PDA

View Full Version : One Hundred Naked Citizens: One Hundred Leaked Body Scans

andymays
11-16-2010, 11:50 AM
http://gizmodo.com/5690749/these-are-the-first-100-leaked-body-scans

Excerpt:

At the heart of the controversy over "body scanners" is a promise: The images of our naked bodies will never be public. U.S. Marshals in a Florida Federal courthouse saved 35,000 images on their scanner. These are those images.

A Gizmodo investigation has revealed 100 of the photographs saved by the Gen 2 millimeter wave scanner from Brijot Imaging Systems, Inc., obtained by a FOIA request after it was recently revealed that U.S. Marshals operating the machine in the Orlando, Florida courthouse had improperly-perhaps illegally-saved images of the scans of public servants and private citizens.

DJofSD
11-16-2010, 12:31 PM
I see a couple differences: a federal courthouse is not an airport or vice versa and whether or not images are saved/retrieved/published.

Saving images is one thing, retrieving them and publishing them is something else.

andymays
11-16-2010, 12:36 PM
I see a couple differences: a federal courthouse is not an airport or vice versa and whether or not images are saved/retrieved/published.

Saving images is one thing, retrieving them and publishing them is something else.

You know it's a matter of time before someone leaks the image of a celebrity for some money.

boxcar
11-16-2010, 12:36 PM
I heard on the radio yesterday that Israel has solved this little security problem with an ingenious invention that doesn't violate anyone's privacy in the least. (Leave it to the ingenuity and innovativeness of the Israelis!). At the airport, everyone must pass through a "bomb-proof" tunnel or small enclosed structure that is wired to detect any type of explosives and upon sensing any it will detonate them immediately! Gotta love it! Is that brilliant solution or what!?

Boxcar

Greyfox
11-16-2010, 12:45 PM
I heard on the radio yesterday that Israel has solved this little security problem with an ingenious invention that doesn't violate anyone's privacy in the least. (Leave it to the ingenuity and innovativeness of the Israelis!). At the airport, everyone must pass through a "bomb-proof" tunnel or small enclosed structure that is wired to detect any type of explosives and upon sensing any it will detonate them immediately! Gotta love it! Is that brilliant solution or what!?

Boxcar

Israel also relies heavily on observation of human behavior.
They believe that intrusive devices such as X Ray and body frisks provide a false sense of security.
X ray scans are an infringement for sure, but I can live with them if I have to. From what I've read and heard though, the body pat downs at several airports are bordering on, if not well into, sexual assault. That is not acceptable.

PaceAdvantage
11-16-2010, 12:50 PM
I heard on the radio yesterday that Israel has solved this little security problem with an ingenious invention that doesn't violate anyone's privacy in the least. (Leave it to the ingenuity and innovativeness of the Israelis!). At the airport, everyone must pass through a "bomb-proof" tunnel or small enclosed structure that is wired to detect any type of explosives and upon sensing any it will detonate them immediately! Gotta love it! Is that brilliant solution or what!?Link? This can't be true...can it?

Greyfox
11-16-2010, 12:52 PM

Usually I'm at an airport by choice. I know that if I want to fly I'll have to pass through an X ray and do it by choice reluctantly or find another mode of transportation.

However, I may not be at a courthouse by choice. If that's the case, I don't want to be X rayed there.

boxcar
11-16-2010, 01:06 PM
Link? This can't be true...can it?

I heard this either on the Schnitt show or Levin. I can't remember which one. And I I don't have time right now to research this.

But I find your incredulity incredibly curious. Why? Why can't it be true? It's a brilliant idea! If someone is intending to carry explosives aboard a plane, why shouldn't (s)he be blown up? Please provide me with one good reason. Why shouldn't the would-be-terrorist suffer instead of innocent people suffering through all manner of indignities and inconveniences unnecessarily? And moreover, would not this kind of technology act as a pretty darn effective deterrent?

Curiously yours,
Boxcar

Greyfox
11-16-2010, 01:10 PM
It's a brilliant idea! Boxcar

It's a brilliant idea if it is 100 % safe for those who aren't carrying explosives.
But all electronic devices have limits. I wouldn't want to be the 1 in 10,000 identified as a "false positive" as they collected what was left of me.

boxcar
11-16-2010, 01:17 PM
Israel also relies heavily on observation of human behavior.
They believe that intrusive devices such as X Ray and body frisks provide a false sense of security.
X ray scans are an infringement for sure, but I can live with them if I have to. From what I've read and heard though, the body pat downs at several airports are bordering on, if not well into, sexual assault. That is not acceptable.

And I'll tell you what else isn't acceptable: Muslim females in their burkas are exempt from the participating in the security process. Heck...who needs sharia law in this country. PC will substitute nicely? Muslims are also exempt from participating in ObaminationCare, right? Double Standards running rampant in this society will prove to be the kind of corruption that will bring this nation to her knees.

Boxcar

FantasticDan
11-16-2010, 01:19 PM
I heard this either on the Schnitt show or Levin. I can't remember which one. And I I don't have time right now to research this.
But I find your incredulity incredibly curious. Why? Why can't it be true? Becuz it's ridiculously and laughably absurd? :bang: :lol:

boxcar
11-16-2010, 01:21 PM
It's a brilliant idea if it is 100 % safe for those who aren't carrying explosives.
But all electronic devices have limits. I wouldn't want to be the 1 in 10,000 identified as a "false positive" as they collected what was left of me.

I would think extensive testing would have answered that question. They could test extensively -- without implementing the detonation stage, obviously. :D

Boxcar

boxcar
11-16-2010, 01:22 PM
Becuz it's ridiculously and laughably absurd? :bang: :lol:

Why? Are you still living in the Stone Age? Have you heard about technology?

Boxcar

Greyfox
11-16-2010, 01:24 PM
I've found an article on Ben Gurion airport, a year old though, which says the screening area is bomb proof. But if a bomb is found, it is dropped in a "bomb box." They apparently have 5 layers of security.

What Israel Can Teach Us About Security
"First, the screening area is surrounded by contoured, blast-proof glass that can contain the detonation of up to 100 kilos of plastic explosive. Only the few dozen people within the screening area need be removed, and only to a point a few metres away.

Second, all the screening areas contain `bomb boxes.' If a screener spots a suspect bag, he/she is trained to pick it up and place it in the box, which is blast proof. A bomb squad arrives shortly and wheels the box away for further investigation."

More information at : http://www.thestar.com/News/World/article/744426

boxcar
11-16-2010, 02:09 PM
I've found an article on Ben Gurion airport, a year old though, which says the screening area is bomb proof. But if a bomb is found, it is dropped in a "bomb box." They apparently have 5 layers of security.

What Israel Can Teach Us About Security
"First, the screening area is surrounded by contoured, blast-proof glass that can contain the detonation of up to 100 kilos of plastic explosive. Only the few dozen people within the screening area need be removed, and only to a point a few metres away.

Second, all the screening areas contain `bomb boxes.' If a screener spots a suspect bag, he/she is trained to pick it up and place it in the box, which is blast proof. A bomb squad arrives shortly and wheels the box away for further investigation."

More information at : http://www.thestar.com/News/World/article/744426

I think Israel also does in-depth psychological profiling that is conducted by very highly trained security personnel. Apparently, these pysche screeners and quite effective and know how to get inside people's heads.

Whatever it is that the Israelis are doing is light years ahead of our knuckle-dragging, Neanderthal-like ways.

Boxcar

Greyfox
11-16-2010, 03:06 PM
I think Israel also does in-depth psychological profiling that is conducted by very highly trained security personnel.
Boxcar

Absolutely they do psychological profiling. The area of risk over there is so high that there's no need for political correctness. Stereotyping is a given.

highnote
11-16-2010, 04:17 PM

I suspect it is an urban legend.

My friend posted, tongue-in-cheek, the same thing on Facebook a year ago.

He framed it differently. He said, "A good deterrant for to bombers would be ..."

So it seems like this concept changes as it makes the rounds.

Then again, maybe it's true, but I doubt it.

highnote
11-16-2010, 04:19 PM
Absolutely they do psychological profiling. The area of risk over there is so high that there's no need for political correctness. Stereotyping is a given.

I flew El Al about 10 years ago from NY to Tel Aviv and felt very safe. They didn't frisk me or do a virtual strip search. They did question me. As far as I can remember their planes have not been bombed out of the sky.

highnote
11-16-2010, 04:48 PM
I'm only posting this to see if my new signature line is working.

It's working, but I thought in the past it would show up on all my posts -- even my old ones?

boxcar
11-16-2010, 05:31 PM
“The man who is most gullible is the man who is most certain of the truth." -- Mark Twain

Your sig would be okay if Twain had added...for no rational reason. Twain was no better than one of the most famous Skeptics in all of history. This was Pontius Pilate when he asked the Way, the Light and the Truth, "What is truth?"
Pilate literally did not recognize The Truth when he was standing right before him. Talk about the irony of his question!

Boxcar

Dave Schwartz
11-16-2010, 07:37 PM

If it is a "false positive" then there is nothing to blow up.

I like it! :ThmbUp:

Greyfox
11-16-2010, 07:47 PM
If it is a "false positive" then there is nothing to blow up.

I like it! :ThmbUp:

I thought of that too.Then it crossed my mind that a person wearing a bomb would have to be detonated some how. The bomb wouldn't just go off on its own.
Not being an explosives expert, I reasoned that a smaller bomb would be used to blow up a larger bomb. Or some type of taser device, or dozens of them would be set off. Either way the "false positive" would be toast. (Otherwise, there would be nothing to blow up.)

cj's dad
11-16-2010, 09:24 PM

No it is not !!

PaceAdvantage
11-16-2010, 10:09 PM

But I find your incredulity incredibly curious. Why? Why can't it be true? It's a brilliant idea! If someone is intending to carry explosives aboard a plane, why shouldn't (s)he be blown up? Please provide me with one good reason. Why shouldn't the would-be-terrorist suffer instead of innocent people suffering through all manner of indignities and inconveniences unnecessarily? And moreover, would not this kind of technology act as a pretty darn effective deterrent?

Curiously yours,
BoxcarIt was a simple question. Not sure how or why it generated this kind of response.

But, I'll give you one answer for starters. What kind of technology causes all types of explosives to suddenly go off if present in the testing chamber? It would seem whatever technology exists that accomplishes this task would also cause some sort of harm to suspects who are NOT packing explosives on their person. That was my first level of curiosity that generated my response to you.

Rookies
11-16-2010, 10:33 PM
Why? Are you still living in the Stone Age? Have you heard about technology?

Boxcar

Apparently, he's living in the 2nd Millenium and it's you that are in the fantasy Millenium. But, hardly a surprise from this quarter...:lol:

magwell
11-16-2010, 11:24 PM
We cant let the truth get in the way of a good story.....Too bad its not happening....;)

boxcar
11-16-2010, 11:52 PM
Apparently, he's living in the 2nd Millenium and it's you that are in the fantasy Millenium. But, hardly a surprise from this quarter...:lol:

Hey...I'm just stating what I heard on the radio. But that being said...if it isn't true, it's a darn good idea.

Also, I did hear on the Savage show tonight a caller (forget his credentials now) who claimed there is such a thing out there as "sniffing" machines that can sniff out explosives chemicals -- darn near as good as a dog.

Technology will one day solve this problem. But the way the gov is handling this now is totally absurd. It's very expensive, time-consuming, inconvenient, invasive and humiliating -- not to mention unnecessary. Don't believe all this? When was the last time Israel had one of its commercial planes blown up? We could learn a lot from the Israelis. But of course, this Israeli-hating president wouldn't lower himself...

Boxcar

Greyfox
11-17-2010, 12:09 AM
Hey...I'm just stating what I heard on the radio. But that being said...if it isn't true, it's a darn good idea.

Boxcar

It is a darn good idea. :ThmbUp:

NJ Stinks
11-17-2010, 12:46 AM
The other night my (and I, apparently! :) ) were watching Househunters International. A young woman was looking for a house in Isreal. Two of the three homes showcased had a "safe room". This room is made with special materials that protects the inhabitants in case of a bomb attack.

Apparently, that is a big amenity in a house in Isreal.

JustRalph
11-17-2010, 02:28 AM
The other night my (and I, apparently! :) ) were watching Househunters International. A young woman was looking for a house in Isreal. Two of the three homes showcased had a "safe room". This room is made with special materials that protects the inhabitants in case of a bomb attack.

Apparently, that is a big amenity in a house in Isreal.

never heard of a panic room? Lots of houses have them now.

boxcar
11-17-2010, 11:07 AM
never heard of a panic room? Lots of houses have them now.

In fact, several years ago there was a movie made that centered on such a room. The name of the movie was "Panic Room" and it starred Jodie Foster, as I recall. Good movie!

Boxcar

JustRalph
11-19-2010, 09:34 PM
And you thought you had problems with the TSA

http://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/duboard.php?az=view_all&address=389x9591890

highnote
11-19-2010, 11:15 PM
And you thought you had problems with the TSA

http://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/duboard.php?az=view_all&address=389x9591890

Excellent point! TSA frisks and/or electronic strip searches must be very worrysome to a person with ambiguous genitalia -- especially if a person with this type of body is flying to an intolerant country.

What about cross-dressing individuals? They look like women until they are electronically strip searched. Or imagine the shock when a TSA agent feels something that they think shouldn't be between the person's legs. What would they do -- force that person to disrobe?

JustRalph
11-20-2010, 01:21 AM
Or imagine the shock when a TSA agent feels something that they think shouldn't be between the person's legs. What would they do -- force that person to disrobe?

having probably done a couple thousand of these searches in my day, I can tell you that after awhile.......that doesn't shock you after the first few times.

It does make you check the I.D. a little better............

Tom
11-20-2010, 09:20 AM
TSA = pedophile's dream job.
How many perverts do you supposes are employed by TSA?
Are they screening for this during employment interviews?

Land of the free and the home of the groped.
The terrorists have already won.

DJofSD
11-20-2010, 09:44 AM
Hey, was the 8th at MTH today named for the TSA?

rastajenk
11-20-2010, 09:54 AM
Gotta like Well Positioned there.

Tom
11-20-2010, 09:55 AM
TEeRD26hDDw

Tom
11-20-2010, 10:08 AM
The TSA in action........
wkmlj8h6U7M&feature=related

sandpit
11-20-2010, 03:11 PM
With our country focused on ridiculous topics such as this, we have completely lost sight of what we should be focusing on. The terrorists must be laughing as they have our government this full of paranoia when it comes to air travel.

We could stop all this BS in a hurry by telling all these terrorist-supporting countries that the next time one of their citizens attacks our country, we are going to bomb their capital into oblivion. It took the Japanese two times to realize we were serious.

As long as the pseudo-Muslim is president, no chance of it happening though.

skate
11-20-2010, 03:15 PM
AND just look what shows up NOW, it's TOMs Potato (e).:eek:

DJofSD
11-22-2010, 03:11 PM
How does that Aesop's moral go: necessity is the mother of invention?

See: http://www.fox5sandiego.com/community/newsletter/sns-ap-us-shielding-underwear,0,728366.story

boxcar
11-22-2010, 03:23 PM
How does that Aesop's moral go: necessity is the mother of invention?

See: http://www.fox5sandiego.com/community/newsletter/sns-ap-us-shielding-underwear,0,728366.story

People who invent nonsense like this knowingly or unwittingly buy into the government's premise that this blatant invasion into our privacy is okay. The only solution to this PC foolishness is to end it and start acting like real police which involves real profiling which is what real police do.

Boxcar