PDA

View Full Version : Jerry Bossert on Zenyatta

GARY Z
11-19-2010, 06:03 AM
Interesting notes on Zenyatta after the Classic and her retirement.

Mike Smith was left alone to do the post race commentary
with no assist from John Shireffs or the Moss crew, and Mike
took the blame, which INMHO is questionable.It would have been
a chance for "Team Z" to absolve him of the loss and dwell on the
highlights of the incredible career of Zen.

Additionally,the rerirement announcement was made by Lane's End,
again,not from the owners, and no comment.

Generally speaking the racing public looks for some type of
closure on such event in racing.Case in point was the loss of Barbaro,
with the Jacksons and Dean Richardson expressing the highlights
of the career of Barbaro and sorrow of their loss.

Some of these points were noted by Jerry Bossert in the Daily News
on 11/18.Usuallu, I disagree with his picks, but I stand with him
on ice cold silence of the owners during the past few weeks.

BluegrassProf
11-19-2010, 10:20 AM
I saw this comment re: the retirement posted somewhere late last night, and admittedly fell victim to an attack of compulsive eye-rolling. Was cah-razy, yo!

:rolleyes: <-- (like that, only waaaay worse)

As critical as I've been of these particular connections, I actually happen to think that Zen's retirement announcement was handled appropriately.

Certainly, I'm the first to appreciate the notion of respect for fans and supporters; at the end of the day, all other stuff aside, I am one. However, this growing notion that connections must always defer to to those fans for decisionmaking - the expectation of ubiquitous access and deference, that fans are "owed" by their equine infatuation and co., particularly in moments such as a horse's retirement - that drives me just completely batty.
closure on such event in racing.And increasingly-so, it would seem, particularly with horses like Curlin, Rachel A., Zenyatta, etc., even Barbaro, though the context was different, for which there's a strong public attachment. They expect bombastic announcements; they expect sendoff parties and farewell dinners. But you know what we're owed in these situations? Not a damned thing.

The presumption of deference is unfair - it's unfair to the connections, and in many cases, it's unfair to the horse him/herself. At some point, we've got to let go and be thankful.

These connections - and many others - have given plenty, and we've eaten it all up with great gusto. We're lucky when we get to see holistic and fantastic retirement announcements and/or celebrations. But for those closest to our athletes, these are times for action and reflection, a fact that should be sufficiently respected by all.

For those interested, Zen will in fact be sent off on her merry way with an event at HW Park on Dec. 5th; that's great, and under the circumstances, I think perfecty appropriate (Zen is a horse that seems to relish the large crowd...it's likely a less a taxing event for her than it might be for more exciteable or headstrong horses that may end up getting wound up under those circumstances). If further closure is what we're after, perhaps we should reflect upon the meaning and be happy that, with patience, closure will surely come - in this case, perhaps with pictures of Zen happily grazing in the Bluegrass.

OntheRail
11-19-2010, 10:33 AM
closure on such event in racing.
Well they're doing the whole Hollywood Farewell thing.... Again.

I'm sure the gold chain guy will be there... :lol: