PDA

View Full Version : Empire Maker

joanied
11-13-2010, 10:21 AM
http://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing/articles/59891/empire-maker-sold-to-japanese-interests?source=rss

Yeah, let's keep selling off our better stallions...this one being so well bred, a Champion and retired sound...
just read that the guys in Kentucky are so worried about not enough high end stallions... why would they not want to keep a stallion like this in America...

well, maybe Empire Maker will visit with Azeri...since she was sold (out) to Japan also...something that still makes me mad, she was America's sweetheart...but hey, money talks!!
:mad:

Tom
11-13-2010, 10:40 AM
The guys in KY bow to the dollar, nothing else. Never confuse them with anyone concerned about racing. I am surprised they don't all wear black fishnets with the seam up the back! :lol:

Headbanger
11-13-2010, 11:18 AM
Better Stallion? Surely you can't really believe that. Empire Maker has done nothing to distinguish himself as a stallion.

You can't really begin to think that when a sire's best offspring is highlighted by Pioneerof the Nile, Mushka, Acoma, Country Star, Icon Project, Battle Plan, and Acting Happy, that constiutes a successful stud career can you?

MickJ26
11-13-2010, 12:02 PM
I loved Empire Maker the racehorse. His stallion career has been average at best so far. This might actually be a good thing, he could cross with a different group of mares and become his generation's Sunday Silence.

joanied
11-13-2010, 12:42 PM
I think his get so far have done well...the thing is that he is a stallion with stamina, and we need that type of stallion right here...I wouldn't be surprised if it does turn out like Sunday Silence...in fact, I hope it does and they are as sorry to have let him go as they were after SS hit the big time.

Tom...you're right...they all wear fishnet stockings...they whine about the plight of the breeding industry, yet will sell out anything to anyone for a price!

nijinski
11-13-2010, 12:57 PM
I think his get so far have done well...the thing is that he is a stallion with stamina, and we need that type of stallion right here...I wouldn't be surprised if it does turn out like Sunday Silence...in fact, I hope it does and they are as sorry to have let him go as they were after SS hit the big time.

Tom...you're right...they all wear fishnet stockings...they whine about the plight of the breeding industry, yet will sell out anything to anyone for a price!

I agree with both you and Tom..
I have great memories of Bobby Frankel and Empire Maker . What a sad shame.

Wingtips
11-13-2010, 01:45 PM
http://www.thoroughbredreview.com/StallionWatch.htm

Worst Values, $35,000 to $50,000

1. Empire Maker ($50,000 Juddmonte Farms) - Should be doing more if Juddmonte wants investors to write $50,000 checks. Overall stakes production and earning power is moderate at best when considering he's getting mares with a 3.88 Comparable Index.

2. Mr. Greeley ($50,000 Gainesway Farm) - Track numbers have never jived with what buyers are spending for his progeny in the sales ring. No one should be asking $50,000 for a sire with barely 6% stakes winners from starters and an AEI/CI deficit of .28.

3. Dixie Union ($35,000 Lanes End Farm) - Another high-priced sire that drags his mares down significantly (1.62 AEI vs. 1.99 CI) and fails to reach the 10% stakes winners from starters benchmark. Buyers are clearly paying too much for his progeny at the sales.

4. Speightstown ($35,000 WinStar Farm) - Undoubtedly will settle in as a useful sire for years to come, but struggles to get classic types and isn't performing up to his opportunities.

5. Stormy Atlantic ($35,000 Hill 'n' Dale Farms) - Doesn't need a huge fee adjustment, but there are a handful of sires standing for significantly less money that are putting up comparable numbers. Overall stakes production and AEI are more in line with sires in the 15-25k range.

Steve R
11-13-2010, 06:18 PM
http://www.thoroughbredreview.com/StallionWatch.htm

Worst Values, $35,000 to $50,000

1. Empire Maker ($50,000 Juddmonte Farms) - Should be doing more if Juddmonte wants investors to write $50,000 checks. Overall stakes production and earning power is moderate at best when considering he's getting mares with a 3.88 Comparable Index.

2. Mr. Greeley ($50,000 Gainesway Farm) - Track numbers have never jived with what buyers are spending for his progeny in the sales ring. No one should be asking $50,000 for a sire with barely 6% stakes winners from starters and an AEI/CI deficit of .28.

3. Dixie Union ($35,000 Lanes End Farm) - Another high-priced sire that drags his mares down significantly (1.62 AEI vs. 1.99 CI) and fails to reach the 10% stakes winners from starters benchmark. Buyers are clearly paying too much for his progeny at the sales.

4. Speightstown ($35,000 WinStar Farm) - Undoubtedly will settle in as a useful sire for years to come, but struggles to get classic types and isn't performing up to his opportunities.

5. Stormy Atlantic ($35,000 Hill 'n' Dale Farms) - Doesn't need a huge fee adjustment, but there are a handful of sires standing for significantly less money that are putting up comparable numbers. Overall stakes production and AEI are more in line with sires in the 15-25k range.
Pretty hard to justify some of the higher priced stallions by these criteria:

A.P. Indy ($150K, AEI 3.05, CI 3.52)
Giant's Causeway ($100K, AEI 1.95, CI 3.16)
Pulpit ($60K, AEI 2.02, CI 2.69)

Thankfully there is more to it than that.

Java Gold@TFT
11-14-2010, 07:21 AM
JoanieD - retired sound? He never he even made it to the Travers. He retired after finishing 2nd in the Jim Dandy. Although not as bad as Unbridled's Song, EM is another one of the Unbridled's who has passed along some questionable soundness. Not sure how his genes will cross with all of the Sunday Silence in Japan but if he was even a little more of a stud here then I doubt he would be leaving at this point in his career.