PDA

View Full Version : Do you have knowhow?

jognlope
11-15-2010, 09:57 AM
To design one of those video games you have on Facebook, like spaceballs, crazy cabbie, etc.? I would like to find out what knowhow it takes. I was good at math, but have absolutely no understanding of computer software logic, like just reading up on Oracel in Wikipedia, I couldn't understand it. Being an algebra hot shot it not the same, just not. But I still want to try, there's a really good comm. college down the road. And they even kept the bus running to even, even though they shut down the main buses to Johnstown. More information than you need, sorry...

serp
11-15-2010, 10:49 AM
You would need to start by learning how to create a web application on your own. A facebook app is basically just a web app that runs in an iframe on facebook's website.

You would need to learn html, css, javascript as a start. PHP as a scripting language to do the serverside logic. Data is retrieved/sent using http calls and is formatted in the json format (which php can encode/decode from/into arrays). You can learn and develop in these things for free.

That's all that is required but a lot of the more popular facebook apps basically use the above methods as a shell to serve up a flash game. To create Flash applications you'll need software from Adobe (free alternatives exist but I would not recommend them).

JustRalph
11-15-2010, 03:03 PM
If you are going to learn to code, learning to code for apples IOS may be the smartest choice. Or for an even larger market, code for android.

Look up the terms

Android developers kit

Or for the apple stuff

X-code. Or The IOS SDK
http://developer.apple.com/devcenter/ios/index.action

The term "developers kit" will get you started

Btw, there thousands doing this now. It's cheaper to pay somebody else to do
it from the latest stuff I read. These are self contained apps that would run on phones and tablets, not web pages. But this is where the developers are headed now

jognlope
11-18-2010, 09:07 AM
Ok Ill stick to sewing :(

I wish I could just get my computer to stop humming.

stuball
11-18-2010, 10:32 AM
Listen to it -It is saying clean me - clean me - lol