PDA

View Full Version : Where is Jockey Martin Garcia

Sericm
11-14-2010, 02:16 PM
Does anyone know the status of Jockey Martin Garcia. Have not seen him in the entries for the last week or so!

joanied
11-14-2010, 02:40 PM
I saw something in the Paulick Report about him, but after reading a bunch of stuff, I forgot to read that article...now I can't find it.

I find it strange that after the duke out with Borel & Javy, that no one spoke to Martin after the race...he was, afterall, the one that caught the worst of it...if Borel hadn't be right alongside him when he came out of the saddle, he would have hit the dirt...and a real disaster would have taken place.

Mike_412
11-14-2010, 02:55 PM
I believe he's back in Mexico. An issue with his work visa I believe. He's supposed to be back in January if I'm remembering correctly.

JustRalph
11-14-2010, 03:10 PM
Somebody didn't do the paperwork to continue his visa. He is spending three months in Mexico for the pleasure..........

He will be home for the Holidays.............

Arbor Heights
11-14-2010, 04:20 PM
according to what i just heard in a chat room at holloywood, his agent says ohe is on a two week vacation in mexico.

joanied
11-14-2010, 04:33 PM
I hope it hasn't anything to do with his work visa or whatever...seems the people coming here legally are the ones that suffer going through all sorts of crap to stay, and the illegals have it made:mad: ...

I hope it's vacation for him...that's a good thing!!

PaceAdvantage
11-15-2010, 12:26 AM
I find it strange that after the duke out with Borel & Javy, that no one spoke to Martin after the race...he was, afterall, the one that caught the worst of it...Didn't they interview him on the BC telecast? I could have sworn they did...

nijinski
11-15-2010, 01:04 AM
I hope it hasn't anything to do with his work visa or whatever...seems the people coming here legally are the ones that suffer going through all sorts of crap to stay, and the illegals have it made:mad: ...

I hope it's vacation for him...that's a good thing!!

I did hear it expired , but rumors happen so we'll have to wait n see.

joanied
11-15-2010, 05:02 PM
Didn't they interview him on the BC telecast? I could have sworn they did...

I saw someone put a mic in front of him, but he walked away.

joanied
11-15-2010, 05:03 PM
I did hear it expired , but rumors happen so we'll have to wait n see.

Right. If it did expire, he'll get it sorted out.

bigmack
11-15-2010, 05:21 PM
Bumped into a nice little story of his start:
http://www.hulu.com/watch/6712/tvg-jockey-martin-garcia

Robert Fischer
11-15-2010, 07:30 PM
Where is Jockey Martin Garcia

about a few lengths premature....

badum ching :liar:

duncan04
12-31-2010, 12:33 AM
Found an interesting article hinting that there may be more to the immgration issues.

http://www.pricehorsecentral.com/?p=8659#more-8659

PhantomOnTour
12-31-2010, 01:07 AM
That is a sketchy article/blog, to say the least.

duncan04
12-31-2010, 01:13 AM

Yeah that is what I thought but didn't know if anyone knew anything about that site and/or how reliable it was

PhantomOnTour
12-31-2010, 01:17 AM
I just didn't like the way it was written, ya know?
Bad grammar, bad spelling, and a whole lotta juicy questions with no concrete answers. Seemed like the author (Eves) was just throwing stuff out there.

Stillriledup
12-31-2010, 01:22 AM
You read that and what comes to mind is that jock from Calder about 20 years ago who was riding as a bug, but really had like 700 career wins in some foreign land. Bracho was his name maybe? I wonder if Martin Garcia was a polished vet when he was beating Russell Baze in the riding title a few years back up north as a bug.?

I guess the moral of the story is that if you're not a legal US citizen, stay under the radar.

BluegrassProf
12-31-2010, 01:24 AM
And come up with a significantly more awesome name, like Brock Rammerhammer.

Brock Rammerhammer eats Martin Garcias for formal Sunday brunch. Just FYI.

Shelby
12-31-2010, 07:39 AM
And come up with a significantly more awesome name, like Brock Rammerhammer.

Brock Rammerhammer eats Martin Garcias for formal Sunday brunch. Just FYI.:lol::lol::lol:

On a side note, I thought the "article" was bordering on unethical. I was taught in school that you had to have proof to back up your words.

I--and this is my opinion--highly doubt that Mr. Stauffer would say anything to cause Mr. Baffert to put that ultimatum out about changing agents.

Figman
12-31-2010, 09:38 AM
The writer of that article is Warren Eves. He is the dean of all horse racing writers in the United States. I remember him from the early 1970's on the east coast at Saratoga. He was publicity director at the Saratoga Raceway. He was experienced then having come off several other racetrack jobs. Close to 50 years of experience!!

PhantomOnTour
12-31-2010, 03:35 PM
The writer of that article is Warren Eves. He is the dean of all horse racing writers in the United States. I remember him from the early 1970's on the east coast at Saratoga. He was publicity director at the Saratoga Raceway. He was experienced then having come off several other racetrack jobs. Close to 50 years of experience!!
If that's the work of "the dean" I don't want to see what the students are cranking out.

Pace Cap'n
12-31-2010, 05:03 PM

In his words, "abismal".

joanied
12-31-2010, 05:44 PM
I wonder if Baffert has read that article...me thinks it's all BS, and we'll be seeing Garcia back before too long...and I really don't see why this stuff was even written...is there some reason for saying stuff like that?
Maybe Vic will see this thread and pop on in with some first hand insight.

dylbert
12-31-2010, 06:02 PM
http://www.horseracingnation.com/news/Martin_Garcia_Having_Visa_Problems

This is link to 12/19/2010 brief from Horse Racing Nation site. It is excerpt from DRF story. The answer is no one knows at this time when Martin Garcia will reappear on southern California racing scene.

dylbert
12-31-2010, 06:04 PM
In his words, "abismal".

Another kase of Nu Skool speeling, ya think?

letswastemoney
12-31-2010, 09:40 PM
Martin Garcia is an average jockey who just happens to get good horses from Baffert's barn. Anyone could ride those horses and win.

David-LV
12-31-2010, 09:57 PM
Martin Garcia is an average jockey who just happens to get good horses from Baffert's barn. Anyone could ride those horses and win.

As Eddie Arcaro once said when he was asked the question by a reporter if the jockey means anything.

His answer was "I never won a race without a horse."

The moral of the story is that good horses make great jockeys, and not good jockeys make great horses.

________
David-LV

Stillriledup
12-31-2010, 10:11 PM
:lol:

Right.

Relwob Owner
12-31-2010, 10:16 PM

Look at Lookin at Lucky this year and how he performed with Garcia as opposed to Gomez and I think that specific case pretty clearly refutes your theory.....

Robert Fischer
12-31-2010, 10:20 PM
Look at Lookin at Lucky this year and how he performed with Garcia as opposed to Gomez and I think that specific case pretty clearly refutes your theory.....'

no it doesn't

Relwob Owner
12-31-2010, 10:24 PM
'

no it doesn't

Care to expand on that?

Sure it does.....he said anyone could win on Bafferts horses....Gomez couldn't win in the SA Derby and KY Derby, Garcia took over and won the Preakness, Haskell and Indiana....how does that not disprove his contention in that instance?

Robert Fischer
12-31-2010, 10:31 PM
Care to expand on that?

Sure it does.....he said anyone could win on Bafferts horses....Gomez couldn't win in the SA Derby and KY Derby, Garcia took over and won the Preakness, Haskell and Indiana....how does that no disprove his contention?

sure. the SA Derby was fake race with the track itself HEAVILY biased to speed, and Sadler's horse was even more drugged up than LAL. Lucky was clearly much the best.

In the Derby, Lucky was best again and he got crushed from the post position and how the early cavalry charge played out. Borel won the race for a 3rd time with an individual jockey effort aboard a horse who wasn't best(is 3 KYDs aboard a non-best horse some kind of jockey record?).

no way Garcia wins either of those two hugely against the grain runs.

HOWEVER, in the BCC Lookin at Lucky had a dream setup and Garcia moved prematurely the whole race. The only placing difference was a lesser horse (Fly Down) getting a free move up to third thanks completely to Garcia. Common sense says Gomez runs 3rd in the Classic but who really cares?

Garcia didn't butcher the horse. But neither did Gomez.

Relwob Owner
12-31-2010, 10:45 PM
sure. the SA Derby was fake race with the track itself HEAVILY biased to speed, and Sadler's horse was even more drugged up than LAL. Lucky was clearly much the best.

In the Derby, Lucky was best again and he got crushed from the post position and how the early cavalry charge played out. Borel won the race for a 3rd time with an individual jockey effort aboard a horse who wasn't best(is 3 KYDs aboard a non-best horse some kind of jockey record?).

no way Garcia wins either of those two hugely against the grain runs.

HOWEVER, in the BCC Lookin at Lucky had a dream setup and Garcia moved prematurely the whole race. The only placing difference was a lesser horse (Fly Down) getting a free move up to third thanks completely to Garcia. Common sense says Gomez runs 3rd in the Classic but who really cares?

Garcia didn't butcher the horse. But neither did Gomez.

Don't know about being drugged up so I will leave that alone....Gomez may not have won that day in the SA Derby but it wasn't a good ride.....the Derby I can forgive him for because of the post.....

Last six races for LAL Beyer Wise

89-gomez
94-Gomez
102-Garcia
106-Garcia
103-Garcia
105-Garcia

For an average jockey, he sure moved this specific horse up a lot this year.

Robert Fischer
12-31-2010, 10:48 PM
fair enough :ThmbUp:

Relwob Owner
12-31-2010, 10:50 PM
fair enough :ThmbUp:

.....but as was mentioned in the thread as well, you gotta have the horse....:)

Happy New Year to ya

letswastemoney
01-01-2011, 01:05 AM
Don't know about being drugged up so I will leave that alone....Gomez may not have won that day in the SA Derby but it wasn't a good ride.....the Derby I can forgive him for because of the post.....

Last six races for LAL Beyer Wise

89-gomez
94-Gomez
102-Garcia
106-Garcia
103-Garcia
105-Garcia

For an average jockey, he sure moved this specific horse up a lot this year.
I don't think this is a fair analysis, as any improving 3 year old is going to get better beyers as the year rolls along.

Stillriledup
01-01-2011, 01:31 AM
I'm more on the side of RO here, Martin Garcia makes freaky speed, he's a huge talent and he does move horses up, on almost anyone. Jocks matter more than the public gives them credit for, not just for tactical decisions, but some jocks just make horses run faster than others and Martin Garcia is one jock who makes them run very very fast.

BluegrassProf
01-01-2011, 02:00 AM
I'm inclined to agree. The importance of tactical decisionmaking is, I think, often understated - particularly on the best horses, for which those decisions matter most.

Garcia is a good decisionmaker. Much to be said for that.

the little guy
01-01-2011, 10:39 AM
Look at Lookin at Lucky this year and how he performed with Garcia as opposed to Gomez and I think that specific case pretty clearly refutes your theory.....

Garcia may be a terrific rider, I haven't seen him enough to have a fair opinion on that, but his ride on Lookin at Lucky in the Preakness was awful.

Bullet Plane
01-01-2011, 10:44 AM
I don't see him on any mounts at SA today.

nearco
01-01-2011, 11:17 AM

I like this part..

"Here’s what we know. A male using the name Martin Garcia immigrated to the U.S. in 2003 from Vera Cruz, Mexico. He eventually hooked up with one of the best known trainers in horse racing history. Bob Baffert grew up in Nogales, Arizona. So from the start they were not really that far away from one another"

Someone needs a geography lesson... They are almost 1600 miles apart (http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&source=s_d&saddr=Nogales,+arizona&daddr=Veracruz,+Mexico&hl=en&geocode=FVo33gEdE0dj-SnvzLwCtqfWhjF32flPfArcVQ%3BFW2NJAEdax9F-inFeMpFQkHDhTGbATbpQtakGA&mra=ls&sll=19.172717,-96.133269&sspn=0.184839,0.248909&g=Veracruz,+Mexico&ie=UTF8&z=5).

Relwob Owner
01-01-2011, 11:23 AM
Garcia may be a terrific rider, I haven't seen him enough to have a fair opinion on that, but his ride on Lookin at Lucky in the Preakness was awful.

I think "awful" is an exaggerration....I get the feeling that after the SA and KY Derbies, Baffert told him to stay wide out of any trouble and that is what he did in the Preakness....speculation on my part but after the two terrible trips in a rown, I think it makes sense

the little guy
01-01-2011, 12:07 PM
I don't care that he was wide. It was a poor ride. That doesn't mean he's a poor rider, as I'm sure he's not anything close to one, but that ride stunk.

Relwob Owner
01-01-2011, 05:23 PM
I don't care that he was wide. It was a poor ride. That doesn't mean he's a poor rider, as I'm sure he's not anything close to one, but that ride stunk.

What about it leads you to say it "stunk"? I need to watch it again but if memory serves me, he saved a decent amount of ground into the first turn, put himself outside of horses and made his move.....these tactics seem to make sense based on the trouble LAL had run into in his previous two races.

Robert Fischer
01-01-2011, 09:29 PM
how much better was Lucky than Jackson Bend in that race??

(in terms of ability, not the official finish margins)

toussaud
01-02-2011, 03:08 AM
" bad ride" is 100% subjective. It's not like we have a grading chart out and you get points for this, you don't get points for that. I'm quite sure baffert told him look, the horse isn't going to lose. Just don't get blocked and collect your check. If that is what was his instructions, how can you possibly say it was a bad ride?

conversely, let me think of a horse, I was watching golden gate maybe 2 weeks ago, allowance race, a darley horse shipped in and had a local jock on. horse was like 3/5, much much much much the best in the race, horse could have went 6 wide the whole race and still won in hand. The jockey was so hellbent on saving ground, he got blocked and by the time he found run it was too late, and he lost by a head-bob. MUCH the best. But you are going to tell me that was a good ride? it's a good ride if it's a 20 to 1 shot, he got more run out of the horse than he should have. It's a piss poor ride on a 3/5 shot that actually should be 3/5. The top horse got DQ'ed and he backed into the win, but still, he got beat.

For the record I would take Garcia over any rider out there right now. Dude is that good IMHO. Unless it's turf than I would have to go with Bejerano. But you got a better chance of finding Carmen San Diego right now than finding Garcia.

Robert Fischer
01-02-2011, 08:03 AM
" bad ride" is 100% subjective. It's not like we have a grading chart out and you get points for this, you don't get points for that. I'm quite sure baffert told him look, the horse isn't going to lose. Just don't get blocked and collect your check. If that is what was his instructions, how can you possibly say it was a bad ride?

conversely, let me think of a horse, I was watching golden gate maybe 2 weeks ago, allowance race, a darley horse shipped in and had a local jock on. horse was like 3/5, much much much much the best in the race, horse could have went 6 wide the whole race and still won in hand. The jockey was so hellbent on saving ground, he got blocked and by the time he found run it was too late, and he lost by a head-bob. MUCH the best. But you are going to tell me that was a good ride? it's a good ride if it's a 20 to 1 shot, he got more run out of the horse than he should have. It's a piss poor ride on a 3/5 shot that actually should be 3/5. The top horse got DQ'ed and he backed into the win, but still, he got beat.

For the record I would take Garcia over any rider out there right now. Dude is that good IMHO. Unless it's turf than I would have to go with Bejerano. But you got a better chance of finding Carmen San Diego right now than finding Garcia.
On turf you could take Garcia ... Alan Garcia.

And yes we are grading.

Stillriledup
01-19-2011, 09:22 PM
According to Paulick, Garcia is on his way back to Cali!