PDA

View Full Version : Keeping up with the Joneses: J. Larry to return

The_Knight_Sky
11-11-2010, 07:11 PM
Trainer Larry Jones to come out of retirement at Oaklawn Park
By Mary Rampellini http://drf.com/news/trainer-larry-jones-come-out-retirement-oaklawn-park

Larry Jones, who retired from training last November after reaching the pinnacle of the sport with Grade 1 winners Proud Spell, Hard Spun, Island Sand, and Kodiak Kowboy, plans to resume his training career when the Oaklawn Park meet opens in January.

“I’ve got to get off my butt and get back to work,” Jones, 54, said Thursday. “My wife said I’ve had enough rest!”

Cindy Jones took over her husband’s stable when he retired, and will continue to train the 28 horses currently in her care at Delaware Park through the end of the year. Larry Jones said he will have a 40-horse stable at Oaklawn, with a handful of horses for the Fox Hill Farm operation of Rick Porter.

“I got a lot of phone time off,” he said. “And I got to do a lot of stuff on my health. I feel better than I have in 10 to 15 years, as far as my energy levels.”

JustRalph
11-11-2010, 09:25 PM
Wow......... I could have never seen this coming

point given
11-11-2010, 09:30 PM
Really glad to hear this news, he is a straight shooter and top trainer.:ThmbUp:

Cardus
11-11-2010, 10:28 PM
Rumor has it that he spoke to Brett Favre before he announced his comeback.

Valuist
11-11-2010, 11:50 PM
Or Sugar Ray Leonard.

Or Michael Jordan

Or James Harrison

Or Shane Sellers

Or Ken McPeek

and on and on it goes

lamboguy
11-12-2010, 12:00 AM
i am glad he worked out his health issues. maybe he needed to eat right and exercise and he got his head together and just did it. he will be a better trainer too after the year off.

slew101
11-12-2010, 02:58 PM
Had to figure he was still involved anyways. Probably missed talking to the press the most.

rastajenk
11-12-2010, 03:03 PM
You never really can leave this game. Many have tried and failed. :cool:

Zman179
11-12-2010, 05:48 PM
Horsemen do not retire from racing. They just don't.

Racing is like a Roach Motel: you check in, but you don't check out.

joanied
11-12-2010, 06:12 PM
I don't care why...but I am soooooo happy that he's back:jump:
I wasn't sure he could really stay away...the backside does get in your blood, your heart, your head...it ain't easy to walk away.

Welcome 'home', Larry:ThmbUp:

rstone
11-12-2010, 08:52 PM
I've always been a fan of Jones. Good to have him back in the game.

jldonah
11-12-2010, 09:15 PM
From what I saw in Delaware, he never was away. I have no idea, nor really care, how he and his wife divided duties, but he was there at saddling in the paddock, so it seems undeniable that duties were divided. It is also undeniable that the two of them are very successful. Their strength is hands-on training, so why not pursue the strategy of having a smallish string of highish class mature racers and a few younger ones with promise? Owning quite a few of the stable is the icing on the cake.

Mr Saratoga
11-12-2010, 10:58 PM
He was out in name only, I for one am very happy to have him back. I miss his cowboy hat in the winners circle.