PDA

View Full Version : Ray Paulick: Horseplayers just don't get it. California had to raise the takeout.

andymays
11-15-2010, 11:38 AM
http://www.paulickreport.com/blog/californias-push-for-purses/

Excerpt:

no studies have proven the point that reducing the cost of a bet will increase the revenue to tracks and purses.

And this is an important point that horseplayers too often overlook. There is an enormous investment to put this game on, from the standpoint of the racetracks and the horse owners.

andymays
11-15-2010, 11:45 AM

Comment excerpt #2:

We get it Ray. You wouldn’t mind seeing 30% takeout.

If betting on Horse Racing was a good bet then the sport would be increasing in popularity instead of decreasing in popularity.

It was the greatest gambling game of skill ever created but it has been ruined by people who know nothing about gambling. They view Horse Racing as entertainment. As long as we have the same people running things nothing will change and things will get worse in California.

This video is based on a true story. http://www.xtranormal.com/watch/7386975/

InsideThePylons-MW
11-15-2010, 12:06 PM
Add Mr. Paulick to the list of bad guys/morons who are in charge or the voice of racing.

andymays
11-15-2010, 12:09 PM
Add Mr. Paulick to the list of bad guys/morons who are in charge or the voice of racing.

When you go to the front page of the Paulick Report look at the Advertisement right under the title of the article.

Hmmmmmmmmmmm

Ray has always been for higher takeout and whatever else his buddies want. He doesn't mind taking from one group to subsidize another. In another year they'll have to raise the takeout again.

InsideThePylons-MW
11-15-2010, 12:15 PM
When you go to the front page of the Paulick Report look at the Advertisement right under the title of the article.

Hmmmmmmmmmmm

Ray has always been for higher takeout and whatever else his buddies want. He doesn't mind taking from one group to subsidize another. In another year they'll have to raise the takeout again.

I'm pretty sure if PETA bought an ad saying they wanted to abolish racing and arrest/convict all horsepeople for the crime of animal cruelty.......If they paid enough for the ad, Ray would write an opinion piece supporting everything they were asking for.

andymays
11-15-2010, 12:26 PM
I hope everyone knows that most of the Leadership (or lack thereof) of California racing is going to read the Paulick article. It would be nice to have about 100 comments below his article letting the leadership (or lack thereof) know how Horseplayers feel about the raise in takeout.

Canarsie
11-15-2010, 01:12 PM
I wonder what would happen to the Paulick Reports advertisers if he raised his rates above what is considered the norm. :bang:

DJofSD
11-15-2010, 01:56 PM
We all know the TOC is the most important group out there when it comes to CA racing. How could we have missed it before? I mean, what were we thinking when some of us complained about the increase the withholding for the exotic wagers on 12/26/2010?

So, to make up for past lapses in judgement, let's just raise those vigs to 50%. That way we'll have full fields all of the time and all of the owners running horses outside the state will come back.

thaskalos
11-15-2010, 03:01 PM
Let's see if I got this right...

The Native American tribes in Sacramento have a lot of political "clout", and that makes racinos in California an "impossibility". So, in order for California Racing to be able to favorably compete with the states that have no such racino restrictions, the horse racing FANS must shoulder the heavy burden...ALL BY THEMSELVES!

The owners, trainers and jockeys are entitled to the same high purses they have always enjoyed, but the racing fans' cut should be allowed to get smaller and smaller.

That makes sense I guess...I just hope that the state is able to favorably compete with THESE takeout increases alone, and more takeout hikes are not suggested in the near future...

InsideThePylons-MW
11-15-2010, 03:15 PM
Ray Paulick wrote....”However, I am insulted and offended by remarks suggesting I have no understanding of pari-mutuel wagering ”

Here is a guy who is advocating a takeout raise to grow revenue and also promotes the moronic ideas of Fred Pope.......

Paulick is insulted and offended?

It's great that the biggest sensitive dolt on the planet is the foremost independent voice in the industry. :bang:

Owners are paying multi-millions for yearlings and broodmares, trainers are living in million dollar homes and driving luxury automobiles......let raise the price on the bettor to support these massive overpayments on horse flesh and lifestyles.

It's obviously the bettor's fault the industry is in ruins.

bks
11-15-2010, 03:29 PM
That is one funny video.

Horseplayersbet.com
11-15-2010, 03:43 PM
The one thing Paulick doesn't seem to understand is the price to put on the show has nothing to do with the concept of optimal revenues.

JohnGalt1
11-15-2010, 03:44 PM
The Laffer Curve works in both determining tax rates and take out rates.

If tax rates and take out rates were 99% no one would work or bet on horse races and governments and race tracks could not be sustained.

If tax rates and take out rates were 1% governments and race tracks could not be sustained.

One must find the percentage that keeps the enterprise profitable, while encouraging--in racing's sake--maximum betting.

Smarter people than me can determine the right percentage to charge.

But for me, the tracks that want 30% on exotics, don't get my money for those bets. There are other tracks that offer better value.

InsideThePylons-MW
11-15-2010, 03:52 PM
The one thing Paulick doesn't seem to understand.

Can I bet Over 1? If I can....where do I collect?

Stillriledup
11-15-2010, 04:08 PM
Ray Paulick wrote....”However, I am insulted and offended by remarks suggesting I have no understanding of pari-mutuel wagering ”

Here is a guy who is advocating a takeout raise to grow revenue and also promotes the moronic ideas of Fred Pope.......

Paulick is insulted and offended?

It's great that the biggest sensitive dolt on the planet is the foremost independent voice in the industry. :bang:

Owners are paying multi-millions for yearlings and broodmares, trainers are living in million dollar homes and driving luxury automobiles......let raise the price on the bettor to support these massive overpayments on horse flesh and lifestyles.

It's obviously the bettor's fault the industry is in ruins.

Bob Baffert needs a new Mercedes and the bettors are going to pay for it.

andymays
11-15-2010, 04:09 PM
Talk about a backlash in the comment section of the article. :lol:

Ray tries to respond in comment #27.

mrhorseplayer
11-15-2010, 05:26 PM
SCal racing at hollyrock sucks. small fields more takeout for get it I will play elsewhere where there are big fields. CHurchill. Charles Town and Mountaineer. been playing the Mount regular now for a while that is my main track now and sometimes I play Charles Town on the mounts dark days. Then I play an afternoon track.

JustRalph
11-15-2010, 06:04 PM
I can't believe Ray thinks this way.........wait......sure he does.

I like this comment on his article page

—————————–ATTENTION HORSERACING FANS———————————————–

STOP COMPLAINING AND JUST WAGER ON TRACKS OUTSIDE OF CALIFORNIA.

THE TRACKS, TOC AND CHRB JUST ARE PLAYING YOU LIKE A SUCKER SO JUST SAY
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO !!!

REMEMBER, THEY CAN’T RAISE PURSES IF YOU STOP WAGERING!!!

JERRY JAM

BOYCOTT, BOYCOTT, BOYCOTT, BOYCOTT, BOYCOTT, BOYCOTT, BOYCOTT, BOYCOTT, BOYCOTT, BOYCOTT, BOYCOTT, BOYCOTT, BOYCOTT, BOYCOTT; SEND THEM A CLEAR MESSAGE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!