PDA

View Full Version : Whats the most degenerate thing you've ever seen done at the track?

Zippy Chippy
11-18-2010, 10:23 PM
Was trying to think of the best way to word this. Scumbaggiest came to mind

Im still always amazed that every time i go to the track I see the same exact people bumming money, picking up tickets etc. Im sure you guys have some great stories. Im more of a rookie, but the craziest thing i've ever seen is a guy cashing a $700 tri ticket for another person, he was being the 10%er and cashing the ticket and running out the door.

cj
11-18-2010, 10:27 PM
Nice story.

Bruddah
11-18-2010, 10:41 PM
I have been very fortunate. My home track attempts, and usually suceeds at keeping a clean and wholesome environment for its' customers. Come to think of it, I haven't seen any real "scumbaggy" incidents at any of the tracks I have played since 1965. I suppose, I have lived in a glass bubble as far as Horse Racing.

Thanks for pointing out how fortunate I've been. :ThmbUp:

cj
11-18-2010, 10:48 PM
I have been very fortunate. My home track attempts, and usually suceeds at keeping a clean and wholesome environment for its' customers. Come to think of it, I haven't seen any real "scumbaggy" incidents at any of the tracks I have played since 1965. I suppose, I have lived in a glass bubble as far as Horse Racing.

Where do you go? I know there are no tracks in MS. Just curious, spent some time there in my Air Force days. I was at Birmingham opening year for thoroughbreds...great time and saw Leonard beat Hagler via closed circuit at UAB.

Zippy Chippy
11-18-2010, 10:50 PM

Wow, there are 3 tracks i go to .. I might go about twice a month. I almost always see something, even if its minor. About a month ago i left a $5 on the bar to order a beer, i went to make a bet and saw a guy come over and take my $5 off of the bar! What balls!!!

appistappis
11-18-2010, 10:55 PM
One time, I looked in a mirror. ;)

toussaud
11-18-2010, 10:55 PM

Im still always amazed that every time i go to the track I see the same exact people bumming money, picking up tickets etc. Im sure you guys have some great stories. Im more of a rookie, but the craziest thing i've ever seen is a guy cashing a $700 tri ticket for another person, he was being the 10%er and cashing the ticket and running out the door.
That sounds more drug addictish than degenrate. Stupid guy. Got what he deserved.

JustRalph
11-18-2010, 10:59 PM

How far did they chase you?

garyscpa
11-18-2010, 11:00 PM
A ten per center had a mark, and he told the mark he'd split a long-shot superfecta with the guy. The bet cost a couple of hundred and he told the guy he'd go make the bet. He came back and showed the guy the ticket. Then he went and canceled the bet and pocketed the money. Lo and behold the Super came in at $20K. The ten per center got barred from the track. Went to the well once too often.

Zippy Chippy
11-18-2010, 11:00 PM
How far did they chase you?

I had a good head start so there was no catching me :lol:

Zippy Chippy
11-18-2010, 11:02 PM
A ten per center had a mark, and he told the mark he'd split a long-shot superfecta with the guy. The bet cost a couple of hundred and he told the guy he'd go make the bet. He came back and showed the guy the ticket. Then he went and canceled the bet and pocketed the money. Lo and behold the Super came in at $20K. The ten per center got barred from the track. Went to the well once too often.

What happened when it hit? Did he fess up? or take off? He musta been sick :bang:

garyscpa
11-18-2010, 11:05 PM
What happened when it hit? Did he fess up? or take off? He musta been sick :bang:

He was lucky the guy didn't kill him. Security just permanently banned him.

He was a known ten per center who lived in his car and on the cell phone trying to get his marks to come in.

toussaud
11-18-2010, 11:16 PM

That sounds more drug addict than degenerate. Stupid guy. Got what he deserved.

jballscalls
11-19-2010, 12:05 AM
last month i had a guy who was selling VHS tapes out of his coat in our OTB. the guy is a regular bettor but he was tapped. I got La Bamba on VHS for $3, then we had to ask him to leave :)

Hoofless_Wonder
11-19-2010, 02:05 AM
Surely someone who's been in the infield on Derby Day at Churchill can enlighten us on this topic?

The first thing that popped into my head was back in the late 1980s at Fairmount Park, there was an old (homeless looking) guy who fell down and was so drunk he couldn't stand back up. He was rolling around on the dirty concrete floor in the grandstand, with one of the big, fat, obnoxious regulars pointing and laughing uproarishly at him. It was so sad, but funny in juvenile sort of way. The fat guy was a complete idiot.

Fortunately, a couple of guys with a little more social grace helped the poor bastard to his feet, so he could stagger out of the place. Security, as always, nowhere to be seen.

However, many more good memories than bad - just not so many from FP.

eastie
11-19-2010, 02:14 AM
Where do you go? I know there are no tracks in MS. Just curious, spent some time there in my Air Force days. I was at Birmingham opening year for thoroughbreds...great time and saw Leonard beat Hagler via closed circuit at UAB.

Hagler won that fight, the judges blew it, a disgraceful performance by them. It was Mugabi who did the real damage to Hagler in his previous fight. Leonard never would have had the balls to fight him till he saw the beating he took from (and also gave) Mugabi. The beast desrved a better fate. If you want to watch as brutal a fight as you will ever see, check out Hagler/ Mugabi.

offtrack
11-19-2010, 05:58 AM
I met a guy who had lost his wife, his friends, and had no money, but managed to drink to excess often.

He was my trainer.

PhantomOnTour
11-19-2010, 07:11 AM
One time I got so wasted at the Preakness that I stepped onto the track and took a swing at Artax. :liar:

Zippy Chippy
11-19-2010, 08:03 AM
Hagler won that fight, the judges blew it, a disgraceful performance by them. It was Mugabi who did the real damage to Hagler in his previous fight. Leonard never would have had the balls to fight him till he saw the beating he took from (and also gave) Mugabi. The beast desrved a better fate. If you want to watch as brutal a fight as you will ever see, check out Hagler/ Mugabi.

Man i was really young and I think after that fight and do this day boxing has become a joke and kind of a novelty sport. I can't take it seriously

A. Pineda
11-19-2010, 11:30 AM
There were a dozen guys that used to hang out at one of the large tables at the SA Paddock Gardens and watch all of the action on the monitor. One guy, "Joe," who was more animated than the rest, ("He dropped the whip, he dropped the f'n whip!"), was noticeably absent for a while. Word got around that he had suffered a heart attack.

Next thing, "Joe" shows up wearing his hospital jammies and wrist bracelet, a windbreaker, and shoes sans socks. He stayed the whole day and we never saw him again.

elhelmete
11-19-2010, 12:40 PM
I saw someone sell (at a 'discount,' natch) yesterday's DRF with today's front page wrapped over it. Right near the turnstyles.

Valuist
11-19-2010, 12:42 PM
I thought the word degenerate was a noun.

I saw a guy who was homeless living out of his Jaguar. Yes, that's right. He had a good job but a bigger ego. He was too good to create his own figures, too proud to watch replays and make trip notes. In his mind, he could remember everything. His job was in sales for his dad's company. The dad sold the business. He started increasing his wagers about 10 fold and trying to recoup losses. Ended up losing his house in foreclosure, and eventually had the Jaguar repossessed. Supposedly went to GA and didn't see him at the track for a couple years. But yeah, he ended up coming back.

Another guy was an attorney. A friend of mine who happens to be a professional handicapper was good friends with this guy. He was a decent bettor, but again, his $200 a race wagers started going to $2000. He started stealing from client's escrow accounts. My friend loaned him $30K but had a lien on his house. The attorney eventually got caught stealing from his clients, was disbarred and went to jail.

onefast99
11-19-2010, 12:42 PM
Several years ago I went to the Meadowlands to watch the GP card on a Monday in February. I stayed thru the 8th and in that race there was a stewards inquiry and then an objection by the jock on the 5th place finisher against the 4th place finisher and the second place finisher. The replays took quite a while and the stewards dq'd the 2nd place finisher and placed him last. There was a patron who got real upset at the decision of the stewards and began turning over a few garbage cans while yelling every curse word you could imagine, he had his young son with him who was about 7 or 8 years old. He started yelling at the kid for no apparent reason and grabbed him by his jacket. Several security officers came, they told this guy to clean up the garbage and return the cans to their respective positions. The kid was in tears and I am sure he will never go to the track with his dad again.

Grits
11-19-2010, 12:53 PM
Several years ago I went to the Meadowlands to watch the GP card on a Monday in February. I stayed thru the 8th and in that race there was a stewards inquiry and then an objection by the jock on the 5th place finisher against the 4th place finisher and the second place finisher. The replays took quite a while and the stewards dq'd the 2nd place finisher and placed him last. There was a patron who got real upset at the decision of the stewards and began turning over a few garbage cans while yelling every curse word you could imagine, he had his young son with him who was about 7 or 8 years old. He started yelling at the kid for no apparent reason and grabbed him by his jacket. Several security officers came, they told this guy to clean up the garbage and return the cans to their respective positions. The kid was in tears and I am sure he will never go to the track with his dad again.

If the guy raged like this in public, screaming at his young son . . . . surely one knows there was concern for the child . . . . what must the guy have been like at home when there was no one watching?

Some people shouldn't ever be able to have children.

Bruddah
11-19-2010, 12:59 PM

When my health allow these days, I play Oaklawn, my home track since 1965. However in past years, I visited and played at over 35 different tracks across the Nation. (East to West)

Yes, some were better than others but I never saw anything which would be considered "scumbaggy". Matter of fact, quite the opposite. I do have sympathy for any of you that have "scumbaggy" tracks you must visit. I am sure there are some but I have been very fortunate not to have seen them.

mrhorseplayer
11-19-2010, 01:11 PM
One time I got so wasted at the Preakness that I stepped onto the track and took a swing at Artax. :liar:

LMFAO :lol:

Steve 'StatMan'
11-19-2010, 01:12 PM
Many years ago, I left the track (AP) and out in the parking lot was a lady taking her anger out on her young son. I couldn't help hear that she had won $50 (must have been a LOT for her), but was balling out the kid she'd left alone - he'd spent about $20 in the video games. She was wapping him in the head occasionally. Kinda wish I'd got close enough to yell at her and try stopping her. No security way out where I parked. No cell phones back then.

Maybe another was to regularly see the guy on the 3rd floor at Hawthorne yack up huge phlegm balls and spit them in the water fountain. No wonder normally nobody used that water fountain.

I always thought it was a bit tack to try to sell ones simulcast program for $1 outside after leaving, near the entrance, but that might just be me. (The live programs at AP & HAW are free with admission - nice, but kills the sales of the forms and tip sheets the company I work for distributes.)

teddy
11-19-2010, 02:16 PM
I have seen so much... One guy told his young kid he was fing stupid infront of a whole bunch of p eople. The kid was probably 8 and the dad had lost a bet and the kid thought he had the winner. That gave me the sick stomach feeling.

Another guy passed out at derby in trash and they woke him up and he started eating a piece of chicken bone... with 100 people cheering him on.

My bro was working at keeneland and stooped 4 bags of ticket, that degenerate cashed over a grand thenext day.. back when a grand was like 5k now.

I saw a guy hack a big one in a beer can and a degenerat came over and stole his beer... needless to say he only took one drink of the beer. That still gags me to think of it.

teddy
11-19-2010, 02:18 PM
yah and they didnt refund the bet on artax

johnhannibalsmith
11-19-2010, 03:44 PM
I'm ashamed to admit I could probably write a book...

One of the greatest days in the midst of true racetrack scumbaggery -

I had run a horse in one of the first few races and was done at the barn, went back up to the grandstand to watch the last several races in the usual spot, the section of a dozen or so tables usually occupied the same bunch of horsemen.

The place seems overly crowded and I spot a friend, Crazy John sitting in a different seat than usual, clearly at a heightened state of aggravation (which is never good.) He loudly declares that the two people across the way are a couple of drunken m'f'n'c's'n'nogood'c'k's'r'm'f'e' and on and on that way as he would occassionally do.

Well that didn't get the two guys too worked up, but it got another table of inebriated horsemen rolling, egging him on. With that, the one guy that had drawn the ire of Crazy John starts bellering about betting and staggers up, falls down and drops his soda all over the aisle next to Crazy John.

Crazy John kicks his soda across the building, threatens him with a pepper shaker, and now his buddy is telling him he better watch out or he was going to get beat up. The guy stands up and scurries off to bet and now EVERYONE is cackling at this ridiculous comedy act and watching and Crazy John's blood pressure is on tilt, he's sweating mad, and here comes the guy back staggering down the stairs.

He saunters past Crazy John and to his table where his buddy is at and with that all hell breaks loose. The guy's demanding to know where his money is. He's screaming "I had $10,000 on this table when I got up and now it's gone!"

$10,000. This guy was dressed like the Gordon's Fish Sticks guy in the middle of spring in the desert and he has apparently misplaced his stack of thousand dollar bills that was laying next to his stack-o-losing .10 cent super tickets.

No, no - he hadn't misplaced it - someone had stolen it and as delusional as the guy was, he immediately deduced that it MUST have been his friend, because that way he would blame it on Crazy John. He had it all figured out and was attacking his friend for stealing his $10,000.

Well here comes track security and all that's missing is the theme music from Police Academy - guys slipping on banana peels and crashing into two other guards like bowling pins, their 9mm bottles of pepper spray discharging wildly into one another's eyes causing one to fall into the seafood platter and get pinched by a lobster on the nose...

So on goes the battle and now there are side bets going on among tables on whether there was ever any money, who has it if it exists, whether either one would ever manage to land one of the wildly random, drunken punches being launched... So finally the city police arrives - two guys - two young, football player looking cops and they are looking down on this scene that resembles the old cartoon fight scenes - an arm here, a plate there, a shoe, a menu, a head, a chair - and they casually approach.

"Gentlemen, gentlemen..." the one cop begins sternly.

"This no good #*$*^%(#$ stole $10,000 from me and spilled my beer!"

With that he turns around and slaps the guy right in the mouth.

"OHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!" goes up from the collective captive audience.

The other cop wasn't so big on words, latching onto the back of the man's neck like a croc on a wildebeest and setting him down with the gentleness of a calf roper.

"OHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!" again from the crowd.

The other cop turns away from the alleged thief in order to "help" his buddy subdue the "theft victim" and the other guy starts to walk off. The crowd is yelling to the cops that the guy is on the split but they're busy wrapping the guy up for transport like a transplant heart.

So Crazy John leans over in the direction of hogtied PretzelMan about the time the cops realize the other guy is 220 yards away and says "that son of a bitch that stole your $5,000 is getting away!"

"M@#$@& IT's $10,000!!!!!!" and he's about to turn himself inside out like a sock he's so worked up again trying to get loose, screaming at the cops to get him. As the one cop trots after the guy, he's looking over his shoulder walking fast and crashes directly into a closed glass door. The cop catches him fairly easily.

Both get dragged out screaming mad that the cops won't let them drive home. Then race nine seemed very anticlimactic.

rubicon55
11-19-2010, 04:02 PM

I had run a horse in one of the first few races and was done at the barn, went back up to the grandstand to watch the last several races in the usual spot, the section of a dozen or so tables usually occupied the same bunch of horsemen.

The place seems overly crowded and I spot a friend, Crazy John sitting in a different seat than usual, clearly at a heightened state of aggravation (which is never good.) He loudly declares that the two people across the way are a couple of drunken m'f'n'c's'n'nogood'c'k's'r'm'f'e' and on and on that way as he would occassionally do.

Who needs T.V. when reality is sooo entertaining. Thanks for the amusing post.

Well that didn't get the two guys too worked up, but it got another table of inebriated horsemen rolling, egging him on. With that, the one guy that had drawn the ire of Crazy John starts bellering about betting and staggers up, falls down and drops his soda all over the aisle next to Crazy John.

Crazy John kicks his soda across the building, threatens him with a pepper shaker, and now his buddy is telling him he better watch out or he was going to get beat up. The guy stands up and scurries off to bet and now EVERYONE is cackling at this ridiculous comedy act and watching and Crazy John's blood pressure is on tilt, he's sweating mad, and here comes the guy back staggering down the stairs.

He saunters past Crazy John and to his table where his buddy is at and with that all hell breaks loose. The guy's demanding to know where his money is. He's screaming "I had $10,000 on this table when I got up and now it's gone!"

$10,000. This guy was dressed like the Gordon's Fish Sticks guy in the middle of spring in the desert and he has apparently misplaced his stack of thousand dollar bills that was laying next to his stack-o-losing .10 cent super tickets.

No, no - he hadn't misplaced it - someone had stolen it and as delusional as the guy was, he immediately deduced that it MUST have been his friend, because that way he would blame it on Crazy John. He had it all figured out and was attacking his friend for stealing his $10,000.

Well here comes track security and all that's missing is the theme music from Police Academy - guys slipping on banana peels and crashing into two other guards like bowling pins, their 9mm bottles of pepper spray discharging wildly into one another's eyes causing one to fall into the seafood platter and get pinched by a lobster on the nose...

So on goes the battle and now there are side bets going on among tables on whether there was ever any money, who has it if it exists, whether either one would ever manage to land one of the wildly random, drunken punches being launched... So finally the city police arrives - two guys - two young, football player looking cops and they are looking down on this scene that resembles the old cartoon fight scenes - an arm here, a plate there, a shoe, a menu, a head, a chair - and they casually approach.

The other cop wasn't so big on words, latching onto the back of the man's neck like a croc on a wildebeest and setting him down with the gentleness of a calf roper.

The other cop turns away from the alleged thief in order to "help" his buddy subdue the "theft victim" and the other guy starts to walk off. The crowd is yelling to the cops that the guy is on the split but they're busy wrapping the guy up for transport like a transplant heart.

So Crazy John leans over in the direction of hogtied PretzelMan about the time the cops realize the other guy is 220 yards away and says "that son of a bitch that stole your $5,000 is getting away!"

"M@#$@& IT's $10,000!!!!!!" and he's about to turn himself inside out like a sock he's so worked up again trying to get loose, screaming at the cops to get him. As the one cop trots after the guy, he's looking over his shoulder walking fast and crashes directly into a closed glass door. The cop catches him fairly easily.

Both get dragged out screaming mad that the cops won't let them drive home. Then race nine seemed very anticlimactic.

Who need T.V. when reality is so sooo entertaining. Thanks for the amusing post.

JustRalph
11-19-2010, 05:40 PM
I met a guy who had lost his wife, his friends, and had no money, but managed to drink to excess often.

He was my trainer.
:lol:

I am sure many many guys could say that..............

Grits
11-19-2010, 07:19 PM
GREAT story, JHS. Outstanding.

Learned Hand35
11-19-2010, 07:27 PM

If it were up to me JHS, I would give you the thread prize for this post. Excellent story.

rstone
11-20-2010, 12:02 AM
Guy at Thisledown screaming "NOT AT THE WIRE....NOT AT THE WIRE" and as his horse got gunned down at the last second, he screamed a few obscenities and took his DRF, page by page by page, ripped it up completely and threw it all over the floor and left, still seething and swearing.

Java Gold@TFT
11-20-2010, 07:27 AM
Back when Saratoga opened the infield I saw a drunk get in a fight with a swan. If you get too close they can get aggressive and one took a run at him. He kicked the swan in return for aggravating it. When people were able to get security over to break up the 'fight' he was escorted out with a cruelty to an animal charge.

JohnGalt1
11-20-2010, 08:32 AM
A few years ago at Canterbury while watching a simulcast race on the second floor, a couple--he an over weight long haired bearded biker/hippy type asked his female companion for their voucher. She dug in her purse to no avail.

She said, "I can't find it."

Then in a raised voice he said, "You can't do anything right. You're hopeless. I knew I never should've given it to you." And more of this followed.

I felt sorry for her. She just stood there meekly taking it. And like the above examples I thought if he talks to her in public like this, what is he like at home?

Cardus
11-20-2010, 04:25 PM

I've yet to meet someone from the Commonwealth who thinks that Leonard won that fight. Not one.

Not only did Hagler not lose the fight, according to the Mass. faithful, but he won it fairly easily.

Amazing.

JustRalph
11-20-2010, 05:38 PM
Sugar Ray loves to talk about it

He used to come into the wife's restaurant and would gladly debate it with other restaurant patrons.

He was a heck of nice guy according to the wife. I have never met him.

exactatom
11-21-2010, 12:27 AM
Talk about Fairmount Park and degenerate, what about the old man who sells old candy bars on the table near the men's room entrance?

Worst run business I have ever seen.

Zippy Chippy
11-21-2010, 12:30 AM
I've yet to meet someone from the Commonwealth who thinks that Leonard won that fight. Not one.

Not only did Hagler not lose the fight, according to the Mass. faithful, but he won it fairly easily.

Amazing.

LOL im from mass and i do admit i think i was only about 15 years old at the time, but it was one of the first fights ive ever seen but everyone in the room was positive that Hagler won and so was I. I thought it was a shock when Ray won. Id actually like to watch it again now.

exactatom
11-21-2010, 12:39 AM
I watched the fight this evening again and no way Leonard won this fight. I live nowhere near Massachusetts.

chickenhead
11-21-2010, 01:02 AM
Just general ass hattery......There was a fight in the grandstands last year at ferndale, two attractive 20 year old girls, hair pulling etc. Lots of noise, the entire grandstand turns to watch. A young guy, friend to someone, charges up the stairs to help. Reaches their aisle and heads down it, and gets immediately rocked by someone the next row up. Just Destroyed.

The grandstands are fairly steep there, this guy flies over about 3 rows on his way down.
What had me laughing, is as the cops are escorting everyone out, the guy that went airborne, the entire ass had been torn out of his pants, musta caught a nail on the landing.

Big applause from the crowd for them all.

rrpic6
11-21-2010, 09:10 AM
I saw that! Those Security guys made you look like Duk Koo Kim. That was the most bizarre thing I saw live at a track.

RR

PhantomOnTour
11-21-2010, 09:18 AM
I saw that! Those Security guys made you look like Duk Koo Kim. That was the most bizarre thing I saw live at a track.

RR
I woulda whipped Artax and the security guards but I wasn't getting a hold of the Pimlico surface...shoulda had a workout over the track.

rrpic6
11-21-2010, 09:49 AM
I used to go to Mountaineer Park often on Sundays and sit with two friends that are used car dealers (no, don't jump to conclusions, these are the honest guys). The Simulcast Managers (they all have been fired and replaced by "Slot Hosts") would save us seats in the front row. We would have a few nice scores together, so people would come up asking "who do you like" a lot.

My one car dealer friend, Ron would not really handicap, but would use a combo of Todays Racing Digest picks and BRIS's Profit Line. Every so often this combo would work out nicely for him. He would download this info daily and take it to his car lot to pass the time if things were slow. He'd bet a cheap pick/place 9 at Santa Anita on his call-a-bet and check the results at home at night.

One day Santa Anita has a nice pick 6 carryover so Ron does his combo-type handicapping thing to make a $48 ticket to call in. Just then one of the Mountaineer locals/degenerates walks in the car lot out of the blue (its in Youngstown, 50 miles away from the track). This guy is looking for a cheap used car and knows Ron is a good guy with cheap used cars. This guy sees the Racing Digest on Ron's desk and finds out about his ticket. Ron has not called in the bet yet, so this guy says he wants half and will play it live at Mountaineer as soon as he leaves the car lot. Ron gives him $24...the guy does not buy a car.

I'm sure you can figure out the rest of the story....

Ron calls the guy after each leg of the pick 6. The guy is excited..'good pick, Ron we got it". As the last leg approaches and Ron's ticket is alive to 2 logical horses the guy calls back and says he's lost the ticket. The final leg is also a winner..it pays 10K. The guy now has everyone at Mountaineer dumping garbage cans looking for the ticket. The Simulcast Manager is pretty wise, so he checks the tellers' computers for bets at Santa Anita. No $48 pick 6 ticket wager was made. The guy pocketed the $24 Ron gave him.

A few weeks later he walks into Ron's car lot (after disappearing from Mountaineer for good) begging for forgiveness. Ron says "once I get my five thousand you are forgiven". The guy starts to cry and promises to pay him. No one sees the guy for years until his obituary pops up in the local paper.

RR

eastie
12-02-2010, 08:52 AM

Amazing.

you know less about boxing than you do about hosses....which is really saying something.

I'll bet that you used to wear figure skates, not Super Tacks growing up.

Johnny V
12-02-2010, 10:30 PM
From the Baltimore Sun: On Feb. 2, 1961, at 1 p.m., a train carrying fans to Bowie Race Course derailed near the race track, killing six and injuring more than 200. Undaunted, a number of passengers scrambled over the dead and wounded, smashed windows and hurried on foot to Bowie, in 15-degree cold, to place their bets before the first race.

One man walked to the track with a broken collarbone. Another limped out of the woods nearby carrying a bag of money and one of his shoes.

"I saw people with blood all over them, standing there (at the mutual windows) betting," trainer King Leatherbury, 77, recalled. "That's what you call hard-core horseplayers."

sandpit
12-02-2010, 10:44 PM
One evening after the last race at Ellis Park, we're all making our way out behind the jockey's room towards the exit in front of the racing office. As we come around the jocks' building, we hear all this screaming and general commotion. Two women are going at it full force; punching, kicking, biting, scratching, you name it. Plus they are calling each other all the standards.

Some of the jocks hear all the racket and they come out; turns out it's wife and girlfriend of one of the riders, Tracy Hebert. The wife had apparently recently came to find out about Hebert's side action. The wife was Cajun, like him, so she had plenty of fight in her. The jocks ended up separating these two bimbos, who both got ruled off by the stewards, who were there for all the action too.

PhantomOnTour
12-02-2010, 11:24 PM
One evening after the last race at Ellis Park, we're all making our way out behind the jockey's room towards the exit in front of the racing office. As we come around the jocks' building, we hear all this screaming and general commotion. Two women are going at it full force; punching, kicking, biting, scratching, you name it. Plus they are calling each other all the standards.

Some of the jocks hear all the racket and they come out; turns out it's wife and girlfriend of one of the riders, Tracy Hebert. The wife had apparently recently came to find out about Hebert's side action. The wife was Cajun, like him, so she had plenty of fight in her. The jocks ended up separating these two bimbos, who both got ruled off by the stewards, who were there for all the action too.
So if I read this correctly what you are trying to say is that Hebert definitely did not have a live mount in both ends of the 'Daily Double'.

menifee
12-02-2010, 11:24 PM
I once saw some scumbag carrying around a baby in a bjorn (thing you carry a baby around your chest) around Suffolk downs. The baby must have been 3 months old. The guy was betting on races while the baby slept. Turns out the wife was out of town and tasked the father with watching the kid. Guy was sitting on the bench reading the form with one hand and giving a bottle to the kid with another. Rock bottom.

My wife never found out, if she did I might never see my kid again.

Alacrity
12-03-2010, 12:15 AM
Talk about Fairmount Park and degenerate, what about the old man who sells old candy bars on the table near the men's room entrance?

Worst run business I have ever seen.

Those were the bomb man.

I only have like 1 story and it was at the Fairmount Park kitchen. These old ladies who used to cook the food would often wipe their nose with their hands and not wash them afterwards. All those poor people who had went their to eat. Nasty hillbillies.

Run Nicholas Run
12-09-2010, 10:11 PM
there was a guy at Aqueduct circa '92 who we named "link"
as the missing link.
This guy used to stoop, but not for tickets but for "roaches".
The roaches were the end of the joints the rastas used to discard
and this hurter used to stoop and pick them up and smoke them.

Rapid Grey
12-09-2010, 10:29 PM
A guy at Keeneland one time split a pick 3 with a couple of other guys. When the ticket hit he cashed the ticket himself, kept the money and had the teller give him the cashed/cancelled ticket back. He then found a pair of scissors and cut off the portion of the ticket that shows it was cashed then gives the ticket back to the others telling them they can cash it. Keeneland figured out the scam and barred the guy for life.

tzipi
12-10-2010, 06:35 PM
A guy at Keeneland one time split a pick 3 with a couple of other guys. When the ticket hit he cashed the ticket himself, kept the money and had the teller give him the cashed/cancelled ticket back. He then found a pair of scissors and cut off the portion of the ticket that shows it was cashed then gives the ticket back to the others telling them they can cash it. Keeneland figured out the scam and barred the guy for life.

Where did they guy find a pair of scissors at the track? :)

garyoz
12-10-2010, 09:34 PM
there was a guy at Aqueduct circa '92 who we named "link"
as the missing link.
This guy used to stoop, but not for tickets but for "roaches".
The roaches were the end of the joints the rastas used to discard
and this hurter used to stoop and pick them up and smoke them.

Back in 1964 or 1965, I was a young teengager at Hazel Park in the Motor City (they used to run thoroughbreds on the bull ring). There was a guy who was a stooper/mooch who we used to be called a midget, today I guess we would call a short person. He used to pick up discarded cigars on the cement in the grandstand. One time I saw him pick up a very chewed up cigar that a well-heeled guy discarded (back in the '60's normal people went to the track). The guy who had discarded the cigar told him to drop it and in exchange offered him a new cigar. The height-challenged person dropped the stub and gladly took the fresh cigar and put it in his shirt pocket. As soon as the citizen walked away, the stooper quickly circled back and picked up the still wet stub and proceeded to lite-up.

Not quite a rasta roach--but still a youthful memory. Speaking of Rastas, I once took a non-degennie friend to the Big A in February or March. He brought a camera--like tourists do. He tried to take a picture of one of the local Rastas hanging out at the paddock--I guess local color--The Rasta went nuts--like my friend was from INS or something--wanted to break the camera.

thaskalos
12-10-2010, 09:40 PM
I know a guy at the track who is in his early 50s...and he has been completely broke because of his gambling for about 10 years now. His wife drops him off at the local OTB everyday on her way to work; everybody there wonders why she is still staying with him. He tries to make a few bucks as a 10%er...and he also runs an occasional errand for a couple of the bigger bettors there who know him.

A couple of years ago, this guy's son died in a car accident...and people at the OTB felt sorry for him, and were giving him money to help pay for the funeral expenses.

The funeral was held on a Saturday...and right after the burial, this guy shows up at the OTB with his suit still on - and starts betting on the horses with the money that the people there had given him out of sympathy for his kid's death. I can still remember him screaming at the TV screens, and lamenting that he was losing HIS money.

We all could not believe what we were seeing...

Bullet Plane
12-10-2010, 09:44 PM
I used to hang out at the track with a couple of buddies and we noticed one of the regulars brought his mother once a month. He had a long white beard and T-shirt. I told the other guys I thought it was nice of the fellow to bring his mom out to the track once a month.

One of the guys said, "you don't know him too good, do you?"
"No, but I know he's a regular around here."

Yeah, he brings his mom right after the social security checks come out and fleeces her. He's like clockwork. Same time every month. Nice guy!

Robert Goren
12-10-2010, 09:46 PM
I saw a guy streak the finish line while a race was being run.