PDA

View Full Version : Congressional waste meeting?? IRONY!!!

newtothegame
11-12-2010, 09:02 AM
Stimulus panel probes Porkulus waste — at the Ritz Carlton?

posted at 2:15 pm on November 11, 2010 by Ed Morrissey

Rest assured that Sheriff Joe Biden has kept an eagle eye on waste in the Porkulus package, just as he promised. In fact, the panel in charge of fighting waste plans to meet later this month — during the week of Thanksgiving, no less — to review the expenditures of the ARRA to ensure that they catch any waste or fraud. They’ll hunker down in some government basement with flickering flourescent lighting, wearing their green eyeshades and wielding their spreadsheets, in order to ensure that every taxpayer dollar went to its intended target … right?

Not exactly (http://www.washingtonexaminer.com/opinion/blogs/beltway-confidential/Obama-panel-probes-stimulus-waste----at-Ritz-Carlton-107236598.html):

Members of a key panel created by the American Recovery and Reinvestment Act, better known as the stimulus bill, have scheduled a meeting on November 22 to consider ways to prevent “fraud, waste, and abuse of Recovery Act funds.” The meeting will be held at the super-luxe Ritz Carlton Hotel in Phoenix, Arizona.

The group is the Recovery Independent Advisory Panel, a sub-committee of the larger Recovery Accountability and Transparency board (sometimes known as the RAT board). The stimulus bill set up the Recovery Independent Advisory Panel, or RIAP, to make recommendations to identify and prevent waste of the bill’s $814 billion in stimulus spending.

“The purpose of the November 22, 2010 meeting is to allow the RIAP to have an open dialogue, with input from the public, on issues relating to fraud, waste, and abuse of Recovery Act funds,” says a notice in the Federal Register (http://www.federalregister.gov/articles/2010/11/09/2010-28243/agenda-and-notice-of-partially-closed-meeting-of-the-recovery-independent-advisory-panel).
(http://www.washingtonexaminer.com/opinion/blogs/beltway-confidential/Obama-panel-probes-stimulus-waste----at-Ritz-Carlton-107236598.html#ixzz14zXCOWUE)

Two questions come to mind here. First is the obvious: with all of the meeting spaces available to the US government in its own facilities, why does the RIAP need to meet in a hotel at all, let alone the “super-luxe” Ritz Carlton? If they want “input from the public,” holding the meeting in a school gymnasium would make more sense. After all, with room rates at the Ritz starting at $229 for that date, there won’t be too many members of the public following the RIAP into the lap of luxury.

Second question: why Arizona? While it’s true that the state was one of the big winners in Porkulus, with more than $10 billion of it spent in the state, it hardly seems useful for looking at national accountability. There is a higher concentration of such states in the Ohio Valley and eastern Midwest region than in the interior West, as American Progress (http://www.americanprogress.org/issues/2009/01/house_stimulus_overview.html) helpfully mapped before the bill’s passage. Would it not be easier to review the records of Porkulus from inside Washington DC, where the money originates, rather than moving the entire panel and its staff to a five-star resort in the Camelback corridor in Phoenix?

This looks less like an exercise in accountability than an example for the need of it.

http://hotair.com/archives/2010/11/11/stimulus-panel-probes-porkulus-waste-at-the-ritz-carlton/

Obviously, these fools didnt get the memo about spending???
So, I am posting the address I have for this commission. Feel free to write or call his office and explain then how you feel as TAX PAYING CITIZENS about THIER abuse and WASTE as well.

Glen Walker, Executive Director, Recovery Independent Advisory Panel, 1717 Pennsylvania Avenue, NW., Suite 700, Washington, DC 20006; Telephone 202-254-7900

http://www.federalregister.gov/articles/2010/11/09/2010-28243/agenda-and-notice-of-partially-closed-meeting-of-the-recovery-independent-advisory-panel#p-6

Here is a list of the members.
http://www.recovery.gov/About/board/Pages/BoardMembers.aspx

newtothegame
11-12-2010, 09:09 AM
Here also is a link to report suspected fraud or waste.....I suggest we report THEM as fraud and WASTE!

http://www.recovery.gov/Contact/ReportFraud/Pages/Report_Fraud.aspx

Tom
11-12-2010, 09:14 AM
Our government has become totally out of step. They do not represent the people in any way whatsoever. Either party. They are liars and thieves, and the best and brightest of them are incompetent at best.

Time to wipe the slate clean and come up with a new system. This one has completely failed.

newtothegame
11-12-2010, 09:28 AM
Completely agree Tom....
I just got off the phone with Senator Vitters office (my senator) .....
Spoke to a pleasant young lady who assured me of Mr Vitters voting record and as I explained to her I could care less about his PAST voting record. As a matter of fact, it is MY voting record that the senator needs to be concerned with.

She said I should hear back from the senator some time today....we shall see.
Until that time, I am gonna continue to circulate this news I posted above and see if we can somehow get more people "awake" to the short commings of these freaking spend all, above the law, SOB's in washington!

ArlJim78
11-12-2010, 09:31 AM
Whatever stimulus funds have not been spent yet should simply be returned to the treasury. Then they can cancel their meeting at the Ritz, pocket those expenses, and not have to worry about any more waste fraud and abuse. It's pointless now to think they are going to stimulate anything by passing out money. That much we now know.

newtothegame
11-12-2010, 09:48 AM
LOL...go figure....tried calling the office in washington (provided in link above) and a nice young man by name of "Steven" answered. Obviously, he just answers phones.
He said he would put me through to a lady who could address my concerns.
Low and behold, she wasnt answering so he said he could put me through to her voice mail to which I agreed. Must of been a problem with phone service as I somehow got disconnected.

I called back, explained how "her" voice mail didnt pick up and he suggested I speak with someone else and he would put me through.
But, that person (who he attempted to put me through too ) wasnt answering either....go figure!
So I left my name and number and am looking forward to a call back....yeah right!!!

Needless to say...THIS IS WHAT YOUR WASHINGTON LEADERSHIP IS PROVIDING TO YOU, THE TAX PAYER. Someone is gonna hear me either on the phone, and or with my VOTE.

Tom
11-12-2010, 10:39 AM
Time for a national strike. Shut 'er down.

GameTheory
11-12-2010, 10:58 AM
It's pointless now to think they are going to stimulate anything by passing out money. That much we now know.We knew that 200 years ago, but it hasn't stopped very many governments from trying since then. The problem is those few moments in history when the forces for inflationary "money-printing" were actually defeated during one of these economic upheavals are forgotten because things got better quickly in those instances (and there actually are a few, all successes). We just remember the long & drawn-out economic disasters where they yet again thought they could spend their way back to prosperity, and for some reason we think it worked even though those are the FAILURES in the historical record, and they ALL FOLLOW THE SAME STUPID FAILED PATTERN that can't possibly work and can in fact only have the result is always does -- the exact opposite of stimulating the economy.

Wouldn't it be great if we would actually learn from history? Imagine how things could be...

newtothegame
11-12-2010, 09:45 PM
Quick update....no return calls as of this evening....:bang:

boxcar
11-12-2010, 10:40 PM
Time for a national strike. Shut 'er down.

BINGO! In fact, DOUBLE BINGO! :ThmbUp: :ThmbUp:

Boxcar

boxcar
11-12-2010, 10:42 PM
Quick update....no return calls as of this evening....:bang:

They're probably still out to lunch. :rolleyes:

Boxcar