PDA

View Full Version : Nice Oscar P. - A Train

jognlope
11-15-2010, 12:15 PM
I was looking for "A Train" thinking of NYC, Macy's shopping at Christmas and all that and found this gem.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ipXlVNQ-n5w&feature=related

OTM Al
11-15-2010, 01:28 PM
Kinda like that song. We played in in high school in the marching band, so won't ever forget it. Wish I could forget the A train though...hate when I have to take it. Macy's at Christmas time is also one of the worst experiences ever as well. Won't go near the place. :)

jognlope
11-15-2010, 02:35 PM
I know I used to not like taking the A train, seemed so dark and foreboding. I liked the F train if I had to ride. The east side train "Lexington express" was like riding a roller coaster and actually there was a bad crash because the operator was drunk, in the 90s, some people died. My friend used to sit across from me and laugh, putting his arms up like we were on a roller coaster. The only thing I like about Macy's was the pub in the basement, great chili and beer. Be surprised if it is still running.

OTM Al
11-15-2010, 02:49 PM
I know I used to not like taking the A train, seemed so dark and foreboding. I liked the F train if I had to ride. The east side train "Lexington express" was like riding a roller coaster and actually there was a bad crash because the operator was drunk, in the 90s, some people died. My friend used to sit across from me and laugh, putting his arms up like we were on a roller coaster. The only thing I like about Macy's was the pub in the basement, great chili and beer. Be surprised if it is still running.

Used to live a couple blocks from Macy's 1992-2000. Remember the basement having food items and kitchenwares but don't remember a pub. Don't think it's still there, but could be wrong.

For those that don't know, the A Train is the longest line in NYC going from Far Rockaway in SE Queens (past JFK) clear up to Washington Heights in North Manhattan. Probably darn near a 3 hr run from end to end. The song is about taking the train up to Harlem of course. Unfortunately I usually would take it in the other direction and if my last stop isn't Aqueduct, then it's a pretty dreary ride running pretty much on the west side of Manhattan, through downtown Brooklyn, but not connecting with many of the major lines there making it a real pain for those living in other parts of Brooklyn to use. Runs undergraound almost all the way to Aqueduct before coming out somewhere near Rockaway Blvd, then proceeds across the long sectioons of wetlands near JFK, over Jamaica Bay and into the Rockaways. For the most part it runs through some of the most depressed areas in NYC. I have to take it when I go to see my doctor, which also probably makes me dislike it because it is a long trip.

bigmack
11-15-2010, 03:06 PM
The song is about taking the train up to Harlem of course.
Those lyrics were added later by some woman.

The song was written by a member of Ellington's band, Billy Strayhorn. Duke wrote directions for him to get to his pad that started "Take the A Train."

OTM Al
11-15-2010, 03:22 PM
Those lyrics were added later by some woman.

The song was written by a member of Ellington's band, Billy Strayhorn. Duke wrote directions for him to get to his pad that started "Take the A Train."

Makes sense. He'd come into NYC via Penn Station. The A train runs there. Duke did live in Harlem, 157th and St. Nicholas from 1939-1961. Straight shot up from 33rd st to Harlem with very few stops along the way. Harlem was a hotbed for jazz at the time to be sure.

RaceBookJoe
11-15-2010, 03:29 PM
Somewhere around 1983 I was fortunate to see Oscar Petersen perform. It was a solo gig at the Troy Music Hall, which was considered to be the best acoustical music hall built. When you compare todays performances with the lights/video/dancers/electronics etc to one that is just a man and a piano holding an audience captivated...wow. rbj

bigmack
11-15-2010, 03:36 PM
Makes sense. He'd come into NYC via Penn Station. The A train runs there. Duke did live in Harlem, 157th and St. Nicholas from 1939-1961. Straight shot up from 33rd st to Harlem with very few stops along the way. Harlem was a hotbed for jazz at the time to be sure.
http://i165.photobucket.com/albums/u70/macktime/atrain.png

Is that Rockaway down where it starts?

Here's "Little Billy" who actually wrote the piece.

Tjc7mu9leYw

OTM Al
11-15-2010, 03:44 PM
Yes. Let me explain what's going on on the south part of the map as it looks a bit a mess. There are 3 terminations for the A Train. The first one that spurs off before it goes across the water terminates at Lefferts Ave. This runs a couple blocks north of Aqueduct and splits off a couple stops after it gets above ground. The Far Rockaway A trains (you have to be careful to make sure you get on the right one) go across the water and turn to the north east when it gets onto Rockaway. It terminates where the "circle A" is. A couple trains a day turn southwest there and terminate in Rockaway Park at 116th St, the "diamond A". They are rush hour only and the rest of the time you need to take a shuttle "S" train to go that way. That is the way I go to my doctor, so that transfer just adds time to the trip.

TJDave
11-15-2010, 04:09 PM
My favorite version of this classic was recorded by Lawrence Welk. ;)

Grits
11-15-2010, 05:38 PM
Somewhere around 1983 I was fortunate to see Oscar Petersen perform. It was a solo gig at the Troy Music Hall, which was considered to be the best acoustical music hall built. When you compare todays performances with the lights/video/dancers/electronics etc to one that is just a man and a piano holding an audience captivated...wow. rbj

RBJ, you saw THE REAL DEAL. You truly did!!!

NJ Stinks
11-15-2010, 05:55 PM
I took the A Train to Aqueduct from Penn Station (I think) a bunch of times in the '70's. No complaints that I can remember. Except one time I got there in plenty of time for the second race but hundreds of people were on the station platform waiting to get on. Damn if they didn't cancel the races after the first race! :bang:

I was feeling lucky that day too. (Maybe I was. :D )

RaceBookJoe
11-15-2010, 06:47 PM
RBJ, you saw THE REAL DEAL. You truly did!!!

Yeah, now here is the funny part of the story. I was 17 at the time and I played both piano and guitar, but i was really into heavy metal at the time and really wanted to go see Ozzy Osbourne, who was coming to town also. My guitar teacher told me he had a surprise for me and when he handed my the tickets the first thing i saw was the letter "O". Yep, i thought they were Ozzy tickets, but then read the whole name Oscar 'friggin' Petersen hahaha. At the show though i was in awe since i had played a few of the songs that he played that night. My teacher was a great musician an he was really psyched because usually Oscar played as a trio, but this solo gig was something special. rbj

jognlope
11-15-2010, 07:32 PM
Thanks for that video with Strayhorn, early days!

I rode them all, even M train from Glendale to the hospital downtown. Wasn't a big fan of the subway trains. They seem to go fast if you look at the columns outside in the subway, makes them seem so fast. I didn't like taking the D express to Yankee game, went it seemed miles at 100 miles an hour, but sure got you to Yankee stadium in a hurry. Dave Winfield hit two homers that game, but as my luck goes, I was at the concession stands both times getting a hot dog and beer. I got his autograph later on at a Catskill resort. He was somepin!!

jognlope
11-15-2010, 07:56 PM
Bill Evans. Saw him in a little Cambridge jazz club a year before he died of a bleeding ulcer. I envy anybody who saw Oscar though.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dH3GSrCmzC8&feature=related

Mike at A+
11-15-2010, 08:14 PM
My favorite version of this classic was recorded by Lawrence Welk. ;)
Chicago does an excellent rendition of this classic.

I lived in Brooklyn for many years and what I remember about the A train was that I could get it transferring from the F train (formerly the D) at Jay Street and Boro Hall. The infamous Brooklyn Motor Vehicle Office (famous for 3 hour lines and clerks who didn't give a shit about anyone) was at the Hoyt and Schermerhorn stop. The A was also known as "The African Express" because of the black neighborhoods it ran through.

The stop on the F before Jay Street/Boro Hall was York Street. I remember that as the stop where no one got on and no one got off.

bigmack
11-15-2010, 08:30 PM
Chicago does an excellent rendition of this classic.
Painful.
http://s0.ilike.com/play#Chicago:Take+The+A+Train:1203351:s58799318.14 023296.4059762.0.2.158%2Cstd_22d9fda331784b74bd5b1 09a9e0f4afa

jognlope
11-16-2010, 08:51 AM
I can't believe anybody would mention Jay Street/Boro Hall. I remember, and the MV place too, a big crowded mess. I used to get off at Atlantic Ave, A&S store for their Wednesday sales, but I can't remember if that was Jay St or not or what train. I think it was Boro Hall. I remember being on the A train way out in Howard Beach for what reason I have no idea. It ends where there is a marsh. I lived in Seagate, near Coney Island amusement park, for a few months, a Hasidic gaited community. To get to work, you'd go out the entrance and there'd be a car and people would hop in and ride to the subway for $1. And then it was the F train all the way into Manhattan.

OTM Al
11-16-2010, 10:39 AM
I can't believe anybody would mention Jay Street/Boro Hall. I remember, and the MV place too, a big crowded mess. I used to get off at Atlantic Ave, A&S store for their Wednesday sales, but I can't remember if that was Jay St or not or what train. I think it was Boro Hall. I remember being on the A train way out in Howard Beach for what reason I have no idea. It ends where there is a marsh. I lived in Seagate, near Coney Island amusement park, for a few months, a Hasidic gaited community. To get to work, you'd go out the entrance and there'd be a car and people would hop in and ride to the subway for $1. And then it was the F train all the way into Manhattan.

They redid the Stillwell stop. Huge thing now with service not only for the F, but the N, Q and D trains as well. Sometimes when the trains I usually ride are really crowded (B or Q) I'll jump on one of the others and go all the way down to Stillwell, pick up a couple Nathan's hotdogs and cheese fries right across the street and head back home.

jognlope
11-16-2010, 11:40 AM
Unbelievable, someone knowing about Stillwell Ave. I miss NYC, but the rents have gone up 10 times or something. I love Coney Island, get Nathan's hot dogs here in the stores. Long time ago, you could stand in line and watch Juilliard orchesta, they had actually two orchestras, and see for free. Even homeless people would come in and get a night of orchestra. Brighton Beach wasn't bad, but those ladies will actually push you aside in the delis down there, just push you away to get their deli order. Unreal. Lots of local color and history. I liked looking up in the upper west side to see the freize work and amazing stone carvings on the tops of the brownstones. I had a bike stolen from right behind me in Prospect Park, a nice Puegeot 10 speed. I had just sat down and laid it behind and a guy came by and I felt something move behind me and then looked and he was riding off at about 80 mph off into the park. I went back to the apartment, where my friend proceed to get an axe and hopped in the car headed toward the park but it was too late (thank goodness).

OTM Al
11-16-2010, 04:45 PM
Store bought Nathan's are good but never quite the real thing even if you know how to fry them up right. That neighborhood is coming up fast now. They've had the Met's Single A team there for several years now and the boardwalk is now being renovated. Good transit was a major first move and all else is following now. Could almost walk there from where I live (Manhattan Beach/Sheepshead Bay) but only go down that way once in a while. Russian population of Brighton Beach is expanding ever outward and makes up much of the population in the area now.

That's a Timneh African Grey in your icon isn't it? Have one of those myself, most fascinating pet I've ever had.

banacek
11-16-2010, 05:39 PM
My father, who introduced me to horse racing, also introduced me to jazz. 40 years or so ago...I was probably 10 or 11... he took me to see Oscar Peterson. I'll never forget it. And not only that, he's Canadian, eh ;)

jognlope
11-16-2010, 07:10 PM
OTM Al, show pictures! I got Jessie at 2 months. He's about 13 now. He's so sweet and it's a joy that we are so bonded. The whole neighborhood around Main St. has sort of adopted him, too. A few people, and one woman with a powerful whistle, come by and whistle to him from outside and he gives them his best whistles and bugle call. How old is yours?

Mike at A+
11-16-2010, 07:44 PM
Store bought Nathan's are good but never quite the real thing even if you know how to fry them up right. That neighborhood is coming up fast now. They've had the Met's Single A team there for several years now and the boardwalk is now being renovated. Good transit was a major first move and all else is following now. Could almost walk there from where I live (Manhattan Beach/Sheepshead Bay) but only go down that way once in a while. Russian population of Brighton Beach is expanding ever outward and makes up much of the population in the area now.

That's a Timneh African Grey in your icon isn't it? Have one of those myself, most fascinating pet I've ever had.
I'm pretty sure the Coney Island Nathans franks are natural casing while the store bought aren't. Unless they just aren't available in my local stores. Still think Boar's Head are the absolute best but I can get Porterhouse Steaks at a lower price than Boar's Head franks. Our local Wegmans has a brand called Hoffmann's that are pretty good "snappies".

OTM Al
11-17-2010, 02:53 PM
OTM Al, show pictures! I got Jessie at 2 months. He's about 13 now. He's so sweet and it's a joy that we are so bonded. The whole neighborhood around Main St. has sort of adopted him, too. A few people, and one woman with a powerful whistle, come by and whistle to him from outside and he gives them his best whistles and bugle call. How old is yours?

He's just six. His name is Smarty. Yes, I named him after the horse. May still have a few pictures but I think I lost most I had when my hard drive died unexpectedly in September. May have some backed up though.....I have informed him that he is a chicken and he likes to cluck like one. Not sure he could do whistles or bugle calls very well. He has no sense of rhythm or melody, which is apparant when he has tried to sing along to things. Just awful and very funny. He's usually pretty calm and docile but he unfortunately does not like the other birds we have, probably as a result of an old male cockatiel we had when he was a baby let him have it one day. Needless to say I have also spoiled him rotten

GameTheory
11-17-2010, 03:12 PM
I like the one on "Ellington Uptown" the best...

bigmack
11-17-2010, 03:24 PM
I like the one on "Ellington Uptown" the best...
Bingo

http://ilike.myspacecdn.com/play#Duke+Ellington:Take+the+%22A%22+Train:33361:s 31647115.8166033.87028.0.1.8%2Cstd_9b553f989161c2e 6ad717c52ca9fc24f

jognlope
11-19-2010, 01:27 PM
OTM, I like Amazons for one reason, head rubbing. These greys do a sucker play, they'll all known for it. You go to rub their head and they are just tricking you into a nice bite. Amazons just sit there like nice birdys. But they don't have the same intelligence.

OTM Al
11-19-2010, 02:14 PM
Mine doesn't act like that. He doesn't want to be petted when he's perching, but he will regularly come up to me and dip down his head for petting. He's not much of a biter either. Think he's only gotten me once and that was transference as he really was wanting to bite the sun conure. There is history there.....

jognlope
11-19-2010, 08:12 PM
Definitely they all have different personalities. Mine, if he wants a certain spot on the couch and sees a kitty there, will do a shreiking sound to warn them, then march over and bite them on the butt. But usually they just scatter before he gets to them. And if they try to extend a paw to him, he says "Don't bother birdy!"

OTM Al
11-19-2010, 09:20 PM
Very different I think. Other than aggression toward the other birds (all smaller) mine is terrified of almost everything. I only have to put stuffed animals on things I don't want him getting into and he won't come near them. Took me a month to move him into his current cage from his old one. He also loves musicals and football games. I'll never figure him out but it's great fun trying.

jognlope
11-19-2010, 10:26 PM
When I got a big cage it took several tries, then my bird sitter, his "godmother" rescue person in case someone happens to me, said "just put him in there," and I did and he stayed in. Oh yes, he's scared easily, too. If I change my hair, move furniture. But he loves any new people, cable guy, fire drill firemen, he just loves them.