind of thing will go?

boxcar
11-19-2010, 12:54 PM
The flag was off the bike, however, for Veterans' Day. So, the school did win that battle.

Also, as Rush had essentially asked on his show a few days ago: How come, the "offended" (in this case Mexican students) always get their requests granted? How come the "offended" are never accused of having thin skins or just simply misunderstanding a situation? How come the "offended" are never counseled to better understand a situation? How come the "offended" are never told they have it all wrong? How come the "offended" aren't told that this is a free country where free speech is highly valued and that's it's also incumbent upon them to behave responsibly in a free society. How come the "offended" aren't told that they should respect the free speech rights of all the people of this land? How come?

Boxcar

ArlJim78
11-19-2010, 01:05 PM
we're a nation of victims, the offended, and the disadvantaged. and of course the noble folks who claim to represent these groups.

everyone is supposed to tiptoe around and bend over backwards so as not to ruffle any feathers. I say nonsense, if you're offended just get over it. if you're in the US and a US flag offends you, then you're obviously in the wrong country.

Mike at A+
11-19-2010, 01:07 PM
This is such f***ing bullshit. Who the hell do these scumbags think they are to tell ANY AMERICAN where and when our flag can be displayed?

GaryG
11-19-2010, 01:26 PM
I am sure mosty or one of the other resident bleeding hearts will have the proper spin for this story....anyone? This same story has played out with several variations recently. Each time the public support is overwhelming and the school backs off. Only in the bluest of the blue....

boxcar
11-19-2010, 02:00 PM
I am sure mosty or one of the other resident bleeding hearts will have the proper spin for this story....anyone? This same story has played out with several variations recently. Each time the public support is overwhelming and the school backs off. Only in the bluest of the blue....

Yeah, Mosty will tell us that that kid was so insensitive to the feelings of others and that he should have been raised to behave more responsibly. :rolleyes:

Boxcar

cj's dad
11-19-2010, 02:46 PM
Yeah, Mosty will tell us that that kid was so insensitive to the feelings of others and that he should have been raised to behave more responsibly. :rolleyes:

Boxcar

He'll be here soon; he's making a few calls to get the party line on this.

boxcar
11-19-2010, 02:50 PM
He'll be here soon; he's making a few calls to get the party line on this.

He's probably scouring the DU and HP sites with a fine tooth comb. Let's stay tuned. This should be good. :D

Boxcar

DJofSD
11-19-2010, 02:55 PM
Good thing World Cup happened during the summer when school was not in session.

mostpost
11-19-2010, 04:21 PM
Since you asked. The kid should be allowed to fly the flag on his bike and should not be required to take it down when in school. The kids who object should be taught respect for anothers point of view. This also means that the hispanic students should be allowed to properly display their flag on special occasions.
The story seems to indicate that Hispanic students tried to fly a Mexican flag on Cinco de Mayo and were told not to. They objected to the kid on the bike with the flag.

The question is what was the attitude of the young man flying the American flag on his bike? Was he truly supporting military personnel in his family or was he trying to act superior to the hispanic students because he could fly a flag and they could not.

The whole thing comes down to respect for the people around you. Fly an American flag from your bicycle if you want, but don't think that makes you superior to someone from another country. It doesn't. Bring a Mexican flag to school and display it on special holidays, but do so in compliance with flag ettiquette and never display it in a superior position to the American flag.

DJofSD
11-19-2010, 04:24 PM
This also means that the hispanic students should be allowed to properly display their flag on special occasions.

Whatever happened to our flag?

mostpost
11-19-2010, 04:43 PM
Whatever happened to our flag?
Our flag-their flag what does that mean? It is possible to be loyal to the American flag and still respect the flag of your ancestry. My grandparents came over from eastern europe (now the Czech Republic) They were loyal Americans, yet they held the traditions of their homeland in high regard, as did my father.
The hispanics in this country are newly arrived and naturally cling to the familiar. Have some respect for them, they will assimilate.

GaryG
11-19-2010, 04:49 PM
Have some respect for them, they will assimilate.No they won't. You can find 2nd and 3rd generation Mexican immigrants in East LA or somewhere similar, that speak no English at all. Others assimilate....they do not. That is why we have so many forms and signs in Spanish, they refuse to learn the language of their adopted country. So....do I have any respect for their flag? Only when it is flown below the border.

bigmack
11-19-2010, 04:54 PM
Have some respect for them, they will assimilate.
The story is about a school district that feared an altercation in a State where Hispanics are over 50% in public schools. You're asking for respect for them?

Their assimilation involves moving to areas with other people just like themselves and having large, big, gargantuan families.

boxcar
11-19-2010, 05:31 PM
Our flag-their flag what does that mean? It is possible to be loyal to the American flag and still respect the flag of your ancestry. My grandparents came over from eastern europe (now the Czech Republic) They were loyal Americans, yet they held the traditions of their homeland in high regard, as did my father.
The hispanics in this country are newly arrived and naturally cling to the familiar. Have some respect for them, they will assimilate.

But can you have divided loyalties? Can a house divided against itself stand?

If Mexican citizens living in this country want to fly their flag (save for special events such as parades, etc.), this would tell me their first loyalty is to Mexico -- in which case they should return to their ancestral home. For example, if a Mexican kid rode his bike to school every day flying the Mexican flag, then he would be showing disrespect to this country -- the country in which he's living.

And again, I wouldn't go to Mexico and flaunt the American flag on my automobile in the face of Mexicans. That, too, would be rude!

The American boy, for your info, had been riding to school with that flag on his bike for quite some time. What makes this whole incident very suspect is that suddenly on Veterans Day, the kid was told to remove the flag because some Mexican kids were offended. I smell a rat here -- big time. Just "coincidentally", the kid was told after Veterans Day that he could fly it again after a flap was made. I bet it was the liberals in the school who were offended! I bet the libs just played the race card because they were offended by the kid's patriotic statement. More than a few libs loathe Nationalism. They can't wait until we go global.

Boxcar

gl45
11-19-2010, 06:22 PM
mosty,
you should change yor name to lessy.
I'm italian and carry an americamn flag on my front porch, fyi I'm not even an american citizen, I carry a green card, and I'm so proud to be half american.
mexican don't assimilate, you moron, they take for granted.

wisconsin
11-19-2010, 06:22 PM
I'm sorry, but asking this kid to put away his flag is wayyyyyy over the top. Why do we have to set rules to be fair. Cinco de Mayo is a Mexican holiday. I would not even think to fly my U.S. flag in Mexico on the 4th of July, because it does not belong there.

This pc crap is really getting to me, and I'm not gonna get sucked in.

mostpost
11-19-2010, 11:33 PM
mosty,
you should change yor name to lessy.
I'm italian and carry an americamn flag on my front porch, fyi I'm not even an american citizen, I carry a green card, and I'm so proud to be half american.
mexican don't assimilate, you moron, they take for granted.
If you're not an American, you have no right to comment in this forum. This forum is for Americans only. What does an Italian know about being an American?

boxcar
11-19-2010, 11:43 PM
If you're not an American, you have no right to comment in this forum. This forum is for Americans only. What does an Italian know about being an American?

Probably a heck of a lot more than most liberals do. :p

Boxcar

mostpost
11-19-2010, 11:50 PM
But can you have divided loyalties? Can a house divided against itself stand?

If Mexican citizens living in this country want to fly their flag (save for special events such as parades, etc.), this would tell me their first loyalty is to Mexico -- in which case they should return to their ancestral home. For example, if a Mexican kid rode his bike to school every day flying the Mexican flag, then he would be showing disrespect to this country -- the country in which he's living.

And again, I wouldn't go to Mexico and flaunt the American flag on my automobile in the face of Mexicans. That, too, would be rude!

The American boy, for your info, had been riding to school with that flag on his bike for quite some time. What makes this whole incident very suspect is that suddenly on Veterans Day, the kid was told to remove the flag because some Mexican kids were offended. I smell a rat here -- big time. Just "coincidentally", the kid was told after Veterans Day that he could fly it again after a flap was made. I bet it was the liberals in the school who were offended! I bet the libs just played the race card because they were offended by the kid's patriotic statement. More than a few libs loathe Nationalism. They can't wait until we go global.

Boxcar
It has nothing to do with divided loyalties. It's all about people honoring their past. It is possible for someone to do that without disrespecting the country they are presently a part of. Your statement that it was the liberals in the school who were offended is one of the dumbest statements you've made. That is saying a lot considering the almost endless dumb statements youy've made here.
Libs loathe Nationalism. No, Libs loathe jingoism. Libs have enough faith in their country that they don't need to disparage or belittle other countries or people in order to make themselves feel good.

newtothegame
11-19-2010, 11:51 PM
Mosty...sorry but you way off base here.

1st the young man flying the american flag doesnt need a reason to fly it. THIS IS AMERICA and that IS ITS FLAG!
2nd, to fly any other nations flag is not honoring your country...its dishonoring the country you are in.
Lastly, if the mexicans are so upset about it,.....they have a choice...GO HOME!
if they wish to fly the mexican flag, they can fly it in doors.
Sorry but i did not serve my country to have ANOTHER countries flag flown here.
If it were up to me, all those damn UN flags would be removed as well...I dont care what they think they represent. And just to show I am fair...if they wish to fly all the other flags at the UN...fly them LOWER then the US flag!

newtothegame
11-19-2010, 11:52 PM
It has nothing to do with divided loyalties. It's all about people honoring their past. It is possible for someone to do that without disrespecting the country they are presently a part of. Your statement that it was the liberals in the school who were offended is one of the dumbest statements you've made. That is saying a lot considering the almost endless dumb statements youy've made here.
Libs loathe Nationalism. No, Libs loathe jingoism. Libs have enough faith in their country that they don't need to disparage or belittle other countries or people in order to make themselves feel good.

So is this what BO world tour of knocking the US is about??? :lol:

mostpost
11-20-2010, 12:37 AM
Mosty...sorry but you way off base here.

1st the young man flying the american flag doesnt need a reason to fly it. THIS IS AMERICA and that IS ITS FLAG!
I missed the place where I said he shouldn't fly the flag. Here is what I said:
Since you asked. The kid should be allowed to fly the flag on his bike and should not be required to take it down when in school
2nd, to fly any other nations flag is not honoring your country...its dishonoring the country you are in.
As long as you observe proper flag etiquete, it is not dishonoring any thing.
None of you would have any problem except that it is the Mexican flag. You don't think so? See your comment immediately below.
Lastly, if the mexicans are so upset about it,.....they have a choice...GO HOME!
if they wish to fly the mexican flag, they can fly it in doors.
Sorry but i did not serve my country to have ANOTHER countries flag flown here.
Actually you did serve your country so that anyone has the right to fly any flag. It's called the first amendment. Or does that only apply to Americans whose ancestors came over on the Mayflower.
If it were up to me, all those damn UN flags would be removed as well...I dont care what they think they represent. And just to show I am fair...if they wish to fly all the other flags at the UN...fly them LOWER then the US flag!
And don't think serving in the military makes you special. I also served and to make matters worse, I had to take basic in the summer at Fort Polk. :lol: :lol:

NJ Stinks
11-20-2010, 12:53 AM
The superintendent is trying to keep the peace in his part of the world and you guys trash him. Easy to do that when your not in his bunker. (I said that last part for Newtothegame's benefit. :p :) )

JustRalph
11-20-2010, 01:02 AM

I hope this was a joke..............

mostpost
11-20-2010, 01:04 AM
Duh!!!!

newtothegame
11-20-2010, 01:04 AM
And don't think serving in the military makes you special. I also served and to make matters worse, I had to take basic in the summer at Fort Polk. :lol: :lol:

Actually mosty...you SELECTIVELY chose to pick what you wrote...but let me actually quote what you wrote for ya since you missed it...

"The question is what was the attitude of the young man flying the American flag on his bike? Was he truly supporting military personnel in his family or was he trying to act superior to the hispanic students because he could fly a flag and they could not."

I could care less whether he was supporting military or ANYTHING for that matter. IT HIS DAMN COUNTRY and if he wants to fly the AMERICAN flag in it, so be it!

Next you ask...
"None of you would have any problem except that it is the Mexican flag. You don't think so? See your comment immediately below.

and what you attempted to do was make it appear I was against mexicans. here is my quote which you referrenced...
"Lastly, if the mexicans are so upset about it,.....they have a choice...GO HOME!
if they wish to fly the mexican flag, they can fly it in doors."

and stand by that comment. But, what you didnt mention that I also said was.....
"If it were up to me, all those damn UN flags would be removed as well...I dont care what they think they represent. And just to show I am fair...if they wish to fly all the other flags at the UN...fly them LOWER then the US flag!
So, your arguement about me somehow having something against mexican flag is way off base....by nice try there lib! I have a problem with ANY flag other then STARS AND STRIPES flying in this country!

Next, you state....
"Actually you did serve your country so that anyone has the right to fly any flag. It's called the first amendment. Or does that only apply to Americans whose ancestors came over on the Mayflower."
Wrong again....you try many times to take things out of context.
Since you served (from your post above), could you please tell us the oath you took? I can....now you can try and take your twisted logic and apply it as you wish but here is the ACTUAL oath....you show me where it says I am defending someones right to fly a FORIEGN flag on U.S soil.....?????

I, (NAME), do solemnly swear (or affirm) that I will support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic; that I will bear true faith and allegiance to the same; and that I will obey the orders of the President of the United States and the orders of the officers appointed over me, according to regulations and the Uniform Code of Military Justice. So help me God.

take special note of "that I will bear true faith and allegiance to the same" (in referrence to above sentence meaning UNITED STATES).
Doesn't say i will bear true faith to mexico or any other foriegn country.

Lastly, you post....
"And don't think serving in the military makes you special. I also served and to make matters worse, I had to take basic in the summer at Fort Polk."

I do NOT for a minute think I am special because I served. As a matter of fact, I was HONORED to have been able to serve. I mention it because I am proud and quite honestly, I am getting rather sick and tired of people like you libs trouncing on our beloved constitution as if its nothing more then a wet news paper left out in the rain.
When faced with the constitution, you libs use terms like "outdated", teach things like revisionism.
When the fact of the matter is that the constitution holds as much truth today as it did the day it was written.
Maybe you should try some classes and its wording and the meaning of those words. Not what you THINK it means. But what was actually meant by our fore fathers who wrote it. There are many sources to find words by these men...shouldnt be hard to decipher. But, then again...your a lib so I am not counting my chickens!

newtothegame
11-20-2010, 01:06 AM
The superintendent is trying to keep the peace in his part of the world and you guys trash him. Easy to do that when your not in his bunker. (I said that last part for Newtothegame's benefit. :p :) )

LOL thanks for thinking of me NJ...but any man who would make a decision to NOT have the american flag flown in his own country...sorry he can have that bunker to himself!

mostpost
11-20-2010, 01:14 AM
I was just doing what you guys do when responding to something from Rookies or 46. Joke wasn't the exact way to characterize it; more like a parody.

riskman
11-20-2010, 01:33 AM
I was just doing what you guys do when responding to something from Rookies or 46. Joke wasn't the exact way to characterize it; more like a parody.

Aren't Rookie and 46 Canadians? Not that it matters, it is just strange that you mention these two who I believe are not Americans although I could be mistaken.

newtothegame
11-20-2010, 01:35 AM
Aren't Rookie and 46 Canadians? Not that it matters, it is just strange that you mention these two who I believe are not Americans although I could be mistaken.
lol, now you dont think that was just a "slip" by mosty do ya? :lol:

JustRalph
11-20-2010, 02:00 AM

a parody plays so well on the net...............

gl45
11-20-2010, 05:59 AM
piss on you mosty (lessy).
I'm more american than you think. You don't see me carry an italian flag. do you?

Tom
11-20-2010, 09:37 AM
If you want to fly the mexican flag, go back to mexico and have at it.
Perhaps if you were really proud of mexico, you should have stayed there and fought to free it from the total corruption and drug cartels that have reduced it to a toilet instead of running here like scared little girls.

boxcar
11-20-2010, 12:06 PM

No, Libs love Globalism and, therefore, hate Nationalism. There are TONS and TONS of stories out there about schools restricting people's free speech and religious expressions. As someone said on another thread, the slogan of a liberal is: Free Speech for Me, but not for Thee! Which Party is chompin' at the bit to resurrect the Fairness Doctrine? Who fired Juan Williams because of his expressions of free speech? Which party complains and whines about corporate campaign contributions while having no problem in rakin' in the dough from Big Labor, etc., etc.? And is it liberals or conservatives who staunchly support the advance of globalism ("new world order") And is it conservatives or liberals who desire to diminish this nation's sovereignty by refusing to protect our borders? It's always liberals behind this anti-freedom, anti-American, anti-Nationalism sentiment. Liberals are the scourge of this earth!

And of course, libs don't knock other countries. They're too busy slamming this one! Listen to all the disparaging anti-American remarks of Soros who is firmly in the America-is-what-is-wrong-with-the-World camp! Or your messiah who just can't wait to apologize to some third world dictator, or communist regime or any other also-ran, non-exceptional country for all the many "sins" of this country. Nor can he wait to tell the world that America's hey day is behind us! When was the last time BO unqualifiedly praised America!? When!? Dig that quote up for us!

So, excuse me if I sound a wee bit incredulous and your phony, smug, self-righteous indignation. For all these reasons above (and more I haven't even touched upon) and due to the circumstances surrounding the school's ban on this kid's flag carrying, my suspicions about the school administration's motives are reasonable. Neither the school nor any Mexican student had any problems with this kid's flag, which he had been flying for quite awhile, until VETERANS DAY! Then all of a sudden, the flag became an issue. And just as suddenly as it became an issue on the holiday, after the holiday it just as suddenly became a non-issue. How come all those supposedly pissed off, offended Mexican students didn't kick up a fuss before Veterans' Day? Funny how that worked. :rolleyes: :rolleyes: And since libs are notorious for playing the race card at every opportunity, they probably saw one on Veterans Day and said this was the perfect opportunity to play it.

Boxcar

mostpost
11-20-2010, 12:26 PM
lol, now you dont think that was just a "slip" by mosty do ya?
piss on you mosty (lessy).
I'm more american than you think. You don't see me carry an italian flag. do you?
a parody plays so well on the net...............
JR, you are so right. For a parody to be effective, you need an audience that understands that you are doing a parody. From the top three quotes here it is apparent that some do not.
gl45, you are here on a green card and you are already as intolerant as any native born American. Congratulations. :rolleyes:
Newt, I said what I meant and I meant what I said.
Riskman, Of course they're Canadians. Actually, I believe 46 is an expatriate American living in Canada. That was the whole point of my post. To explain it in simple terms, in my original reply to Gl45 I was making fun of conservative posters here who think that any person who is not a real American should not be able to express an opinion on this forum. JustRalph got it. It seems few others did.

cj's dad
11-20-2010, 12:30 PM

Where is 46 ? Anyone know ?

boxcar
11-20-2010, 12:35 PM

He should have kept the peace by keeping the Mexican kids after school and making them take a Tolerance 101 course -- assuming these kids were the problem, which is highly questionable.

Boxcar

DJofSD
11-20-2010, 12:45 PM
Banned. But still alive elsewhere.

Tom
11-20-2010, 12:58 PM

46 go Bye bye.

cj's dad
11-22-2010, 01:59 PM
keep your eyes open for a new member:

64 LizLaz

DJofSD
11-22-2010, 02:07 PM
Like, that'll be his doppleganger, right?

boxcar
11-22-2010, 03:07 PM
Like, that'll be his doppleganger, right?

Whatever it'll be, his modus operandi of boring, drive-by posting will betray him.

Boxcar