PDA

View Full Version : Too many clicks to launch Win 7 programs

CBedo
11-17-2010, 02:15 PM
I just installed Windows 7 on a machine (actually in a virtual machine on my mac), but one of the first things I notice is how annoying it is that it takes so many clicks to actually run a program. When you double click to run something, instead of running, you get plenty of "are you sure" type security warnings. I know these are meant to be helpful, but I wanted them disabled. When I want to run a program, I want it to run, not ask me if I really want to run it!

I thought I'd post the steps so if anyone else want to do the same thing, it would be easy for you.

There are two parts to it, turning down (or off) User Account Control and disabling "open file security warnings." Note: Following these steps will make your system less secure, so proceed at your own risk with caution!

User Account Control

UAC is meant to prevent unauthorized changes to your machine, and seems like a good idea in theory, but seems to only stop the changes I want made, and not the spyware and other junk in practice, lol.

To adjust its settings, just type UAC into the start menu or Control Panel search box, which will bring up the "Change User Account Control settings." Open that and you will be presented with a slider bar to allow you to customize when you are notified. Sliding it all the way down will basically turn it off, which is what I did (again, be careful with your settings. If you are uncomfortable or worried about security, don't turn it off).

Open File Security Warnings

Does anyone ever read these? We all just click through it anyway, so let's turn them off! Here are the steps.

1) Go to the Control Panel.
2) Select Internet Options (type it in the search box and it will appear).ubt
3) Select the Security tab.
4) Choose Custom Level
5) Scroll down to the Miscellaneous branch.
6) Find "Launching applications and unsafe files."
7) Set it to "Enable (not secure)."
8) Click OK.
9) Click Apply & Close.

That's it. Now the warnings are gone. There are a couple other smaller things you might want to do.

First, now that you have changed your settings, Windows will try to warn you (in the menu bar) that you are not secure. If it does, click the warning, and then select the option to not show you messages related to this issue.

Second, if you use Internet Explorer (I dream of a world where noone uses it!), I read that IE will complain every time you open it about your security settings (not sure about this since I don't use IE). If it does, follow these steps to get rid of the messages.

1) Run gpedit.msc (if you type this in the search bar, a program will show up) to change your policies.
2) Under the "Computer Configuration" section,
3) Choose "Administrative Templates."
4) Choose "Windows Components."
5) Choose "Internet Explorer."
6) Change "Turn off the Security settings Check feature" to "Enabled"

That should do it. Now when you double click or run a program, it should actually run without giving you all those annoying warnings. And for the last time, this will make your system somewhat less secure, so if you're uncomfortable with these settings, or randomly run programs that you don't know what they do, DON'T DO IT! :rolleyes:

Hope this helps.

bigmack
11-17-2010, 02:21 PM
http://i165.photobucket.com/albums/u70/macktime/godmo.png

redshift1
11-17-2010, 03:12 PM
I just installed Windows 7 on a machine (actually in a virtual machine on my mac), but one of the first things I notice is how annoying it is that it takes so many clicks to actually run a program. When you double click to run something, instead of running, you get plenty of "are you sure" type security warnings. I know these are meant to be helpful, but I wanted them disabled. When I want to run a program, I want it to run, not ask me if I really want to run it![/I]

You probably know about this already but just in case.

http://guides.macrumors.com/Booting_Windows_on_the_Mac

CBedo
11-17-2010, 03:19 PM
I just installed Windows 7 on a machine (actually in a virtual machine on my mac), but one of the first things I notice is how annoying it is that it takes so many clicks to actually run a program. When you double click to run something, instead of running, you get plenty of "are you sure" type security warnings. I know these are meant to be helpful, but I wanted them disabled. When I want to run a program, I want it to run, not ask me if I really want to run it![/I]

You probably know about this already but just in case.

http://guides.macrumors.com/Booting_Windows_on_the_MacYeah, I have a pretty good handle on this. Your options are either to boot camp Windows (when you boot your machine, you can boot the mac os or windows), or run it in a virtual machine inside the mac os. If you have plenty of memory, running a vm works great. The two most well known ones are Parallels & Fusion, although there are a couple others that work satisfactorily. I run Windows 7 in VMWare Fusion which works awesome. I have a window on my mac desktop that is a windows desktop. Inside that window, i can do anything I could do on a Windows machine. It makes it easy to use windows only programs on my mac, and allows for very easy file sharing between the two operating systems.

redshift1
11-17-2010, 04:02 PM
Yeah, I have a pretty good handle on this. Your options are either to boot camp Windows (when you boot your machine, you can boot the mac os or windows), or run it in a virtual machine inside the mac os. If you have plenty of memory, running a vm works great. The two most well known ones are Parallels & Fusion, although there are a couple others that work satisfactorily. I run Windows 7 in VMWare Fusion which works awesome. I have a window on my mac desktop that is a windows desktop. Inside that window, i can do anything I could do on a Windows machine. It makes it easy to use windows only programs on my mac, and allows for very easy file sharing between the two operating systems.

Which version of Windows 7 did you install I know the OEM is cheaper but limits to one machine.

CBedo
11-17-2010, 04:05 PM
Which version of Windows 7 did you install I know the OEM is cheaper but limits to one machine.I installed Win 7 Professional under a developer's license.

redshift1
11-17-2010, 04:13 PM
I installed Win 7 Professional under a developer's license.

This would work fine right.

WINDOWS 7 HOME PREMIUM 64BIT FULL VERSION

CBedo
11-17-2010, 04:19 PM
This would work fine right.

WINDOWS 7 HOME PREMIUM 64BIT FULL VERSIONabsolutely.