PDA

View Full Version : Handicapping/Wagering Applications In Development

WeirdWilly
11-12-2010, 12:43 AM
OK, I admit it. I am more experienced as a "Beginner's All-purpose Symbolic Instruction Code" programmer than as a handicapper, so I would appreciate some assistance. In return, I hope I can provide some tools to make the game more fun and profitable.

Recently, I have created a couple simple but useful handicapping applications using Visual Basic .NET Express 2010. The first is an HTML based "highlighting" Past Performance viewer.

This was inspired by a former girlfriend's idea to use color highlighters to mark up the charts. Green for leads and close positions, yellow and reds for far back, blue for matching tracks, distances, and jockeys.

I still have several ideas of what I want to do with this app, and others. Ultimately, I want to turn it into a handicapping and wagering "process" application. It would provide not only selection assistance, it would:1. Provide a personal physicality rating and tracking system based on Joe Takech's "Beat The Beam". It will be designed for the user to efficiently rate and comment such features as the horses posture, gait, coat, front and rear legs and quarters, head and ears on a -5 to +5 scale.. These factors can not only be used to provide handicapping criteria for the current race, the data can be stored for decision making in future races.
2. Track bets by race, bankroll played, bet type, etc. This would not only provide ROI reports, it will allow you to add a justification: WHY are you making this bet? After the race, the player can enter their opinion as to what went right or wrong.
As to the viewer, I will be adding additional highlighting features, such as the ability to create stored profiles, line filtering, true times, calculated velocities, along with a deceleration rating based on the speed from start to second call vs. the speed from first to third call.

The second application is a graphic toteboard. This application, built by data mining the Brisnet Supertote in a VB .NET webbrowser object, uses bar graphs of win, place, and/or show pools to search for pool inefficiencies and bridge jumpers. I've had some OK show hits with it, but I have some additional features to add to it to make it truly useful.1. A tote history, allowing an animated display of the graphs.
2. A bridge jumper alert, which can notify on extraordinary pool amounts and/or percentages via e-mail/SMS, screen display, possibly even an audio alert using voice synthesis.

3. An exacta highlighter which would make particular exacta pays stand out on the grid. This could be for either player selections or based on the tote (for example, highest place to win ratio for horses going off at 8-1 or more over first and second favorites).

My intention is more to use this as a training and resume piece than to make money (trying to) sell it. Nevertheless, I am dedicated to making it an app suite that is useful to professionals and recreational players alike.
I would appreciate some opinions. Is anyone else interested in testing and using these applications? Can anyone recommend additional features for the interface or reports? Does anyone have any spare server space and bandwith for the apps, so I can provide it for free? Is there anything I should know about the Trackmaster all-you-can eat CSV special at $79.99 - are there ANY differences between Trackmaster and BRIS?

Thanks for you help, and score big!