PDA

View Full Version : Do You Need Any More Proof?

Cardus
11-11-2010, 05:02 PM
http://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing/articles/59856/blames-stud-fee-at-35000

Blame's stud fee has been set at $35,000. That's it? $35,000?

When Zenyatta is retired, her stud fee will be at least five times, if not 10 times, greater, than that paltry amount.

Further evidence that she should be Horse-of-the-Year. No Horse-of-the-Year would be listed at a mere $35,000.

PhantomOnTour
11-11-2010, 05:05 PM
Say what?

Cardus
11-11-2010, 05:05 PM
Say what?

I can't believe that it is only $35,000 either.

Robert Goren
11-11-2010, 05:06 PM
How I love Sarcasm.:lol:

horses4courses
11-11-2010, 05:09 PM
:blush:

PhantomOnTour
11-11-2010, 05:10 PM
I can't believe that it is only $35,000 either.
Classic :D

Market Mover
11-11-2010, 05:18 PM

When Zenyatta is retired, her stud fee will be at least five times, if not 10 times, greater, than that paltry amount.

Further evidence that she should be Horse-of-the-Year. No Horse-of-the-Year would be listed at a mere $35,000.

She lacks the necessary tools to charge a stud fee..but im sure the Mosses would be happy to take 35k or more each time a stallion goes behind her..

Cardus
11-11-2010, 05:25 PM
She lacks the necessary tools to charge a stud fee..but im sure the Mosses would be happy to take 35k or more each time a stallion goes behind her..

They do it from behind?

And get paid to do it that way?

FenceBored
11-11-2010, 05:52 PM
They do it from behind?

And get paid to do it that way?

I do believe bondage and leather are also involved.

Fager Fan
11-11-2010, 06:53 PM

You're right. As long as her foal has 4 legs, it'll be worth at least 10 times that paltry fee.

GaryG
11-11-2010, 07:01 PM
Just when you think you have seen it all.....you haven't. :eek:

jldonah
11-11-2010, 09:25 PM
Seriously--if it's possible on this thread--talking with friends yesterday, we brought up the idea that stud fees might be waived for a share of her first foal. Comments?, criticism?
I think Daylami would be a good match...others said she should go to a sprinter.

Linny
11-11-2010, 09:48 PM
They do wear leather halters or bridles...

If Z can get a "stud fee" I'd like to meet (and hire) the lawyer that negotiates it.

Valuist
11-11-2010, 09:56 PM
It just seems like the real true champion fillies and mares, the best of the best, don't make particularly good broodmares. It seems like the best broodmares were good racehorses (maybe Grade 3 level quality) with good bloodlines.

nijinski
11-11-2010, 10:06 PM
Zenyatta would probably be very desirable for European breeding interest due to her running style and pedigree.
If I had a nice stallion I'd give her a discount , and definately have some strong crew on hand for the big girl. Wouldn't want to see a stallion kicked from coast to coast.

sandpit
11-11-2010, 11:39 PM
It just seems like the real true champion fillies and mares, the best of the best, don't make particularly good broodmares. It seems like the best broodmares were good racehorses (maybe Grade 3 level quality) with good bloodlines.

Except for Personal Ensign

FenceBored
11-12-2010, 07:29 AM
Seriously--if it's possible on this thread--talking with friends yesterday, we brought up the idea that stud fees might be waived for a share of her first foal. Comments?, criticism?
I think Daylami would be a good match...others said she should go to a sprinter.

Oh, I think a few farms might be willing to go in Darby Dan style to have one of their stallions cover her first.

Have a mare that is blacktype or a blacktype producer? She may be eligible for a complimentary season or reduced stud fee. All stallions are participating in this incentive. The level of blacktype achieved will determine which stallion for which she may be eligible.
-- http://www.darbydan.com/breeding_incentives.html

depalma113
11-12-2010, 08:10 AM
A P Indy

Fager Fan
11-12-2010, 08:28 AM

The Mosses wouldn't give away half interest in the foal just so they don't have to pay the stud fee. That'd be a terrible deal for them. They'll pay the stud fee for the stallion they choose.

Daylami isn't a good enough stallion for her. She'll go to a top stallion. She shouldn't go to a sprinter because a breeder should send like to like. If you get the worst from each, then you could get a plodding sprinter.

Fager Fan
11-12-2010, 10:43 AM
PS: Regarding Daylami again (and some people suggesting Sea The Stars), I don't get why some suggest foreign stallions for American mares. How many top dirt mares can we name who were sent to be bred to a foreign stallion? The logistics make it expensive and wearing on the mare and then there's the whole matter of the foreign stallions being turf stallions.

They'll send her to one of the best stallions in the U.S. It's also unlikely that they'd send her to an unproven stallion (like the Sea The Stars suggestion) because that could waste one of her offspring with that mating and they have no stallion interest that I can imagine one taking that risk with (unlike Jackson with Curlin and Rachel).

cj's dad
11-12-2010, 10:56 AM
I do believe bondage and leather are also involved.

And if the stallion is ummm not interested at the right time lets just say he gets a helping "hand" ;)

Stillriledup
11-12-2010, 11:37 AM

Her stud fee?

FenceBored
11-12-2010, 11:50 AM
Her stud fee?

Yes, the fee she charges the stud for the privilege of covering her. What, you thought she was going to pay? :)

cj's dad
11-12-2010, 12:47 PM
It's all about nature and math.

The gestation of a mare is 320-370 days on average; so Z can basically punch out a foal once a year.

Blame, if found to be fertile, has many more opportunities to reproduce.

I'd much rather be shopping Blame around than Z.

Linny
11-12-2010, 02:42 PM
Mares don't have stud fees, Cardus, mare owners PAY fees and for the fee they get a foal.

Cardus
11-12-2010, 04:32 PM
Mares don't have stud fees, Cardus, mare owners PAY fees and for the fee they get a foal.

I have followed racing for over 30 years and you are the first person to set me straight on this. Thanks.

joanied
11-12-2010, 05:02 PM

Her stud fee:eek: aside:lol: ...

An in depth study was recently done about top race mares and their foals...and top race mares are the best producers in getting better foals...anyone that knows about breeding also knows it's crap shoot and very good race horses have come from mares with little race record, but within this study, top race mares come out way better than others.
The one thing about the really good race mares and that sometimes they do have problems getting in foal and carrying to term...but according to this study (published by the BloodHorse), that's what you want to produce a really good race horse...and needless to say, the covering stallions do need to 'nick' well.
Guess that's one reason the top race mares sell for millions!!

Cardus
11-12-2010, 05:11 PM
I am not getting into the nicks, but it's safe to say that the stallion to which they ultimately breed better have speed.

(Which is why, unless the cross is too good to pass up, would they want to breed Zenyatta to AP Indy?)

Pell Mell
11-12-2010, 05:24 PM
I think the best bred and best horse in many a year is Big Brown. Zen would seem to be just enough out cross for him. I also think the next TC winner will be sired by him. Just my pedigree opinion. ;)

FenceBored
11-12-2010, 05:37 PM
A P Indy

Hmm, will the Mosses let their girl ship to the farm that stands Jess Jackson's Curlin?

point given
11-12-2010, 05:45 PM
Still hoping the Moss's reconsider her retirement and send her across the pond to either Dubai or Europe for a race on the turf. The way she runs seems ideal for the turf. No ?

joanied
11-12-2010, 08:14 PM
I seriously doubt they'll send her overseas...I think she could win the Dubia World Cup...but never happen, she stays home.

tucker6
11-13-2010, 03:05 PM
I was surprised to read that Quality Road will also stand for $35,000 per live foal. Maybe he moved to the back to check out Zenyatta. That would be a novel excuse.