PDA

View Full Version : no matter how bad you think it is...

skate
11-14-2010, 05:39 PM
it's worse

from WSJ/Phillips
Investors sold off long-term municipal bonds in the past week.

On Friday, yields on consulting firm Municipal Market Advisors' index of AAA-rated 30-year municipals were up 15 basis points—or 0.15 percentage point—from the prior week. That is the sharpest move in 18 months, said Matt Fabian, managing director at the firm.

Analysts and investors attributed the decline in price, WHICH MOVES OPPISITE TO YIELD , to a number of different factors. They include mounting fears about the stability of municipalities' finances, the fate of the Build America ...

FantasticDan
11-14-2010, 05:44 PM
The whole article might be helpful:

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052748703560504575612620715318084.html

skate
11-14-2010, 05:48 PM
we are reaching the inevitability that the bond market is going to demand a fix of the debt (fed).
Muni Bonds will continue to get crushed, like they should. California, New York, Illinois, and other Democratic led garbage dumps will not be bailed by a Republican house.

skate
11-14-2010, 05:50 PM

OK, please post, thanks.

skate
11-14-2010, 05:53 PM
from Franklin Center/Keegan

Voters turned over 711 legislative seats and Republicans took legislative control away from Democrats in 11 states. According to the National Conference of State Legislatures (http://www.ncsl.org/tabid/21253/default.aspx), Republicans now have the most control over state governments since 1928.

Citizens rejected every tax increase initiative, according to NCSL, and “Thanks to the results on a handful of key ballot measures, legislatures are going to have an even tougher time than they anticipated balancing state budgets in some states.”

UncleGeorge, at it again, wont this guy ever stop?:bang:

skate
11-14-2010, 06:00 PM

Fantastic, could you post the WHOLE atricle? thanks

skate
11-14-2010, 06:05 PM
post for State Ballots found at;

http://ballotpedia.org/wiki/index.php/Main_Page

Mike at A+
11-14-2010, 06:15 PM
we are reaching the inevitability that the bond market is going to demand a fix of the debt (fed).
Muni Bonds will continue to get crushed, like they should. California, New York, Illinois, and other Democratic led garbage dumps will not be bailed by a Republican house.
Sounds like a good trump card to repeal Obamacare. Republicans should play it wisely. If Obama plays nice, we can give a little. If not, let those garbage dumps rot.

FantasticDan
11-14-2010, 08:10 PM
Fantastic, could you post the WHOLE atricle? thanks
The whole article was at that link, but it seems when you link it, it only gives you a truncated version. Strange. I'll copy and paste the entire article, if that's okay. If it's not, delete away..

By MATT PHILLIPS And JEANNETTE NEUMANN

The tumble in long-term municipal bonds last week comes as a flood of states and municipalities are seeking money in the debt markets, raising the prospect some will have to pay higher yields to lure investors.

California leads the list of planned borrowers. The state alone is planning $14 billion of sales before Thanksgiving.

POSTING THE ENTIRE CONTENTS OF COPYRIGHTED MATERIAL HAS NEVER BEEN OK.

skate
11-17-2010, 01:50 PM
The whole article was at that link, but it seems when you link it, it only gives you a truncated version. Strange. I'll copy and paste the entire article, if that's okay. If it's not, delete away..

By MATT PHILLIPS And JEANNETTE NEUMANN

The tumble in long-term municipal bonds last week comes as a flood of states and municipalities are seeking money in the debt markets, raising the prospect some will have to pay higher yields to lure investors.

California leads the list of planned borrowers. The state alone is planning $14 billion of sales before Thanksgiving.

POSTING THE ENTIRE CONTENTS OF COPYRIGHTED MATERIAL HAS NEVER BEEN OK.

Ok thanks again.

What happens, the WSJ wont let you ALWAYS make copies to their WHOLE article.
So, i post and give credit to WSJ, for what they let me post, as long as (from what i see) it makes enough sense to grASP the point being made, doesnt always work, a lot depends on reader, maybe.

Note the part of the article that you posted, wasonly a small section of the article.

thanks

PaceAdvantage
11-17-2010, 04:24 PM
Ok thanks again.

What happens, the WSJ wont let you ALWAYS make copies to their WHOLE article.
So, i post and give credit to WSJ, for what they let me post, as long as (from what i see) it makes enough sense to grASP the point being made, doesnt always work, a lot depends on reader, maybe.

Note the part of the article that you posted, wasonly a small section of the article.

thanksI DELETED the vast portion of the copyrighted work he reproduced here. It has NEVER been OK to reproduce copyrighted material on this board. Any attempts to do so in their entirety will be deleted.

FantasticDan
11-17-2010, 05:03 PM
Then I would consider adding that rule to the General Forum Usage and Posting Messages portion of the FAQs, which I consulted (and saw no mention of) before pasting the whole article. Not everyone automatically knows forum rules. Some forums I've been to allow it if you link the article and credit the writers, which I did.

I have no problem with it being deleted, and understand the issues.

PaceAdvantage
11-17-2010, 05:37 PM
There is nothing to consider, as the rules of this message board are clearly posted under the TERMS OF SERVICE (TOS link in the menu bar). These same exact rules are presented to everyone when they register...in fact, you must click the "I AGREE" check box (this check box appears directly underneath where all of these terms of service are displayed during the registration process) before you are allowed to complete your registration.

http://www.paceadvantage.com/TOS_PrivacyStatement.html

But thanks for the advice nonetheless.

PS. Here is the relevant portion of the TOS that applies:You agree not to post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you or by this forum.

lamboguy
11-17-2010, 06:11 PM
forget about stupid municipal bonds that are only pieces of paper. go buy yourself some beautiful looking united states $50 gold eagles and go to sleep at night without any worries.

fwiw, i said the exact same thing here about 3 years ago with the price of gold a little under $800 an ounce, today we are over $1300 an ounce and i highly suspect the price of gold will be alot higher in june of 2011, my guess in the $1600 range.

BlueShoe
11-17-2010, 06:45 PM
California is scheduled to sell 10 billion in munis Thursday. Those that enjoy pain may actually buy them. Have to wonder just how long it will be before S & P and Moodys rates California issues as junk.

Mike at A+
11-17-2010, 06:46 PM
My Oppenheimer Gold and Minerals Fund has helped my portfolio immensely. Financial Analysts recommend 10% of your holdings but I have about 20% of mine in this fund. As I near retirement (whatever the hell that means these days), I'm glad I saw this coming a few years ago too.

skate
11-18-2010, 02:40 PM
forget about stupid municipal bonds that are only pieces of paper. go buy yourself some beautiful looking united states $50 gold eagles and go to sleep at night without any worries.

fwiw, i said the exact same thing here about 3 years ago with the price of gold a little under $800 an ounce, today we are over $1300 an ounce and i highly suspect the price of gold will be alot higher in june of 2011, my guess in the $1600 range.

Yes sir, good call.

I can see that BO and Co. are using some of the same methods used by FDR, that being to lower the Dollar, with the results of getting a higher export fee.

Could be wrong, im not holding gold or silver, but they, Feds, could be close to a reverse on Polacy. just a guess..., id say give em two years at most.

skate
11-18-2010, 02:48 PM
California is scheduled to sell 10 billion in munis Thursday. Those that enjoy pain may actually buy them. Have to wonder just how long it will be before S & P and Moodys rates California issues as junk.

OH oh oh, my my my, just wait for the investors to Short these type Bonds...funny:)

Are they saying (Calif) "that you could make a profit on yld by June 2011".

Maybe this is why they'ed like to hold onto Charlie (curley) Rangel, so he could show them the "how it's done" move.

This should be Great :blush:

skate
11-18-2010, 03:06 PM
I DELETED the vast portion of the copyrighted work he reproduced here. It has NEVER been OK to reproduce copyrighted material on this board. Any attempts to do so in their entirety will be deleted.

OK, Swortzy wants to know, regards to your last line "Anyy attempts to do so in their ENTIRETY", does this say that if you post "part" of an article it's OK?

OR. is it that "will be deleted" any such 'part' there of, any Article?:)

in other words, to save us from an unclear lurker, "do not copy, even if you give credit".

PaceAdvantage
11-20-2010, 12:36 AM
OK, Swortzy wants to know, regards to your last line "Anyy attempts to do so in their ENTIRETY", does this say that if you post "part" of an article it's OK?

OR. is it that "will be deleted" any such 'part' there of, any Article?:)

in other words, to save us from an unclear lurker, "do not copy, even if you give credit".I've always maintained that one or two paragraphs (depending on the length of the article) + a link to the original site is OK.

Of course, that didn't stop the Las Vegas Review-Journal from suing a bunch of websites that dared to include even that little amount of copy...

skate
11-20-2010, 01:57 PM
gotcha, thanks