PDA

View Full Version : Was Lookin At Lucky sold?

letswastemoney
11-17-2010, 11:36 PM
That's what another forum was saying...I'd like to know if anyone here has the inside story.

nijinski
11-18-2010, 12:26 AM
That's what another forum was saying...I'd like to know if anyone here has the inside story.
Wish I had because I heard he was retired to Ashford Stud from a friend but can't find any verification.
With Zenyatta's well deserved attention poor Lucky hasn't been spoken of much.

Honestly the poor guy who's been dazzling us since he was barely two has
had alot of bad luck. Hopefully some reports about his future will come up soon.

joanied
11-18-2010, 10:49 AM
I can't imagine Pegram selling Lucky...and last I read, a few days after the BC, Baffert said he was pretty sure they'd keep him in training as a 4 yr. old...which would be excellent and make sense, since he was a two yr. old for some of his 3 yr. old campaign...he'll just get even better!!

letswastemoney
11-18-2010, 04:41 PM
Considering they announced the Pamplemousse being retired, I can't imagine people wouldn't know whether L@L is still in training or retired.

joanied
11-18-2010, 06:16 PM
Considering they announced the Pamplemousse being retired, I can't imagine people wouldn't know whether L@L is still in training or retired.

No doubt, if Lucky was sold, it would be reported in the mainstream race sites. Again, I just can't see Pegram selling the colt.

Bruddah
11-18-2010, 07:40 PM
No doubt, if Lucky was sold, it would be reported in the mainstream race sites. Again, I just can't see Pegram selling the colt.

I always use Pedigree on Line to update information on horses. They usually keep the information fresh and show when it was last updated.

Lookin at Lucky last updated on 11/06/10

shows Mike Pegram and Gulf Coast Farmms LLC as owners. I am sure the information is current. If any ownership change had been completed in the last 12 days it would be so noted here. They do a very good job of updating and giving the date it was done.

joanied
11-18-2010, 08:58 PM
I always use Pedigree on Line to update information on horses. They usually keep the information fresh and show when it was last updated.

Lookin at Lucky last updated on 11/06/10

shows Mike Pegram and Gulf Coast Farmms LLC as owners. I am sure the information is current. If any ownership change had been completed in the last 12 days it would be so noted here. They do a very good job of updating and giving the date it was done.

Thanks for looking up that info, Bruddah:ThmbUp: ...maybe that will stop this rumor...I'll say it again, I'd be shocked if Pegram sold that colt...no way!!

sandpit
11-18-2010, 09:29 PM
I wouldn't be at all surprised if he wound up at Coolmore within the next week or two and had his stud fee announced somewhere near what Blame's is.

Bruddah
11-18-2010, 10:02 PM
The information didn't show him retired. Until it's officialy announced, I would consider him coming back after a freshening. With Blame retiring, wouldn't a 4yo racing season be to his advantage? I personally see him equal to Blame at 9f. Blame was getting good as he was tailing off.

I think they are in the process of evaluating their opportunities. Besides, if he were going to Stud, they would need to announce it very soon and put a price on his services. (JMHO)

Southieboy
11-18-2010, 11:20 PM
http://www.coolmore.com/stallions-view.php?list=america&id=106
**Subject to change**

letswastemoney
11-18-2010, 11:24 PM
**Subject to change**
Wow.

nijinski
11-18-2010, 11:41 PM
**Subject to change**

That's probably why I heard "Ashdord", it's "Coolmore USA" located in Kentucky.

It looks prelimanary and I must say "Coolmore" had "Sea The Stars" photo
up when he retired and then had to take it down when the Tsui's chose Gilltown Stud.
Looks like something is in the works for "Lucky" though.

Bruddah
11-18-2010, 11:54 PM
**Subject to change**

Nice going Southieboy. That makes it official for me, he'll be going to stud. If they were going to breed next year, they had to decide now. I am curious as to what his price will be. His bloodlines are impeccable.

Still no indication of any ownership change. Do you have anything on that?

Jackal
11-19-2010, 01:47 AM
Lucky has done enough to get attention as a breeding stallion. He should be retired while he is sound. Smart Strike is getting weaker every day. Maybe lucky will be lucky in the breeding shed.

tucker6
11-19-2010, 05:23 AM
[QUOTE=Jackal]Lucky has done enough to get attention as a breeding stallion. /QUOTE]

I guess our expectations are much lower now than in yesteryear.

joanied
11-19-2010, 10:36 AM
That link isn't working, so I typed in coolmore.com and still got just a blank page...I'll try again later, but evidently, you guys are saying that Lucky will be retired?
That sucks, if it's true.

OntheRail
11-19-2010, 10:47 AM
That link isn't working, so I typed in coolmore.com and still got just a blank page...I'll try again later, but evidently, you guys are saying that Lucky will be retired?
That sucks, if it's true.
Yep all I get is a white page as well... maybe the site was hacked and edited.

I mean someone hacked the Fed Bank and caused all kind of havoc.

Hey you never know.... :faint:

joanied
11-19-2010, 11:25 AM
http://www.coolmore.com/roster.php?list=america

I did a Google and got their web site...I searched around it, but the only new stallion announcment is for Munnings.
If something is going on with Lucky, they aren't saying anything just yet.

joanied
11-19-2010, 11:53 AM
http://twitter.com/raceday360/statuses/5469565236543488

I was at the Zipse at the Track web site and saw a tiny headline about Lookin At Lucky...it lead me to Twitter...it says Lucky has a page at Coolmore...
I was just at the Coolmore site about 30 mins. ago and didn't see anything...I have never been to Twitter...anyway, I clicked on the URL in the twitter headline and came up with a blank page...again...
I don't know what's going on:confused:

Bruddah
11-19-2010, 12:41 PM
I don't know what's going on! Last night I clicked on the url in Southieboy's post. It led me to the Coolmore site where they were announcing Lucky standing at Coolmore with a price to be determined. Within a a very short time the rest of you indicated the site was down. It's still down at 11:40am(central) today.

Maybe nothing is final until it's final. :D

letswastemoney
11-19-2010, 01:21 PM
I don't know what's going on! Last night I clicked on the url in Southieboy's post. It led me to the Coolmore site where they were announcing Lucky standing at Coolmore with a price to be determined. Within a a very short time the rest of you indicated the site was down. It's still down at 11:40am(central) today.

omg do you think they read this thread?? lol

Bruddah
11-19-2010, 01:37 PM
omg do you think they read this thread?? lol

Moneywaster, I think it's darker and more sinister than what you suggest. It's an International conspiracy to keep the masses ignorant. :eek: :lol:

joanied
11-19-2010, 01:55 PM

Well, you know what they say about the fat lady...and I can't hear her:D

andymays
11-19-2010, 03:30 PM
This was on the Paulick Report with no link.

LOOKIN AT LUCKY RETIRED, HEADED TO ASHFORD STUD

andymays
11-19-2010, 03:52 PM
http://www.paulickreport.com/blog/lookin-at-lucky-retires-to-ashford-stud/

Press Release

Excerpt:

It takes a horse of rare talent and great soundness to win a Triple Crown race after securing the title of champion two-year-old male. Ashford Stud is therefore delighted to announce that it has secured the stallion services of Lookin At Lucky, winner of the 2009 Eclipse Award for Two-Year-Old Male. The son of Smart Strike is also a leading contender for another Eclipse Award following further Gr.1 victories in the Preakness Stakes and Haskell Invitational, the latter by 4 lengths.

joanied
11-19-2010, 05:58 PM
Just got this in an email from TB Times:
(I am really bummed about this...are we gonna have any older horses running in 2011?)
This e-mail was brought to you by Thoroughbred Times
Visit us at www.thoroughbredtimes.com (http://www.thoroughbredtimes.com/)
Coolmore buys, retires Lookin At Lucky

by Jeff Lowe (jlowe@thoroughbredtimes.com) and Ed DeRosa (ederosa@thoroughbredtimes.com)

Coolmore has purchased and retired champion and classic winner Lookin At Lucky, and the three-year-old Smart Strike (http://www.thoroughbredtimes.com/stallion-directory/stallion.aspx?stallion_no=1365869) colt will begin his stud career in 2011 at Ashford Stud in Versailles, Kentucky.

~~read the rest at the above link~~

Jasonm921
11-19-2010, 06:10 PM
This sport sucks. Every year...the same sh!t.

nijinski
11-19-2010, 09:36 PM
This was on the Paulick Report with no link.

LOOKIN AT LUCKY RETIRED, HEADED TO ASHFORD STUD

He heard it first from the first few posts here. lol

But seriously , Baffert did say there were serious offers after the Classic. so at least his talent is recognized.

nijinski
11-19-2010, 09:39 PM
http://www.paulickreport.com/blog/lookin-at-lucky-retires-to-ashford-stud/

Press Release

Excerpt:

It takes a horse of rare talent and great soundness to win a Triple Crown race after securing the title of champion two-year-old male. Ashford Stud is therefore delighted to announce that it has secured the stallion services of Lookin At Lucky, winner of the 2009 Eclipse Award for Two-Year-Old Male. The son of Smart Strike is also a leading contender for another Eclipse Award following further Gr.1 victories in the Preakness Stakes and Haskell Invitational, the latter by 4 lengths.

And it still amazes me how well he held up through it all being such a late foal.

keithw84
11-20-2010, 03:28 AM
About how much extra money will they make by putting him to stud now than if they had waited until the end of next year?

FenceBored
11-20-2010, 09:05 AM
Any new word on Drosselmeyer's status? He's been on the shelf since July with ankle issues.

Bruddah
11-20-2010, 11:30 AM
About how much extra money will they make by putting him to stud now than if they had waited until the end of next year?

Using ruff ball park numbers, let's say he covers 100 mares at $25k each = $2.5 million. He has to win races with a total purses of $4 million (.60% x $4mil = $2.4 milllion) Now add the factor of possible "fatal racing injuries" and the decision becomes a business no brainer. More to lose than gain if he were to continue racing.

The big question is his first year at stud. Entering the breeding market a little late, can he get enough "quality" mares. Because the success of his first couple of years determines the quality mare and prices he can charge going forward.

my_nameaintearl
11-20-2010, 01:01 PM

Lookin At Lucky

Bay 2007
Smart Strike - Private Feeling
Distance won over: 6f. to 9.5f.

A Champion at 2 years & a Classic winner at 3 years

Winner of 9 races including Preakness Stakes-Gr.1, Haskell Invitational-Gr.1, Del Mar Futurity-Gr.1, Norfolk Stakes-Gr.1, Hollywood Futurity-Gr.1.

"He's one of the best horses I've ever had." Trainer Bob Baffert.

Fee for 2011: TBA

tucker6
11-20-2010, 01:41 PM
Using ruff ball park numbers, let's say he covers 100 mares at $25k each = $2.5 million. He has to win races with a total purses of $4 million (.60% x $4mil = $2.4 milllion) Now add the factor of possible "fatal racing injuries" and the decision becomes a business no brainer. More to lose than gain if he were to continue racing.

The big question is his first year at stud. Entering the breeding market a little late, can he get enough "quality" mares. Because the success of his first couple of years determines the quality mare and prices he can charge going forward.You only put figures to one side of the equation. Say next year he races and wins 5 of 6 in solid fashion. If they then retire him and ask for $50k each, then using your numbers, they're likely to earn much more by letting him race another year. What you say is more likely, but there is another side. An example would be The Bid. I know, I know. He was NOT good in the shed. My point in bringing him up is that he was worth more per cover after age 4 than he would have been after age 3 due to his record during year 4.

keithw84
11-24-2010, 10:03 AM
Link to the article:
http://drf.com/news/ashford-sets-lookin-luckys-stud-fee-35000

Think he will be good in the shed?